What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit Backfield - can anyone make sense of it? (1 Viewer)

gianthater

Footballguy
Trying to assess the situation is giving me fits.

It hasn't surpirsed me at all that Best is having trouble getting cleared -- those concussions were horrific and back-to-back. At the time, I said I didn't think he'd play again. Even if he is allowed to, if the Lions try to make him a lead RB again, not only are they dumb, but I'd say criminally irresponsible.

I really liked Leshoure coming out in last year's rookie class. To me, his tape was the best of the RB bunch. The injury is one of the bad ones. One that often/usually leaves an althlete diminished. So, having not seen him in action, there's no way to know what he is now, what he can and can't do, how good he will be.

Kevin Smith is often injured also, but supposedly in the best shape of his career currently. He's been mych maligned even when he was a fantasy producer. He had "bad" games running the ball but still putting up 20+ points in PPR leagues.

My gut says to assume that the concussed and injured guys aren't as likely to play or play well as the more veteran currently healthy guy.

Anyone out there have some insight/perspective into the situation?

Take Mikel Leshoure late if you need a RB, otherwise just leave the situation alone imo. Jahvid Best and Kevin Smith have each proven to be both injury prone, and poor runners of the football even when healthy.

Take Mikel Leshoure late if you need a RB, otherwise just leave the situation alone imo. Jahvid Best and Kevin Smith have each proven to be both injury prone, and poor runners of the football even when healthy.
Smith has definitely shown some nice flashes, he's a complete back if he's healthy...which is never unfortunately.

Best is not cleared and even if and when he is cleared he is one hit away from retirement. Mickey is suspended and coming off a torn achilles and now has a hammy injury. When all is said and done Kevin Smith will have the most FF points of the guys on the roster and you can probably get him at a good value.

Pick up Ryan Grant or Cedrick Benson when Detroit is forced to sign one of them because those guys are injured.
I don't get why the grass looks greener for these two bums. Grant is done - he has no speed left. Benson? just a plodder. Do you really think he fits the Detroit offense?K. Smith will start and be fine.M. Leshoure is coming back from a terrible injury. He will be limited all year, imo.Best = D-O-N-E.

Pick up Leshoure then Kevin Smith. You probably don't need Smith (unless you can start a flex) because he's just starting to begin the year but it'd be good to have insurance, I think he gives way to Leshoure at some point. Real cheap 3 & 4, been pairing them with Ryan Williams.

Kevin Smith will be startable the games he's the starter. I wouldn't waste a pick on Best, I can't see where he's even startable, it's not like they're going to feed him 20 times a game and he's not going to be their goaline back.

LeShoure showed promise before being injured last season so it just depends how he comes back from that. I wouldn't draft him because even if he does come back, it'll be a slow process, he isn't going to fire right from the gates if at all.

I'd take Kevin Smith late as a spot Rb2 or flex starter and just see how long he's good for, the price is right for him.

Kevin Smith/thread
agree completely...I just hope his price doesn't spike too much. Yes injuries are definitely a concern but he has top 10 ability in that offense based on how he looked last year. Hoping he has a very quiet preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit won't pick up Grant or Benson at this point unless there's another injury. They'll stick with Smith and LeShore and use Keiland Williams and Bell as depth.

I've been grabbing Kevin Smith and Joique Bell wherever I can...therefore it must be THE SHARK MOVE

I still expect Best to be eventually cleared and moved into more of a Sproles-type role. Yes, his value has obviously fallen, but if you have a chance to draft him late I think it's a mistake to say he's undraftable, IMO.

'dickey moe said:
I still expect Best to be eventually cleared and moved into more of a Sproles-type role. Yes, his value has obviously fallen, but if you have a chance to draft him late I think it's a mistake to say he's undraftable, IMO.
Undraftable is a strong word and I've learned to never say never in this hobby but I just can't imagine being so desperate as to start Best at some point this season.I could see picking Best up off waivers in a best ball type league where you don't have to start him but get his upside ability when he does play.Btw, both Bell and Williams ran well tonight and Schwartz said after the game he was impressed with them. That backfield is muddy and Rbbc all the way.

'dickey moe said:
Undraftable is a strong word and I've learned to never say never in this hobby but I just can't imagine being so desperate as to start Best at some point this season.I could see picking Best up off waivers in a best ball type league where you don't have to start him but get his upside ability when he does play.Btw, both Bell and Williams ran well tonight and Schwartz said after the game he was impressed with them. That backfield is muddy and Rbbc all the way.
Nothing wrong with depth, but I'd bet Smith will get 70 percent of the carries in that RBBC. Can't read much into a preseason game where Bell and Williams run well against 2nd and third-string defenders.

Smith has definitely shown some nice flashes, he's a complete back if he's healthy...which is never unfortunately.
Smith has a 3.9 career YPC with 561 carries, so clearly any nice flashes he has shown running the ball don't happen all that frequently historically. He started out hot last year after pounding on the Carolina Panthers, but in his last 4 games of the season he didn't have a single game where he had a YPC above 3.9. Smith is a good receiver out of the backfield, but unfortunately for him so is both Best and Leshoure. Given that there's no reason to believe that Best will be ready once the season starts, Smith may hold some value as part of a RBBC with Leshoure as the more experienced back; but given that I think Leshoure is a much better runner and is a decent receiver in his own right, I think there's a much better chance that Leshoure runs away with the job to put up above average fantasy numbers than there is for Kevin Smith to do the same.

Smith has a 3.9 career YPC with 561 carries, so clearly any nice flashes he has shown running the ball don't happen all that frequently historically. He started out hot last year after pounding on the Carolina Panthers, but in his last 4 games of the season he didn't have a single game where he had a YPC above 3.9. Smith is a good receiver out of the backfield, but unfortunately for him so is both Best and Leshoure. Given that there's no reason to believe that Best will be ready once the season starts, Smith may hold some value as part of a RBBC with Leshoure as the more experienced back; but given that I think Leshoure is a much better runner and is a decent receiver in his own right, I think there's a much better chance that Leshoure runs away with the job to put up above average fantasy numbers than there is for Kevin Smith to do the same.
I think people are putting way too much stock in Leshoure. He ruptured his Achilles, is hurt again right now, has never taken a snap in the NFL, and is suspended for the first two games of the year. I don't think he is going to waltz in and become the starter and be fantasy relevant.

I think people are putting way too much stock in Leshoure. He ruptured his Achilles, is hurt again right now, has never taken a snap in the NFL, and is suspended for the first two games of the year. I don't think he is going to waltz in and become the starter and be fantasy relevant.
You may certainly be right, Leshoure's recent injury woes are disconcerting to say the least, especially the possibility that he will have lost some of his running ability after that ruptured Achilles. The thing is, I've already seen a healthy Kevin Smith receive a full load of carries and he didn't do so well; at least with Leshoure there's the potential for studly numbers.

To be fair, those teams he was playing on were downright dreadful. I think you're underestimating Smith's talent here- injuries are obviously a major concern, but he has more than enough ability to put up very good numbers if he can manage to stay healthy.

What are peoples thoughts on Joique Bell and Keiland Williams and who to own if it comes down to them? I think it's just as likely one of these guys is playing by week 5 than LeShoure/Smith/Best.

The guy who impressed the hell out of me last night was Joique Bell.

The guy lead the legaue in preseason yards last year and he's well on his way to doing the same thing this year.

What is the story on this guy? Why hasn't he gotten a shot?

The kid can run, great vision, great cuts, burst, speed to turn the corner. Absolutely nothing wrong with his running so what is the issue because he should be playing on Sundays.

The guy who impressed the hell out of me last night was Joique Bell.The guy lead the legaue in preseason yards last year and he's well on his way to doing the same thing this year.What is the story on this guy? Why hasn't he gotten a shot? The kid can run, great vision, great cuts, burst, speed to turn the corner. Absolutely nothing wrong with his running so what is the issue because he should be playing on Sundays.
This is why the Lions did not go after Benson or Grant.

I've been grabbing Kevin Smith and Joique Bell wherever I can...therefore it must be THE SHARK MOVE
:thumbup: Smith will be great until he gets hurt,, Bell is they guy most likely to have value by playoff time. Best is the guy I am really interested in. With all of the bad news coming out about Best I would have to think his ADP will plummet. He is the type of guy who if you can get to start 3 or 4 times as a flex play or RB2 in bye weeks can win you those games and a first round bye in the fantasy playoffs.

To be fair, those teams he was playing on were downright dreadful. I think you're underestimating Smith's talent here- injuries are obviously a major concern, but he has more than enough ability to put up very good numbers if he can manage to stay healthy.
What evidence do we have of this? He's put up mediocre or worse rushing stats every season he's been in the NFL so far. If Leshoure and Best never get healthy I could see Smith holding some value in PPR leagues since he's actually a pretty good receiver, but outside PPR leagues I don't anticipate him having much potential value in FF.

'Boone22 said:
What evidence do we have of this? He's put up mediocre or worse rushing stats every season he's been in the NFL so far. If Leshoure and Best never get healthy I could see Smith holding some value in PPR leagues since he's actually a pretty good receiver, but outside PPR leagues I don't anticipate him having much potential value in FF.
Why do people keep saying this? Look at his first year in the league compared to Matt Forte (also a rookie that year)...

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD 2008 DET 16 238 976 61.0 4.1 2 8 39 286 17.9 7.3 0 0 1

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost

2008 CHI 16 316 1238 77.4 3.9 3 8 63 477 29.8 7.6 0 4 1

Forte played on a better team with a better offense and got more opporunity than Smith, yet Smith had essentially equal YPC and YPR. Smith just needs opportunity and to stay healthy and he could produce like Fotre has.
When he plays, he looks good. He was highly thought of coming out of college. The fact that he put up decent stats on a bad team should not be a knock on him. Health is far and away the biggest concern, not talent.

Why do people keep saying this? Go look at his first year in the league (2008) and compare him to Matt Forte (both rookies that year). The only reason Forte outperformed him was because of opportunity. Smith's YPC and YPR were equal to Forte despite playing on a crappy team with a MUCH poorer offense.

You may certainly be right, Leshoure's recent injury woes are disconcerting to say the least, especially the possibility that he will have lost some of his running ability after that ruptured Achilles. The thing is, I've already seen a healthy Kevin Smith receive a full load of carries and he didn't do so well; at least with Leshoure there's the potential for studly numbers.
i disagree. i think, given the surrounding talent on those putrid teams, kevin smith looked at least competent, if not legitimately talented.

Why do people keep saying this? Go look at his first year in the league (2008) and compare him to Matt Forte (both rookies that year). The only reason Forte outperformed him was because of opportunity. Smith's YPC and YPR were equal to Forte despite playing on a crappy team with a MUCH poorer offense.
That's fine, but we actually have evidence that Matt Forte has the ability to put up good numbers as he's done so the past 2 seasons despite playing behind a terrible Bears offensive line. Kevin Smith has never put up good numbers, only mediocre or worse.

That's fine, but we actually have evidence that Matt Forte has the ability to put up good numbers as he's done so the past 2 seasons despite playing behind a terrible Bears offensive line. Kevin Smith has never put up good numbers, only mediocre or worse.
By the time you get enough evidence to convince yourself that Smith is as talented as Forte, you'll have to pay a premium for him.

Have you ever watched him play? His rookie year he had over 1250 total yards, 8 TDs and a 4.1 ypc on an 0-16 team, quite possibly the worst team in NFL history. This should go without saying, but you can't tell everything by just looking at the stats. Also, it seems odd to say that LeShoure, who has never taken an NFL snap and is coming off of a major injury, is a far better runner than Smith.I don't expect him to stay healthy myself, but he's more talented than you think.

Kevin Smith looked great last night. You can tell he is much healthier than he has been since his rookie year.

One important thing to me is that Smith is exceptional at picking up the blitz...one of the best in the league in my opinion. I expect him to be the 3rd down back at a minimum just for that reason alone.

We all know Leshoure is coming back from a torn Achilles. That injury may heal and he could get his burst back, but the thing that worries me is other injuries related to perhaps overcompensating for the Achilles...such as the current strained hamstring that has kept him out for 10 days.

We also all know Best's concussion history.

So what does the above tell us? Absolutely nothing. There are simply too many variables. Smith seems to be the safest at the moment. That is probably the only sure thing. But drafting Smith too early could backfire because he would probably not have enough value if all 3 are active.

I think drafting the one or even two with the lowest value at the time you draft is a good option. An example is drafting Best late. I can't see him going early because of the concussions. Late picks are the time to take a chance and a healthy Best can put up top 20 numbers.

I definitely would not reach for any of them because who knows which RBs will play during the year.

Id agree this is the shark move. So much td value in this offense. Seen one game where Calvin Johnson was doubled teamed at the 1 by Sean Peyton which allowed Smith to walk in for a td. In ppr 5 catches is a minimum.

A lot of this is speculation, but keep it in the back of your mind just in case:

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports Lions GM Martin Mayhew has been calling other teams in search of a running back.This report suggests not only that the organization is aiming higher than free agent Ryan Grant, but also that Kevin Smith's ankle injury could end up leaving his status up in the air for the season opener. Saints power back Chris Ivory makes a lot of sense; he's fourth on the depth chart, and undrafted rookie Travaris Cadet has impressed in preseason action.

A lot of this is speculation, but keep it in the back of your mind just in case:

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports Lions GM Martin Mayhew has been calling other teams in search of a running back.This report suggests not only that the organization is aiming higher than free agent Ryan Grant, but also that Kevin Smith's ankle injury could end up leaving his status up in the air for the season opener. Saints power back Chris Ivory makes a lot of sense; he's fourth on the depth chart, and undrafted rookie Travaris Cadet has impressed in preseason action.
Just saw that too. Was talked about in theory yesterday by the Sirius guys. They specifically mentioned Chris Ivory. I guess that would make a lot of sense because they said that one of the things the Saints might get in return in Lawrence Jackson and the saints could use the D-line help.

With Week One fast approaching, Mayhew may be changing his mind. Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com reports that Mayhew has been calling other teams in hopes of dealing for a running back. This doesn’t come as any great surprise. Detroit’s running back depth chart features Kevin Smith dealing with an ankle injury, Mikel Leshoure facing a two-game suspension and Jahvid Best on the PUP list because he can’t get cleared after last year’s concussion.The news suggests that the Lions don’t have any interest in running backs on the open market like Kahlil Bell and Ryan Grant, although Mayhew may be pursuing multiple avenues in hopes of getting another body onto the roster. Names like Knowshon Moreno and Chris Ivory come to mind as trade options since they appear to have fallen out of favor in Denver and New Orleans, respectively. Some Lions fans will likely want to add Maurice Jones-Drew to the list, but there’s no sign that the Jaguars are planning to deal him.

Just saw that too. Was talked about in theory yesterday by the Sirius guys. They specifically mentioned Chris Ivory. I guess that would make a lot of sense because they said that one of the things the Saints might get in return in Lawrence Jackson and the saints could use the D-line help.
I highly doubt the Lions would trade Lawrence Jackson for Ivory.

Pick up Ryan Grant or Cedrick Benson when Detroit is forced to sign one of them because those guys are injured.
I don't get why the grass looks greener for these two bums. Grant is done - he has no speed left. Benson? just a plodder. Do you really think he fits the Detroit offense?K. Smith will start and be fine.M. Leshoure is coming back from a terrible injury. He will be limited all year, imo.Best = D-O-N-E.
This.Smith has proven he can put up nice numbers. Leshoure will be nothing more than a plodder, at best, due to the type of injury he sustained. Very rarely do RBs come back fully from an achilles and they lose explosiveness. My wife is a physical therapist and she said those injuries are really bad for RBs. There is also tons of research out there. I drafted Leshoure with my first pick last year and after researching the injury, I dropped him. I needed the roster spot and a situational plodder didn't warrant the spot. Best = Done. He'll require a drool cup after he suffers another concussion. And it's only a matter of time if/when he plays again.

Would Anthony Dixon be worth the Lions looking at if he gets caught in a numbers game in San Francisco?

The last report said he had probably played his way onto the roster, though.

Users who are viewing this thread