What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (3 Viewers)

First try on chat...Charmaine was not very helpful.

Offered $5 a month for 12 months and would not budge on anything else...didn't offer any phone number or pin.

Easiest yet, first person I talked to offered free Red zone or ST. Hemmed and hawed a bit, up the offer with $20 off per month. Asked about including RZ, she said could upgrade for $99 but should be able to discount once in the system. Final tally, ST + RZ, pay $25 once and get $20 off per month for a year (w/year commitment).

I get the RZC for free on FIOS (and my first year with it so I'll get NFLN for the first time, now that I'm off TWC). I DID consider DirectTV's "Manhattan" plan just to watch my Jets games now in Pittsburgh... but I guess RZC will do.
Whats the Manhattan Plan? I live in Ohio and like the Jets. I really only watch them and the redone channel anyway when I get the Sunday Ticket

I got my special number and PIN from chat finally.

$10 off Sunday Ticket Max x 6 months

$30 off my bill x 12 months

All in all over the heat I get ST Max for free and I gain $60 on the year. Not the best deal I've received in the years but I'll take it. Didn't have to sign a contract either.

Chat only offered $5 off for 12 months....but then gave me the pin (the 2nd time on chat...first lady not all that helpful).

On the phone I ended up getting $25 off for 12 months without re-upping my contract (that is up in November).

Also a $25 one time credit.

Then I was offered 1/2 price ST Max (comes out to $163.96) or Red Zone on its own for free.

Im supposed to call back to decide between the last 2. Hoping if I just play up that I can't justify trying to lower my bill and then add in $163 that they may come down...or I will just get RZ for free if I don't do the Ticket. I would rather have ST as my son's soccer games are all on Sunday afternoons and then I can record the Packers...but not sure Im paying even that (knowing I have $20 in credits also expiring in Nov).

Two chats, one phone call, and one hour total of my time...

First chat offered me $10 off for 12 months. Nothing else. I said no.

Second chat offered me $15 off for 15 months and the special line for additional help. I said yes.

Phone call to special line offered me free RedZone or free Sunday ticket. I took the ticket. They also gave me $15 off a month for 12 months and then $5 off for the next 12 months. This whole deal required a one-year commitment, which is fine.

So I either got the Sunday ticket for free plus $240 in credits or the Sunday ticket for free plus $465 in credits. I didn't want to ask the person on the phone if the free ticket and $240 in credits was in addition to the $225 credit I got in the chat. I'll take it either way.

I didn't threaten to quit - just told them I like DirecTV, was a long-time customer (7 years), and noticed that both my bill went up (because other credits expired) and that competitors were offering good NFL deals. They had no problem helping me. Thanks Tiffany!

I called yesterday and got a good deal- now what I did first was go to the website of directv and ask a question about when my contract was up, they then sent me am email with a PIN number to reply. I got-

Max for free, $100 visa gift card, show time and sports package free 3 months, $30 off bill for 12 months. It was pretty easy the person just gave it to me, I didn't have to really bargain with them.

Before I started the process I was paying $191 (inc. taxes) but had $21 in monthly credits so final amount being paid was $170. Also wasn't under contract anymore.

Did the online chat last week but was only offered $10 credit for 12 months and no discount on the Ticket. Received phone number and PIN code, which I called yesterday. Explained I was looking to cut monthly bill and pick up the Ticket at the same time. Was told that if I upgraded current programming package from Ultimate to Premier I would get more channels for the same price ($130/mth.), which was true since I was already paying for HBO/Cinemax/Showtime each month under the Ultimate package. Did the upgrade and then was offered $30 monthly credit for the next 12 months and $5 monthly credit for the next 24 months, along with free Ticket. I asked about getting ST Max but was told I couldn't get it for free, would have to pay the upgrade price. Passed on that for now. Had to agree to 1 year contract, which is fine with me as long as it ends before I have to call next year for the Ticket. Phone call took about 10 - 15 mins., most of which was spent with the agent doing the upgrade and finalizing the deal. Easiest call ever.

Would be paying $110, I have a wife who believes everything should be free, so it's easy to blame my tough negotiating on the fact that I'm not the one who makes the call, she does.

After two discussions got my bill down to $70, showtime for 4 months and free sunday ticket. I don't get to watch football on Sundays all the time so I need ST Maxx but shockingly was not able to get that for free. At best they offered $25 off the $100 upgrade price (I've never had push back on maxx before). After all I've read in this thread about getting MAXX and visa gift cards I couldn't say ok. I'll try again to get maxx and a gift card, if I can't I'll cancel. With having an antenna which can get me local channels, and netflix and cable for everything else, it's crazy that I even pay for cable.

All of these posts saying you have to decide between Sunday Ticket Max or Redzone channel. Does that mean Directv offers Redzone channel alone without having to purchase Sunday Ticket?

All of these posts saying you have to decide between Sunday Ticket Max or Redzone channel. Does that mean Directv offers Redzone channel alone without having to purchase Sunday Ticket?
I believe so. I have even gotten the 'Max' without all the 'Max' features before. Specifically, I got the Redzone channel, but didn't get the mobile device streaming capability. That was 2-3 years ago.

Couple different issues here- Since nobody else has the Ticket, when you threaten to leave to go to Dish etc the only leverage you have is saying they are offering your the Red Zone for free. So you can say- look, I need the RZ for free to match Dish or i'll go with them. This leads to point two.

Second- the stand alone Red Zone IS available, its just really, really hard to get it authorized. Honestly 9 times out of 10 they will give you ST and Max for free before they get you just Red Zone. They really dont want you to have it and only a few managers can even do so (it would seem).

So- what sometimes happens (very rarely) is you demand the Red Zone, and they actually find a way to give you the Red Zone. This is ok for some people, but actually backfires for most of us (since we were actually trying to get STMax all along).

spoke to really nice guy today but he would not budge on the 1/2 off the ticket.

got him to credit the 1rst auto charge for the ticket and take $15 off the bill for the next 12 months, but wasn't moving otherwise.

will be trying again this week and hoping for free deal.

Spoke to an idiot today....apparently you can't just pay for the stream. He said it "wasn't possible without the internet". I told him, ya...I know, I have internet. Then said...you need the cable as well...... which is BS. If Im able to stream from the App last year because I bought Madden and got streaming free why is it not possible to stream. He didn't understand my point.

Spoke to an idiot today....apparently you can't just pay for the stream. He said it "wasn't possible without the internet". I told him, ya...I know, I have internet. Then said...you need the cable as well...... which is BS. If Im able to stream from the App last year because I bought Madden and got streaming free why is it not possible to stream. He didn't understand my point.
This is my situation. DTV not an option for me. I would happily pay for stream but they dont want my money.

Timmay said:
They don't advertise it...but they apparently do offer it. I have been offered it for free. Told me it was channel 703.

Childress said:
Would be paying $110, I have a wife who believes everything should be free, so it's easy to blame my tough negotiating on the fact that I'm not the one who makes the call, she does.

After two discussions got my bill down to $70, showtime for 4 months and free sunday ticket. I don't get to watch football on Sundays all the time so I need ST Maxx but shockingly was not able to get that for free. At best they offered $25 off the $100 upgrade price (I've never had push back on maxx before). After all I've read in this thread about getting MAXX and visa gift cards I couldn't say ok. I'll try again to get maxx and a gift card, if I can't I'll cancel. With having an antenna which can get me local channels, and netflix and cable for everything else, it's crazy that I even pay for cable.
Called back, 3rd time today, got ST upgraded to maxx and $80 credits.

Showtime 4 months

$110 bill to $75

ST maxx free

$80 credits

The I just kept telling them it wasn't enough and they took great care of me. All without a contract extension, they were very nice too.

Called two days ago, last year I was given Red Zone for free, but couldn't manage to get ST for free since they told me I had it so many times before.

Anyway, this year with minimal complaining I was able to get either Red Zone or ST for free, not both. For ST Max I was able to get that 1/2 off ($180). With a little more pushing (been with DT since '06) was able to get $50 credits/month for 12 months, and STMax for 2 payments of 60 (so more than 1/2 off). Not too bad.

been on the phone for 1.5 hours. most of it on hold...this is terrible this year, usually I have no problems getting a deal.

First time I called, went through 3 people. Finally on the third guy, i agreed to STMax 4 payments of $40, and a free genie. Call gets disconnected.

I call back, of course I can't get the person I was talking to. They can't seem to get me the same deal? wtf? So now, I think I'm getting just ST, no max or redzone, for free, and a genie free. I'm not even sure though, because I keep getting put on holds for 10 minutes at a time, or longer..

I made the annual call yesterday. First time I called, I said I wanted to cancel service. The guy that answered offered me $5 off a month, and he refused to give me anything else. I asked if he was with retention, and he said that he was a premium channel expert. I told him that I wanted to cancel (hoping to get sent to retention), and he told me that he couldn't do that and that he would mark in my account that I denied the $5 off. I was a little pissed that he wouldn't even send me to retention, so I called back, and said, "please send me to retention, I'm canceling if I don't get a good deal". She sent me straight there. The lady that answered offered me the following immediately with no additional contract:

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 6 months

$15 off for 6 months

$10 off for 12 months

Free sports package for a year (I don't think I currently have)

I accepted without trying to haggle more. I thought it was a fair offer, and I honestly would've been happy with just the Sunday ticket.

gave up on the phone. went to the chat, told the person what had happened..got STMAX free. nothing else, that's all I want.

Just made the yearly call. It's kind of crazy to see the variety of the different offers that are given. Even from year to year, there are variances.

Called and said "Cancel Service". When the first person came on and ask how she could help, I said "I'm considering cancelling my service because my bill is too high. Can you transfer me to customer retention?" She said, "Sure, no problem."

Once I was transferred to customer retention, I talked to a cheerful guy. I explained that I had been with DirecTv for a long time (2001) and that the main reason was the Sunday Ticket and that I could not afford for my bill to go up right now and asked, "Is there anything you can do to help?"

He said let me check and, after some small talk, he came back with the following:

$45 off per $54.99 payment for the Sunday Ticket Max, leaving $9.99 per payment.

$10 per month for 12 months (that wipes out the $9.99 above)

$20 per month for 12 months

$5 per month for 24 months

So that results in free Sunday Ticket Max plus $25 per month off of my total bill for the first six months and $35 per month off of my total bill for the second six months. $750 total in discounts. All of this with no new contract agreement. So I am still out of contract for next year's negotiation next year as well. I happily accepted. Not bad for 10 minutes on the phone - definitely well worth calling.

emailed direct tv asking them when my contract was up. They sent me a number to call with a PIN number. I called and they said since I was loyal customer I could have ST MAXX for free. I didn't ask for anything else. That's all I really wanted anyway.

Tried to chat tonight from that link someone posted but its not working.

Any of you other guys have that issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tried to chat tonight from that link someone posted but its not working.

Any of you other guys have that issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I tried link as well with no luck.
It worked for me last night. They only offered $5 off for 12 months, though, so I declined and called later in the night. On that call I got $15 off for 6 months, and $10 off for 18 months. Took it, but I plan on calling in again in a week or so, since it doesn't compare to what most people are getting with free ticket, etc.

THOUGHT I'D JUST JUMP IN AND UPDATE YOU GUYS, HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED IN MY WORLD.

FIRST DIRECTV BILL CAME AFTER MY CALL (i POSTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD ABOUT MY DEAL)

THEY OFFERED ME FREE SUNDAY NFL TICKET MAX

AS I REVIEW MY BILL, I SEE A 39.99 CHARGE. I PICK UP THE PHONE AND EXPLAIN FREE DOES NOT EQUAL 39.99. LAST YEAR I HAD PAID FOR THE NFL SUNDAY TICKET IN FULL NO DEAL AT ALL. THIS YEAR I HEAR FREE AND I EXPECT FREE. REP EXPLAINS IF YOU PREVIOUSLY HAD THE SUNDAY TICKET IN THE MOVERS DEAL, THEY ONLY PAY FOR THE UPGRADE TO GET YOU TO NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX. I EXPLAIN THAT IT'S POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

AFTER SPEAKING WITH THE MOVERS DEPARTMENT AND EXPLAINING THAT POOR COMMUNICATION CAUSED LOTS OF CONFUSION AND A CHARGE I DIDN'T AGREE ABOUT, THEY OFFER ME SUNDAY TICKET MAX FOR FREE THIS YEAR.

Harder this year then in the past. No real good offer on my first call, $8 a month for 6 months. Used the Chat (thanks everyone) and ended up getting Free Redzone, Free Genie Upgrade, $15 for 15 months on top of my $10 a month HD credit and free HBO for 6 months. Could have gotten Sunday Ticket Max at half price but honestly with 6 games a week now available and my kids both involved in fall sports every weekend through October Redzone will be enough for me.

OK....what did I do wrong here? I just want Red Zone --

CHAT WITH DIRECTTV

Hi, my name is Chris W (ID 440320). How are you today?
STEEL CURTAIN : Hello.
STEEL CURTAIN : I want to see how long my contract is and what the termination fee would be?
Chris W (ID 440320): Ok, give me one moment to bring up your account.
Chris W (ID 440320): May I ask why you want to cancel the account?
STEEL CURTAIN : The Sunday Ticket is really expensive and it appears I can't get the red zone channel on its own.
STEEL CURTAIN : So, I'm seeing what my options are.
Chris W (ID 440320): Ok, I wish we could offer that service by itself. Give me one more moment to get the other information for you. Thank you for your patience.
Chris W (ID 440320): The agreement ends on 3/19/15 and the early cancellation fee is $20 for each month left in the agreement. Since there are currently 6 months left the fee would be $120.00.
STEEL CURTAIN : Ok.....thank you.
STEEL CURTAIN : To cancel, am I able to send an email once I have a decision made?
Chris W (ID 440320): No, you will have to call us to cancel the account. We are not able to cancel the account via email.
STEEL CURTAIN : Once the cancellation is decided, how quickly can it happen? Is it immediate? Or is it scheduled out.
STEEL CURTAIN : I obviously want to make sure I get the other service decided on and set up before I cancel directTV
Chris W (ID 440320): We can cancel the account that day or schedule it out if you prefer.
STEEL CURTAIN : Ok. Thank you. Its too bad the Sunday Ticket Red Zone piece is so expensive and not a stand alone. I know its your business model, but it really makes it cost prohibitive compared to other providers.
Chris W (ID 440320): I understand and will send up your suggestion to see what we can do to make the service more flexible.
STEEL CURTAIN : Ok thank you.
STEEL CURTAIN : When I decide to cancel, I just call the regular 800 number, correct?
Chris W (ID 440320): Yes, they will be able to assist you.
STEEL CURTAIN : Ok. Thanks. Have a good day.
Chris W (ID 440320): You too.
'STEEL CURTAIN' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

CHAT WITH DIRECTTV

STEEL CURTAIN : I want to see how long my contract is and what the termination fee would be?

STEEL CURTAIN : The Sunday Ticket is really expensive and it appears I can't get the red zone channel on its own.

Chris W (ID 440320): Ok, I wish we could offer that service by itself. Give me one more moment to get the other information for you. Thank you for your patience.

Chris W (ID 440320): The agreement ends on 3/19/15 and the early cancellation fee is $20 for each month left in the agreement. Since there are currently 6 months left the fee would be $120.00.

STEEL CURTAIN : To cancel, am I able to send an email once I have a decision made?

Chris W (ID 440320): No, you will have to call us to cancel the account. We are not able to cancel the account via email.

STEEL CURTAIN : Once the cancellation is decided, how quickly can it happen? Is it immediate? Or is it scheduled out.

STEEL CURTAIN : I obviously want to make sure I get the other service decided on and set up before I cancel directTV

Chris W (ID 440320): We can cancel the account that day or schedule it out if you prefer.

STEEL CURTAIN : Ok. Thank you. Its too bad the Sunday Ticket Red Zone piece is so expensive and not a stand alone. I know its your business model, but it really makes it cost prohibitive compared to other providers.

Chris W (ID 440320): I understand and will send up your suggestion to see what we can do to make the service more flexible.

STEEL CURTAIN : When I decide to cancel, I just call the regular 800 number, correct?

I always just flat out ask for what I want. Usually you need to get to a second level person. I'd call back say you want to cancel and when you get someone just tell them you want retention and to see what they can do to reduce your bill.

Just did my annual dance. I've been a customer since 2010 and am off contract, but I have a pretty cheap TV package (the second-lowest, iirc), so I never get the really awesome deals. I'm usually able to walk out with all of my TV at $60 a month after taxes and fees, plus free Sunday Ticket, and that's always been more than enough for me.

This year is unique because it's the first year where I honestly don't care if I keep DirecTV or switch to a competitor; I used to record all of the Short Cuts every week, but thanks to NFL Game Rewind, the only thing I really want anymore is the Red Zone Channel. I called up DirecTV and asked what kind of offers I could get, and they did the "we can give you a $10 credit + $8 off of Sunday Ticket plus a free upgrade to Max" pitch that seems to be the standard this year. Normally I would have done the whole hem and haw game until I got to someone who was authorized to give me more, but I decided I didn't want to mess around with it, so I said yes to the credit, told them to cancel Sunday Ticket, then hung up and called Dish. They offered me all of my TV for a year for $47 a month including tax (with free Red Zone), and that would go up to $59 next year not including tax (plus $11 more for Red Zone). I'd have to sign a 2-year contract, but even under contract I'm willing to bet I can get them to knock another $10 off next year and get me back to my $60-a-month goal, so I was okay with that. I went ahead and scheduled installation for next Monday (knowing I can cancel installation before they come out and not be charged).

I then called back DirecTV and told them where things stood. The first guy was pretty helpful, said upfront "I'm not going to be able to help you because retention has all the good stuff", quickly ran down the list of his offers, and when I said that wasn't enough he transferred me to customer retention. I told them the deal, how I was looking to get my bill down to $60 a month including Red Zone. Customer retention had pretty much nothing for me- an additional $5-a-month credit for 24 months, but that was it. No stand-alone Red Zone, no free Sunday Ticket. I couldn't even get a better deal by offering to sign a new contract, which really surprised me. I think I might have screwed myself by accepting the $10 discount earlier, because the customer retention agent was saying nothing else was even showing up in the system after that. She started talking a bit of trash about Dish, saying their Red Zone Channel wasn't anywhere near as good as DirecTV's. I told her that their Red Zone Channel was going to save me $350 this year, so I'd manage to live with it somehow. Set up service cancellation for Monday at midnight. I guess I'll see if they call or email me any last-minute offers before then, but otherwise it looks like I might have gone through my last round of the Free Sunday Ticket Tango (only to replace it with the Dish Network equivalent next season, of course).

CHAT WITH DIRECTTV

Yeah, you can't drop hints. You have to tell them that you're trying to get your monthly bill down and they'll start to see what they can do. After that, keep telling them it's not enough until you get to a point where it's enough.

Just did my annual dance. I've been a customer since 2010 and am off contract, but I have a pretty cheap TV package (the second-lowest, iirc), so I never get the really awesome deals. I'm usually able to walk out with all of my TV at $60 a month after taxes and fees, plus free Sunday Ticket, and that's always been more than enough for me.

This year is unique because it's the first year where I honestly don't care if I keep DirecTV or switch to a competitor; I used to record all of the Short Cuts every week, but thanks to NFL Game Rewind, the only thing I really want anymore is the Red Zone Channel. I called up DirecTV and asked what kind of offers I could get, and they did the "we can give you a $10 credit + $8 off of Sunday Ticket plus a free upgrade to Max" pitch that seems to be the standard this year. Normally I would have done the whole hem and haw game until I got to someone who was authorized to give me more, but I decided I didn't want to mess around with it, so I said yes to the credit, told them to cancel Sunday Ticket, then hung up and called Dish. They offered me all of my TV for a year for $47 a month including tax (with free Red Zone), and that would go up to $59 next year not including tax (plus $11 more for Red Zone). I'd have to sign a 2-year contract, but even under contract I'm willing to bet I can get them to knock another $10 off next year and get me back to my $60-a-month goal, so I was okay with that. I went ahead and scheduled installation for next Monday (knowing I can cancel installation before they come out and not be charged).

I then called back DirecTV and told them where things stood. The first guy was pretty helpful, said upfront "I'm not going to be able to help you because retention has all the good stuff", quickly ran down the list of his offers, and when I said that wasn't enough he transferred me to customer retention. I told them the deal, how I was looking to get my bill down to $60 a month including Red Zone. Customer retention had pretty much nothing for me- an additional $5-a-month credit for 24 months, but that was it. No stand-alone Red Zone, no free Sunday Ticket. I couldn't even get a better deal by offering to sign a new contract, which really surprised me. I think I might have screwed myself by accepting the $10 discount earlier, because the customer retention agent was saying nothing else was even showing up in the system after that. She started talking a bit of trash about Dish, saying their Red Zone Channel wasn't anywhere near as good as DirecTV's. I told her that their Red Zone Channel was going to save me $350 this year, so I'd manage to live with it somehow. Set up service cancellation for Monday at midnight. I guess I'll see if they call or email me any last-minute offers before then, but otherwise it looks like I might have gone through my last round of the Free Sunday Ticket Tango (only to replace it with the Dish Network equivalent next season, of course).
Don't know if this helps or not, but I found DIsh Network not as good as DirectTV in terms of programming (specifically around the sports channels in NYC). However, the Dish Network RedZone Channel is much better than the DirectTV one. I really think the Dish one with Scott Hansen (I think thats his name) is terrific.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I found DIsh Network not as good as DirectTV in terms of programming (specifically around the sports channels in NYC). However, the Dish Network RedZone Channel is much better than the DirectTV one. I really think the Dish one with Scott Hansen (I think thats his name) is terrific.
I don't really care about programming; there are a grand total of 4 channels we watch on a semi-regular basis, and one of them is available as an over-the-air broadcast, and the other three are generally included in even the most basic of packages. I don't even watch ESPN or NFL Network; there's nothing I can get there that I'm not already getting for free on Twitter. If it wasn't for the Red Zone Channel, we'd have quit cable/satellite entirely a few years ago and switched over to Netflix/Hulu. So if the Red Zone Channel is better on Dish, I count that as a win. :)

Customer retention had pretty much nothing for me- an additional $5-a-month credit for 24 months, but that was it. No stand-alone Red Zone, no free Sunday Ticket. I couldn't even get a better deal by offering to sign a new contract, which really surprised me. I think I might have screwed myself by accepting the $10 discount earlier, because the customer retention agent was saying nothing else was even showing up in the system after that.
Hmm, I hope that's not the case, because I did pretty much the same thing. That is, accepted a very so-so offer.

I haven't called back to re-request something better just yet, but I plan on it after a week or so. In my scenario, though, the threat of canceling is totally hollow, because Red Zone isn't what I'm after. I need my Bills' games and I live in MI.

Has anyone tried "sharing" receivers with a friend/family from their team's home market? I may or may not have done that many years ago, before the receivers were smart enough to only work with certain cards, etc. I still think you could swap an entire receiver and card with someone, no?

10 year subscriber, got the following without hassle. Played the "wife is killing me over the bill" card after saying "cancel service" at the prompt. I don't know if I got customer retention whoever I got was new as he kept putting me on hold.

$15 credit for a year, so x 12 = $180

$11 discount on monthly ST Maxx payments, now $39 X 6 rather than $50

So $235 for ST Max - $180 credit = $55 for ST Max. I'll take it, especially since I'm under contract for another 9 months.
Finally called today, but took some advice from people here first (thanks!). Contacted them first via "Contact Us" form asking when my contract is up. Got an email with an 800 number and a PIN, which made me feel important. I called, entered the PIN. The nice older lady who answered didn't have any of my info, so I'm guessing that they automatically route contract questions to level 1/2 support.

I got nearly the exact same deal this year ($10 off per month for a year, half off ST Maxx, so out of pocket is around $50). I have a pretty outrageously high bill-I have 8 TVs each of which costs $6 per month plus all of the HD packages etc and ST-so I think that this is what their algorithm spits out for my earned credit every year.

Shrug. I'm happy paying around $50 for ST Maxx, though the cost is a stupid high monthly bill every month. I'm old and set in my ways, I guess :)

I got nearly the exact same deal this year ($10 off per month for a year, half off ST Maxx, so out of pocket is around $50). I have a pretty outrageously high bill-I have 8 TVs each of which costs $6 per month plus all of the HD packages etc and ST-so I think that this is what their algorithm spits out for my earned credit every year.

Shrug. I'm happy paying around $50 for ST Maxx, though the cost is a stupid high monthly bill every month. I'm old and set in my ways, I guess :)
Wait... What? If I'm not mistaken ST is like $300-ish and ST Max is exactly $100 more. So, did you get a deal where all they offered is half off the $100 Maxx upgrade (and $10 per month)? That is, a total savings of $50 + $120. Otherwise, half off the full price of ST max would still be like $200 out of your pocket.

If the former, that is about the worst deal anyone has settled for, so far. That is especially true for someone paying for 8 receivers. I thought my $10 per month (18 months) and $90 off ST was pretty lousy, but that's $270 compared to your $170.

Wait... What? If I'm not mistaken ST is like $300-ish and ST Max is exactly $100 more. So, did you get a deal where all they offered is half off the $100 Maxx upgrade (and $10 per month)? That is, a total savings of $50 + $120. Otherwise, half off the full price of ST max would still be like $200 out of your pocket.

If the former, that is about the worst deal anyone has settled for, so far. That is especially true for someone paying for 8 receivers. I thought my $10 per month (18 months) and $90 off ST was pretty lousy, but that's $270 compared to your $170.
According to the person on the phone, ST Maxx is $320ish normally. I got that for "half price", so $160. Four payments of $40.99. I then got $10 off my bill for 12 months.

$160 - $120 = $40 out of pocket for ST Maxx. I did clarify that it is ST Maxx, as Red Zone is everything.

Long time customer - usually clean up but a but harder this year - I go right to retention and tell them my wife wants me to cancel again....

Free Sun Ticket Max + $10 off bill for 12 months - tried to squeeze some free HBO or Showtime but couldnt - didn't want to be greedy so took it and ran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made the call. 40 minutes on phone really nice lady and got the following wih little effort.

$20 disc for 12 months

$10 disc for 12 months

$5 disc for 24 months

$5 disc off HBO for 6 months

Max for $90.

1 year contract.

So $420 discounts net of Max. Will call back next year and maybe try harder but didn't have anymore time to escalate or do the cancellation dance.

According to the person on the phone, ST Maxx is $320ish normally. I got that for "half price", so $160. Four payments of $40.99. I then got $10 off my bill for 12 months.

$160 - $120 = $40 out of pocket for ST Maxx. I did clarify that it is ST Maxx, as Red Zone is everything.
Ok, that makes more sense. I just wanted to make sure they didn't sneak the $320 in under the guise of 50% off the max upgrade.

Gotta get the special phone number and pin. Its the new retention.
Retention and the special number plus pin gave me the exact same offer. If anything I think the special number may just be a direct line to retention.
Thats possible, but the girl at the special number got me a straight up cash rebate against my bill when no offers were showing up on the computer, and ive never seen that before in several years of doing this or in this thread.

Or it could be the same people, but management got wise to the retention calls and cracked down on them, and they are treating anybody that is given the pin number differently. I think by and large people have been having better luck with the special number, but you're right it could just be a small sample size.

Just finished negotiating with DirecTV. Here is what I got.

- $40/Mo for 12 Months (premier & DVR)

- $40/Mo for 3 Months (movie channels)

- $10/Mo for 6 Months (sport channels)

+ Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

where are these elusive "chat" links on their website?

never mind...found it!

ETA: got $23 off/month for 6 months, 3 months showtime, max upgrade

Not great, but I committed to a 2 year contract last fall when I got ticket for free and upgraded a bunch of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread