What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIRECTV NOW & U-verse TV Are Dropping The NFL Network (1 Viewer)

It’s only a matter of time before NFL just has their own pay channel/app. The future of TV is awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure what to make of this. Is the NFL Network gone forever on DirectvTV and UVerse?

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-u-verse-tv-are-dropping-the-nfl-network-on-all-new-grandfathered-package/
it says it's gone from DIRECTV NOW, not DIRECTV altogether.

This seems like the more interesting commentary:

This comes as the NFL has hinted that they plan to take an out built into their contract and end DIRECTV’s exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket deal that DIRECTV has had since before AT&T owned the service. Back in March, the NFL Commissioner said: “We’re having great discussions with DirecTV and AT&T,” Goodell said. “We’ve had a 25-year partnership and we want to continue that partnership, but we also are looking to see how we can change the delivery.” Roger Goodell went on to say. “We’re looking to make sure that we continue to deliver this package, which is a premium package of great content,” Goodell said. “We want it delivered on several different platforms.”

For now, we will have to wait and see if the NFL Network deals with U-verse and DIRECTV NOW ending is a sign that NFL Sunday Ticket contract with AT&T is ending. We do know that NFL Sunday Ticket will still be on DIRECTV this year. Any changes to NFL Sunday ticket will have to wait until the start of the 2020 season.

I admit I will pay...unfortunately whatever they ask....I love my Sundays....its an event at my house....and I don't live in "my" teams market area....

It’s only a matter of time before NFL josh has their own pay channel/app. The future of TV is awful.
Yep everyone thought an ala carte system was the way to go and would let us all escape high cable bills. It’s going to turn out costing way more to acquire all the individual services you’re going to want/need.

Yep everyone thought an ala carte system was the way to go and would let us all escape high cable bills. It’s going to turn out costing way more to acquire all the individual services you’re going to want/need.
We are going from 150 channels for $150 to 300 channels all sold separately.

I've stopped making it a must watch event within the last several years. I've got too much to do. 
Same boat. Along with the fact that over the last few years it has been impossible for me to watch a full game. Slow, flag happy football. I have become more attracted to college football over the years and enjoy watching it much more. Even with the lesser quality it is faster paced and higher energy. NFL’s life support is fantasy football.

If the NFL wanted to cater to fans and make money, they'd allow fans to choose pay per view packages each week. I'd gladly pay to stream a couple of top games each week, because getting DirecTV is too expensive and going out to a bar to watch games is expensive and aggravating.

It’s only a matter of time before NFL josh has their own pay channel/app. The future of TV is awful.
But the future of streaming is awesome.

Suppose the NFL adopts a NetFlix model and offers up a $xx/yr subscription to all NFL content, and there is no other viewing option. I'll pay $x/month for what would be a great product.  A world-wide subscriber base of 250,000,000 would  generate <consults calc.exe>  ... millions.

But the future of streaming is awesome.

Suppose the NFL adopts a NetFlix model and offers up a $xx/yr subscription to all NFL content, and there is no other viewing option. I'll pay $x/month for what would be a great product.  A world-wide subscriber base of 250,000,000 would  generate <consults calc.exe>  ... millions.
Lots of money for the NFL, not so great for consumers who want to watch things other than the NFL

I barely watch the Pats games now. Haven't watched NFLN in years. Has to be roughly 4 years now since I dropped DTV and am solely Netflix, Amazon Prime, and 3-4 months per year of HBO (or the occasional other premium movie channel) via my prime sticks. Who the hell has time to actually watch 300 channels worth of... anything? Go outside! lol

I barely watch the Pats games now. Haven't watched NFLN in years. Has to be roughly 4 years now since I dropped DTV and am solely Netflix, Amazon Prime, and 3-4 months per year of HBO (or the occasional other premium movie channel) via my prime sticks. Who the hell has time to actually watch 300 channels worth of... anything? Go outside! lol
You realize Amazon Prime and Netflix and HBO have thousands of movies and TV shows so why don’t you go outside Elvis. 

I kind of like the idea of a pick-and-choose economy. Imagine if Fox News supporters had to pony up 75-cents a week.
Might be even worse though, they might not even get any other channels and watch even more Fox News. Also they already have an extra streaming channel called Fox Nation that starts at $6 a month. 

Might be even worse though, they might not even get any other channels and watch even more Fox News. Also they already have an extra streaming channel called Fox Nation that starts at $6 a month. 
Ah, yes, "Nigerian Prince Fox Nation," is tough nut to crack.

I think ala carte is good if you just want to watch very specific things but I imagine a normal family might have several sports, kids shows, movies, etc. I was trying to watch the Champions League today and now apparently Bleacher Report has it’s own channel now and the Champions League game was on there. So annoying.

I enjoy RedZone every week,but I need the NFL Network to get the RedZone,since I have u-verse and can no longer get NFL Network,bye bye at&t,hello Spectrum and you're wonderful customer service. Called at&t to drop,rep asked "what can I do to change your mind?" I said get the NFL Network back so I can get RedZone. He said what if I lower your monthly bill? I said sure,but I need the NFL Network with that. He said sorry I can't do that "at this time". I said can you do it before September of this year? He said "I don't know". So I said o.k.,can you drop my monthly payment and then I'll decide in September whether or not I want to stay? He said "no". So I said "Bye Bye Baby,Baby good Bye!"

I have Uverse and discovered this on Tuesday.  I went searching and found a free PlayStation Vue trial to get me through this week.  I called AT&T Friday and they gave me $60 and told me I could stream NFLN for $9 per month.  So I say fine and go home and spent some time Friday night trying to do it, with no luck.  Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to stream it without a provider.  so now I'm calling them tomorrow and telling them I need $50 per month to pay for the Vue or I'm dropping them.  the week before the draft, I can't lose NFLN

I have a $25/month package from Sling TV and only had to sign up for an extra $10 for their NFL Network package this last season. Got the Thursday games and RedZone, which is the only thing I really wanted. I can barely handle watching Sundays on local channels. I live on the west coast and have had a lifetime of afternoon games of either the Seahawks, Raiders, or 49ers. Every damn week. No matter how good another matchup might be. 

This $25 +10 package comes at the exclusion of ESPN, though. So I have to find another way to stream MNF. You can do Sling Orange or Blue and get ESPN on one or NFL network on the other. But you can't do both. I don't think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
barackdhouse said:
I have a $25/month package from Sling TV and only had to sign up for an extra $10 for their NFL Network package this last season. Got the Thursday games and RedZone, which is the only thing I really wanted. I can barely handle watching Sundays on local channels. I live on the west coast and have had a lifetime of afternoon games of either the Seahawks, Raiders, or 49ers. Every damn week. No matter how good another matchup might be. 

This $25 +10 package comes at the exclusion of ESPN, though. So I have to find another way to stream MNF. You can do Sling Orange or Blue and get ESPN on one or NFL network on the other. But you can't do both. I don't think. 
you can do orange and blue together - $25 for 3 months right now....then $40

https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-3-y-1

I cut the cord about 6 years ago. I cheat a little cause I use my parent xfinity email/password for the ESPN app and HBO but other than that I’m strictly over the air (which offers FAR better quality than any subscription where the signal is compressed), amazon Prime and Netflix. 

For me there is already more free content than I ever could watch and as I get older and older the less I watch. 

NFL Network was the only reason I was using DirectvNow. I left Sling because it didn't have all the locals in my area. And chose DTVN over Hulu Live because of NFL Network.  If I'm not getting that, I'll go to Hulu since it's cheaper.

Bump

What has everyone switched to? I'm looking into Sling right now. I'm definitely not switching DirecTV 

It's not ideal, but for those who've cut the cord & aren't aware, you can get NFL Network on your phone via the NFL app if you use your data (with a cable company, you can watch over wi-fi). 

With an HDMI adapter, you can even project to your TV, although, I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for how good it works.

I watch redzone through pirated streaming sites.  The frame rate isn't the best and sometimes everything drops for a minute, but about ten minutes before the games I just go on reddit/redzone and there's a list of streaming sites.

I don't get the phrase "cutting the cord" when you're still paying out the nose for all these other corded services.

Fight the power, torrent/stream or bust.

It's not ideal, but for those who've cut the cord & aren't aware, you can get NFL Network on your phone via the NFL app if you use your data (with a cable company, you can watch over wi-fi). 

With an HDMI adapter, you can even project to your TV, although, I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for how good it works.
Are those episodes or actual live TV? Sounds like iPhone users w/ Apple TV may just luck out  

I'm using Sling now.

when I called AT&T to cancel U-Verse the Retention rep told me they had reached an agreement with the NFL Network and it would be returning. 

I have FuboTV which has NFL Network. No ESPN, but I use the Yahoo sports app to get those games. 

PlayStation Vue has both ESPN and NFL Network. Plus all my locals (Philly area). Dropped DirecTV now a month ago because of losing NFL Network ( and CBS)

Users who are viewing this thread