What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

Raining at the moment but its supposed to clear up. Gonna do some damage in world showcase today.
I bet we will walk by each other at some point. I will be the idiot with an altenmunster in one hand and a huge pretzel in the other trying to figure out how to put mustard on the pretzel. Currently killing time at DHS while the wife and son go on tower of terror. My fast pass runner duties are complete.

1). There are a number of crowd calendar sites out there. Are any considered more reliable than others?
I use TouringPlans.com. Yes, it costs $10.00 for a 1 year subscription, but it is WELL worth it. You can create Personalized Touring Plans - you input the attractions you want to see then select "Optimize" and it will give you a plan that tells you in what order, and at what time to see each attraction. We took many Disney Vacations prior to using TouringPlans and thought we "knew" how to tour the parks. Now, that we have TouringPlans, we now, know we had no idea.The big advantage of TouringPlans is that it can tell you what time to get a FastPass, and will tell you that if you get a FastPass for that attraction at that time, what the return time on the FastPass it will be (Example: 4:42 get a FastPass for Space Mountain - Return Time: 8:40).We were originally skeptical of the plans (they have it down to the minute (takes you 7 minutes to walk from A to B, you will wait 9 minutes, the attraction lasts 11 minutes), but they are VERY accurate. Even if you are visiting during the "slow season" I would high recommend this service. With TouringPlans, we now think a "long" line is more than 20 minutes, we used to not consider skipping something unless it was 45 minutes or higher. If you plan to spend thousands on a Disney Vacation, the best $10 you will spend will be on a TouringPlans subscription and using the Personalize Touring Plans feature to its fullest.
Did touringplans a couple years ago when we were going to be there during a Somewhat busy time. Thought it was fairly accurate. Got it again for this trip because it was so short and wanted to maximize. It was terrible. Said Epcot was supposed to be 1.3 crowd level and it was pretty crowded for my standards. 25 minute wait for the maelstrom almost all day. Test track was at 80 for most of the day and all fast passes were gone by like 1. Soarin was 90 minutes and there were times in the world showcase that it was hard to move around. Tons of senior trips. They say today is supposed to be a 1.1 at Epcot so we will see. Long story short when you do your personalized plan put in lots of breaks. Because if they are off on one ride and you don't have breaks put in the whole schedule goes to crap fast and you are probably worse off.

1). There are a number of crowd calendar sites out there. Are any considered more reliable than others?
I use TouringPlans.com. Yes, it costs $10.00 for a 1 year subscription, but it is WELL worth it. You can create Personalized Touring Plans - you input the attractions you want to see then select "Optimize" and it will give you a plan that tells you in what order, and at what time to see each attraction. We took many Disney Vacations prior to using TouringPlans and thought we "knew" how to tour the parks. Now, that we have TouringPlans, we now, know we had no idea.The big advantage of TouringPlans is that it can tell you what time to get a FastPass, and will tell you that if you get a FastPass for that attraction at that time, what the return time on the FastPass it will be (Example: 4:42 get a FastPass for Space Mountain - Return Time: 8:40).We were originally skeptical of the plans (they have it down to the minute (takes you 7 minutes to walk from A to B, you will wait 9 minutes, the attraction lasts 11 minutes), but they are VERY accurate. Even if you are visiting during the "slow season" I would high recommend this service.With TouringPlans, we now think a "long" line is more than 20 minutes, we used to not consider skipping something unless it was 45 minutes or higher. If you plan to spend thousands on a Disney Vacation, the best $10 you will spend will be on a TouringPlans subscription and using the Personalize Touring Plans feature to its fullest.
Did touringplans a couple years ago when we were going to be there during a Somewhat busy time. Thought it was fairly accurate. Got it again for this trip because it was so short and wanted to maximize. It was terrible. Said Epcot was supposed to be 1.3 crowd level and it was pretty crowded for my standards. 25 minute wait for the maelstrom almost all day. Test track was at 80 for most of the day and all fast passes were gone by like 1. Soarin was 90 minutes and there were times in the world showcase that it was hard to move around. Tons of senior trips. They say today is supposed to be a 1.1 at Epcot so we will see.Long story short when you do your personalized plan put in lots of breaks. Because if they are off on one ride and you don't have breaks put in the whole schedule goes to crap fast and you are probably worse off.
Good tip. We did have to begin putting in 10 minute "breaks" every 3 or 4 attractions. We haven't seen it miss crowd levels as drastically as you have, but we did encounter a problem when at MK and Splash Mountain had been closed down. It was supposed to be ~20 minutes on our Touring Plan, but the line was 75+ due to the closure. We just skipped the ride and shopped for a little bit to stay on schedule.

Raining at the moment but its supposed to clear up. Gonna do some damage in world showcase today.
I bet we will walk by each other at some point. I will be the idiot with an altenmunster in one hand and a huge pretzel in the other trying to figure out how to put mustard on the pretzel.Currently killing time at DHS while the wife and son go on tower of terror. My fast pass runner duties are complete.
Nice. We are back in room taking break before Chef Mickey.

I just got back with the wife and kids and had a blast:

Day1- Magic Kingdom and a quick dinner at Casey's (we didn't get to the park until after 2:00 due to them screwing up the reservations).

Day 2- Hollywood Studios and dinner at MaMa Melrose.

Day 3- Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef.

Day 4- Animal Kingdom and dinner at T-Rex (the kids LOVED this place)

Day 5- Magic Kingdom and dinner at Narcoossee's (holy hell was this place awesome)

Day 6- Epcot and dinner at Chefs de France

All in all we all had a great time. We quickly learned the way to properly use fast passes and we ate like kings. IMO, you're absolutely nuts if you don't take advantage of the Meal Plan. We were able to more easily keep the $$$ spent on food in check by using that.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are headed to Disney World on Sunday. Staying at Coronado and getting there about 3 in the afternoon. Gonna spend Sunday at the pool and just relaxing.

Monday - Magic Kingdom

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Wednesday - Animal Kingdom

Thursday - Hollywood Studios

Doing Chef Mickey's one night, Cinderella's Royal Table one morning - Tusker House fore breakfast and can't remember where we're eating on Thursday.

Any tips on the fast passes? I know for sure I'll have to get the kids fast passes for the Toy Story stuff at HS.

This is our first trip, so I know we're gonna make rookie mistakes. I was going to read this thread in more detail, but I simply don't have the time. If anyone can give me their top 3 tips/recommendations about anything that would be great.

Thanks in advance...

1. Get to the park as early as possible. If they have extra magic hours in the morning, do it. Fast pass or ride the busy rides then. Leave the other rides for when it gets busier.

2. Give yourself time to explore and relax. Doing everything isn't the most important thing. Enjoyment is.

3. Use your time in line to look at time apps to plan your next moves.

1. Get to the park as early as possible. If they have extra magic hours in the morning, do it. Fast pass or ride the busy rides then. Leave the other rides for when it gets busier.

2. Give yourself time to explore and relax. Doing everything isn't the most important thing. Enjoyment is.

Thanks for the tips. What are some of the good time apps?

Booked my 'Ohana reservation for October. Is it possible to be pumped up for a meal that is nearly six months away? If so, I am.

If you're a Verizon customer, the official Disney Parks app is by far the most reliable and accurate for ride waits and FastPass times. The Verizon one is wired directly into the park data, not dependent on crowdsourcing.

If you're a Verizon customer, the official Disney Parks app is by far the most reliable and accurate for ride waits and FastPass times. The Verizon one is wired directly into the park data, not dependent on crowdsourcing.
I think they have the same app for everyone now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uievolution.player.android.vzw.DisneyMobileMagic&hl=en That one works on my Sprint Galaxy S3.

I've also used the free version of the Disney World Wait Times app by Phunware. It's sufficient, but Disney's own app is better.

Grady Wilson said:
We are headed to Disney World on Sunday. Staying at Coronado and getting there about 3 in the afternoon. Gonna spend Sunday at the pool and just relaxing.

Monday - Magic Kingdom

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Doing Chef Mickey's one night, Cinderella's Royal Table one morning - Tusker House fore breakfast and can't remember where we're eating on Thursday.

Any tips on the fast passes? I know for sure I'll have to get the kids fast passes for the Toy Story stuff at HS.

This is our first trip, so I know we're gonna make rookie mistakes. I was going to read this thread in more detail, but I simply don't have the time. If anyone can give me their top 3 tips/recommendations about anything that would be great.

Thanks in advance...
How old are your kids?

For kids excited about their first trip to Disney, I suggest not blowing the Magic Kingdom wad right off the bat. Build up to it.

With your current plan Animal Kingdom may be a bit of a letdown after two days of MK. :2cents:

Grady Wilson said:

Monday - Magic Kingdom

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Thanks in advance...
for Animal Kingdom... Everest is the best ride with the most FastPass demand. If the kids are big enough, that's the FP to target. The Kilimanjaro Safari is usually better early in the day. If you don't mind a little running and FP kiosks are open by breakfast time, grab Everest FastPasses right before Tusker House. (This can get a little tricky, as part of the Tusker House wait is getting a family picture taken with Donald Duck in safari gear.) If you can pull this off, your Everest FastPasses should be live after breakfast, and you can grab Kilimanjaro FPs on your way to Everest and the Dinosaur section of the park.

If the kids aren't big enough for Everest, grab Kilimanjaro FPs right before breakfast. They should be live right after your meal.

I found the Dinosaur ride to be really bumpy and a bit of a letdown, but if your kids are into Dinosaurs or like Jurassic Park, they will dig it.

The kids might get a little antsy waiting for the Lion King or Finding Nemo shows... but those shows really are spectacular. The Lion King show is a bit more kid-friendly. It's a run-through of the big songs from the movie/musical. The show is in the round with four bleacher sections surrounding it. If you sit along the right edge of a bleacher section, especially down near the front, there's a good chance the kids will be asked to join the show and parade around the stage during "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

The Finding Nemo musical is a stage show mix of live action and puppetry. IMO is a good show all around, but if the kids like the movie they will like the show. The theater for Finding Nemo is a bit bigger than Lion King a a lower-demand show, so the wait and seating will be a little easier.

The last time I was at WDW, AK was experimenting with FastPasses for the last Lion King show of the day. Not sure if that gained traction or expanded.

Booked my 'Ohana reservation for October. Is it possible to be pumped up for a meal that is nearly six months away? If so, I am.
On behalf of YankeeFan23 and the other regular contributors to this thread... I approve of this message.

The missus and I started kicking around possible dates for the next Orlando trip, and one of the things that came to mind is making sure Ohana got booked ASAP. Right now, we're targeting early December 2014, after the Fantasyland expansion is in the groove and the Harry Potter expansion at Universal is complete.

On behalf of YankeeFan23 and the other regular contributors to this thread... I approve of this message.

The missus and I started kicking around possible dates for the next Orlando trip, and one of the things that came to mind is making sure Ohana got booked ASAP. Right now, we're targeting early December 2014, after the Fantasyland expansion is in the groove and the Harry Potter expansion at Universal is complete.
We are thinking about our next trip as a celebration for the end of CPA Busy Season 2014 at the end of April/beginning of May next year. We did a small one last week to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, VA for this year. I am trying to figure out when I would need to do my planning/purchasing.

Narcoossee's --- what is that?
A restaurant in the Grand Floridian. It's a two minute boat ride from the Magic Kingdom and the boat drops you off right at the dock behind the restaurant. Absolutely fantastic food.

Our waitress was a bit of a ditz. We had a large party (12 people) and we explained to her that we had 3 different meal plans. One had 4 adults, one had 2 adults and two kids and the last had 3 adults and 1 kid. We even sat together in our groups in order to make it easier. Sure enough, she comes back at the end of the meal saying there was a problem with one of the meal pland and, sure enough, she screwed up the cards. Now this normally wouldn't be a huge deal, but it took them 30 freaking minutes to fix it. My brother wanted to talk to the manager about lowering the 18% gratuity because of the inconvience (it was her fault we ended up missing the fireworks at the MK) but I was ready to go and talked him out of it, even though he was probably right.

Looks like Wilderness for November. How is it getting around from there? Wife mentioned we should be able to avoid buses most of the week.
there is a boat that takes you from wilderness directly to MK. But you will need a bus for HS and AK. You could probably jump on monorail for Epcot but it might take a while going boat to MK, MK to monorail to transportation center and then off at Epcot.

Looks like Wilderness for November. How is it getting around from there? Wife mentioned we should be able to avoid buses most of the week.
We stayed at the Wilderness both times we made the trip and LOVED it!!

It was so nice to leave the parks and go back to the hotel and feel like you were away from Disney.. Sure the characters were around, but the experience at the resort felt like being in Wyoming/Colorado rather then in Florida.

We used the Boat to get to MK, otherwise road the buses to the other parks and didn't have an issue other than packed buses for the ride back when the Park closed.

If you leave a park before it closes, you do have the option to ride the Monorail back to Area next to Polynesian and then ride a boat from there. But again, we didn't find the buses to be all that bad. :shrug:

Monday - Magic Kingdom

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Thanks in advance...
How old are your kids?

For kids excited about their first trip to Disney, I suggest not blowing the Magic Kingdom wad right off the bat. Build up to it.

With your current plan Animal Kingdom may be a bit of a letdown after two days of MK. :2cents:
Son is 5 and daughter is 2. I figured they'll have fun at MK the first two days. I'm afraid if we waited until later in the week they'll be too tired to really enjoy MK.

Monday - Magic Kingdom

Tuesday - Magic Kingdom

Thanks in advance...
for Animal Kingdom... Everest is the best ride with the most FastPass demand. If the kids are big enough, that's the FP to target. The Kilimanjaro Safari is usually better early in the day. If you don't mind a little running and FP kiosks are open by breakfast time, grab Everest FastPasses right before Tusker House. (This can get a little tricky, as part of the Tusker House wait is getting a family picture taken with Donald Duck in safari gear.) If you can pull this off, your Everest FastPasses should be live after breakfast, and you can grab Kilimanjaro FPs on your way to Everest and the Dinosaur section of the park.

If the kids aren't big enough for Everest, grab Kilimanjaro FPs right before breakfast. They should be live right after your meal.

I found the Dinosaur ride to be really bumpy and a bit of a letdown, but if your kids are into Dinosaurs or like Jurassic Park, they will dig it.

The kids might get a little antsy waiting for the Lion King or Finding Nemo shows... but those shows really are spectacular. The Lion King show is a bit more kid-friendly. It's a run-through of the big songs from the movie/musical. The show is in the round with four bleacher sections surrounding it. If you sit along the right edge of a bleacher section, especially down near the front, there's a good chance the kids will be asked to join the show and parade around the stage during "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

The Finding Nemo musical is a stage show mix of live action and puppetry. IMO is a good show all around, but if the kids like the movie they will like the show. The theater for Finding Nemo is a bit bigger than Lion King a a lower-demand show, so the wait and seating will be a little easier.

The last time I was at WDW, AK was experimenting with FastPasses for the last Lion King show of the day. Not sure if that gained traction or expanded.
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

I bet we will walk by each other at some point. I will be the idiot with an altenmunster in one hand and a huge pretzel in the other trying to figure out how to put mustard on the pretzel.Currently killing time at DHS while the wife and son go on tower of terror. My fast pass runner duties are complete.
Speaking of Chef Mickey how good is the place? We're going there tomorrow night. Also, what's the easiest way to get there from Coronado Springs?

Speaking of Chef Mickey how good is the place? We're going there tomorrow night. Also, what's the easiest way to get there from Coronado Springs?
Chefs Mickeys is a lot of fun. The food is decent and plentiful but is by no means gourmet. It is typical buffet food to me, maybe a notch above average. We only book a meal there if there are kids in our party.

The best way to get to Chef Mickeys from the Coronado is to drive directly to the Contemporary by car if you have one.

If not then take a bus to the Magic Kingdom (MK) or Ticket & Transportation Center (TTC), then hop on the monorail to the Contemporary.

Looks like we will be there the weekend before Halloween. Never been there that time of year.
I was there last Halloween. Was fun. They have a special Halloween ticket at night. We got it. My kids favorite part was the dance parties with the characters. We trick or treated at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian so by the time we got to the MK, our bags were full. That allowed us to only go to a few stops in MK and not all

Looks like we will be there the weekend before Halloween. Never been there that time of year.
Awesome time to go. Crowds will be moderate but tolerable, weather will be great. Definitely suggest you do the Mickey Not So Scary Halloween Party at the MK one night while you are there.

Godsbrother with the proper answer on the Chef Mickey question - we really only go because of the kids.

Coming back this time was really tough. Moreso than normal. Probably because my wife actually convinced me to not bring any work and I actually turned my phone off for a few days so I had a real vacation - and it was great. Be Our Guest was a hit with our group, but overall I wasn't very impressed to the point that I have to go again. Don't get me wrong, nothing was bad. But I didn't appreciate the check in system at all, the service was a tad slow and the food while very good wasn't very different than other places there. The atmosphere is great though. As to check in, it was an interrogation, we had 12 people in our party and they demanded that I bring every one of them to the line (and we had 4 kids with us two of which were sleeping) it was just not handled well but I get why they do it.

I think my wife is already planning the next trip. I need to lose 30 pounds beforehand just to have room again.

First two days here have been really awesome. Did the MK thing both days and while we haven't done a lot of rides, rather just soaking it all in, I think we've done what we've wanted to. There were a few rides I wanted to do, but with a 5 and 2 year old, there were other priorities. We've gone to a ccouple of character dinners and the kids have loved it, which is what matters to me at this point. You're right about Chef Mickey's. Food was meh, but the kids were on cloud 9. Headed to AK tomorrow and HS on Thursday and then going back home on Friday.

We're already planning our next trip and while I would like to go back next year, I think we'll save a little more and head back in the Summer of 2015. I told my wife though I wanted to stay at Wildnerness Lodge the next time we came and probably stay probably 6 or 7 days instead of 4 full days. So many things to do here and in a couple of years the kids will be older and I'll be a little wiser on what to do, etc.

I do have a question.... we've done the basic dining plan and it has been nice. From what I understand though we don't really save any money under the plan. I guess that's the case, but I do like the fact that we've paid for the bulk of our meals in advance instead of having to fork it over now. In the future though, should we use a dining plan or just save up and shell out the money when we actually get here? We've eaten more than we normally would because I wouldn't have a desert with every meal. Anyway, just curious if anyone else really likes the meal plan.

I also have another question in planning for our next Disney vacation. While I would love to avoid the crowds in the Summer, unfortunately I probably won't be able to two years from now since our son will be in school. We would probably stay about 6 days. All that being said, would it just be an absolute waste of time going in the Summer? Would we be miserable the entire time due to hot weather, long waits, and huge crowds?

Thanks...

I also have another question in planning for our next Disney vacation. While I would love to avoid the crowds in the Summer, unfortunately I probably won't be able to two years from now since our son will be in school. We would probably stay about 6 days. All that being said, would it just be an absolute waste of time going in the Summer? Would we be miserable the entire time due to hot weather, long waits, and huge crowds? Thanks...
For the reasons you listed (weather, crowds and school), we go annually the week before Christmas and have really enjoyed it. Crowds are manageable then but are unbearable between Christmas and New year's day. If you can swing ditching extended family for Christmas for a year it's a good time to go. Really, i'd recommend any Disney fan doing Christmas there at least once.We don't do the meal plan because it's just too much food and money. If you get it discounted in a package its probably worth it. We do breakfast in the room, pack snacks/small lunches for the park and then eat like kings for dinner at epcot or downtown Disney.

I also have another question in planning for our next Disney vacation. While I would love to avoid the crowds in the Summer, unfortunately I probably won't be able to two years from now since our son will be in school. We would probably stay about 6 days. All that being said, would it just be an absolute waste of time going in the Summer? Would we be miserable the entire time due to hot weather, long waits, and huge crowds?

Thanks...
We went in October and took the kids out of school for a week. If the crowds were only 1.5 times as much as we had when we were there I would not go. Not to mention the obvious heat factors. Your tolerance for crowds and heat may be higher than mine but I could not see going any where near a peak time of year. There is nothing there worth more then a 45 minute wait. At least very little. Take kids out of school for a week and have an adventure with them, they will most likely enjoy it more and think you are cool. They can make up a week of school no problem.

Grady

I have done both, summer and not. There is no comparison. To be honest, we didn't enjoy the summer trip. Too many people. I could tolerate the heat but not the people.

I have gone in December (typically around the 15th) and we just did Halloween. My daughter is in Kindergarten this year and the plan was to miss a few days of school. We got lucky with the hurricane, schools were closed all week. Both of those times were great because not only were the crowds thinned out, but the also offer the special ticket nights. You can get the whole MK done in a night leaving characters, parades and shows available the other days with no waiting for lines.

The other great thing about going off peak is that they offer free dining plans. I'm very surprised you weren't able to get that this past week since most schools are still going and it's not a holiday week. But free dining makes going off peak much more affordable.

Thanks...
I've gone in March, May and July. March during the kids spring break, May (we took them out of school) and July.

By far the best overall trip was May. May the temps are high 80s in the day (not very humid either) and mid 60s at night. Longest wait at the parks was 20 minutes and most like rides were basically no wait. Then at night, it's still warm enough to swim in the pool. You can reserve any dinner, any day, at any time. Plus, it barely rains in May.

July was way too crowed, too humid, just blah. But my family is forced to do the July vacations because the Charter School they go to doesn't allow them to miss a lot of time.

March wasn't too bad. Similar to May except at night it got a bit chilly and we had to wear sweatshirts.

My :2cents: on timing.

Since 2010 I have been in September, June, March, June again, and October.

Crowdwise...September was the best...right around Labor Day...but that was before my son was in school. It was super hot though.

June was busy both times...but just the only times we could have gone those years...it helped that at that point we knew what we were doing as far as park layouts and plans (but yeah, it was hot).

March i found pretty busy too...lots of spring break crowd headed that way. Was still enjoyable...cooler weather in the morning that warmed up well for me.

Then we went last October and to me it was great. Had the Halloween Party which the kids loved (and it was the best fireworks show I have seen there for sure). Crowds were not bad as not everyone gets a fall break as we do (or the timing is just different compared to so many being on Spring Break at the same time). And the weather was pretty good. When we go back, it will likely be another October trip...or a trip right when the kids get out in December one year to see it lit up for Christmas.

We're actually here in Florida right now and it's great. We got here on 4/26 and have visited both SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Universal Studios. Lines are not long and not too many people so this is a great time to go IMO.

We are strictly summer visitors b/c my wife is a teacher and we cant travel any other time (expect long holiday weeks which we won't do)

my take on the summer is that we take it Slooooooooow. We have been there a bunch of times and plan longer trips (12 days this time) so that we don't have to cram everything into 1 day. We spend a lot of the afternoons at the resort or doing other things like Downtown Disney or water parks.

We intentionally stay at Bay Lake Tower simply for the convenience—Monorail resort (for Epcot) and 5 minute walk to MK. Makes taking those afternoon breaks so much easier. Same holds true for Epcot resorts like Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Clubs—short walks or boat rides to Epcot and Studios.

Summer heat sucks, but stay covered with hats, pack light and do lots of inside, show type attractions and soak in some AC.

Have fun, just go with it and enjoy being away.

One advantage in going in the summer months is that the parks stay open much later. If you get to the parks early, leave at noon to relax at the pool and hotel, then return around 6:00-6:30 PM you can have a great time. I would definitely avoid the week leading up to, and immediately after, July 4th though.

I dont think I could handle the crazy crowds. I was there in June once. The first couple days were great, but then it was like the flood gates opened. It was insane how many people were there. We just blew off the parks the last day we were there because we didnt want to deal with it.

Not sure when your kids go back to school, but crowds die way down after the second week of August. The heat is still there in full force, but that doesnt bother us.

One advantage in going in the summer months is that the parks stay open much later. If you get to the parks early, leave at noon to relax at the pool and hotel, then return around 6:00-6:30 PM you can have a great time. I would definitely avoid the week leading up to, and immediately after, July 4th though.
That's when we're going this year (7/3-7/13). But we are skipping Disney and doing Discovery Cove, Sea World and Aquatica.

Our favorite time and the time we've gone the most by far is the week right afer Thanksgiving. It's off peak, but set up entirely for Christmas. Longest line is 20 minutes tops accept for Soarin and the weather is perfect. We were melting last week there. When you wake up and it's 80 degrees it's tough to get a full day in like you do in November/December when the high is in the 70's and its just comfortable all day.

Our favorite time and the time we've gone the most by far is the week right afer Thanksgiving. It's off peak, but set up entirely for Christmas. Longest line is 20 minutes tops accept for Soarin and the weather is perfect. We were melting last week there. When you wake up and it's 80 degrees it's tough to get a full day in like you do in November/December when the high is in the 70's and its just comfortable all day.
I really want to get there during Xmas season, but with the kids school, we're pretty screwed.

I really want to get there during Xmas season, but with the kids school, we're pretty screwed.
I dont get it. If you want to take them out of school, do it. I teach and I cant tell you how often kids go missing for a week or two on vacation

I dont get it. If you want to take them out of school, do it. I teach and I cant tell you how often kids go missing for a week or two on vacation
Agreed. We always took our kids out of school for a few days on every trip and it never hurt them. We used to get their homework assignments and they would work on them on the trip there and back and an evening or two back at the hotel.

Agreed. We always took our kids out of school for a few days on every trip and it never hurt them. We used to get their homework assignments and they would work on them on the trip there and back and an evening or two back at the hotel.
We do also...One time we caught some flack from the principal when we were doing a spring vacation. He asked "why don't you do your traveling during the scheduled vacations?" Our issue is the fact that my wife is a CPA in a public firm, and she can't take a vacation in 'busy season' between January and April 15. So we talk to the kids teachers, get as much work as we can, and go from there.

In fact, once we were able to get stuff from their teachers in such a way that we were able to keep the trip a secret until the day we were leaving! (We pulled them out of school with them thinking they were headed to the doctor's office for flu shots.) It took them a couple seconds to fully understand where we were going (WDW)! Wonderful video to show and embarrass them later in life!!! :excited: :P

My kids go to a PA Charter School. Acceptance into the school is done by lottery. I was extremely lucky to get all my kids in there. It's a Title I School and in order for the school to recieve Title I funding from the State the school has to have a certain attendance threshold. If a student goes over the threshold, they are dismissed from the school. I would then have to send them to Philadelphia Public School (no way!) or Catholic School (with a $6000/yr tuition). When my kids went to Catholic School, I had no problem taking them out during the school year. If they went to public school, yeah, who cares. But a charter school, I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread