What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disturbing video with parents' reaction to son coming out as gay (1 Viewer)

The absense of religioin would do nothing to eliminate hatred in society. Emotions such as hate, greed, and envy are inherient in people. People are going to hate other people. Maybe geography, maybe politics, maybe skin color. Your manifestiation of hatred towards all things religion is just another example of what you profess to hate.
Religion empowers the hate by shielding it from having to justify itself on rational grounds. Without religion, there is no leg to stand on here.
You can't be serious.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/england-fans-warned-after-gay-pride-parade-is-ambushed-by-500-ultraright-hooligans-in-ukraine-7778584.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, what did you think you were getting into going to a Northeastern liberal arts college?
Came from a middle class upbringing into a hardcore hippie-left PG year at boarding school, and was honestly so apolitical and clueless that I didn't realize what Northeast universities were like. Hadn't heard that before. In my little hick town, if you went to college, that was living the dream. Our graduating class college rate was about 50%, which is pretty low.

I also came from the left back then. I was in no position to realize how radicalized it had gotten. I was seventeen and thinking FDR and poverty; they were thinking about the New New Left and a century ahead.

And not too serious. Just a bad memory. When the Women's Coalition has four of the seven members of the entire campus on your dang floor your freshman year of college, and it's below zero all the time, you remember your freshman year, that's for sure. We spent most of our time in the gym playing basketball that year, that's all I'll say.
The "Left" is no different than the "Right" in a lot of ways. Both of them are close-minded and refuse to consider anything that doesn't fit inside their little box of ideas.

The absense of religioin would do nothing to eliminate hatred in society. Emotions such as hate, greed, and envy are inherient in people. People are going to hate other people. Maybe geography, maybe politics, maybe skin color. Your manifestiation of hatred towards all things religion is just another example of what you profess to hate.
What non religious grounds do you see people shielding themselves with when spewing hate towards gays?

Religion empowers the hate by shielding it from having to justify itself on rational grounds. Without religion, there is no leg to stand on here.
It's pretty gross to those of us not wired that way.

You can't be serious.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/england-fans-warned-after-gay-pride-parade-is-ambushed-by-500-ultraright-hooligans-in-ukraine-7778584.html
I didn't say it eliminated the hate, I said it shields and empowers it. Not much to debate there. :shrug:

ETA - i didnt read yout post, but after reading the top google link (the economist)... Orthodox Christianity is also the prevailing religion in Ukraine and two other countries..

rockaction doing his best Tim impression in this thread
Empirical political arguments wind up getting personal, especially when you're asked what your personal motive is in making the argument. It's a fair enough criticism on your end, but give me a break. I don't usually make threads about me. Almost ever. :bs:

eta* I'm calling bull#### on me, by the way.

You can't be serious.

I didn't say it eliminated the hate, I said it shields and empowers it. Not much to debate there. :shrug:

ETA - i didnt read yout post, but after reading the top google link (the economist)... Orthodox Christianity is also the prevailing religion in Ukraine and two other countries..
Ukraine is around 60% irreligious.

$93,000 donated to this kid on a gofundme page... ####### amazing!!

$93k that could've gone to St Jude, ASPCA, Aids research, Wounded Warriors, etc...

My only commentary is that if I could have my 8 year old who died in June back, I can't even imagine batting an eyelash at something so trivial as his sexual orientation. If you could make that a wedge issue between you and the love of your child, you don't deserve them IMO.

You can't be serious.

Religion can be used to empower hate or empower love. The majority of Chrisitans cringe at the hate displayed here.

The only choice that was made by anyone in that video was by those who chose to believe the bible is "the word of God".

I used to believe that, because I trusted people who had been believing in Jesus Christ much longer than I did who told me that.

But as I grew older I wanted to understand more deeply why we know it is "the word of God". I enrolled in seminary. After two semesters, I know longer believe the bible is "the word of God". I still believe Jesus is who He said He is. In fact, I had to go through a period where I had to determine if I could believe Jesus is the Christ if the Bible is not "the word of God". Today, I can wholeheartedly say that yes my faith in Jesus Christ is NOT contingent on the bible being "the word of God".

I believe Christ called believers to testify to the world about Him. He chose twelve men, and then instructed them to testify to the world about him. He said He would send a "helper" after He was gone. That helper is the Holy Spirit. If the bible is "the word of God" don't you think Christ would have mentioned that it was coming after he left? Don't you think he would have said something like "After the helper comes, a book is going to be written, and absolutely nothing in that book will be wrong at all. You can trust it to be absolutely right!". Kind of important for Christ to not say, right?

The bible is a collection of testimonies and letters. That's it! Nothing more. They are FANTASTIC testimonies and letters. Some of the best ever written in history, and I recemmond believers and non-believers in Christ read them. But they are not "the word of God". They are not "God breathed". They are not inerrant. They are not something that every Christian is required to accept as "the word of God" in order to be a Christian. If your church requires that, then they're wrong. Unfortunately 99.999999% of Christian churches DO require that, and anyone who says otherwise is a heretic. This is because the Christians in Rome dominated Christianity, and by the end of the first few centuries AD had used it's world influence to get most Christians in the world to conform. Those who didn't were ostricized. And they eliminated all controversy by elevating a preferred collection of writings to a status on par with God himself. And who can argue with "the word of God"? So if your opinion doesn't match what God's word says, then you're wrong. Viola! All controversy ended.... except 20 centuries later there are now 1000+ interpreations of what "the word of God" really says, so now there's even more controversy and division in the church than the evevation of the writings to Godly status was intended to solve.

If I am a heretic for no longer believing the bible is "the word of God", then so be it. But I will go to my grave proclaiming to believe Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the savior ot the world, and not have to do so with hate for homosexauals. Good luck to all you non-heretic Christians who have churches that require you to do so. Church today is more about belief in the Bible being "the word of God" than it is about belief that Christ is the Son of God. Some people even go so far as to say "Without the Bible, how could we believe in Christ?" Ask the first Christians. The entire NT hadn't even be written yet, and they believed in Christ.

What non religious grounds do you see people shielding themselves with when spewing hate towards gays?

Gross enough to disown a child?

$93k that could've gone to St Jude, ASPCA, Aids research, Wounded Warriors, etc...
He got kicked out of the house and disowned (after being beat up by his family). He probably needs the money to live on and IMO deserves every penny of it. And of course people who are really bothered by this can themselves give to St Jude, ASPCA, Aids research, Wounded Warriors, etc...

He got kicked out of the house and disowned (after being beat up by his family). He probably needs the money to live on and IMO deserves every penny of it. And of course people who are really bothered by this can themselves give to St Jude, ASPCA, Aids research, Wounded Warriors, etc...
I do, and a helpless child (and their family) suffering from cancer, children suffering from Aids, injured veterans (plus families) are a far greater cause than someone dealing with a ####ty family getting kicked out of their house at 19 years old. We know nothing about this guy, these donations could've been made to worthier causes IMO, hence no donation to Daniel from FC42.

At 19.......

Gross enough to disown a child?
Touche.

So, all I know is my own experience, and maybe my generalizations aren't correct, though I think they were for my brief moment in time, based upon my own experience. Maybe I was just in proximity with more radical queers back then.
What you describe sounds completely foreign to me. Being gay either wasn't talked about except in small quiet circles, or was talked about as something someone had little or no choice in.

The radical queers sound kind of cool though. Were they a band?

I do, and a helpless child (and their family) suffering from cancer, children suffering from Aids, injured veterans (plus families) are a far greater cause than someone dealing with a ####ty family getting kicked out of their house at 19 years old. We know nothing about this guy, these donations could've been made to worthier causes IMO, hence no donation to Daniel from FC42.
Good for you. I will have a drink in your honor when I get home. :banned:

Oh come on! well, I chose not to donate to his cause but I did pour a glass of ice water over my wife's head as sort of a challenge donation.

Just amazing how am entire family can turn on their own with such venom and hatred.
Yeah, it's painful to hear really. Hard to imagine what it would feel like to be completely rejected and disowned by your own family. Not surprising at all that it leads to suicide in many cases. Pretty sure my family would be horrified if they saw some of the women I banged, but they'd never disown me for it.

So, all I know is my own experience, and maybe my generalizations aren't correct, though I think they were for my brief moment in time, based upon my own experience. Maybe I was just in proximity with more radical queers back then.
What you describe sounds completely foreign to me. Being gay either wasn't talked about except in small quiet circles, or was talked about as something someone had little or no choice in.

The radical queers sound kind of cool though. Were they a band?
If it isn't, it should be.

Just amazing how am entire family can turn on their own with such venom and hatred.
Yeah, it's painful to hear really. Hard to imagine what it would feel like to be completely rejected and disowned by your own family. Not surprising at all that it leads to suicide in many cases. Pretty sure my family would be horrified if they saw some of the women I banged, but they'd never disown me for it.
You should've seen the looks on the faces of my Dad and Mom,

When I showed up at the door with a date for the senior prom.

They said: "Well, pardon us, son, she ain't no kid.

That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig."

I said: "I know it, dad. Ain't she cool, That's the kind I dig."

It's easy to condemn religious parents for reacting negatively when they learn that their child is a homosexual. I feel sorry for them. In their anger and ignorance they are turning away someone they've loved their entire life, no doubt shared many joys and happiness with. Hopefully this isn't the end of the story.

if people would take care of themselves....you know, mind their own business and not give a rat's ### about color, gay, religion, this country would be a lot more liveable. we compound this problem by video recording every ####### facet of life.

jeez, i hardly care what the #### you got going on, i got my own #### to worry about.

:goodposting:

Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut until he secured a place of his own. I'm sure he knew the reaction he was going to get.

I honestly don't blame the family 100%. With all the crap you find on the internet and how being gay is being portrayed as borderline "cool", the kid probably never even attempted the idea of being with a women. I doubt he's ever even had sex with a girl, yet he's letting all this propaganda get to him.

If people were truly born gay, there would be some type of evidence whether it was a brain pattern or a gene that you could specifically look at.

Now, if the kid chose to be gay that's his choice. It's not one that I would support but it's definitely his right as a human being to do so. I personally would be furious if one of my kids ended up being gay given my views on the topic. And before I get a million responses #####ing at me about my stance.

1.) This is my opinion.

2.) I've had this argument over and over again with you people and there's no one has ever provided evidence that people were "born" gay. All they resort to is calling me a bigot because I don't irrationally believe what the mass media tells me. Despite the fact the mass media consistently lies or bends the truth to get people to believe something.

3.) I've even gone as far as to say it's more likely that everyone is bisexual than that everyone is 100% straight or 100% gay as stated in this thread, there are situational, genetic, and behavioral strains to the issue.

I honestly don't blame the family 100%. With all the crap you find on the internet and how being gay is being portrayed as borderline "cool", the kid probably never even attempted the idea of being with a women. I doubt he's ever even had sex with a girl, yet he's letting all this propaganda get to him.

If people were truly born gay, there would be some type of evidence whether it was a brain pattern or a gene that you could specifically look at.

Now, if the kid chose to be gay that's his choice. It's not one that I would support but it's definitely his right as a human being to do so. I personally would be furious if one of my kids ended up being gay given my views on the topic. And before I get a million responses #####ing at me about my stance.

1.) This is my opinion.

2.) I've had this argument over and over again with you people and there's no one has ever provided evidence that people were "born" gay. All they resort to is calling me a bigot because I don't irrationally believe what the mass media tells me. Despite the fact the mass media consistently lies or bends the truth to get people to believe something.

3.) I've even gone as far as to say it's more likely that everyone is bisexual than that everyone is 100% straight or 100% gay as stated in this thread, there are situational, genetic, and behavioral strains to the issue.
Cringed when I saw you were the last poster, still hoped it wasn't something like what you posted; disappointed. You talk about bettering yourself by getting a degree, working out, getting a job, but you're gonna have to take your head out of your ### on stuff like this unless you just want to date trailer whores.

1.) This is my opinion.

You're obviously very informed on this subject. I'd love to hear more.

1.) This is my opinion.

Oh geez...not the discredited "He wouldn't be gay if he just had sex with a woman" nonsense. :wall: I haven't seen any scientific proof of gay men being "cured" of homosexuality by a having a heterosexual encounter (or even a marriage to a woman) but perhaps you can provide a link to some studies that verify that.

People suggested (in not so polite terms) in another thread that perhaps you are not well suited to someday become a father. Your comment "I personally would be furious if one of my kids ended up being gay given my views on the topic" confirms that.

And if being gay is indeed a choice (as you contend) please give us the month, day and year you chose to be heterosexual, because with your views on homosexuality if hard to believe you wouldn't remember when specifically you made that decision.

1.) This is my opinion.

So lets assume he chose to be gay (he didn't, and you're wrong, but lets just assume he did). Why are you still behind the family 100%? Why is choosing to be gay so heinous that it means disowning one of your children?

I don't believe Eminence is a religious person. Doesn't his post contradict the assertion that religion is the main reason for homophobia?

People can react however the hell they want to react. If it's honest, what more can you ask for? Not everyone will agree. We have bigger problems than worrying about who's feelings are being hurt.

He's you, right before you discovered the excuse of "the propaganda".

I don't believe Eminence is a religious person. Doesn't his post contradict the assertion that religion is the main reason for homophobia?
No, religion is the main justification for homophobia. HIs post however does confirm that ignorance is the main reason for homophobia.

Em, think of it this way. You say you're straight so think back to high school, there's a gorgeous girl sitting across the aisle wearing a short skirt, legs crossed, your eyes lock on that little crease on the underside of her knee, and she's randomly moving her foot up and down and doodling in her notebook. You swear those gorgeous legs are glistening, and you catch a whiff of what you think might be the shampoo she used this morning. Obviously, your #### is now a flagpole and you're hoping the bell doesn't ring.

Now you're telling me, a perfectly straight male would CHOOSE not to act on those feelings? The most urgent, primal needs rustling in your loins? A young man thinks about sex every 10 seconds I believe it is. Nope, because it's now "cool" to be gay, he's going to go against his own nature? Can you imagine how nasty, awkward, unnatural and wrong that would feel?

Now imagine you live in the Bible Belt, or really anywhere in this country 20 years ago, when it was decidedly the very opposite of cool to be gay, when you would be ostracized, made fun of, possibly beaten, and been disowned by your family....I mean dude, do you really need this spelled out? How is this not just a fundamental part of human understanding that it needs to be explained? You have to twist logic to a perverse degree to believe anyone would choose that.

Now twist it around...you're living in bizarro world where everyone else (it seems) is gay, and you're sitting there staring at Mary Miniskirt with your raging boner, and you've been told all your life such urges are deviant, inhuman, disgusting. The quarterback asked you to be his date to the prom and you accepted, because you don't want to let your parents down. Can you allow the notion into your brain that that life might lead to self-loathing, a feeling of worthlessness, of being less of a "man" than everyone else? So much so that it leads to suicide in many cases? Are you really, really, so certain that there aren't teenagers right now, just consumed like you were for Mary, but instead for someone of the same sex? At a purely primal, biological level? Because if you aren't absolutely 110% sure, you're supporting what amounts to psychological torture, and in many cases, suicide. Why not just say, you know what, I don't know what's in someone else's heart, but what harm is it doing to me if they want to love Steve instead of Mary? Will Walgreens add an extra deduction to your paystub? Will your textbooks cost more?

I don't know man, I think eventually you're going to wise up on this. You're not a dumb guy.

No, religion is the main justification for homophobia. HIs post however does confirm that ignorance is the main reason for homophobia.
People that are different are always being picked on. People don't need to hide behind religion to do it. It happens all day on this board.

Users who are viewing this thread