What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disturbing video with parents' reaction to son coming out as gay (1 Viewer)

Em, think of it this way. You say you're straight so think back to high school, there's a gorgeous girl sitting across the aisle wearing a short skirt, legs crossed, your eyes lock on that little crease on the underside of her knee, and she's randomly moving her foot up and down and doodling in her notebook. You swear those gorgeous legs are glistening, and you catch a whiff of what you think might be the shampoo she used this morning. Obviously, your #### is now a flagpole and you're hoping the bell doesn't ring.

Now you're telling me, a perfectly straight male would CHOOSE not to act on those feelings? The most urgent, primal needs rustling in your loins? A young man thinks about sex every 10 seconds I believe it is. Nope, because it's now "cool" to be gay, he's going to go against his own nature? Can you imagine how nasty, awkward, unnatural and wrong that would feel?

Now imagine you live in the Bible Belt, or really anywhere in this country 20 years ago, when it was decidedly the very opposite of cool to be gay, when you would be ostracized, made fun of, possibly beaten, and been disowned by your family....I mean dude, do you really need this spelled out? How is this not just a fundamental part of human understanding that it needs to be explained? You have to twist logic to a perverse degree to believe anyone would choose that.

Now twist it around...you're living in bizarro world where everyone else (it seems) is gay, and you're sitting there staring at Mary Miniskirt with your raging boner, and you've been told all your life such urges are deviant, inhuman, disgusting. The quarterback asked you to be his date to the prom and you accepted, because you don't want to let your parents down. Can you allow the notion into your brain that that life might lead to self-loathing, a feeling of worthlessness, of being less of a "man" than everyone else? So much so that it leads to suicide in many cases? Are you really, really, so certain that there aren't teenagers right now, just consumed like you were for Mary, but instead for someone of the same sex? At a purely primal, biological level? Because if you aren't absolutely 110% sure, you're supporting what amounts to psychological torture, and in many cases, suicide. Why not just say, you know what, I don't know what's in someone else's heart, but what harm is it doing to me if they want to love Steve instead of Mary? Will Walgreens add an extra deduction to your paystub? Will your textbooks cost more?

I don't know man, I think eventually you're going to wise up on this. You're not a dumb guy.
So you're telling me if Mary went up to him... ran her finger across the crotch of his jeans, he wouldn't get a boner?

That if she unzipped his jeans and gave him head, he wouldn't enjoy it?

I honestly don't blame the family 100%. With all the crap you find on the internet and how being gay is being portrayed as borderline "cool", the kid probably never even attempted the idea of being with a women. I doubt he's ever even had sex with a girl, yet he's letting all this propaganda get to him.

If people were truly born gay, there would be some type of evidence whether it was a brain pattern or a gene that you could specifically look at.

Now, if the kid chose to be gay that's his choice. It's not one that I would support but it's definitely his right as a human being to do so. I personally would be furious if one of my kids ended up being gay given my views on the topic. And before I get a million responses #####ing at me about my stance.

1.) This is my opinion.

2.) I've had this argument over and over again with you people and there's no one has ever provided evidence that people were "born" gay. All they resort to is calling me a bigot because I don't irrationally believe what the mass media tells me. Despite the fact the mass media consistently lies or bends the truth to get people to believe something.

3.) I've even gone as far as to say it's more likely that everyone is bisexual than that everyone is 100% straight or 100% gay as stated in this thread, there are situational, genetic, and behavioral strains to the issue.
You're despicable.

I honestly don't blame the family 100%. With all the crap you find on the internet and how being gay is being portrayed as borderline "cool", the kid probably never even attempted the idea of being with a women. I doubt he's ever even had sex with a girl, yet he's letting all this propaganda get to him.

If people were truly born gay, there would be some type of evidence whether it was a brain pattern or a gene that you could specifically look at.

Now, if the kid chose to be gay that's his choice. It's not one that I would support but it's definitely his right as a human being to do so. I personally would be furious if one of my kids ended up being gay given my views on the topic. And before I get a million responses #####ing at me about my stance.

1.) This is my opinion.

2.) I've had this argument over and over again with you people and there's no one has ever provided evidence that people were "born" gay. All they resort to is calling me a bigot because I don't irrationally believe what the mass media tells me. Despite the fact the mass media consistently lies or bends the truth to get people to believe something.

3.) I've even gone as far as to say it's more likely that everyone is bisexual than that everyone is 100% straight or 100% gay as stated in this thread, there are situational, genetic, and behavioral strains to the issue.
You're despicable.
Um...I just wanna say that I read this in Daffy Duck's voice.Okay, you guys carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to fall on this sword, but here's an example of both, actually. This is exactly what I was talking about. From SUNY-Albany, this professor. I'm serious. Perhaps my experience doesn't match other peoples' experiences, but this was a distinct line of thought back then (1995), especially in the feminist movements of the time.

http://www.slideshare.net/tayoulevy/biological-determinism-and-homosexuality

BTW* Hello, old neighbor, also!

eta2* Note this line "Openly gay or pro-gay scientists have joined traditionally conservative biological determinists..." (1995)

eta3* And I remember the Time article distinctly, as it is what got me in the ####house back then.
The mid-nineties were the heyday of nuttiness on the left, at least during my lifetime, just like the present may be the heyday of nuttiness on the right. It would not surprise me to learn that there were small pockets of leftist people on college campuses who believed that it was inappropriately reductionist or patriarchal or fascist to believe that sexual orientation could be the result of genes or other biologically deterministic factors. After all, there were some groups of feminists who refused to believe in the very existence of DNA! Moreover, some prominent feminists during that time believed that the only reason guys could throw farther than girls (on average) was social, due to gender-stereotype-reinforcing parenting, rather than physiological.

But I don't think that was ever mainstream lefty stuff, just like I wouldn't say that racism is currently mainstream righty stuff. I think it was always pretty fringe, at least outside of certain college campuses.

I find it curious that this debate always turns into an argument of whether one chooses to be gay or not. What difference should that make?

Em, think of it this way. You say you're straight so think back to high school, there's a gorgeous girl sitting across the aisle wearing a short skirt, legs crossed, your eyes lock on that little crease on the underside of her knee, and she's randomly moving her foot up and down and doodling in her notebook. You swear those gorgeous legs are glistening, and you catch a whiff of what you think might be the shampoo she used this morning. Obviously, your #### is now a flagpole and you're hoping the bell doesn't ring.

Now you're telling me, a perfectly straight male would CHOOSE not to act on those feelings? The most urgent, primal needs rustling in your loins? A young man thinks about sex every 10 seconds I believe it is. Nope, because it's now "cool" to be gay, he's going to go against his own nature? Can you imagine how nasty, awkward, unnatural and wrong that would feel?

Now imagine you live in the Bible Belt, or really anywhere in this country 20 years ago, when it was decidedly the very opposite of cool to be gay, when you would be ostracized, made fun of, possibly beaten, and been disowned by your family....I mean dude, do you really need this spelled out? How is this not just a fundamental part of human understanding that it needs to be explained? You have to twist logic to a perverse degree to believe anyone would choose that.

Now twist it around...you're living in bizarro world where everyone else (it seems) is gay, and you're sitting there staring at Mary Miniskirt with your raging boner, and you've been told all your life such urges are deviant, inhuman, disgusting. The quarterback asked you to be his date to the prom and you accepted, because you don't want to let your parents down. Can you allow the notion into your brain that that life might lead to self-loathing, a feeling of worthlessness, of being less of a "man" than everyone else? So much so that it leads to suicide in many cases? Are you really, really, so certain that there aren't teenagers right now, just consumed like you were for Mary, but instead for someone of the same sex? At a purely primal, biological level? Because if you aren't absolutely 110% sure, you're supporting what amounts to psychological torture, and in many cases, suicide. Why not just say, you know what, I don't know what's in someone else's heart, but what harm is it doing to me if they want to love Steve instead of Mary? Will Walgreens add an extra deduction to your paystub? Will your textbooks cost more?

I don't know man, I think eventually you're going to wise up on this. You're not a dumb guy.
So you're telling me if Mary went up to him... ran her finger across the crotch of his jeans, he wouldn't get a boner?

How would you react if Steve did that to you? If this really is difficult for you to grasp, maybe I'm wrong in my assumption that you're basically intelligent.

How would you react if Steve did that to you?If this really is difficult for you to grasp, maybe I'm wrong in my assumption that you're basically intelligent.
I would punch Steve in the face because I CHOOSE to be straight.

I find it curious that this debate always turns into an argument of whether one chooses to be gay or not. What difference should that make?
None, except in the context of a religious basis to disapprove of homosexuality

For crissakes I only take the time because I felt exactly the same way in my early 20s. Hoped maybe some enlightened thought could sneak in there. Just keep up the snarky one-liners and be another MC gas huffer, or use your brain for a second and tell me what part of what I said doesn't seep in?

1.) This is my opinion.

So lets assume he chose to be gay (he didn't, and you're wrong, but lets just assume he did). Why are you still behind the family 100%? Why is choosing to be gay so heinous that it means disowning one of your children?
Pretty much, his family line has reproduced for the past millions of years and suddenly he decided that he's not going to? He has a fully functioning package and he decides to be gay because it's "OK" in today's society. If his parents had decided either of them were "gay", the son wouldn't even be there.

If you have any sort of pride in yourself and your heritage, your focus should be to carry on your legacy. If the parents had knowledge that he never even had a sexual encounter with a woman before, I think that would be grounds to be even more upset. Biologically, the male body is made to be aroused by the female body. Anyone with a #### likes getting head. ###### is like head times a million. You can't tell me that you like when a dude sucks you off but don't like thrusting into a warm ######, a body part specific designed to take ####.

None
Sure it does, because if proven one can choose to be gay then all these people telling kids they are "born that way" are pulling them away from a natural lifestyle of being heterosexual.

How would you react if Steve did that to you?If this really is difficult for you to grasp, maybe I'm wrong in my assumption that you're basically intelligent.
I would punch Steve in the face because I CHOOSE to be straight.
You probably don't realize what you just said there. I wasn't going to break out "thou doth protest too much", but you may have unintentionally made a very telling statement.

None
Sure it does, because if proven one can choose to be gay then all these people telling kids they are "born that way" are pulling them away from a natural lifestyle of being heterosexual.
Approximately 1500 different species practice homosexuality

None
Are they homosexual exclusively or bisexual? I would wager that humans are the only species that choose to be specifically homosexual.

It shouldn't make any difference. But it does to some opposing homosexuality for supposedly religious reasons. If it's a choice it's the same as choosing to drink a beer or cheat on taxes or hit your wife -- a simple personal decision. They're fine condemning bad decisions. If it's not a choice but is genetic, it's the way god made some people, and that's a stumbling block to opposing homosexuality for supposedly religious reasons.

It's easy to condemn religious parents for reacting negatively when they learn that their child is a homosexual. I feel sorry for them. In their anger and ignorance they are turning away someone they've loved their entire life, no doubt shared many joys and happiness with.
That's an interesting perspective. The parents are the wrongdoers here, just as Ray Rice was the wrongdoer in the elevator. To what extent should we feel sorry for wrongdoers when they chose actions that hurt the people they (purport to) love? Does it depend on their subsequent remorse? That family doesn't strike me as the type that will become remorseful.

I have to say that when I watched that video, I felt more frustration and even anger toward the family than I did sympathy. I felt very sorry for the kid, but not at all for the parents. That may well be a moral failing on my part, though I suspect I'm not alone.

None
Are they homosexual exclusively or bisexual? I would wager that humans are the only species that choose to be specifically homosexual.
You'd argue that based on what

Are a majority of people in their early 20s this ignorant?
No, the majority are as ignorant as the people posting on the board that think homosexuality is some type of unpreventable disease despite there being no medical support to suggest that one has NO CHOICE and is born a certain way.

None
You'd argue that based on what
The absence of evidence. I've already stated that I think intrinsically that all humans are bisexual. Being that if somebody of either gender sucked you off, you'd get off just the same. But to suggest that any biological human male can have NO ATTRACTION to a female and chooses to go selectively for men, is laughable.

...and if that is the case, it's something the person would choose.

It's easy to condemn religious parents for reacting negatively when they learn that their child is a homosexual. I feel sorry for them. In their anger and ignorance they are turning away someone they've loved their entire life, no doubt shared many joys and happiness with.
That's an interesting perspective. The parents are the wrongdoers here, just as Ray Rice was the wrongdoer in the elevator. To what extent should we feel sorry for wrongdoers when they chose actions that hurt the people they (purport to) love? Does it depend on their subsequent remorse? That family doesn't strike me as the type that will become remorseful.

I have to say that when I watched that video, I felt more frustration and even anger toward the family than I did sympathy. I felt very sorry for the kid, but not at all for the parents. That may well be a moral failing on my part, though I suspect I'm not alone.
no you're not alone. I felt the same way. I guess I should have writing that I feel intellectually compelled to feel sorry for the parents, but I have a difficult time doing so.

Because as in the video, it's used as coercion against gays to say they can choose to "go back". I would assume it's one of the most offensive things a gay person can hear in that context. Or with our mascot Em here, it's used to justify blatantly ignorant and homophobic statements. If we're speaking in generalities about tolerance, civil rights or whatever, the question of choice is irrelevant. We shouldn't oppress people based on who they sleep with, regardless of why they sleep with whomever.

No, the majority are as ignorant as the people posting on the board that think homosexuality is some type of unpreventable disease despite there being no medical support to suggest that one has NO CHOICE and is born a certain way.
Yeah, I have no idea why you struggle so much getting a girlfriend.

Didn't you post once about how you shared your views on homosexuality at a bar and a girl threw water in your face?

It shouldn't matter; but even stuff that shouldn't matter is worth correcting when people get it wrong. I mean, it's the Internet and we're bored. What else are we going to do?

Didn't you post once about how you shared your views on homosexuality at a bar and a girl threw water in your face?
I don't get it. Why should I have to conform to societies beliefs? Why can't anybody respect my beliefs? There is just as much evidence for what I am saying as to what you are saying. And yes, this FAT ##### did throw water in my face because she was a bigot and couldn't agree to disagree. It was her way or no way.

EDIT: I didn't feel compelled to throw my drink in her face for disagreeing with me. Yet I'm the bigot.

1.) This is my opinion.

So lets assume he chose to be gay (he didn't, and you're wrong, but lets just assume he did). Why are you still behind the family 100%? Why is choosing to be gay so heinous that it means disowning one of your children?
Pretty much, his family line has reproduced for the past millions of years and suddenly he decided that he's not going to? He has a fully functioning package and he decides to be gay because it's "OK" in today's society. If his parents had decided either of them were "gay", the son wouldn't even be there.

If you have any sort of pride in yourself and your heritage, your focus should be to carry on your legacy. If the parents had knowledge that he never even had a sexual encounter with a woman before, I think that would be grounds to be even more upset. Biologically, the male body is made to be aroused by the female body. Anyone with a #### likes getting head. ###### is like head times a million. You can't tell me that you like when a dude sucks you off but don't like thrusting into a warm ######, a body part specific designed to take ####.
Do you have a problem with a heterosexual couple that chooses not to have children?

1.) This is my opinion.

Do you have a problem with a heterosexual couple that chooses not to have children?
If it was my kid, I would honestly be disappointed and have a long discussion as to why they came to the conclusion. Even letting them know that if their mother and I never procreated, they wouldn't be alive to make that decision.

I don't get it.
We know.

1.) This is my opinion.

If it was my kid, I would honestly be disappointed and have a long discussion as to why they came to the conclusion. Even letting them know that if their mother and I never procreated, they wouldn't be alive to make that decision.
Disappointed to the same extent if your son told you he was gay?

And you wouldn't be here either if your parents had decided either of them were gay, which is one of the best arguments for homosexuality that anyone could make.

Yeah, I have no idea why you struggle so much getting a girlfriend.Didn't you post once about how you shared your views on homosexuality at a bar and a girl threw water in your face?
I don't get it. Why should I have to conform to societies beliefs? Why can't anybody respect my beliefs? There is just as much evidence for what I am saying as to what you are saying. And yes, this FAT ##### did throw water in my face because she was a bigot and couldn't agree to disagree. It was her way or no way.

EDIT: I didn't feel compelled to throw my drink in her face for disagreeing with me. Yet I'm the bigot.
Substitute the same thoughts that think blacks are inferior or women are second class citizens. Why can't anyone respect those beliefs? Because you're a bigot.

So sure, you can have those opinions. But very few will respect them because you're a bigot. Good for her for throwing a drink in your face.

1.) This is my opinion.

Thank god there is no chance of you ever getting laid and reproducing.

None
FFA Homosexual Species Draft!!!!!!

1.01 King Penguin

1.) This is my opinion.

Probably about the same.

EDIT: In both situations, I would be happy that my son / daughter would be happy but preferred they made different life choices. I however cannot live my children's lives for them and respect any decision that they do make.

1.) This is my opinion.

Probably about the same.
So the "we have a duty to procreate" argument against homosexuality is not valid, correct? Since you have the same objection to heterosexuality.

That was worse than I thought it would be. It's sad how some people latch onto small facets of religious doctrine, and in the process of doing so manage to miss the entire core message.

1.) This is my opinion.

Probably about the same.
So the "we have a duty to procreate" argument against homosexuality is not valid, correct? Since you have the same objection to heterosexuality.
How's it not valid? I would have to know the circumstances around the heterosexual couples decision not to reproduce. They made a rational decision whereas the homosexuals had no choice in their decision not to reproduce. The point is, as their father I wouldn't support either choice.

serious question here Em, when you see a gay dude, do you get irate and just think to yourself "THAT GUY'S NOT CARRYING ON HIS LEGACY. SO UNNATURAL. WHAT AN #######. #### THAT GUY." just trying to understand here. sans religion, that is the most peculiar reason i've seen for disagreeing with homosexuality.

now if you wanna claim religion and "defending what's natural", that's fine I guess, but I don't know if your god would agree with all the gambling and (attempted) womanizing you do. are you working to drop those vices like the kid in this video should be working to like #####?

Users who are viewing this thread