What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you hedge your bets in dynasty rookie drafts? (1 Viewer)

rct

Footballguy
This year in three leagues I have no worse than the 1.02. I consider five players in the first tier at roughly the same value (Bernard/Austin/Patterson/Bell/Hopkins). I have found that at the same slot I am taking different players (again they all have equal value in my mind). For instance at 1.02 I took Bernard in one league and Patterson in another.

My question is, is it better to take the same player at the same spot and put all your eggs in one basket? Or is it better to hedge your bets and take different players to minimize the risk of picking a bust?

Just curious what the preferred strategy is among dynasty owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it would depend on the strength of your conviction in the player, your leagues' scoring and your roster needs in each league.

But if you believe in a player and he fits the bill in each league, then don't be afraid to go all in.

I think the nature of the game demands a certain amount of chance taking.

I like spreading my net. Diversify if only because sometimes you like several players in a similar tier and it may be the only way to put a chip on their number.

Another option is to snag those players in redrafts to satisfy that itch.

No way to hedge with rookies. Go with your guys.
Yes, agreed. But what if you like the first five all about equally? A situation where "your guy" is not among the choices because you have no real preference. Go with the one you like just slightly better or mix it up?

I feel like this is self-regulating. If you are so sold on someone that it makes you sick to see them on another roster, you won't have to even ask the question. If you are feeling pulled in different directions because you have multiple players close, then differences in the scoring/league position value/your current roster/etc. will seem compelling enough to break the tie in favor of a player that you haven't taken yet in the same tier with others that have so that you have chips down on multiple players in the tier across your teams. I know that there are at least 10-12 players in this class that I would feel remiss if I didn't have them on at least one of my rosters to make following their career development more fun.

In other words, I don't think it is a strategic question. It is a case-by-case basis and your gut will guide you.

I feel like this is self-regulating. If you are so sold on someone that it makes you sick to see them on another roster, you won't have to even ask the question. If you are feeling pulled in different directions because you have multiple players close, then differences in the scoring/league position value/your current roster/etc. will seem compelling enough to break the tie in favor of a player that you haven't taken yet in the same tier with others that have so that you have chips down on multiple players in the tier across your teams. I know that there are at least 10-12 players in this class that I would feel remiss if I didn't have them on at least one of my rosters to make following their career development more fun.

In other words, I don't think it is a strategic question. It is a case-by-case basis and your gut will guide you.
Thanks Bloom - that is more or less from where I was coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread