What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think think Favre should call it quits (1 Viewer)

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level.  Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other. 
A few bad throws?Brett Favre accounted for 36 turnovers (2.25 per game) in 2005. His decision making for the most part was horrible. He threw into triple and quadruple coverage so many times that I lost count. If Favre had been a lesser named player he would have been benched on several occasions. The Green Bay Packers lost 8 games by a touchdown or less and 5 games by a field goal or less in 2005. If Brett had played in a little more disciplined style the Pack could have easily been a .500 team last year.

Brett Favre is one of the few players I would have paid double the price of admission to watch in past seasons. Last season I felt he embarassed himself.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't buy it. Anyone actually believing Favre was blindsided needs to see me for ocean front property. It's plain as day he can't bear being removed from the controversy for more than a couple weeks with being 'dragged into an interview.'
Please provide links that will have Favre mentioning retirement without being asked about it first. I will hang up and listen now.
How many flippin times does he have to be asked? He damn well knows that question is coming in every interview.
So what you are saying is he should stop giving interviews? Or, when he is interviewed he should bring it up without being asked?
How about saying no comment and keeping in house if was really the oh so great team player y'all think he is.

I see your point. This guy is always angling for media attention. He wins 3 MVPs. Becomes the NFL QB Ironman. Gets addicted to pain killers and then seeks help instead of getting caught. Then, when he started declining and couldn't win the big one, he knocks off pappy before the MNF football game. Gave his wife cancer. And killed off her brother just for good measure. And he even the the nerve to steal away attention from the plight of New Orleans by having his own family home destroyed. Just wait. Next he is going to get stuck in a well and need to be rescued or something.

It's ridiculuos. Hey, if he wants to play I've got no beef with that. Just do it and shut up. Don't come out every offseason and milk it dry. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back." My god, crap or get off the stool already. I'm stifled trying to remember a guy "woe is me"ing the last 4 years of a great career. Some guys stay too long (Emmitt, Rice) but they didn't act like it was torturing their soul. And on ESPN? Pease. Media whore.

I just don't buy it. Anyone actually believing Favre was blindsided needs to see me for ocean front property. It's plain as day he can't bear being removed from the controversy for more than a couple weeks with being 'dragged into an interview.'
Please provide links that will have Favre mentioning retirement without being asked about it first. I will hang up and listen now.
How many flippin times does he have to be asked? He damn well knows that question is coming in every interview.
So what you are saying is he should stop giving interviews? Or, when he is interviewed he should bring it up without being asked?
How about saying no comment and keeping in house if was really the oh so great team player y'all think he is.
:goodposting: He knows what's coming when he goes into interviews. Sure, he may not have initiated the question OR the interview, but he damn well knows that retirement is going to come up.....because it does EVERY time now. Shut up and play or quit. Hearing all of this :hophead: is so old....

He knows what's coming when he goes into interviews. Sure, he may not have initiated the question OR the interview, but he damn well knows that retirement is going to come up.....because it does EVERY time now. Shut up and play or quit. Hearing all of this :hophead: is so old....
You people have some serious man-hate for Favre it is quite unmatchable. Either that or you all have some serious man-love for the guy. Either play or quit? Well, after all the guy has never missed a start, is reaching up there in age and also has a family to consider. If you all act this way about every NFL player contemplating retirement I feel for you, truly. Sounds to me like the people who need to grow up are the ones calling for his head on a post just because they read numbers and know nothing about the Packers 2005 season. Keep hating crying about Favre because in the past decade he most likely OWNED you and your team. Oh well, boys sometimes are always boys.

:goodposting: He knows what's coming when he goes into interviews. Sure, he may not have initiated the question OR the interview, but he damn well knows that retirement is going to come up.....because it does EVERY time now. Shut up and play or quit. Hearing all of this :hophead: is so old....
And the minute he dodges the retirement question, the haters will rip him for that. :yes:

He knows what's coming when he goes into interviews.  Sure, he may not have initiated the question OR the interview, but he damn well knows that retirement is going to come up.....because it does EVERY time now.  Shut up and play or quit.  Hearing all of this  :hophead:   is so old....
You people have some serious man-hate for Favre it is quite unmatchable. Either that or you all have some serious man-love for the guy. Either play or quit? Well, after all the guy has never missed a start, is reaching up there in age and also has a family to consider. If you all act this way about every NFL player contemplating retirement I feel for you, truly. Sounds to me like the people who need to grow up are the ones calling for his head on a post just because they read numbers and know nothing about the Packers 2005 season. Keep hating crying about Favre because in the past decade he most likely OWNED you and your team. Oh well, boys sometimes are always boys.
:goodposting: :own3d:

:goodposting: Exactly. These guys are acting like it's totally outlandish for an athlete to set parameters for an interview. Something like "Absolutely I'll give my opinion on the Superbowl but my future plans are undecided, so don't ask about it in the interview. Superbowl week should not be about Favre's future, and I'm not decided anyway."

No, that would be simply impossible. Also the words "no comment" and "I'm not worrying about it right now" would be impossible to speak. Gotta have the drama to keep the lapdogs close.

:goodposting: Exactly. These guys are acting like it's totally outlandish for an athlete to set parameters for an interview. Something like "Absolutely I'll give my opinion on the Superbowl but my future plans are undecided, so don't ask about it in the interview. Superbowl week should not be about Favre's future, and I'm not decided anyway."

No, that would be simply impossible. Also the words "no comment" and "I'm not worrying about it right now" would be impossible to speak. Gotta have the drama to keep the lapdogs close.
:cry:

I know, the truth hurts. Go find another Packer fan and get a hug.

I know, the truth hurts. Go find another Packer fan and get a hug.
No, what hurts is watching the haters continue to wander around in this world without a clue.If Favre didn't answer a question about retirement, you'd be the first hating tool whining about it. :D

No. If he wants to play and the Packers let him, why the hell shouldn't he? If the GB coach or GM lacks the stones to bench Favre because of his icon status, that's not on Brett.
I agree with this to a point. But you can't tell me Aaron Rodgers is a better QB and will help the Packers more than Favre.

Yea, and then all you morons would be calling him a Prima Donna when you find out he's setting paramaters for an interview..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

If Favre didn't answer a question about retirement, you'd be the first hating tool whining about it. :D
I'd be hating Favre for not continuing to be a drama queen? My God, what an unfounded statement. I mean seriously, I can't even fathom thinking "Gee, Favre should be slightly more public about his plans... the world deserves to know." Since the obvious seems to escape you, I'd be tickled pink if I never ever had to read offseason quotes from Mr. Tortured Soul again.

Yea, and then all you morons would be calling him a Prima Donna when you find out he's setting paramaters for an interview..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
It's obviously pretty important to you favre nuzzlers to believe he'd be hated in any event. These completely baseless opinions scream it. Fact is, I can't picture anyone but the Packers insisting he make a public decision, and even then I'd only want to know by draft time. Personally, as an NFL fan I'd respect him keeping a personal decision private without putting a play-by-play on ESPN as if he's drumming up media coverage. If a player doesn't want to speculate as to his retirement over 25 million TV sets the last thing I'd think is "Prima Donna." The first thing I'd think is Thank You.

This whole thread reminds me of that scene in Bull Durham where Crash is coaching the young pitcher on his cliche's. Apparently thOse are the kinds of answers some people here are looking for from athletes. Personally, I think that's boring, but to each their own. I actually enjoy when an athlete answers a question honestly. It's not very smart, but at least it's entertaining.

It's obviously pretty important to you favre nuzzlers to believe he'd be hated in any event. These completely baseless opinions scream it. Fact is, I can't picture anyone but the Packers insisting he make a public decision, and even then I'd only want to know by draft time. Personally, as an NFL fan I'd respect him keeping a personal decision private without putting a play-by-play on ESPN as if he's drumming up media coverage. If a player doesn't want to speculate as to his retirement over 25 million TV sets the last thing I'd think is "Prima Donna." The first thing I'd think is Thank You.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No. If he wants to play and the Packers let him, why the hell shouldn't he? If the GB coach or GM lacks the stones to bench Favre because of his icon status, that's not on Brett.
I agree with this to a point. But you can't tell me Aaron Rodgers is a better QB and will help the Packers more than Favre.
I'm not. See my previous post in this thread.

This whole thread reminds me of that scene in Bull Durham where Crash is coaching the young pitcher on his cliche's. Apparently thOse are the kinds of answers some people here are looking for from athletes. Personally, I think that's boring, but to each their own. I actually enjoy when an athlete answers a question honestly. It's not very smart, but at least it's entertaining.
:goodposting: Excelent point. I think what is going on is that some personality types just need to hate. I am guessing the Favre bashers are the same people who boo and heckle when they go to a game. It is difficult for me to fathom. Favre is a great athlete and a great human being. One of the most remarkable celebrities I have ever had the joy to watch. And people take him down for ... answering questions honestly!!! For doing exactly what is best for the NFL and ESPN. Maintaining integrity!!!! I just can't imagine such anger at somebody for doing such an innocuous thing as answering questions in an interview.

This whole thread reminds me of that scene in Bull Durham where Crash is coaching the young pitcher on his cliche's.  Apparently thOse are the kinds of answers some people here are looking for from athletes.  Personally, I think that's boring, but to each their own.  I actually enjoy when an athlete answers a question honestly.  It's not very smart, but at least it's entertaining.
:goodposting: Excelent point. I think what is going on is that some personality types just need to hate. I am guessing the Favre bashers are the same people who boo and heckle when they go to a game. It is difficult for me to fathom. Favre is a great athlete and a great human being. One of the most remarkable celebrities I have ever had the joy to watch. And people take him down for ... answering questions honestly!!! For doing exactly what is best for the NFL and ESPN. Maintaining integrity!!!! I just can't imagine such anger at somebody for doing such an innocuous thing as answering questions in an interview.
:goodposting: We have to cut the haters some slack, they just aren't well.

:goodposting: I can understand people not liking the Packers, but how could you dislike Favre as a football player? All he's done is play his ### off every game, and tried to do all that he can to win games. While he's not as good at it as he once was, you can't question his heart and effort. Favre is football.

For those bashing him in this thread; if he was on your favorite team, would you feel the same way?

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thread reminds me of that scene in Bull Durham where Crash is coaching the young pitcher on his cliche's.  Apparently thOse are the kinds of answers some people here are looking for from athletes.  Personally, I think that's boring, but to each their own.  I actually enjoy when an athlete answers a question honestly.  It's not very smart, but at least it's entertaining.
:goodposting: I can understand people not liking the Packers, but how could you dislike Favre as a football player? All he's done is play his ### off every game, and tried to do all that he can to win games. While he's not as good at it as he once was, you can't question his heart and effort. Favre is football.

For those bashing him in this thread; if he was on your favorite team, would you feel the same way?
Well, I've seen the words "bashing," "angry" and "dislike" now seemingly attributed to my posts; not to mention one comment that my personality type is that of some loony who boos and heckles at games. It's ridiculous. All I'm saying is I'm tired of reading, on an annual basis, how Favre is thinking about hanging up the cleats. Honestly, last night I dug up articles from Sept 2002, May 2003, July 2003, and many more recent articles with Favre going back and forth on the retirement issue, very publicly. I didn't post them, because I knew what the reaction would be and I thought better of wasting my time to simply rub people's nose in reality. In some of these, Favre was getting angered that the topic was open for discussion and even said "whoever started this talk should be shot" when the entire topic dates back to his own comments to SI in 2002 and his ongoing willingness to hem and haw in every rag from JSonline to Mississippi. For a guy who claims to want his retirement to remain private, he sure does a lot of public commenting on the issue. And frankly, I don't buy that he's shocked when the topic comes up because he's never put a lid on it... at all. Particularly when he gives detailed comments on the topic during Super Bowl week, which should be a week dedicated to those teams who have earned being on center stage. I'd draw an analolgy to Jack Nicklaus, who has shamelessly allowed major tourneys to commemorate his final walk up the 18th fairway in "maybe his final major" since 2000. It actually has gotten to the point that he's receiving flack for it and it doesn't mean people hate him. To answer your question, if he was a QB for my team I would question his ability to lead when he's teetering, on an annual basis, toward riding off into the sunset. When guys talk publicly about retirement, my assumption is something is missing. Doesn't mean he's not a great QB. Doesn't mean his warrior status has been tarnished. Doesn't mean I'm looking for cliche responses. And it certainly doesn't mean I "hate" him.

Well, I've seen the words "bashing," "angry" and "dislike" now seemingly attributed to my posts; not to mention one comment that my personality type is that of some loony who boos and heckles at games. It's ridiculous. All I'm saying is I'm tired of reading, on an annual basis, how Favre is thinking about hanging up the cleats. Honestly, last night I dug up articles from Sept 2002, May 2003, July 2003, and many more recent articles with Favre going back and forth on the retirement issue, very publicly. I didn't post them, because I knew what the reaction would be and I thought better of wasting my time to simply rub people's nose in reality. In some of these, Favre was getting angered that the topic was open for discussion and even said "whoever started this talk should be shot" when the entire topic dates back to his own comments to SI in 2002 and his ongoing willingness to hem and haw in every rag from JSonline to Mississippi. For a guy who claims to want his retirement to remain private, he sure does a lot of public commenting on the issue. And frankly, I don't buy that he's shocked when the topic comes up because he's never put a lid on it... at all. Particularly when he gives detailed comments on the topic during Super Bowl week, which should be a week dedicated to those teams who have earned being on center stage. I'd draw an analolgy to Jack Nicklaus, who has shamelessly allowed major tourneys to commemorate his final walk up the 18th fairway in "maybe his final major" since 2000. It actually has gotten to the point that he's receiving flack for it and it doesn't mean people hate him. To answer your question, if he was a QB for my team I would question his ability to lead when he's teetering, on an annual basis, toward riding off into the sunset. When guys talk publicly about retirement, my assumption is something is missing. Doesn't mean he's not a great QB. Doesn't mean his warrior status has been tarnished. Doesn't mean I'm looking for cliche responses. And it certainly doesn't mean I "hate" him.
Favre has NEVER initiated the retirement talk. When asked about it he speaks about it open and honestly. He is a class act and the media feels the same way.If the haters don't like it, skip over the articles or turn the channel. No one is forcing you to read the articles or watch TV.

It isn't rocket science.

I kind of like him in the role of the Bears beoatch.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I'll excuse you because you don't really know how to act during a winning season.

Nice :fishing: trip though

:fishy:
No fishing on my part whatsoever... The Bears won the last two at Lambeau (all games under Lovie Smith up there) and swept the Pack this year. That imho is OWNING Favre. Especially considering he owns most single game passing records at Soldier Field. That is ALL in the rear view mirror though.

I haven't respected Favre since he gave up the sack record to Strahan. If his name wasn't Favre, there's a good chance that he is creamed on his next legit pass play because his line might 'forget' to block for him. He screwed over his offensive line along with the previous record holder and every NFL fan who doesn't like tainted records. How do you look your linemen in the face when they busted their butt all game and year to protect you and you put them in the record books as the team that gave up the record breaking sack.

I haven't respected Favre since he gave up the sack record to Strahan. If his name wasn't Favre, there's a good chance that he is creamed on his next legit pass play because his line might 'forget' to block for him. He screwed over his offensive line along with the previous record holder and every NFL fan who doesn't like tainted records. How do you look your linemen in the face when they busted their butt all game and year to protect you and you put them in the record books as the team that gave up the record breaking sack.
LMAO at the idea that the OL have lost all respect for Favre. I bet you can't even name the player who got credited with giving up the sack that game and went down into the "history book" with forever shame put across his name but what the hell why don't you go google it and explain to me how this guy's career is forever tainted with giving up the sack.

Well, I've seen the words "bashing," "angry" and "dislike" now seemingly attributed to my posts; not to mention one comment that my personality type is that of some loony who boos and heckles at games. It's ridiculous. All I'm saying is I'm tired of reading, on an annual basis, how Favre is thinking about hanging up the cleats. Honestly, last night I dug up articles from Sept 2002, May 2003, July 2003, and many more recent articles with Favre going back and forth on the retirement issue, very publicly. I didn't post them, because I knew what the reaction would be and I thought better of wasting my time to simply rub people's nose in reality. In some of these, Favre was getting angered that the topic was open for discussion and even said "whoever started this talk should be shot" when the entire topic dates back to his own comments to SI in 2002 and his ongoing willingness to hem and haw in every rag from JSonline to Mississippi. For a guy who claims to want his retirement to remain private, he sure does a lot of public commenting on the issue. And frankly, I don't buy that he's shocked when the topic comes up because he's never put a lid on it... at all. Particularly when he gives detailed comments on the topic during Super Bowl week, which should be a week dedicated to those teams who have earned being on center stage. I'd draw an analolgy to Jack Nicklaus, who has shamelessly allowed major tourneys to commemorate his final walk up the 18th fairway in "maybe his final major" since 2000. It actually has gotten to the point that he's receiving flack for it and it doesn't mean people hate him.To answer your question, if he was a QB for my team I would question his ability to lead when he's teetering, on an annual basis, toward riding off into the sunset. When guys talk publicly about retirement, my assumption is something is missing. Doesn't mean he's not a great QB. Doesn't mean his warrior status has been tarnished. Doesn't mean I'm looking for cliche responses. And it certainly doesn't mean I "hate" him.
Let's see you've posted your disgust of Favre, and Nicklaus; who's next Ghandi? Can you tell me which athletes you respect the most, such that guys like Favre and Nicklaus give you such angst?

It's ridiculuos. Hey, if he wants to play I've got no beef with that. Just do it and shut up. Don't come out every offseason and milk it dry. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back." My god, crap or get off the stool already. I'm stifled trying to remember a guy "woe is me"ing the last 4 years of a great career. Some guys stay too long (Emmitt, Rice) but they didn't act like it was torturing their soul. And on ESPN? Pease. Media whore.
No...not a media whore at all...he does not go to them...they come to him...why do some people simply not get that?

That's a pretty good point. But they are the ones interviewing him. He is simply answering the questions.You can blame this on the Seahawks and Steelers playing in the Super Bowl. Nothing else to write about....
Care to quote anyone who stated he was blindside?That is besides the point...im sure he could have declined the interview...but that is not like him...if someone asks him to do it...he generally does things like that and will answer.

And the media loves it because it gets this type of knee jerk reaction out of people.

If you are tired of reading it...don't read it. But the media will keep playing the angle...will keep the asking the questions...and Favre, as he has done his whole career, will keep answering the questions asked to him. Nobody is saying he is shocked by it...why keep asking such a dumb question about being shocked when not one person has insinuated such a thing? Want to complain...whine about the reporters who continue to ask the question rather than focusing on the Super Bowl.

Obviously it is now time for an NFL senior tour.

Flutie and Favre can be team captains.
Do not ever compare those two...kind of ridiculous to compare a guy who has played only maybe 5 full seasons as a starter (not even that I don't believe) to a guy who has not missed a start since becoming a starter.

Yes, this is getting old and I can't see how it doesn't weigh on his teammates. His selfishness may have also played a part in the Javon Walker catastrophe.
Selfishness? Please. As the team captain he commented on the situation of wanting his number one weapon in camp. Sure the "I hope they do not give into him" was a bit off...but none of it had any damn thing to do with Walker being injurred.It does not weigh on his teammates because it is January.

I'm sorry but I missed the threads and accusations about McNabb, Owens, Shanahan, etc. as "media whores". Didn't McNabb have an interview this week that garnered a lot of attention? Come on, he had to know he was going to be asked about TO. Didn't Owens speak to Shanahan about joining the Broncos last week? How dare they do this during Super Bowl week!!! Those MEDIA WHORES!!!Can any of you Favre-haters provide me with a link to a thread where you criticized them as attention seeking whores?

Brett Favre is mentally shot and should retire. He reminds me an older boxer who killed someone in a fight and can't pull the trigger anymore. Physically he looks the same as ever but between the ears there is nothing there anymore. Also if he wasn't the greatest qb of his generation would he have even started after the midway point of last season?

Users who are viewing this thread