What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anyone else hate Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band? (2 Viewers)

Springsteen

• I am a fan

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I am NOT a fan

Votes: 50 54.9%
  • Zip it the hell up Willie

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Had a conversation with a friend who is a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. He was genuinely surprised that not only was I not a fan but I legitimately loathe the band and their music. Bruce's singing style has always sounded like he's constipated and trying to push out a big log. Also, the band's on stage presence has always bugged the hell out of me, like they're up there on stage trying to be seen while they play the songs. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense but I don't know how else to describe it. Their rendition of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is easily my least favorite Christmas song of all-time. I feel like I SHOULD like them as they are right in the pocket of era/type of music but I don't. Does anyone else feel the same? Can any hardcore fans steer me to some songs that may change my feelings?

Notes:

- My band covers Brilliant Disguise and I don't hate that song
- The only music I hate more is Van Morrison
- Try reading this post in Bruce's constipated voice
- I know, who cares
- Happy leap year day

Big fan but I get the dislike. He is or at least was a very much love him or hate him type artist. I bailed on Bruce after Born in the USA. His early stuff is what I cut my teeth on and listen to it to this day regularly, takes me back to HS and the 80's. That said, there were 2-3 of us that loved Springsteen and pretty much everyone else hated him. I get it, to each their own.

Never was a fan. And then I saw him live where he absolutely killed for 3 straight hours. So while his music is not my taste, I did respect the hell out of him as a musician and an artist.
Yea one thing I will give the Boss, even if you don't like his music, dude puts on a show now. I've seen him in a couple different settings, from small venues to stadiums and he goes hard for 3+ hrs every time.

I had similar experience on changing mind after seeing him live. I was neutral. Saw him live and walked away a fan. Pours his heart into it.

I can see people who think he's overrated or annoying. And some people hate popular things on principle. But I'd be like the OP's friends and surprised to find many people who like music who hate Springsteen.

Hate? No.

Do I think it's REALLY weird when people see him in concert dozens and dozens of times including multiple nights in a row? YUP.

I'm not a concert guy regardless but seeing basically the same show over and over again (plus or minus a few changes in the set) just makes zero sense to me.

Like Deadheads, Parrotheads (RIP) and whatever they call people who follow a particular artist, the community with other like-minded weirdos is a big part of what brings them in and keeps them coming back.

Never was a fan. And then I saw him live where he absolutely killed for 3 straight hours. So while his music is not my taste, I did respect the hell out of him as a musician and an artist.
Yeah, that’s where I am on him too. He puts on a great show live and would definitely see him again. But I also can’t remember the last time I put on one of his albums just to listen to.

One thing I am not a fan of, is your poll options. ;) I'm in between being a fan and "NOT" a fan. I like a fair number of is songs and I greatly respect his effort in live shows bug I don't go out of my way to listen to his music. If the songs I like come on I'm happy to listen to them.

I had similar experience on changing mind after seeing him live. I was neutral. Saw him live and walked away a fan. Pours his heart into it.
To me his enthusiasm seems so inorganic. More like he's trying to make it look like he's pouring his heart into it. Maybe the horrific pain in his face while he plays a simple guitar chord has something to do with my opinion here.

Nebraska is maybe a top 10 album for me.
That's when he really started to explore and it ended my relationship with him. Haven't listened to anything he's done since then. I can wear out Darkness on the Edge of Town and/or Born to Run but his stuff from Nebraska on :x

I enjoy things like Philadelphia and Tunnel Of Love quite a bit, but I don't really enjoy his more iconic stuff.

Anytime I see interviews with him, he seems like a very interesting person.

To me his enthusiasm seems so inorganic. More like he's trying to make it look like he's pouring his heart into it. Maybe the horrific pain in his face while he plays a simple guitar chord has something to do with my opinion here.
What about the Peloton screen?

He’s a multi-millionaire putting on 3 hour shows at age 75 or whatever he is. What about that is inorganic. If he didn’t love it he wouldn’t do it.

I’m a big fan. I do get why some people don’t like his music but he performs his concerts like his career depends on it.

Nebraska is maybe a top 10 album for me.
That's when he really started to explore and it ended my relationship with him. Haven't listened to anything he's done since then. I can wear out Darkness on the Edge of Town and/or Born to Run but his stuff from Nebraska on :x
I like his earlier stuff more for sure but the rising is a top-3 Bruce album for me, easily.

He’s actually a very impressive guitar player. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t notice any histrionics, but of course I saw him like a year ago when he was 70+.

Hate? No.

Do I think it's REALLY weird when people see him in concert dozens and dozens of times including multiple nights in a row? YUP.

I'm not a concert guy regardless but seeing basically the same show over and over again (plus or minus a few changes in the set) just makes zero sense to me.
This is where I'm at. I have a college friend who is the type that would see him every night of her life if she could. Little weird.

I do feel its a bit pretentious when he starts off a song with some spiel about being a hard working blue collar longshoreman in Jersey or whatever it is he goes on about. Just sing the song.

It's not that I hate it, I'm just not the target audience.

otb_lifer might check his account again if you keep posting topics like these. Keep it up. That way I can get back in touch with him.

Heh.

I have a lot to say about Bruce, but I'm going to exercise my own Thumper Rule for this thread—not because I have only negative things to say, but with the conscious thought that there are things that don't always need to be personally or critically examined, and one can let the moment pass without ruining a good conversation being had by everybody.

Last edited:
What about the Peloton screen?
I put some tape on it.

Your "pushing out a log" description pretty much sums it up for me. Guitar playing- just fine; singing- oy vey.

He does give value for money concert-wise, though.

Hate? No.

Like Deadheads, Parrotheads (RIP) and whatever they call people who follow a particular artist, the community with other like-minded weirdos is a big part of what brings them in and keeps them coming back.
My 62 year old sister and her husband have probably seen Tool--5-6 times this year. I like Tool, but 5-6 times already this year??

I like Bruce's early stuff, but as time goes on, he has just succumb to the "Look I am Bruce and my opinions are sooo important," thing that happens to older stars and artists.

Not a huge fan, but I did see him live on The River tour in October 1980 at The Los Angeles Sports Arena and was quite impressed. He was everything that was advertised.

I had wanted to see the show, but all 4 L.A. dates immediately sold out within minutes, so I didn't expect to. However, a friend of mine had bought tickets for the first night and he found out the day of the show that he had to work that evening, so he gave the tickets to me.

It seems that Springsteen did like a 4-hour show, but I could be misremembering. But I do remember that he was great that night and I would place that in my Top 10 live shows of all time. One thing I particularly recall is when he did Hungry Heart, Flo & Eddie (formerly of The Turtles) who had done the studio backing vocals of the song, came on stage and did the song with him.

Hate? No.

My 62 year old sister and her husband have probably seen Tool--5-6 times this year. I like Tool, but 5-6 times already this year??

I like Bruce's early stuff, but as time goes on, he has just succumb to the "Look I am Bruce and my opinions are sooo important," thing that happens to older stars and artists.
I know someone who's seen Tool 15+ times. They're on my bucket list for sure. She invited me to go up to Fresno to see them with her a few weeks ago.... but it was on a Monday night and it was in .... Fresno.

Springsteen is one of those guys from the 80s who I have a few of his songs on playlists somewhere, like Rod Stewart or The Bangles. He's fine, but nothing special. John Mellencamp fills this same space and is much better IMO.

Springsteen is one of those guys from the 80s who I have a few of his songs on playlists somewhere, like Rod Stewart or The Bangles. He's fine, but nothing special. John Mellencamp fills this same space and is much better IMO.
I can see that. Thing is, at least for me, his best stuff has nor will ever be played on the radio. Yea we've all heard Born To Run ad nauseum but I'm willing to bet most have never heard Badlands, Candy's Room, Racing in the Street, Prove It All Night or even the title track from Darkness on the Edge of Town. That's one album and all these songs were/are fantastic. That's from the album most everyone has never even heard of. Then you go to Born To Run and there are 3 EPIC Springsteen songs most have never heard of, Thunder Road, Backstreets and the penultimate Jungleland. Just such great stuff.

Again, my opinion and that was a major part of the sound track of my HS years so take it for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread