What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anyone here still advocate taking a TE early? (1 Viewer)

This thread has led me to the point where I will strongly consider going for a Manning-RB-Gates strategy if I cannot get a first tier RB with my pick.I'm going to look at this closely once we are closer to draft day with more comprehensive rankings and projections available.
I think you could go RB-Manning-Gates if you were really so inclined. In a lot of leagues, you can probably go RB-Manning-RB-Gates. That's not a bad start if you're good at picking late round receivers.
IIRC, Manning went in the 1st and Gates in the 2nd or 3rd in every league I was in last year.

This thread has led me to the point where I will strongly consider going for a Manning-RB-Gates strategy if I cannot get a first tier RB with my pick.I'm going to look at this closely once we are closer to draft day with more comprehensive rankings and projections available.
I think you could go RB-Manning-Gates if you were really so inclined. In a lot of leagues, you can probably go RB-Manning-RB-Gates. That's not a bad start if you're good at picking late round receivers.
IIRC, Manning went in the 1st and Gates in the 2nd or 3rd in every league I was in last year.
Same here.

This thread has led me to the point where I will strongly consider going for a Manning-RB-Gates strategy if I cannot get a first tier RB with my pick.

I'm going to look at this closely once we are closer to draft day with more comprehensive rankings and projections available.
Same here.
How many teams? That seems strange to me, but you guys play with a lot of VBDphiles. According to this, on 9/4, Gates' ADP was 3.4 in a 12 team league, and Manning's was 2.4. Dodds did pretty well on this one, btw.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/06top200.php

Gates' value has almost certainly dropped this year. I have a feeling he'll be available later than he was last year. And according to the expert rankings, Manning's an early second rounder.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...amp;howrecent=7

This thread has led me to the point where I will strongly consider going for a Manning-RB-Gates strategy if I cannot get a first tier RB with my pick.

I'm going to look at this closely once we are closer to draft day with more comprehensive rankings and projections available.
Same here.
How many teams? That seems strange to me, but you guys play with a lot of VBDphiles. According to this, on 9/4, Gates' ADP was 3.4 in a 12 team league, and Manning's was 2.4. Dodds did pretty well on this one, btw.

Gates' value has almost certainly dropped this year. I have a feeling he'll be available later than he was last year. And according to the expert rankings, Manning's an early second rounder.

manning will be a first round pick in most drafts..imo. gates can be had in the third.so you will have to go manning/rb/gates.....and i just might.

Same here.

Most of my leagues have 14 teams... which means Manning and Gates will tend to be pulled forward in comparison to their round selection in 12 team drafts. And most of my leagues include a mix of smart owners and average owners... which tends to mean Manning is drafted higher because QBs are overvalued in general.

manning will be a first round pick in most drafts..imo. gates can be had in the third.so you will have to go manning/rb/gates.....and i just might.
Too much risk at RB and WR...regardless of what VBD says.
Might work in a league with large rosters -- you could draft a whole bunch of late-round RBs and WRs and see if you can hit a diamond in the rough. Go with no backups at QB/TE and you'll get some extra chances while everyone else drafts a QB2, TE2, QB3, etc.

SSOG said:
I think you make several very strong points supporting an arguement that Gates' numbers will not improve... but I don't see any compelling evidence that his numbers will actually decline, and as I already mentioned, even if he only plays at exactly the same levels as last year, he justifies the selection.
And this ends what is basically a long, long hijack on the specific value of this year's TE1. And, to summarize, Gates' VBD number is more likely to be in the 50-100 range than other players you could take at your third round pick. Other players, like Gonzalez and Heap and Winslow and Shockey and Witten and LJ Smith and so on, are capable of putting up similar or maybe even better numbers than Gates, but it's not as likely. On the other hand, the third round wide receiver or running back you'd take may be more likely to be of starter quality than the player you'd get in the sixth. The additional points of VBD you'd get for Gates are in some ways more valuable than your projections, because they seem more likely to be achieved than your projection for a risky player like, say, Randy Moss. On the other hand, they should probably be discounted somewhat by the fact you'll be taking an even riskier player at a position where you'll be playing more starters each week - for example, if your WR1 busts, not only are you going to get hurt by him until you finally give up and bench him, but you'll also have to develop a WR4 to fill your now-vacant WR3 spot, and you'll be starting a WR2 as your WR1, a WR3 as your WR2. This is a significant dropoff. The specifics of your league rules do impact this decision. If you have deep benches, don't have to start as many players, have fewer teams in your league, or are allowed to make lots of roster moves, you may benefit more from a player like Gates. If you have shallow benches, can't make a lot of roster moves, have a lot of teams and therefore there's nothing on the waiver wire, have tough competition, or have to start more WR/RB/QB type players, Gates' value is probably lower. Other rule changes like the weight given to TE receptions, TDs, yards, etc. will also change Gates' value, and possibly players like Winslow's value relative to Gates. And last but not least, we learned once again that SSOG and bostonfred are stubborn and have too much time on their hands.
The only part of this post that I object to is the exclusion of the terms "blowhards" and/or "windbags" from the concluding sentence. Outside of that minor language issue, I am willing to accept this proposed resolution. :lmao:
I commend you guys for having a well-mannered, formative, and cohesive dialogue on this one.
Yudkin,You have been here long enough to remember when this was all there was in the Shark pool.The fact is I have done 5 of these so far, with this one clearly being the most popular. I intend to do a few more, but I want them to be of value.I consider myself to be a really good drafter (last years' WCOFF notwithstanding, Fred). Still, my draft strategy doesn't have a consideration for QB or TE early so I wanted to challenge that assumption.As we get closer to actual drafts, I will become more player specific. Right now, it is more concept driven.Finally, I watch the thread, and chastise those not helping (read: LHUCKS)Gator
To respond in glittering generalities on how people should draft, all I can say is that each owner needs to take a skills inventory and reflect on their own what they know, what they have done in the past, how well they've done, and on their own determine what works for them.For example, if an indiviual does well at targeting QB or TE late and they do a decent job that way, why should they change?I generally have done worse taking WR early so I am leary of doing that again. I can generally do well taking RBs early and have done the best when I don't have a set plan and take whomever falls to me that should never have fallen that far.Long story short, the teams that will win consisently are the ones that get elite (not above average) production from the most players on a roster. One LT will trump a team chocked full of Philip Rivers, Ahman Greens, Fred Taylors, Jerrico Cotcherys, and LJ Smiths. All of those guys may do better than where they were drafted, but on their own they are not going to net you a lot of wins. You may have a competitive team, but without some home run hitters your team will still be vulnerable.One of my problems in recent years has been doing too good a job drafting and ending up with too many good options to play from week to week (in leagues where I need to submit a lineup). There was a league I was in last year where I had multiple Top 10 QB, RB, WRs, and TEs--my roster was stocked with talent. And I missed the playoffs because whomever I started didn't do very well that particular week. If you added up total potential scoring I was a clear number one, but that didn't translate to wins. So what is the solution . . . draft more players that suxor?
Unless you're in a no-trade league, the solution to that problem is ALWAYS two-for-one player swaps. Trade two tier-2 guys for one tier-1 guy. These are great trades because they are almost always mutually beneficial (which will foster positive trading relationship for the future- win/win trades benefit your team more than win/lose trades because in both trades you win, but only the first kind of trade makes people want to continue trading with you in the future). Anyway, dealing depth for starters especially makes a lot of sense as the playoffs approach, when injury risks decrease (simply because there are fewer games left- a player is more likely to get hurt with 10 games remaining than he is with 5 games remaining) and when trade bait reaches its peak value.Also, for the record, I believe the proper spelling of the word is "suxxor", or possibly "suxx0r" if you're 13. In addition, the correct form to pair with singular nouns is "suxxorz", not "suxxors" as some people seem to believe.
Too much risk at RB and WR...regardless of what VBD says.
Hmmm... I never really thought of it that way before. Thanks LHUCKS, you've totally changed my outlook on this manner!

Its entirely dependent on how the TE scores. In certain years, the gap to the top 1 or 2 TEs is significant enough to justify the high draft spot. In other years, not so much. Its a risky move, but selecting the 20th RB always has a fair amount of risk as well.Frankly, you need to take each year and each draft as they come. Any hard and fast rules only lead to you missing out on opportunities.
:loco: The fantasy game evolves. In 04 gates came out of no where. In 05 those who took Gates in the 3rd , in ppr (te mandatory) he got almost 60 more fantasy points than the next best TE. Even in 06 he was still "the best te" just the point diff between 1 and 2 were not far off. Regardless though the track record has shown as of now Gates is in a league of his own for consistency, young age, and production. Everyone knows the chargers WR1 is Gates and the only other guy you can really say that about in Tony G who is past his prime and is far less of a sure thing year in and year out at THIS point. The rest or the TE bunch even elites (Shockey Heap Winslow Crumpler) all have questions.

I didnt re-read all 5 pages but taking a TE early is flawed unless they get 2ppr and everyone else get 1ppr.

Dont be the guy that grabs witten early this year. He was the value play LAST year.

Be the guy that takes the value play late at TE THIS YEAR, like LJ Smith or Scheffler for example

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt re-read all 5 pages but taking a TE early is flawed unless they get 2ppr and everyone else get 1ppr. Dont be the guy that grabs witten early this year. He was the value play last year. Be the guy that takes the value play late at TE THIS YEAR, like LJ Smith or Scheffler for example
Totally agree - My recent Zealot Inaugural draft I waited until the 13th round to grab a TE - Scheffler. 31st round, took Pope, EJ in round 41 and Scaife in 45. Redraft, Keeper, Auction - totally different but I still agree that unless TEs get a lot more ppr, its not worth it to reach.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I didnt re-read all 5 pages but taking a TE early is flawed unless they get 2ppr and everyone else get 1ppr. Dont be the guy that grabs witten early this year. He was the value play LAST year. Be the guy that takes the value play late at TE THIS YEAR, like LJ Smith or Scheffler for example
I'm going to ask what LJ Smith has ever done to even think that he is on par with Witten. His best scoring season in 0 PPR leagues was 91 points. Witten scored 157 last year. I'm not as keen on Sheffler as others, but he at least has potential while we already know what to expect from Smith. The other think with Smith is that both he and McNabb need to be healthy for him to be productive, and that hasn't happen much in recent years. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not a difference maker at the fantasy TE spot.And I don't totally agree with the part about Witten being overvalued this year. I recently took him in a draft in the 5th round. I understand that last year was last year, but his scoring total (157 points) was 30-40 points higher than the WRs left on the board (over 20 WRs were already taken). IMO, at that point it was a great value to take Witten (Gates went in the 3rd and Winslow in the 4th).

I didnt re-read all 5 pages but taking a TE early is flawed unless they get 2ppr and everyone else get 1ppr. Dont be the guy that grabs witten early this year. He was the value play LAST year. Be the guy that takes the value play late at TE THIS YEAR, like LJ Smith or Scheffler for example
I'm going to ask what LJ Smith has ever done to even think that he is on par with Witten. His best scoring season in 0 PPR leagues was 91 points. Witten scored 157 last year. I'm not as keen on Sheffler as others, but he at least has potential while we already know what to expect from Smith. The other think with Smith is that both he and McNabb need to be healthy for him to be productive, and that hasn't happen much in recent years. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not a difference maker at the fantasy TE spot.And I don't totally agree with the part about Witten being overvalued this year. I recently took him in a draft in the 5th round. I understand that last year was last year, but his scoring total (157 points) was 30-40 points higher than the WRs left on the board (over 20 WRs were already taken). IMO, at that point it was a great value to take Witten (Gates went in the 3rd and Winslow in the 4th).
I agree with ya Dave I was just pointing out that witten was going at what TE7 - TE 9 last year and provided tremedous value.I was just pointing out two people to target. I wouldnt expect Witten like numbers out of either of those players this coming season. I also expect Witten's number to regress some this season. 5th round seems reasonable for Witten to me. 3rd round does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Witten in the 5th, as the 3rd TE taken is good value. IMO, TE is similar to QB. In most formats, there's no reason to take one as high as they're likely to be drafted. I wonder if TEBC has merit?

Theres not that much discrepancies between Witten and other tight ends. Witten might give you a touchdown and some yards every now and again but he's prone to have average numbers that Heath Miller produces. To me, every round you should draft someone that you need and most of all the player that can give you most points. If there is a receiver or running back that can produce more than Witten, go ahead and take them. I just think you can wait till the 8th-10th round to grab a tight end. IMO, there almost similar to Defense/Special teams since in most leagues you can only start one.

I wonder if TEBC has merit?
While anything is possible, I am not sure that TE scoring is something that is easily projectible. I suppose there are stats for everything these days, and some teams may be predisposed to giving up more points to TEs. All I know is that whenever I have had to go to anything by committee, I seem to play the guy that doesn't do much that week and the guy I left on the bench would blow up. Where I did do well in a committee approach was lucking out in that one of them took it to another level and emerged as an every week starter. BUt having to pick a guy each week can be pretty hit or miss.

Theres not that much discrepancies between Witten and other tight ends. Witten might give you a touchdown and some yards every now and again but he's prone to have average numbers that Heath Miller produces. To me, every round you should draft someone that you need and most of all the player that can give you most points. If there is a receiver or running back that can produce more than Witten, go ahead and take them. I just think you can wait till the 8th-10th round to grab a tight end. IMO, there almost similar to Defense/Special teams since in most leagues you can only start one.
Over the past 4 years Witten has averaged 7.6 ppg vs 5.2 for Miller (3 years for Miller). Last year the difference was even greater (9.8 vs 6.1 ppg). If you don't think a 50% difference doesn't matter at TE, then so be it. If you could parlay an advantage somewhere else to offset that 3-4 point difference, then that would work out I suppose, but I'm not sure there is an easy way to calculate what benefits were available in "making up the difference" between TE in the 5th (Witten) vs TE in the 9th (where Miller is getting drafted).

The problem is that, while there are several other TEs that can perform on the Gates/Witten level... you don't know which ones they are.Let's say that I know that 5 TEs are going to be difference makers this season (seems a bit high, but just for pretend). I could take Gates/Witten/Winslow and get a guy who is 90+% sure to be one of them, or I could grab a Scheffler-type and get a guy who is 25-33% sure to be one of them. Gates isn't worth a high draft pick just because he's so much better than his peers (although in four seasons he has NEVER finished with a VBD below 18th overall across all positions), he's worth such a high draft pick because, outside of Peyton Manning, there's no surer thing in all of fantasy football.To reflect on this thread with a year's worth of hindsight... in hindsight, I think a lot of people are going to say that Witten's success shows that Gates wasn't worth his high cost last season, but I disagree. Gates finished 17th overall in VBD, which means you could have picked him at 2.05 and he would have still justified the selection purely from a point differential standpoint. Sure, you could have wound up with Witten later in the draft... but you just as easily could have wound up with Vernon Davis, Chris Cooley, Ben Watson, or Alge Crumpler (the 4 TEs Dodds had projected immediately before and immediately after Witten). If you wait until late to try to grab the next Jason Witten, you're far more likely to wind up with the next Alge Crumpler, instead. Grab Gates early, instead- his production on the field will more than justify a 3rd round draft pick, and he's got virtually no risk of busting.

Since I started this thread last year, and also have a year of hindsight to look into this now, I would say that I am right, but with a Caveat. The guy at the top of the list is pretty much a no brainer in terms of picking for VBD value(and solid decision if you have no idea who else may have a good year at the TE position), however, at a position where there is only one starter, and the ability to find a diamond in the rough, it is a very similar corrallary to taking a QB early. The only difference is that you have a larger pool of "average" QBs to draw from, so the "bust" rate on taking a TE later is a little higher.

Last year I did not take gates. I targeted the second tier which to me was Winslow, Witten, and then Dallas Clark as my next step down. I got pretty lucky in identifying the right guys, and I will stand by my sentiment that getting the #2 guy 2 rounds later is a better VBD argument, because I can get a better player at 3 for another spot without losing too much fantasy value.

It would no be wrong this year to take a RB early, then get manning at 2.09 and Gates at 3.05, but you are going to spend the rest of your draft getting RBs and WRs to fill the void there.

Gator

PS. I think that SSOGs point is valid if you look from a static VBD perspective. From a dynamic perspective (and assuming you will take no less than TE #5 or 6) I think my argument works better.

Users who are viewing this thread