What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your (dynasty) league allow for the "renting" of players? (1 Viewer)

I am, that's why if someone rented me Hyde, why couldn't I trade him to someone else for more the next week? Or keep him?

Will there be a 'no fair, he promised!!' section of the rule book?
I would assume there would be a rule where it is a one week rental and you can't rerent a player you are renting. 

:lmao:

yes, lets figure out a way that an owner can give up nothing and gain a 3rd round rookie pick.

The owner can trade a player to another team but technically still hold the rights to that player thru an "agreement".
oh, and by most fantasy players definition .... "agreement" = collusion

yes, lets figure out a way that an owner can give up nothing and gain a 3rd round rookie pick.

The owner can trade a player to another team but technically still hold the rights to that player thru an "agreement".
As opposed the guy who cries foul because you might face the same guy 3 weeks in a row. 

Except that can already happen!!!

:wall:

While I semi agree with what you are saying, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be "fair".  Nothing would have stopped the other owner from offering me a 3rd for Hyde for the week as well and me taking them up on it.  This isn't, or rather wasn't, a case of me doing something for one team that I wouldn't do for another - though I can totally see how those situations could arise. 
Then do it.  Give him Hyde and take his 3rd pick.  He just can't give Hyde back to you.  That's the part that's collusive.

As opposed the guy who cries foul because you might face the same guy 3 weeks in a row. 

Except that can already happen!!!

:wall:
As I've already said, you do whatever you're comfortable with.  Just realize you're trying to rationalize some lite collusion.  "Just the tip" as it were.

Well sure it's roster sharing.  But it ain't for free.  I'm getting paid (a third) in the deal.  I agree that if the deal were Hyde last night for a first, and then we trade the first back for Hyde - that would be wrong.  But this ain't that (and I'm not saying this is right, but it did get me thinking - and others in the league).  For whatever it's worth it's a 10 team league with most of the league having been in it for a decade or more now. 

I'd be giving up something (a better chance to win this week in my own game) and gaining something (a pick).  He'd be giving up something (a pick), and gaining something (a better chance to win his own game).  Now nothing should have stopped us from him trading me a pair of future 1st round picks for Hyde and that being the end of it - I think we could all agree to that.  But he wasn't willing to do that, so the idea of just a short rental came up. 
So what if the deal is: "I'll let you use Hyde this week if you let me use your #2 QB and #1 TE the week after that when my guys are on bye. Then you can use one of my WRs the week after that when you're shorthanded there." You can make the same argument that each team is giving up something by decreasing their chances to win at some point, but it's clearly roster-sharing which shouldn't be tolerated.  

God help you if I paid $100+ to be in this league. I'd quit so fast you'd feel your pecker flap in a breeze. And how would I get my money back? I'm sure you bow-leggers wouldn't agree to refunds seeing as you're too busy scheming on how to a$$-#### one another out of money. No, I reckon I'd have to resort to petty revenge. Piss in your tail pipe? Maybe. But pissing in your wife's tail pipe would be better...

Last edited by a moderator:
God help you if I paid $100+ to be in this league. I'd quit so fast you'd feel your #### flap in a breeze. And how would I get my money back? I'm sure you bow-leggers wouldn't agree to refunds seeing as you're to busy scheming on how to #### one another out of money. No, I reckon I'd have to resort to petty revenge. Piss in your tail pipe? Maybe. But pissing in your wife's tail pipe would be better...

I wouldn't be giving up nothing - I'd be giving up Hyde's 21 points from last night.  That could end up costing me my game. 

I understand how most of you feel about this, I just want to be sure it's being illustrated and understood properly. 

It's no different. You're allowing the rental on the front-end rather than the back-end. In fact, it's sleazier because you can easily keep it from your league. No one has to know you two decided on the trade a week before you enacted it. But if you were to give back a player after renting him, everyone in the league knows what you did. 

Also, another point of discussion should be why you all are trading picks during the season. 

This is another can of worms that should be avoided in every league. You should only trade picks before/during the draft. During the season, the trading of picks allows losing teams to trade good players to winning teams to stock up on picks for next year and allow winning teams with a shot at the playoffs to stack good players for this year. 

It's an unfair advantage that has no place in fantasy football. 

Don't allow the rental of players and don't allow the trading of picks during the season. 

You'll be better off for it. 
Have you never played in a dynasty league?

If I were in a league that started allowing this I would trade a 3rd round pick to "rent" OBJ and then refuse to trade him back the following week just to show the rest of the league how dumb it is.

If I were in a league that started allowing this I would trade a 3rd round pick to "rent" OBJ and then refuse to trade him back the following week just to show the rest of the league how dumb it is.
Had we done it last night, I likely would have given Hyde for a 1st and third - then the move back would have been Hyde for the first (in an attempt to prevent that). 

HairySasquatch said:
This is collusion...it is essentially doubling your roster size.  Should never be allowed. 

Amused to Death said:
Its roster sharing and a form of collusion.  You're allowing teams to gang up on an opponent.  Should be strictly forbidden.

You do whatever makes you feel comfortable.  The question was asked, I answered.  Its textbook collusion.  "Hey, help me beat this guy and I'll give you your player back next week" is not a trade.
No, it isn't.  At least not if it's allowed and known.

secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially between ostensible opponents in a lawsuit.

But it should be against the rules and I wouldn't play in a league which allowed it.  

Have you never played in a dynasty league?
Yes and it's worked best for us to not allow this. Trade your picks before the draft, then live with what you end up with and trade players normally. I hate watching the top 4 teams in the league completely dismantling their roster to load up for the playoffs. Then of what importance was the draft?

I wouldn't be giving up nothing - I'd be giving up Hyde's 21 points from last night.  That could end up costing me my game. 

I understand how most of you feel about this, I just want to be sure it's being illustrated and understood properly. 
You gave up nothing ... since you planned on leaving him on your bench this week.

You gave up nothing ... since you planned on leaving him on your bench this week.
No I didn't.  I started him over Fournette - says so in the OP.  My game's score is currently 21-0 because of it.

It's no different. You're allowing the rental on the front-end rather than the back-end. In fact, it's sleazier because you can easily keep it from your league. No one has to know you two decided on the trade a week before you enacted it. But if you were to give back a player after renting him, everyone in the league knows what you did. 

Also, another point of discussion should be why you all are trading picks during the season. 

This is another can of worms that should be avoided in every league. You should only trade picks before/during the draft. During the season, the trading of picks allows losing teams to trade good players to winning teams to stock up on picks for next year and allow winning teams with a shot at the playoffs to stack good players for this year. 

It's an unfair advantage that has no place in fantasy football. 

Don't allow the rental of players yes and don't allow the trading of picks during the season. Hell no

You'll be better off for it. 
If your league mates want to disallow trading if picks during the year have at it. But these trades are the best way for bad teams to improve.

Totally agree on roster sharing being bad for a league.

Yes and it's worked best for us to not allow this. Trade your picks before the draft, then live with what you end up with and trade players normally. I hate watching the top 4 teams in the league completely dismantling their roster to load up for the playoffs. Then of what importance was the draft?
In a dynasty league? Usually for teams to build for the future. It's almost like you're talking about redraft.

If your league mates want to disallow trading if picks during the year have at it. But these trades are the best way for bad teams to improve.

Totally agree on roster sharing being bad for a league.
It just ensures a misbalance to the league year-in and year-out. 

"Let me move all my draft picks next year so I can win this year" and "Lemme tank this year to stock up draft picks for next year" are horrible mentalities for any league. 

Draft the players you think give you the best chance to win then trade players if you wanna improve. But tanking should never be allowed. 

:lmao:  all trades are collusion then. 

When I said "agreement" = collusion .... I took my own words out of context...

An "agreement" between two owners, outside of the assets being exchanged = collusion. 

In fact, that would be the definition of fantasy sports collusion.

I again question if you are in the same dynasty leagues we're talking about here.  "The draft" shouldn't be the majority of the equation.  Success should be based on 4  equally important things - trades, waivers, contracts/free agency, draft.  Trading of draft picks is what drives dynasty leagues.  Those with bad teams need to be able to trade off aging/decaying assets to get younger/more diverse in an attempt to get better.

I again question if you are in the same dynasty leagues we're talking about here.  "The draft" shouldn't be the majority of the equation.  Success should be based on 4  equally important things - trades, waivers, contracts/free agency, draft.  Trading of draft picks is what drives dynasty leagues.  Those with bad teams need to be able to trade off aging/decaying assets to get younger/more diverse in an attempt to get better.
I quit that league long ago so it's possible I'm not remembering the details as well as I once did. 

Terrible idea IMO.  Would be totally unfair (cliques swapping players and picks back and forth) and it also has no roots in anything the NFL does.

It just ensures a misbalance to the league year-in and year-out. 

"Let me move all my draft picks next year so I can win this year" and "Lemme tank this year to stock up draft picks for next year" are horrible mentalities for any league. 

Draft the players you think give you the best chance to win then trade players if you wanna improve. But tanking should never be allowed. 
A dynasty league is going to be imbalanced. That's part of the fun - prioritizing this year vs the future, whether you like hording picks or like veteran players, etc. The biggest challenge is to stay competitive over time. Allowing trading of picks during the year allows teams to make up for injuries, address weakness, rebuild better, etc.

I quit that league long ago so it's possible I'm not remembering the details as well as I once did. 
What you are talking about makes a lot more sense the fewer players that are kept or if there are limits to how long they can be kept.  But in a full-on dynasty league it's very rare you can count on a rookie-only draft to significantly change a team's competitive fortunes quickly.

Well sure it's roster sharing.  But it ain't for free.  I'm getting paid (a third) in the deal.  I agree that if the deal were Hyde last night for a first, and then we trade the first back for Hyde - that would be wrong.  But this ain't that (and I'm not saying this is right, but it did get me thinking - and others in the league).  For whatever it's worth it's a 10 team league with most of the league having been in it for a decade or more now. 

I'd be giving up something (a better chance to win this week in my own game) and gaining something (a pick).  He'd be giving up something (a pick), and gaining something (a better chance to win his own game).  Now nothing should have stopped us from him trading me a pair of future 1st round picks for Hyde and that being the end of it - I think we could all agree to that.  But he wasn't willing to do that, so the idea of just a short rental came up. 

Had we done it last night, I likely would have given Hyde for a 1st and third - then the move back would have been Hyde for the first (in an attempt to prevent that). 
Yeah.

No, tradebacks or "rentals" are considered collusion in my leagues.

Back when I was in 5 leagues, all 5 had rules about both of these types of transactions. 

In theory, you could collude with another owner to beat another opponent at an opportune time at little cost. Example: I need team C to lose this week, so I loan you a player to help you beat him. 

That's textbook cheating. 

So whether it's done with innocent intentions or not, it's collusion. Make a fair trade with someone or don't, but there shouldn't be tradebacks of any kind. 

One man's opinion. 

I hate when people don't run their teams the way I think they should too!

Yeah, what?  In the first example it's just Hyde and a first, back and fourth.  In what I would have likely done last night, there would have been a 3rd rounder that I would have kept.  He wasn't going to get to start Hyde this week for "free".

Why would you even consider allowing this?  It is just ripe for teams to form alliances and try to prevent team x from winning.  

May have forgotten how the draft differs over all these years but you've still got a thing or two to learn about collusion.
Uh, what are you talking about?

Good teams trading future picks to load up for the playoffs is collusion?

Is that your premise?

Uh, what are you talking about?

Good teams trading future picks to load up for the playoffs is collusion?

Is that your premise?
No. Any team, regardless of their record, agreeing to trade players but waiting a week to actually do so is definable collusion. 

Yeah, what?  In the first example it's just Hyde and a first, back and fourth.  In what I would have likely done last night, there would have been a 3rd rounder that I would have kept.  He wasn't going to get to start Hyde this week for "free".
After the trade, do you agree that you would still have rights to Hyde in this arrangement?

... since the other owner has "agreed" to give him back, that owner can not trade him.  

How can you logically argue that this isn't player sharing?

-------------

Here is what my commissioner has written in our rules as far as trading:

(G) TRADES MAY BE MADE ONLY FOR PLAYERS AND DRAFT PICKS. TRADES FOR CASH, FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS, FOR PLAYERS TO BE NAMED LATER, WITH RESERVATIONS, OR FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

---------------

He's actually listed Future Considerations twice ... which is what a trade back would be.

A trade should be for assets of somewhat equal value without any future contingencies. Anything other than that would not fly in our league.

After the trade, do you agree that you would still have rights to Hyde in this arrangement?

... since the other owner has "agreed" to give him back, that owner can not trade him.  

How can you logically argue that this isn't player sharing?

-------------

Here is what my commissioner has written in our rules as far as trading:

(G) TRADES MAY BE MADE ONLY FOR PLAYERS AND DRAFT PICKS. TRADES FOR CASH, FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS, FOR PLAYERS TO BE NAMED LATER, WITH RESERVATIONS, OR FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

---------------

He's actually listed Future Considerations twice ... which is what a trade back would be.

A trade should be for assets of somewhat equal value without any future contingencies. Anything other than that would not fly in our league.
To each their own, but does your league allow conditional picks? ie "I trade you Eric Decker for a 2nd round pick, which becomes your 1st if he scores 200 points in 2017"?  Ours allows it, even though it isn't often done (I might have been the last, when the contingent pick ended up being Ronnie Brown)

20 years running dynasty league.

...and heck no.  Player renting is textbook collusion, and it is expressly forbidden in our written rules.

My last thoughts on this are if this is the route you want to go, you better have 10 pages of "what if" in your constitution, and hire a full time commissioner to interpret and rule.  Or go the "everything and anything goes" route and have a long list of potential new owners on speed dial to replace the ones that leave or get whacked.

To each their own, but does your league allow conditional picks? ie "I trade you Eric Decker for a 2nd round pick, which becomes your 1st if he scores 200 points in 2017"?  Ours allows it, even though it isn't often done (I might have been the last, when the contingent pick ended up being Ronnie Brown)
absolutely not. What recourse do you have when that owner trades his 1st rd pick before Decker scores 200 points? "Whoops, my bad. I didn't think he was gonna get there."

... or is that owners 1st round pick (and the 2nd rd pick) "frozen" until the end of the season?

I don't see how this adds much to the league and I'd be content not to go down that road myself.

absolutely not. What recourse do you have when that owner trades his 1st rd pick before Decker scores 200 points? "Whoops, my bad. I didn't think he was gonna get there."

... or is that owners 1st round pick (and the 2nd rd pick) "frozen" until the end of the season?

I don't see how this adds much to the league and I'd be content not to go down that road myself.
15 year dynasty.  We also did away with all conditional picks.  All trades must be executed and final in one transaction.

Regarding the OP's question;

My league does not allow this type of transaction. We have a specific rule addressing it.

The picks are frozen. Most people don't want to freeze two picks, so the trades are rare but they're not prohibited.

My last thoughts on this are if this is the route you want to go, you better have 10 pages of "what if" in your constitution, and hire a full time commissioner to interpret and rule.  Or go the "everything and anything goes" route and have a long list of potential new owners on speed dial to replace the ones that leave or get whacked.
I've never run a league - and I've run many, of every imaginable format - whose bylaws ran longer than one 8x11 page.

The last bylaw always reads something like: "Don't violate the spirit of the rules or the integrity of the league. If you even have to ask whether your idea might run afoul of this rule, it does."

I've also never, not once, lost an owner over rules disputes.

Ten pages of rules is an invitation to look for loopholes (like the OPs, IMO). Short, sweet, and reasonable is better.

msudaisy26 said:
It is an interesting concept and would make 3rd and 4th round picks have more value. If I was in a league like this I would want a rule where it can't be a starter from the other team. So if you have Rodgers and Wentz at qb and the guy is starting Rodgers you could loan out Wentz. 
Not interesting at all...  It's a sleazy way to play the game and shouldn't be allowed.

Our policy:

Trades are final as executed.  Any "conditional" trades are between the two owners to resolve.  The League will take no official stance, ruling, or action to resolve any dispute that may arise.

In other words, caveat emptor.  You better trust your trade partner, and both of you better track what's at risk.  If your dude trades the 1st away it's between you two to determine fair compensation.  We've had dozens of conditional trades over the years and only had one minor snafu like this - and it was quickly solved with a few FAAB $ to cover the loss.  Solid membership with little turnover and a lot of long-time owners.  It's just like anything else involving trust, they start slow and build up from there.

Also, we require conditions to be pretty specifically defined.  No "If Decker goes over 200 points owner A will give some extra cash TBD based on actual scoring".  Too much potential for drama and too much opportunity for reciprocity/bro deals/collusion.

Not interesting at all...  It's a sleazy way to play the game and shouldn't be allowed.
Come on, different strokes for different folks. If everyone in that league is cool with it let them be. Seriously, did you just say a sleazy way to gamble on football games we have no control over?

Users who are viewing this thread