What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dog Owners - Safety Issue - Collars (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
Got really lucky this morning. I've got 3 dogs, and I'm puppy (9 month old german shepard mix rescue) sitting for my son.

I probably should have know better, as the puppy has already ripped off 2 of the dogs bandanas, but I never thought this could happen.

3 of the dogs were out playing in the yard. I hear them barking and chasing each other. Then it got quiet, and in 5/10 seconds I heard very bad whinning / crying / yelping (like pain).

I run outside and see that my son's dog is on the ground on his back but it looks like he's biting one of my dog's neck who is laying beside him crying.......................

The puppies tooth was caught in my dog's collar and it was being twisted like a turnaquet around my dogs neck. Both dogs were crying and yelping. I was able to quickly able to get the collar unhooked, and both seem to be fine, but if I had not been home, not sure what would have happened.

I guess the bottom line is if the dogs are in the yard (and they are not a risk to escape) they don't need their collars on.

Anyone else have this happen?

Yes, it's not uncommon. You can get a breakaway collar or as you mentioned leave them off. Our dogs only get collars when they're going for a walk.

Freak accident. In the end it would have worked itself out had you not been there.

If I were to argue and since this is the FFA, I’d say collars on when outside in case they escape. Should prolly check on them from time to time anyway.

No collars inside.

Freak accident. In the end it would have worked itself out had you not been there.

If I were to argue and since this is the FFA, I’d say collars on when outside in case they escape. Should prolly check on them from time to time anyway.

No collars inside.
If by work itself out you mean choke to death, sure.

Glad your dog is ok.

Get em harnesses.

The solution can't be to not wear collars as people will assume they're strays when they get out. Also depending where ya live, tags are often mandatory. They make some with glow in the dark tape on them. I think it looks kind of fun at night as they run around and I figure cars will see them if they get out at night

No collars inside.

Sorry man, I didn’t mean it like that. I’m an animal guy. Can’t bare to see them hurt. I meant that I’m sure they would have wrestled it lose.

Glad to hear they’re ok.

No collars inside.

Sorry man, I didn’t mean it like that. I’m an animal guy. Can’t bare to see them hurt. I meant that I’m sure they would have wrestled it lose.

Glad to hear they’re ok.
Gotcha. I've been in that situation and there was no way they'd break loose. The collar gets stuck on the k9 and then it's rolling like a gator. It can get ugly. Mine actually panicked and not only did I have to try to wrangle them to break it loose but I had to stick my hands in to biting jaws. Just glad I was there. Lots of examples of way worse outcomes.

Glad your dog is ok.

Get em harnesses.

The solution can't be to not wear collars as people will assume they're strays when they get out. Also depending where ya live, tags are often mandatory. They make some with glow in the dark tape on them. I think it looks kind of fun at night as they run around and I figure cars will see them if they get out at night
Microchip solves the "stray" concern if they get out.

Glad your dog is ok.

Get em harnesses.

Strays are often shot in some states I've lived in, others not. I guess it depends

Glad your dog is ok.

Get em harnesses.

Strays are often shot in some states I've lived in, others not. I guess it depends
If "strays" are shot due to no collar while having a microchip then those states/people are just a little ****ty. Collars can be removed, a little harder to remove an embedded chip. Scanners are cheap and only takes a few seconds. I'd guess those areas that would shoot a dog don't really care either way.

That said, if your dog has a chip make sure to keep the info current if you move.

Glad your dog is ok.

Get em harnesses.

If "strays" are shot due to no collar while having a microchip then those states/people are just a little ****ty. Collars can be removed, a little harder to remove an embedded chip. Scanners are cheap and only takes a few seconds. I'd guess those areas that would shoot a dog don't really care either way.

That said, if your dog has a chip make sure to keep the info current if you move.
In rural areas, people have chickens as pets. Dogs and cats are "pre-programmed" to attack them and....it becomes a common debate that never ever gets resolved.

Got really lucky this morning. I've got 3 dogs, and I'm puppy (9 month old german shepard mix rescue) sitting for my son.

I probably should have know better, as the puppy has already ripped off 2 of the dogs bandanas, but I never thought this could happen.

3 of the dogs were out playing in the yard. I hear them barking and chasing each other. Then it got quiet, and in 5/10 seconds I heard very bad whinning / crying / yelping (like pain).

I run outside and see that my son's dog is on the ground on his back but it looks like he's biting one of my dog's neck who is laying beside him crying.......................

The puppies tooth was caught in my dog's collar and it was being twisted like a turnaquet around my dogs neck. Both dogs were crying and yelping. I was able to quickly able to get the collar unhooked, and both seem to be fine, but if I had not been home, not sure what would have happened.

I guess the bottom line is if the dogs are in the yard (and they are not a risk to escape) they don't need their collars on.

Anyone else have this happen?
I thought it was really cool and really smart to buy leather belts at the thrift store cheap to cut down and make dog collars out of. Until this exact same thing happened. They've never worn a collar since.
Not a chance. Picture a leather belt in the bottom of a dog's mouth restrained by the lower k9s, then the dog is flipped over (from wrestling with each other) and the lower jaw of one dog and the neck of the other are cinched tight and it only gets worse when they struggle. Somehow my 130lb wife was able to get one of the 80 pound dogs flipped over the right direction before one of them choked to death.

Screw collars, nothing around the neck. When we're out and about it's harnesses.

Users who are viewing this thread