What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dom Capers (1 Viewer)

Why is this guy not being talked about in regards to HC opportunities in the NFL?

The job he has done in GB is remarkable in 2 years.

He has made no-name/undrafted or late drafted players into solid contributors: Johnny Jolly, Brad Jones, Frank Zombo, Desmond Bishop, Sam Shields, Charlie Peprah.

Developed Tramon Williams into a better cover CB than Charles Woodson.

Fielded one of the NFL's top D's despite the injuries on D.

2010 injuries on defense:

Johnny Jolly - suspended

Justin Harrell

Morgan Burnett

Nick Barnett

Will Blackmon

Brady Poppinga

Mike Neal

Atari Bigby

Cullen Jenkins

Brandon Chillar

Brad Jones

Without the coaching of Dom Capers the Packers wouldn't be even close to the playoffs this year. I think he needs a little attention for Assistant coach of the year and perhaps another shot at a HC job....he deserves that.

Because the myth that good assistant = good HC is silly. Some guys are just good assistants, no more, no less. Being a HC is a lot more than that. It's about leadership, motivation, game management, etc., none of which are something Capers has to worry about in his press box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid points...though, Jolly was already solid and Bishop has been chomping at the bit to get some playing time for a little while.

And I agree with the praise of Capers.

I think the concerns for him as a HC are his age and that in previous stints as HC, he has not done that well. (Granted, they were expansion teams).

He may just be a guy thats a great coordinator, but does not have the make up to be a HC (see Ray Rhodes).

And I hope he sticks around for a a while in GB too.

Because the myth that good assistant = good HC is silly. Some guys are just good assistants, no more, no less. Being a HC is a lot more than that. It's about leadership, motivation, game management, etc., none of which are something Capers has to worry about in his press box.
So by your myth look for great leaders that are bad assistants? Obviously i'm kidding, but he has proven himself to have another shot IMO.Yes being a HC is more about administrative functions. But a DC doesn't find leaders...motvate...perform game management??? They do.His stints as a HC were with expansion teams...which is difficult and includes more tasks than the regular NFL franchises. Let's not forget that he lead the Carolina Panthers to the NFC title game in only the second year of their existence. Bill Belichick was also very average his first 6 years in the NFL as well. He is also 58 currently...Capers is 60.

Capers could very well be the best defensive coordinator in the business. It is truly amazing the job he has done.

However, if you are an owner of a NFL franchise, try selling your fan base on this.

60 years old.

1 winning season in 8 years as a head coach.

78-144 overall record as a head coach.

5 last place finishes in 8 years.

I think Capers coaching fate going forward will be much the same as Monte Kiffin and Jim Johnson. Excellent coordinators that nobody wanted to give the big chair to.

I'll be honest: when I saw this I thought "who"? That old guy who has failed several times already as HC? As others have said: his past failures as a HC doesn't mean he couldn't well now with a good team, but, that is pretty weak praise. The Pack were expected to be a Superbowl team by many and by most accounts under performed. Was any of that his fault? I don't know but it is hard to see him being elevated based on his work as a DC in Green Bay either.

Capers could very well be the best defensive coordinator in the business. It is truly amazing the job he has done.

However, if you are an owner of a NFL franchise, try selling your fan base on this.

60 years old.

I think Capers coaching fate going forward will be much the same as Monte Kiffin and Jim Johnson. Excellent coordinators that nobody wanted to give the big chair to.
These don't add up to me. 48-80 is his record with 2 expansion teams as HC.You can also throw in **** Labeau with Kiffin and Johnson.

I just think that 60 isn't as old as it used to be....not with the ever changing NFL(some coaches last one year or 2).

**** Vermeil was a HC until he was 69.

I dunno....just a thought with all of these HC openings. I'd rather have Dom Capers over Wade Phillips.

I'll be honest: when I saw this I thought "who"? That old guy who has failed several times already as HC? As others have said: his past failures as a HC doesn't mean he couldn't well now with a good team, but, that is pretty weak praise. The Pack were expected to be a Superbowl team by many and by most accounts under performed. Was any of that his fault? I don't know but it is hard to see him being elevated based on his work as a DC in Green Bay either.
Underperformed? Certainly in terms of winning their Divsion, no one would dispute that.But look at the accomplishments of this team, they are in the Playoffs despite:1. having multiple starters (at least 5 on defense) and a total of 15 on IR...2, they didnt play teams who started 3rd string QB's multiple times during the season.....(see Division winner)3. they have literally NO running game since Grant went down....Given all that, my retort would be that they have accomplished a lot, they are where they want to be, where anything can happen over the next 3 weeks....and so DC Capers has managed to produce the NFL's #2 ranked team in Pts Allowed,, etc with all the injuries etc that have been documented by posters here. That's quite an accomplishment- does it mean he should be a HC somewhere?His previous stint in Houston ended badly because, IMHO, he didnt have the right offensive coaches, and the draft results were not good

Capers could very well be the best defensive coordinator in the business. It is truly amazing the job he has done. However, if you are an owner of a NFL franchise, try selling your fan base on this.60 years old.1 winning season in 8 years as a head coach.78-144 overall record as a head coach. 5 last place finishes in 8 years.I think Capers coaching fate going forward will be much the same as Monte Kiffin and Jim Johnson. Excellent coordinators that nobody wanted to give the big chair to.
Bingo. And BTW, nobody wants to give the big chair to him because he's demonstrated that he is a terrible fit for the HC job. And a superb fit as DC. Someone stupid will probably give him the opportunity out of desperation though.

Underperformed? Certainly in terms of winning their Division, no one would dispute that.But look at the accomplishments of this team, they are in the Playoffs despite:1. having multiple starters (at least 5 on defense) and a total of 15 on IR...2, they didnt play teams who started 3rd string QB's multiple times during the season.....(see Division winner)3. they have literally NO running game since Grant went down....Given all that, my retort would be that they have accomplished a lot, they are where they want to be, where anything can happen over the next 3 weeks....and so DC Capers has managed to produce the NFL's #2 ranked team in Pts Allowed,, etc with all the injuries etc that have been documented by posters here. That's quite an accomplishment- does it mean he should be a HC somewhere?His previous stint in Houston ended badly because, IMHO, he didnt have the right offensive coaches, and the draft results were not good

The Packers are 2nd in the NFL in PPG Defensively. In the past 10 games...they have allowed 20 points or more in only 3 games.The Packers offense is 10th in PPG. In the past 10 games...they have scored 20 points or more in 6 games.

The offense underachieved this season, while the defense carried them. If that doesn't give Dom Capers another shot...then i'm not sure he gets another one.

60 years old.

These don't add up to me. 48-80 is his record with 2 expansion teams as HC.You can also throw in **** Labeau with Kiffin and Johnson.

I just think that 60 isn't as old as it used to be....not with the ever changing NFL(some coaches last one year or 2).

I dunno....just a thought with all of these HC openings. I'd rather have Dom Capers over Wade Phillips.
Fortunately for most NFL teams, these aren't the only 2 choices on earth.It's time for people to stop perpetuating the fiction that a great coordinator will be a great coach. It's quite comparable to folks in business who think that, say, a great salesperson will be a great people manager. It's dumb, it makes zero sense.....but it's easy, so bad leaders make these types of promotions all the time. I've seen it across probably 25 companies in different industries. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Capers could very well be the best defensive coordinator in the business. It is truly amazing the job he has done. However, if you are an owner of a NFL franchise, try selling your fan base on this.60 years old.1 winning season in 8 years as a head coach.78-144 overall record as a head coach. 5 last place finishes in 8 years.I think Capers coaching fate going forward will be much the same as Monte Kiffin and Jim Johnson. Excellent coordinators that nobody wanted to give the big chair to.
Bingo. And BTW, nobody wants to give the big chair to him because he's demonstrated that he is a terrible fit for the HC job. And a superb fit as DC. Someone stupid will probably give him the opportunity out of desperation though.
Denver is talking to John Fox. I would rather have Dom Capers(who has shown success lately) over John Fox.

Denver is talking to John Fox. I would rather have Dom Capers(who has shown success lately) over John Fox.
Again, those aren't the only 2 choices on earth. It's a false dilemma.

His record is mitigated by the fact that he coached two different expansion teams in their inaugural and sophomore seasons.

60 years old.

Fortunately for most NFL teams, these aren't the only 2 choices on earth.It's time for people to stop perpetuating the fiction that a great coordinator will be a great coach. It's quite comparable to folks in business who think that, say, a great salesperson will be a great people manager. It's dumb, it makes zero sense.....but it's easy, so bad leaders make these types of promotions all the time. I've seen it across probably 25 companies in different industries. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Then how do you pick an NFL Head Coach? Life is trial and error. If NFL teams gave up on Bill Belichick...then the Patriots would've missed out on a dynasty.

Then how do you pick an NFL Head Coach? Life is trial and error. If NFL teams gave up on Bill Belichick...then the Patriots would've missed out on a dynasty.
Um, where did I say that it was easy? All I'm suggesting - which you haven't acknowledged - is that good assistant does not equal good head coach. The people making that decision have to be smart enough to evaluate each candidate individually.

Um, where did I say that it was easy? All I'm suggesting - which you haven't acknowledged - is that good assistant does not equal good head coach. The people making that decision have to be smart enough to evaluate each candidate individually.
Alex, not every good assistant coach is a good HC.But bad assistant coaches will never have a chance to be a HC. So i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.John Harbaugh was a great assistant coach for the Eagles and is a good NFL coach. If he was a poor assistant coach, he wouldn't have had the opportunity.

Alex, not every good assistant coach is a good HC.But bad assistant coaches will never have a chance to be a HC. So i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.John Harbaugh was a great assistant coach for the Eagles and is a good NFL coach. If he was a poor assistant coach, he wouldn't have had the opportunity.
Dom Capers has been given the opportunity - twice - to be a head coach. It didn't work out.Meanwhile, he's one of the best DC's in the game. Not sure why he, or anyone else, would want to make him a head coach now.

Dom Capers has been given the opportunity - twice - to be a head coach. It didn't work out.Meanwhile, he's one of the best DC's in the game. Not sure why he, or anyone else, would want to make him a head coach now.
Because he has done an amazing job in GB.

benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Um, as a DC. This is like trying to argue with my daughter about why she needs to wear a diaper.

Alex P Keaton said:
Alex P Keaton said:
Um, as a DC. This is like trying to argue with my daughter about why she needs to wear a diaper.
I would love to hear what you don't get Alex.Benson: Dom Capers has done a good job, he should get some consideration as to being a HC again.Alex: No he shouldn't, he is old and he failed twice as a HC already. Good assistant coaches don't make good HC's.Benson: I agree, not all of them do. But to have the opportunity you have to be a good assistant coach.Alex: I'm not getting my way in this entire conversation so I'm going to reference my daughter.

az_prof said:
His fault?For putting up a great defense while losing several linebackers, safeties, and linemen?

I would love to hear what you don't get Alex.Benson: Dom Capers has done a good job, he should get some consideration as to being a HC again.Alex: No he shouldn't, he is old and he failed twice as a HC already. Good assistant coaches don't make good HC's.Benson: I agree, not all of them do. But to have the opportunity you have to be a good assistant coach.Alex: I'm not getting my way in this entire conversation so I'm going to reference my daughter.
LOL. Solid. Here's what really happened:Benson: Dom Capers has done a good job, he should get some consideration as to being a HC again.Alex: No he shouldn't, he is old and he failed twice as a HC already. Not all good assistant coaches make good HC's. Benson: But Capers has been a good assistant coach, so he should have the opportunity to be a good assistant coach.Alex: :popcorn: Logic fail.

LOL. Solid. Here's what really happened:Benson: Dom Capers has done a good job, he should get some consideration as to being a HC again.Alex: No he shouldn't, he is old and he failed twice as a HC already. Not all good assistant coaches make good HC's. Benson: But Capers has been a good assistant coach, so he should have the opportunity to be a good assistant coach.Alex: :goodposting: Logic fail.
Exactly, the only point that YOU are failing to see...and why I had to pull myself into this thread to end some stupid bickering:Is that Dom Capers should have SOME consideration, not all or most just some. Not the #1 choice....or whatnot. He should have a little consideration. He has A chance to be HC. Do you see that case Alex? Or the other side of the coin?That is the point you fail to see.

az_prof said:
The Packers are 2nd in the NFL in PPG Defensively. In the past 10 games...they have allowed 20 points or more in only 3 games.The Packers offense is 10th in PPG. In the past 10 games...they have scored 20 points or more in 6 games.

The offense underachieved this season, while the defense carried them. If that doesn't give Dom Capers another shot...then i'm not sure he gets another one.
He won't. Fair or not, the new trend is to hire cheap younger assistants as first-time HC.

Exactly, the only point that YOU are failing to see...and why I had to pull myself into this thread to end some stupid bickering:Is that Dom Capers should have SOME consideration, not all or most just some. Not the #1 choice....or whatnot. He should have a little consideration. He has A chance to be HC. Do you see that case Alex? Or the other side of the coin?That is the point you fail to see.
I don't fail to see that point at all. Capers WILL be considered. And the fact that he's been a tremendous DC means that he SHOULD be considered. But much like Greg Williams, Wade Phillips, etc etc etc......great decision makers will realize that Capers is a great DC, but he's poorly equipped to be a great head coach. It's that simple.So should he have a little consideration? I guess this is just semantics to me. I would consider him briefly, look at the evidence, interview him....and almost certainly select someone else.HTH.

az_prof said:

Again, speaking for myself, I would rather take my shot with a young OC/DC who has never been a HC rather than a guy who has failed at it a couple of times already and is pushing 60. I just don't think a guy that old is likely to be able to put in the time and energy and have the passion to make sure his team is 110% ready each week. I can't think of too many successful HC who have won superbowls and who have a resume like Capers when they did it the first time.

Great gameplan by Caper yesterday.

Most thought the Packers would blitz at Vick often.

So Capers knew this....came at Vick first play. Then mostly had the DL keep Vick from running and applied just a little pressure. He had Woodson spy him....which helped stop not only Vick, but also the screen/dump off game to McCoy.

Great gameplan.

Users who are viewing this thread