What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Packers Offseason (1 Viewer)

CampTour'12: Morgan Burnett ascending

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- We've discussed the whys and the wherefores surrounding the shift of Charles Woodson's duties in the Green Bay Packers' defense. And already this summer, we've spent some time discussing the domino effect of Woodson's move to a safety/slot cornerback role, noting the Packers are rolling through a number of candidates for Woodson's old job on the outside.

We've been so distracted, however, that we might have missed what the Packers consider the biggest revelation in their secondary during training camp. Third-year safety Morgan Burnett has emerged as a cornerstone of the defense, one who could splash onto the national scene if his development continues at its current pace.

"I think he'll definitely be somebody that they'll be talking about throughout the league," coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday after Burnett had a particularly active practice. "I think he's ready for that type of season."

Cornerback Tramon Williams was more blunt: "I believe personally that he has a rare skill set, and I believe he'll be a Pro Bowler, a multiple Pro Bowler, one day. Might be this year. You never know. The guy has that type of skill set and that type of energy."

The Packers have had high hopes for Burnett since trading up and making him a third-round draft choice in 2010, but a torn ACL scuttled most of his rookie season, and he struggled at times in 2011 while playing with a broken thumb. Regardless, the release of veterans Nick Collins and Charlie Peprah has catapulted Burnett into a cornerstone role.

Tuesday's practice suggested Burnett could live up to that expectation. In the span of a few plays in one drill, Burnett:

[*]Tipped away a deep pass down the right sideline from quarterback Aaron Rodgers while defending receiver Jordy Nelson.

[*]Aggressively ran at tight end Jermichael Finley on a crossing route, making legal contact as the ball arrived and contributing to an incompletion.

[*]Intercepted a Rodgers pass after receiver Donald Driver fell.

At 6-foot-1 and 209 pounds, Burnett has the size to support the run and defend larger receivers or tight ends. The Packers also think he has exceptional ball skills for a safety, and have entrusted to him many of the defensive calls once made by Collins.

"I feel I'm still in a growing process," Burnett said. "I'm always trying to find ways to get better, and right now I still feel I've got room for improvement. Our communication is good, but I can still do better with it."

The Packers appropriately looked outside their incumbent roster to improve their pass defense during the offseason. But they also needed some internal development as well. We haven't yet seen the consistency required from Burnett to declare him the next big-time safety in the NFL, but Tuesday's practice gave us a glimpse of what is possible.

"I personally feel that Morgan has a rare skill set just like Collins had," Williams said before repeating his Pro Bowl prediction. "You can mark it down," Williams said, laughing. "Mark that down."

CampTour'12: Packers Day 2

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- I didn't forget ya. Yes, I realize the Green Bay Packers' practice ended about seven hours ago, but, well, a bunch of things happened in between. Without further ado, let's run through some Tuesday practice thoughts -- if I can remember back that far.

[*]Second-year cornerback Davon House took his turn with the starting defense, replacing Jarrett Bush as the outside cornerback in base and nickel on the heels of a strong practice Monday. The Packers have already rotated several players into that role, but House sure seemed to have received at least a temporary promotion. Coach Mike McCarthy spoke after practice about the importance of "stacking success" for young players and ensuring that they maintained confidence gained from a good play or practice.

[*]Many of you have asked about the arm of backup quarterback Graham Harrell. Sometimes on-site judgments on him can be unfair because it usually comes after seeing Aaron Rodgers rifle a pass, but Harrell's arm doesn't appear to be an impediment to running the Packers offense. Tuesday, I watched him throw an accurate pass that went about 45 yards downfield but also from one hashmark to the far sideline. That's NFL-caliber.

[*]Receiver Randall Cobb put a nifty double move on cornerback Otis Merrill and hauled in a deep pass down the right sideline from Rodgers in 1-on-1 drills. Everything I've seen from Cobb suggests he's ready to take the next step in the Packers' offense.

[*]Defensive end Jarius Wynn came out of nowhere to intercept a Rodgers screen pass and return it for a touchdown. Wynn has been pretty quiet in a camp that has featured a number of possible replacements for his job.

[*]Receiver Donald Driver had a nice practice, beating House and Bush for touchdowns during team drills to wild applause from the crowd. Afterwards, Driver said he is going to enjoy "proving the critics wrong" this season.

[*]On the last play of practice, receiver Tori Gurley made a jumping catch in the corner of the end zone over cornerback Sam Shields.

[*]Today's interesting fundamental drill at Packers camp: Offensive linemen practiced diving for loose balls, which a coach tossed onto a padded mat with blocking dummies scattered about to create the sense of players standing at the line of scrimmage.

[*]Earlier Tuesday, I posted some thoughts on safety Morgan Burnett, whom the Packers think is a rising star.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- I didn't forget ya. Yes, I realize the Green Bay Packers' practice ended about seven hours ago, but, well, a bunch of things happened in between. Without further ado, let's run through some Tuesday practice thoughts -- if I can remember back that far.

[*]Second-year cornerback Davon House took his turn with the starting defense, replacing Jarrett Bush as the outside cornerback in base and nickel on the heels of a strong practice Monday. The Packers have already rotated several players into that role, but House sure seemed to have received at least a temporary promotion. Coach Mike McCarthy spoke after practice about the importance of "stacking success" for young players and ensuring that they maintained confidence gained from a good play or practice.

[*]Many of you have asked about the arm of backup quarterback Graham Harrell. Sometimes on-site judgments on him can be unfair because it usually comes after seeing Aaron Rodgers rifle a pass, but Harrell's arm doesn't appear to be an impediment to running the Packers offense. Tuesday, I watched him throw an accurate pass that went about 45 yards downfield but also from one hashmark to the far sideline. That's NFL-caliber.

[*]Receiver Randall Cobb put a nifty double move on cornerback Otis Merrill and hauled in a deep pass down the right sideline from Rodgers in 1-on-1 drills. Everything I've seen from Cobb suggests he's ready to take the next step in the Packers' offense.

[*]Defensive end Jarius Wynn came out of nowhere to intercept a Rodgers screen pass and return it for a touchdown. Wynn has been pretty quiet in a camp that has featured a number of possible replacements for his job.

[*]Receiver Donald Driver had a nice practice, beating House and Bush for touchdowns during team drills to wild applause from the crowd. Afterwards, Driver said he is going to enjoy "proving the critics wrong" this season.

[*]On the last play of practice, receiver Tori Gurley made a jumping catch in the corner of the end zone over cornerback Sam Shields.

[*]Today's interesting fundamental drill at Packers camp: Offensive linemen practiced diving for loose balls, which a coach tossed onto a padded mat with blocking dummies scattered about to create the sense of players standing at the line of scrimmage.

[*]Earlier Tuesday, I posted some thoughts on safety Morgan Burnett, whom the Packers think is a rising star.
This is why the Cobb loveis getting out of hand. Driver had 3 TDs in practice. They really like Gurley's size in the redzone. Too many mouths to feed.I do like hearing a lot of positive things coming out of training camp though about the offensive line and the defense.

This is why the Cobb loveis getting out of hand. Driver had 3 TDs in practice. They really like Gurley's size in the redzone. Too many mouths to feed.I do like hearing a lot of positive things coming out of training camp though about the offensive line and the defense.
I agree some of it is out of hand...but the talent and versatility is there.They have had him working in the backfield in no huddle sets.

And I do think they want to get him the ball a lot.

Where he will suffer...is where you mentioned...he does not have the size of Gurley, Jones, Jennings, Finley...or the savvy of Nelson on the back shoulder fade/stop, or the veteran instincts of Driver.

I'd rather go 10-6 and make the NFC Championship game.
So one playoff win would have made it fantastic?15-1 and losing to the Giants...IMO > 10-6 and beating them but losing the next game.
I'm not surprised I disagree with you. Give me the NFC Champ game. It's closer to the ultimate goal. The closer the better. Good luck settling for less Vikings fan.

'beef said:
I'd rather go 10-6 and make the NFC Championship game.
So one playoff win would have made it fantastic?15-1 and losing to the Giants...IMO > 10-6 and beating them but losing the next game.
I'm not surprised I disagree with you. Give me the NFC Champ game. It's closer to the ultimate goal. The closer the better. Good luck settling for less Vikings fan.
I want the Super Bowl...so whether they lose in round 2 after going 15-1 or lose the next game after going 9-7...they still fell short of the real goal.Getting to an NFC title game does little for me as far as making it a better season.I enjoyed this 15-1 season quite a bit...even falling short. The end sucked.Just as I enjoyed the 2007 season when they made it to the title game. The end sucked in that one too.Nobody is saying be satisfied with not getting there...so you can take your "Vikings fan" dig and find a new place for it.

Both Jennings and Newhouse suffered concussions in Friday night's scrimmage. Their availability for the SD game is unknown.

Yeah...worst part of last night. Other than the LT play with Newhouse and Sherrod both out.Bishop had been tearing it up in camp since returning from the calf injury.And Smith was awful tackling last night.
This means either Hawk playing pass coverage :no: OrCapers coming up with a different defensive set(more DL or more DB)

Yeah...worst part of last night. Other than the LT play with Newhouse and Sherrod both out.Bishop had been tearing it up in camp since returning from the calf injury.And Smith was awful tackling last night.
This means either Hawk playing pass coverage :no: OrCapers coming up with a different defensive set(more DL or more DB)
More DL if anything - I can't believe I just said that....

The Packers' Graham Harrell dilemma

Graham Harrell's underwhelming performance Thursday night as the Green Bay Packers' backup quarterback merits a visit to Adam Schefter's weekly mailbag. Even before the Packers' 35-10 loss to the Cleveland Browns, Schefter suggested the Packers offer a fifth-round pick to the Browns for backup Colt McCoy.

"Cleveland would be willing to deal McCoy for the right price, no matter what it says," wrote Schefter, "and the Packers could use McCoy as much as any team in the league right about now. He would be great insurance for [Aaron] Rodgers and give the Packers the type of backup they would need to sustain their playoff hopes in the event of an injury."

McCoy has been displaced as the Browns' starter by rookie Brandon Weeden, but he has always been considered a good fit for the West Coast offense. As the theory goes, the Packers' well-respected quarterback trainers -- coach Mike McCarthy, offensive coordinator Tom Clements and quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo among them -- could bring him up to speed relatively quickly. While McCoy won't remind anyone of Rodgers, he also won't draw many comparisons to Harrell at the moment.

In brief playing time this preseason, McCoy has completed 10 of 14 passes for 146 yards. Harrell has completed 27 of 51 passes for 235 yards and one touchdown along with two interceptions.

On the one hand, a fifth-round draft pick is a fair price for a backup quarterback with starting experience. While most teams would suffer if it lost its starter, the hope for a good backup is that he can keep a good team in playoff contention. Consider it the difference between Caleb Hanie of the 2011 Chicago Bears and, say, Gus Frerotte of the 2008 Minnesota Vikings. At the moment, McCoy appears more qualified to do so than Harrell.

On the other hand, the Packers have invested two full seasons in Harrell's development, via the practice squad, and wouldn't seem likely to give up on him midway through the preseason. He has not been as sharp as former backup Matt Flynn's eye-opening preseason, but it's only fair to spread the blame for some of his statistics to poor pass protection and, in at least one case, a receiver falling as the ball arrived.

In the end, however, part of the Packers' decision-making process must take into account the timing of acquiring an alternative. The Browns have some incentive for keeping McCoy on the roster, given the perceived short leash that president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur face under incoming owner Jimmy Haslam. And the nature of the position suggests that other teams could also be interested in McCoy.

Part of me refuses to get worked up about an unestablished backup quarterback. If that's your worst problem, you're doing OK. Harrell doesn't have to be McCoy or Flynn or Jason Campbell to qualify for this job.

But at some point, you want to see the kind of extended preseason success that suggests he would function competently should he be thrust into a regular-season game. We've yet to see that this summer. If the Packers need to address the situation, and can do so with a fifth-round draft pick, they should consider themselves fortunate.

Air-tight support for Graham Harrell

Last Friday, we discussed one of the Green Bay Packers' options for replacing backup quarterback Graham Harrell -- if Harrell's shaky preseason moved the Packers to do so. Judging from what we've heard from the Packers since then, it appears Harrell is as safe as he could possibly be at this point.

That doesn't mean the Packers have ruled out a change. But they sure aren't anywhere close to looking elsewhere after two preseason outings that left Harrell with a 55.6 passer rating. Coach Mike McCarthy said over the weekend that Harrell graded out higher than the public might realize, and Harrell has received support from all corners of the organization since then.

Tuesday, general manager Ted Thompson told reporters: "I know there's been a lot of criticism. I think Mike mentioned that he graded out much better than you might expect. It's not always easy doing the second half of a preseason game when the chaos is coming at you pretty good. He's doing OK. ... He's a very hard worker. He really likes playing the game of football. He knows the nuances of playing that position. We have faith in a lot of our guys."

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers noted Harrell's culpability but said the Packers' second- and third-team offensive players need to do a better job around Harrell.

"That unit has to play better," Rodgers told reporters. "The front, they have not played very well. And at the skill positions there have been some poor play as well. You have to have guys around you making plays and [Harrell] has to do a better job decision-making and making the throws he knows he can make."

By all accounts, Rodgers' support for Harrell is genuine.

"I hope he plays very well," Rodgers said. "I think he's been doing a good job and probably unfairly taken some harsh criticism at times. I can tell you, like I said after the game, I don't think anybody in this locker room or the coaching staff is worried about Graham or doesn't have confidence in Graham. It's the preseason. Some stuff can happen at times to make it difficult to be successful. I've been there before. I also had some good stretches where I put some good games together and I think Graham is capable of doing the same thing with that unit."

Here's quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo: "He can run the offense, he can lead, he can be consistent and he can make the throws. I'm 100 percent confident he can go out and do that."

And offensive coordinator Tom Clements: "We've been happy with Graham. Sometimes it's just looking at the game and the situation he's in. Everyone focuses on, if the offense isn't successful it's the quarterback's fault. That isn't necessarily the case. He's missed a few throws, but a lot of times he’s made good throws and he's had to avoid people. He's doing a good job and we’re happy with his progress."

It's routine for NFL players and coaches to express support for each other. But what the Packers have done is more than simply express support for Harrell, a good guy that everyone is rooting for. They've gone out of their way to make sure we know that at least some of what we've seen this summer isn't Harrell's fault. Whether you agree or not, it should reiterate to you that the Packers really don't want anyone other than Graham Harrell to be their backup quarterback this season.

I like how TT's comments are considered some air tight support.

" He's doing OK. ... He's a very hard worker. He really likes playing the game of football. He knows the nuances of playing that position. We have faith in a lot of our guys."

Also read some of his other comments about "continued improvement" is what he is looking for.

McGinn had a good one the other day examining that Cleveland game and noticed that Rodgers' and McCarthy's words after that game simply excused the INTs...but sort of left out much of the rest of it.

They can blame the units all they want...but so many of his passes were just off the mark.

They can claim they don't have concerns to the media...but not buying it as anything beyond not trying to destroy Harrell's confidence right now.

Should we wait for all of them to come in before discussing?

Favors Boykin?

Rotoinfo_NFL ‏@Rotoinfo_NFL

#Packers : Tori Gurley-WR : #Packers cut WR Tori Gurley. http://bit.ly/Rwkw7H

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde

Two #Packers cuts already out there: @HowardShatsky says S Anthony Levine (his client); @TomSilverstein reports C Sampson Genus.

I was hoping Datko would go IR. Assume he clears waivers and hits the practice squad to bulk up? Think he is a nice prospect if he works at it.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod

The #Packers have cut C/G Tommie Draheim and T Andrew Datko, per a source

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky

We will have one soon on http://PackersNews.com RT @arob4221: @RobDemovsky Is there a running list going for today's roster moves?

From werdnoynek:

Zach Kruse

‏@zachkruse2: My source has also said that the Packers have cut WR Diondre Borel. Both offseason darlings are gone.

boykin the only one left! kind of shocking.

Another PS candidate?

Rotoinfo_NFL ‏@Rotoinfo_NFL

#Packers : Nic Cooper-RB : #Packers cut Nic Cooper http://bit.ly/RwlZLf

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod

The #Packers have cut Reggie Wells per sources. That leaves EDS, Barclay, Van Roten and Allard as remaining OL reserves

tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein

#Packers OL Greg Van Roten has been released. Really improved a lot during camp and is certain PS if he's not claimed.

#Packers have waived T Shea Allard, according to his agent. He was told practice squad is a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
no WR cut yet per Green Bay press Gazette

C Sampson Genus: Spent all of last season on the practice squad and once was viewed as a possible eventual starting center.

S Anthony Levine: Two-year practice squad player who got a long look at the strong safety spot in the nickel and dime but couldn’t overtake M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian.

C/G Tommie Draheim: Played every offensive line position in camp and is a good bet to return to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

T Andrew Datko: Seventh-round draft pick missed the last half of camp because of a concussion. Packers are probably hoping he clears waivers so they can bring him back to the practice squad.

TE Brandon Bostick: Undrafted rookie who had a nice training camp. He could draw interest from other teams. If not, a practice squad possibility.

G Reggie Wells: Veteran signed in mid-camp but couldn’t stick even though he can play guard and center.

T Shea Allard: Undrafted rookie was the No. 2 left tackle in last night’s preseason finale. Another practice squad possibility.

Source said that #Packers WR Dale Moss has been released. Been told that he is a strong candidate for the practice squad.

He's not ready so he SHOULD be able to hit the PS. I am still intrigued by him.

#Packers have waived DE Lawrence Guy.

js writers predict Boykin makes teamI wonder if they are trying to trade Jones or Driver
Can't see Driver having ANY value in trade (well, not a rate that is beneficial). I think TT is trying with Jones (just a hunch like everyone else on him).
Rumor per another thread is Miami is trying to trade for Jones (Miami WR thread). If that was going to happen I would think they would have done it before releasing any WRs.

js writers predict Boykin makes teamI wonder if they are trying to trade Jones or Driver
Can't see Driver having ANY value in trade (well, not a rate that is beneficial). I think TT is trying with Jones (just a hunch like everyone else on him).
Rumor per another thread is Miami is trying to trade for Jones (Miami WR thread). If that was going to happen I would think they would have done it before releasing any WRs.
My brain thought the same thing. My heart hoped that TT is playing a fine game of chicken to drive the price up. Even if the year started Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, Boykin, that isn't a bad thing.

with miami's wr cuts the deal may have been made, just not released. The Pack could keep 4TE again, so they may not want to have more than 4wr on the roster (jennings/nelson/driver/cobb/boykin

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod

The #Packers have notified undrafted OL Don Barclay that he has made the team.

OR - maybe not:

No word yet on #Packers OT Don Barclay. May depend on whether they pick someone up on waivers. Not a lock for 53-man roster yet.

Wes Hod won't be happy here (btw - I enjoy Wes' work):

Packers have wavied WR Curenski Gilleylen, according to a source.

I was just thinking this:

It sounds like the #Packers are telling just about everybody that they're interested in them for the practice squad.

with miami's wr cuts the deal may have been made, just not released. The Pack could keep 4TE again, so they may not want to have more than 4wr on the roster (jennings/nelson/driver/cobb/boykin
They sometimes have 4 WR's on the field at once so no way would they only have 4 WR on their roster. I think they keep 6th with Boykins being the 6th. Trading Jones before cutting Gurley/Borel makes sense...at this point it doesn't.

They sometimes have 4 WR's on the field at once so no way would they only have 4 WR on their roster. I think they keep 6th with Boykins being the 6th. Trading Jones before cutting Gurley/Borel makes sense...at this point it doesn't.
I agree, at this point it doesn't make sense. Miami can just sign either one now. Also rumored Miami trying to trade for Redskins WR Armstrong so I think there is nothing to the James Jones rumor.

Users who are viewing this thread