What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donnie Avery (1 Viewer)

I think we can safely say that Linehan had nothing to do with Holt's poor production this season. His firing has lit a spark under the team as a whole but Holt's production still stinks.

I actually picked him up before last week's game to cover a bye week problem for this week. I figured he'd be a desperation starter if I couldn't trade for somebody. Now I'm pretty confident in him at WR3.

Better to be a week early than a week late, now is the time
Well... it's a couple weeks after you said that, but he was still out there in my league so I took a shot and dropped I. Bruce for him. I'd rather take a shot on some gamebreaking upside with my WR4. I was going to start Bruce this week over Witten (no mandatory TE)... but Avery against a Harrison-less Pats might be a good play.

hmm now I am having problems with my decision

Would it be stupid to start him in my WR2 slot over Muhsin Muhammad, Antonio Bryant, and Chris Chambers (if he plays)

Thinking about pluging him in there at WR 3 over Cotchery in my dynasty.

After his 43 yard catch he averaged 5 yards a catch on his other 4 passes, which shows me they are trying to get him the ball in open space as well. I believe he has got a reverse in 3 straight games.

Thinking about pluging him in there at WR 3 over Cotchery in my dynasty.After his 43 yard catch he averaged 5 yards a catch on his other 4 passes, which shows me they are trying to get him the ball in open space as well. I believe he has got a reverse in 3 straight games.
Need 2 starters. I'm down to scraps with my WRs right now with only AJ left from my main core. Thought I was as solid as can be, unbelievable! Marshall (bye) Cotch banged upBoldin coming back from severe injury and tough tough Panthers D (risky)I'm pick Avery up and rolling the dice with him. It was a tough decision between him and Bryant but I like his explosiveness more and his up coming schedule even better. Problem is, he may never crack my starting lineup again after this week. We shall see but he good insurance regardless of what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no reason not to roll with Avery again this week against the Patriots. The Patriots pass defense is tied for 3rd worst in giving up plays of 40 yards or more with 5. Like Carolina Steve Smith, any play can turn into a long one for Avery. Avery continues to get more targets from Bulger the last 3 weeks, and overall, under interim HC Jim Haslett, the Rams are playing much, much better. I actually can see this being somewhat of a high scoring game, and maybe the Rams having to score some points to keep up with what appears to be an also improving Pats offense. All this adds up to what should be a respectable fantasy day for Avery.

I picked him up before last weeks game, and started him due to injuries (Colston, Galloway, and Westbrook, etc) and was glad I did. He is just a fill in off the bench for now, but with plenty of room on my bench - Thanks Carson Palmer, Vince Young, Tarvarius Jackson, Jerious Norwood) I had room to pick him up. But he will be on the bench this week. But I agree that in some leagues he remains at least for now, a descent WR3 or flex spot in remaining Bye weeks or if injuries arise. That's why we have a bench right.

Just my opinion - and remember that this is my first year in fantasy football. (See poor draft choices above)

Pyroboy

I am down to the wire in making my WR3 decision thanks to Holmes smoking tree.

N Washington or D Avery???? Any thoughts.... Not that anyone would give me a reason to go one way or the other... :banned:

Never thought I would do this but putting Colston and Owens on the bench today for Avery and Bryant. You have to go with the hot hand, and Avery right now is hot while the "studs" are not.

Never thought I would do this but putting Colston and Owens on the bench today for Avery and Bryant. You have to go with the hot hand, and Avery right now is hot while the "studs" are not.
:bag: I am playing Avery and Bryant too. My reasons are different than yours (byes, suspension), but I hope this combo pays off nonetheless.

Piked up Avery off the ww this week and started him over Moose. He felt like a good play since NE likes to take out the #1 option (Holt) and let their opponent try to beat them with their 2's & 3's.

Avery was still on the FA when I woke up this morning. I decided to drop Cedric Benson for him but didn't start him. Now I'm wishing I had started him ahead of R Moss, L Evans, and S Smith.

Hopefully Benson doesn't blow up as well. That would be bad luck.

I had to start Holt and Avery this week. Holt is worthless, especially in road games. I am waiving him after today.

Started him in 2 of the leagues I had him in (have him in another one...and I DID start him over TO today). :dancingpickle:

I swear he could have about 3 200+ yard games already and 3 more TD's. Several near misses - this kid gets open deep. Holt is a possession receiver. Avery is Bulger's guy now for sure.

Guys is Avery now higher on the keeper list than Desean Jackson,Royal?
hard to tell right now. Let's see how the next few weeks shake out. They are all very close right now. Avery might be in the best position out of all 3 to take over as #1 next year.

Isn't anyone concerned that Holt's targets have gone up since Haslett became coach? Could Holt return to prominence and push Avery back into the shadows?

Isn't anyone concerned that Holt's targets have gone up since Haslett became coach? Could Holt return to prominence and push Avery back into the shadows?
Holt has 23 targets and Avery 21 in the three games since Haslett took over. And Avery is converting 71% of his targets into receptions at a 20 ypc compared to Holt's 48% & 9.3 ypc.

Holt has 23 targets and Avery 21 in the three games since Haslett took over. And Avery is converting 71% of his targets into receptions at a 20 ypc compared to Holt's 48% & 9.3 ypc.
I'd expect to see Torry Holt have some games where he is better than Avery. Holt didn't lose a hand did he? He's a quality player and I think this is a valid concern.

I'd expect to see Torry Holt have some games where he is better than Avery. Holt didn't lose a hand did he? He's a quality player and I think this is a valid concern.
WR's tend to go from Stars to OK real fast, look at Amani Toomer he went from 1000+ for 5 straight years to below 700 in one year.I think its really Avery and SJAX team now not Holts

I don't expect 160 and a score every week from Avery. Holt will have a couple scores and even a two TD game, but so will Marvin Harrison. As a Harrison owner I can say that I am tired of trying to predict when his big games will happen and he is not nearly consistent enough to plug into my lineup every week. Holt seems like the same kind of headache.Avery looks like he could be a consistent 60-70 ypg performer with a much higher ceiling than Holt.

Users who are viewing this thread