What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Downton Abbey (1 Viewer)

'Good said:
'Marvin said:
'Good said:
'Marvin said:
I thought the old flame slipping Tom a mickey was a little laughable. Dude carries around rufies just in case?
Seems a little rape-y to me.I also chuckled because his name was "Larry."
Larry "The Rapist" Grey
"Dose me! Dose me!"-Edith
I'm hoping Edith falls down a well or something. She doesn't bring much to the show. Speaking of that...I'm not sure I'm really digging Shirley MacLaine so far. Is the point of her character just to be an American version of Violet? Just another old loudmouth to butt heads with?
They did say a major character was going to die.

'Good said:
'Marvin said:
'Good said:
'Marvin said:
I thought the old flame slipping Tom a mickey was a little laughable. Dude carries around rufies just in case?
Larry "The Rapist" Grey
I'm hoping Edith falls down a well or something. She doesn't bring much to the show. Speaking of that...I'm not sure I'm really digging Shirley MacLaine so far. Is the point of her character just to be an American version of Violet? Just another old loudmouth to butt heads with?
They did say a major character was going to die.
Anybody but Sybil.

'Good said:
'Marvin said:
'Good said:
'Marvin said:
Larry "The Rapist" Grey
Her sole purpose, so far, seems to beat everyone over the head with how important it is to be modern and break from tradition. A bit heavy-handed if you ask me, I hope they flesh her out a bit more.
It would have been nice if Maclaine's character were a bit more subtle.

'Good said:
'Marvin said:
'Good said:
'Marvin said:
Larry "The Rapist" Grey
Her sole purpose, so far, seems to beat everyone over the head with how important it is to be modern and break from tradition. A bit heavy-handed if you ask me, I hope they flesh her out a bit more.
It would have been nice if Maclaine's character were a bit more subtle.
When was a Shirley Maclaine character ever subtle? From anything I can remember seeing her in she only has one speed.

E1 was pretty full throttle, E2 mainly set up the rest of the season and allowed people to catch up.

I guess that makes some sense.

Still not totally sure where they go from here. Everyone has to go work at In And Out?

What's the rationale of delaying season three in the U.S.?
They always do this. Hell, at one point Inspector Lynley was 2 full seasons down to the broadcast version. PBS wants to release the shows where they know it will get the best ratings, and also to be able to have DVD ready to sell at the end to gain back some additional cash.They also have to format it for TV which means cutting some of the shots down a bit for length. In S1 they actually cut some dialogue.

E1 was pretty full throttle, E2 mainly set up the rest of the season and allowed people to catch up.I guess that makes some sense. Still not totally sure where they go from here. Everyone has to go work at In And Out?
My wild guess is that Matthew starts having dreams about Lavinia with her telling him she wants him to have the money.This is a spoiler about the season, not one of the two episodes that have happened:
At least one new maid and another footman have been cast, so something will work out with the house.

E1 was pretty full throttle, E2 mainly set up the rest of the season and allowed people to catch up.I guess that makes some sense. Still not totally sure where they go from here. Everyone has to go work at In And Out?
My wild guess is that Matthew starts having dreams about Lavinia with her telling him she wants him to have the money.This is a spoiler about the season, not one of the two episodes that have happened:
At least one new maid and another footman have been cast, so something will work out with the house.
Lol, yeah. would fit the theme.

I'm not really buying into Matthew's "I can't take the money" shtick. Dude is a lawyer...his moral standards can't be that high.

I'm not really buying into Matthew's "I can't take the money" shtick. Dude is a lawyer...his moral standards can't be that high.
Maybe he doesn't want it, doesn't care for the lifestyle that much, but really doesn't want it on his dime. If this season is nothing but fighting over her daddy's cash it's going to be pretty disappointing.

'culdeus said:
What's the rationale of delaying season three in the U.S.?
They always do this. Hell, at one point Inspector Lynley was 2 full seasons down to the broadcast version. PBS wants to release the shows where they know it will get the best ratings, and also to be able to have DVD ready to sell at the end to gain back some additional cash.They also have to format it for TV which means cutting some of the shots down a bit for length. In S1 they actually cut some dialogue.
Looking back at the timeline the season two dvd was availabe right when it was set to debut on PBS. So basically it seems like they want you to purchase the dvd season rather then watch it on PBS. Appears season three dvd will be available this January as well before it airs on PBS.

A Downton Abbey prequel may be in the works

Julian Fellowes' fancy-rose-shaped-soap opera Downton Abbey has already revealed the frustrated romances and stifled class wars lurking just beneath the starched surface of the early 20th century, but did you know that time existed prior to that, and that it also had people who loved and deceived each other while pausing to open letters full of dismaying news? It's true, and Fellowes is considering exploring it with a Downton Abbey prequel set during the "time when the Buccaneers were coming to England," and Maggie Smith's Dowager Countess was a salty sea merchant in the Caribbean, fending off those ruthless buccaneers with the sharp edge of her scimitar and even sharper tongue.

Or, more accurately and less interestingly, Fellowes means the Edith Warton sort of Buccaneers, delving into the courtship of the future Lord and Lady Grantham when American girls swarmed England looking for aristocrats to marry, and Robert took Cora for his wife because of her money, before finally falling in love with her a year later. Downton is still airing its third season in the UK (while Americans who watch it legally get it in January), so the prequel is still in the planning stages, meaning it's not too late to change it to the Maggie Smith pirate thing.

I was totally shocked that something semi-out of the blue happened that made Matthew change his mind. Shocked, I tell you.

And Edith getting jilted by Lord Lefty wasn't a huge surprise. But it was funny.

I was totally shocked that something semi-out of the blue happened that made Matthew change his mind. Shocked, I tell you.And Edith getting jilted by Lord Lefty wasn't a huge surprise. But it was funny.
The show itself would've had to drastically reinvent itself if he'd given the money away. A new setting, a new title for the show, a lot of the cast would have had to go, etc. Having Crawley be a co-headmaster, I think, is a good way to maintain the status quo but to create some new storylines. I thought LL's timing was great. Very jarring to just drop it on her as she got to the altar, although you could see it coming. It was a great sequence.Edith: So close to getting dicked, and then to have it snatched away at the last moment.

I was totally shocked that something semi-out of the blue happened that made Matthew change his mind. Shocked, I tell you.

And Edith getting jilted by Lord Lefty wasn't a huge surprise. But it was funny.
That worked out a little too quickly and conveniently. They could revisit it later if they wanted, but I doubt they will.

I was totally shocked that something semi-out of the blue happened that made Matthew change his mind. Shocked, I tell you.And Edith getting jilted by Lord Lefty wasn't a huge surprise. But it was funny.
The show itself would've had to drastically reinvent itself if he'd given the money away. A new setting, a new title for the show, a lot of the cast would have had to go, etc. Having Crawley be a co-headmaster, I think, is a good way to maintain the status quo but to create some new storylines. I thought LL's timing was great. Very jarring to just drop it on her as she got to the altar, although you could see it coming. It was a great sequence.Edith: So close to getting dicked, and then to have it snatched away at the last moment.
Edith needs to find herself a nice chauffeur to clean the build-up out of her in-take.

That worked out a little too quickly and conveniently. They could revisit it later if they wanted, but I doubt they will.
Each season covers a pretty long length of time, which makes it seem like things wrap up a lot quicker than they actually would in real-time. Also, I always giggle when I think of a white dude named Reggie.

Each season covers a pretty long length of time, which makes it seem like things wrap up a lot quicker than they actually would in real-time. Also, I always giggle when I think of a white dude named Reggie.
That was quick even for Downton. "I won't do it, I won't do it, I won't do it!" "She wrote a letter." "Oh, OK."

Just finished Season 2.

I had it on my iPad for a good 9 months now but had been saving it for plane rides since I had a lot of travel booked over the summer.

Anyway, I know it's typically annoying for Johnny-Come-Latelys to comment on shows they missed the first time around but below are my thoughts for anyone who's waiting until January to start Season 3.

- by the 6th or 7th episode, the show got very soap opera-y. I guess it is a soap opera but there was so much outrageous crap happening all at once that it felt like I was watching General Hospital. Banks' wife comes up dead, people almost dying (and actually dying) of Spanish flu all of a sudden, the love triangle with Crawley/Mary/Ser Jorah Mormont, Daisy marrying William on his deathbed, Scarlet Johansson errr- Sybil running away with the guy who drives the cars, Lord Grantham kissing the ugly house maid, etc.

All of it was good stuff (other than Leviniah dying being so predictable) and I guess maybe that's just British drama, but felt very force fed over the last 3 episodes IMO.

Didn't buy the Grantham/housemaid cheating thing too much and thought it was just a little odd and uncomfortable.

I guess they need a character like Thomas and Mrs. OBrien to be evil and the show did a good job because I do hate them both.

Love the dynamic between Mrs. Patmoor and Daisy and the way Patmoor talks to her.

I was prepared to not find Countess Grantham funny because the chicks I know that recommended this show to me thought she was hilarious, but her one liners had me cracking up at times.

Good show all in all and looking forward to Season 3 however I hope they wrap up the Bates thing quickly. It's been going on for 2 full seasons now and I'm growing a bit tired of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a great episode IMO. They've dragged the Ethel storyline out far too long, and she's just so unlikeable.

Downton Abbey just released a bunch of expensive t-shirts to the US. I'm guessing that the "I'm a Mary" shirts are going to far outsell the "I'm an Edith" and especially the "I'm a Sybil" shirts.

Robert's really screwing the pooch lately.

My wife had pre-e with her first birth. They gave her medicine for it that made her puke stomach acid for the better part of 3 days, if not longer. She always thought they were too cautious. Last night she watched that and said "Oh, that's what would have happened. :mellow: I guess that wasn't so bad".

Someone want to clue me in on the guard with the beef against Bates. What did I miss there to start that?

Excellent last couple episodes. I find it interesting that when things were pretty good at the estate, Maggie Smith's Lady Grantham was prickly and terse. But as matters worsened, she's become more and more empathetic.

Not sure why the Simon Baker look-a-like footman doesn't just narc on/call out Creepy Gay Rapist valet. Pretty sure nobody would stick up for the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread