What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Downton Abbey (1 Viewer)

The army vet that claimed to be the rightful heir has to come back and cause trouble at some point, right? I find it hard to believe he just left without a care and they dropped the storyline like a bad habit.

Killed off the hottest chick on the show. :kicksrock: I knew it was coming though, Mrs Bats didn't want to believe me when I called it at the beginning.
I probably should have read a synopsis on that episode before we watched it last night. Hard viewing when your pregnant wife is sitting there crying.

[hipster]Watched this season so many months ago I forgot what happened [/hipster]
Lol, anyone moved on to Ripper Street or Call The Midwives? Both of these are in the same genere and are as good or better in parts.
saw the 1st season of Midwives on PBS & was blown away. The "I'm his incubator, he's my transfusion" scene was my most-riveting TV moment of last year. also, that Chummy really taps into my ginormous-woman fetish

[hipster]Watched this season so many months ago I forgot what happened [/hipster]
Lol, anyone moved on to Ripper Street or Call The Midwives? Both of these are in the same genere and are as good or better in parts.
Guess I'll have to check these out. Downton is currently the only show I sit down and watch live because I just can't wait
CTMW is in season 2 on BBC right now. They aired S1 in September in the US quietly on PBS. It is much shorter season. Like 7 episodes.

'The Z Machine said:
Mary has been really pissing me off lately. What a c#nt.
standing over their dead sister's body:Edith: Do you ever think we'll love each other like sisters should? Mary: Probably not:lmao: She's a cold #####.

Guys, guys guys...both are hot.
Anyone got some pics of Lady Cara Crawley when she was younger? She might have been a looker about 20 years ago.
Who the hell is Cara?Are you talking about Elizabeth McGovern? She was pretty cute. Showed off her boobs in a few movies.
Oops. Should have written Cora. That's her though. What movies do you suggest I check out?I'm a sucker for brunettes with pretty blue eyes.

Anyone got some pics of Lady Cara Crawley when she was younger? She might have been a looker about 20 years ago.
Who the hell is Cara?Are you talking about Elizabeth McGovern? She was pretty cute. Showed off her boobs in a few movies.
Oops. Should have written Cora. That's her though. What movies do you suggest I check out?I'm a sucker for brunettes with pretty blue eyes.
Once Upon a Time in America ,early 80s - DeNiro, Jimmy Woods, McGovern (backseat sex in a limo), a 10yo Jennifer Connelly :homer: & a lot of great character actors in Leone's take on the rise of the Jewish Mafia in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to disagree that the show takes a nosedive in season 2. I'm up to episode 5 and I find it pretty riveting. It's making me read up on WWI.

Edith's life is a strange parallel of Unity Mitford. If I were writing the script, I'd made her a fascist and have her flirt with Hitler in later seasons.

Once Upon a Time in America ,early 80s - DeNiro, Jimmy Woods, McGovern (backseat sex in a limo), a 10yo Jennifer Connelly :homer: & a lot of great character actors in Leone's take on the rise of the Jewish Mafia in NYC.
More McGovern nudity (and a surprisingly good unsung 80s movie to boot) in Racing With the Moon. Also starring Sean Penn and Nic Cage.

RagtimeOrdinary People

More McGovern nudity (and a surprisingly good unsung 80s movie to boot) in Racing With the Moon. Also starring Sean Penn and Nic Cage.
Yep. She's topless in a very cold pond. A pointed scene indeed. And I agree that it is a pretty decent movie.

Despite the stellar cast, I remember this movie being a mess.

If you haven't seen all the episodes 1-9 of season 3 don't read.

What a joke of a setup they got going on over there if you build a series around someone and they can just walk whenever they want apparently. Don't they have contracts giving the studios options?Not yearning for the old days were actors were tied to studios for a lifetime but geez is it too much to ask a no-name actor to sign for at least 5-8 seasons?Sybil and Mathew just walk on the show? So now we have two widow/ers with newborns in one season. Ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

What a joke of a setup they got going on over there if you build a series around someone and they can just walk whenever they want apparently. Don't they have contracts giving the studios options?Not yearning for the old days were actors were tied to studios for a lifetime but geez is it too much to ask a no-name actor to sign for at least 5-8 seasons?Sybil and Mathew just walk on the show? So now we have two widow/ers with newborns in one season. Ridiculous.
They pay these people nothing. Basically they do it for charity and to get their name out there. The budget goes to the big names and then the younger guys get their exposure and move on. There are lots of people that got their start doing these British shows. So it goes.

They had three season contracts. They're up.

'Daywalker said:

He's the British Jimmy Smits.

'jdoggydogg said:
Despite the stellar cast, I remember this movie being a mess.
Very loooong and overdone movie.

'Daywalker said:

He's the British Jimmy Smits.
Think they would have been better served if Mary was not so far a long and perhaps has a miscarriage after Mathew dies. That way the tension of finding an heir is stil in place. Perhaps next season Grantham gets ill and Mary rushes into a bad marriage. Grantham gets better and Mary gets into some Age of Innocence shennanigans while in her loveless marriage. :popcorn:

Matt no.The AV Club (some new writer (?), who isn't very good) #### on the show for writing him out so clumsily, but that's a hard character to write off, given the circumstances. There may be a way to do it (without losing Mary), but I can't think of a logical one.

Matt no.The AV Club (some new writer (?), who isn't very good) #### on the show for writing him out so clumsily, but that's a hard character to write off, given the circumstances. There may be a way to do it (without losing Mary), but I can't think of a logical one.
With all the concern, I thought the baby was a goner. Then we see Matt cruising in the convertible and Mrs Bats says immediately, "no suprise what's coming next, right?". We just didnt think he would've been pronounced dead right there. Liked his charachter and was shocked to see him killed off, at least they have another heir in line.

they should make Olive, or whatever the ugly one's name is, a contraception pioneer in S4 - if only because of the deadly natal luck of the Granthams.

It's just about jumped the shark for me. Mr. Carson has become cartoonish to the point of being annoying. It's the same disapproving glare 10 times per episode, and usually it amounts to nothing. They really left nothing interesting of the servants' storylines. What happened to Daisy? :confused:The way they ended the season is almost inexcusable. It's become as absurd as a daytime soap opera.I found the show interesting when it explored how the estate might survive in the modern era, but more and more of the focus is on the extreme melodrama and main characters suddenly kicking the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread