What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Benjamin Carson's speech (1 Viewer)

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:
I have a good friend whose child was born with a severely life-threatening issue that required brain surgery within the first few weeks of life. Living in Baltimore, they were referred to Johns Hopkins and Dr. Carson.

He told them that he does not accept insurance - because insurance companies don't pay him his full fee - and had his own financial administrator attend the initial consult so he could review their credit score and work out a payment plan for the surgery. Remember, these are parents of a newborn needing brain surgery to stay alive.

They sought another referral at JHU, to a doctor who would accept insurance, and who performed the surgery.

I'm not real interested in Carson's views on health insurance reform.
Awful. No wonder he wants to have everyone on HSAs, think of how much higher his profits would be if people didn't have insurance companies to negotiate for them. Sounds like his world is one where everyone pays the chargemaster price. If they can't afford that, they can just pay interest to the financing arm of healthcare providers. Seems ridiculous to complain about our health care costs being so high given that.
So basically there's not much in the speech to disagree with, but he sort of criticized the guy on your team , so you're gonna find something completely unrelated to ##### about and make personal attacks on his character? Politics are awesome.
Actually I disagree with his Flat Tax as Biblical principle approach. And the whole HSA thing? Yeah that's great for wealthy doctors but not so much for the actual people who would be paying them. And I also know that under god wasn't added to the pledge until over 140 years after the War of 1812.

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:
I have a good friend whose child was born with a severely life-threatening issue that required brain surgery within the first few weeks of life. Living in Baltimore, they were referred to Johns Hopkins and Dr. Carson.

He told them that he does not accept insurance - because insurance companies don't pay him his full fee - and had his own financial administrator attend the initial consult so he could review their credit score and work out a payment plan for the surgery. Remember, these are parents of a newborn needing brain surgery to stay alive.

They sought another referral at JHU, to a doctor who would accept insurance, and who performed the surgery.

Awful. No wonder he wants to have everyone on HSAs, think of how much higher his profits would be if people didn't have insurance companies to negotiate for them. Sounds like his world is one where everyone pays the chargemaster price. If they can't afford that, they can just pay interest to the financing arm of healthcare providers. Seems ridiculous to complain about our health care costs being so high given that.
So basically there's not much in the speech to disagree with, but he sort of criticized the guy on your team , so you're gonna find something completely unrelated to ##### about and make personal attacks on his character? Politics are awesome.
You have to forgive him. He is following the lib playbook. He could not just call Carson a rascist which is the normal lib SOP. The next move is to attack his character with lies.
:lmao:

Yes, it is all just unrelated lies to talk about the healthcare proposal in his speech.

Now some people say, ahhh, you’re over blowing it, things aren’t that bad, and you’re a doctor, a neurosurgeon. Why are you concerned about these things? Got news for you. FIVE doctors signed the Declaration of Independence. Doctors were involved in the framing of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, in a whole bunch of things. It’s only been since recent decades that we’ve extracted ourselves, which I think is a big mistake.

[benjamin Carson] Source: LYBIO.netWe need doctors, we needs scientists, engineers. We need all those people involved in government, not just lawyers…I don’t have anything against lawyers, but you know, here’s the thing about lawyers…I’m sorry, but I got to be truthful…got to be truthful – what do lawyers learn in law school? To win, by hook or by crook. You gotta win, so you got all these Democrat lawyers, and you got all these Republican lawyers and their sides want to win. We need to get rid of that. What we need to start thinking about is, how do we solve problems?
I've got news for you - 24 lawyers signed the Declaration of Independence.

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:

You have to forgive him. He is following the lib playbook. He could not just call Carson a rascist which is the normal lib SOP. The next move is to attack his character with lies.
I didn't say anything about Dr. Carson's character which - by all accounts - is exemplary. I also said that he is a superstar talent who is free to charge whatever price he can command.

But I also told you the truth about a person who is very close to me and was then called a liar. Do me a favor and don't do that again.

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:

I didn't say anything about Dr. Carson's character which - by all accounts - is exemplary. I also said that he is a superstar talent who is free to charge whatever price he can command.

But I also told you the truth about a person who is very close to me and was then called a liar. Do me a favor and don't do that again.
Who called you a liar, and don't do what again? Surely you can see why bringing up an unrelated story suggesting that he is in the wrong for not accepting your friends insurance might be viewed as an attack on his character. Otherwise, why bring it up in this thread?

Now some people say, ahhh, you’re over blowing it, things aren’t that bad, and you’re a doctor, a neurosurgeon. Why are you concerned about these things? Got news for you. FIVE doctors signed the Declaration of Independence. Doctors were involved in the framing of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, in a whole bunch of things. It’s only been since recent decades that we’ve extracted ourselves, which I think is a big mistake.[benjamin Carson] Source: LYBIO.netWe need doctors, we needs scientists, engineers. We need all those people involved in government, not just lawyers…I don’t have anything against lawyers, but you know, here’s the thing about lawyers…I’m sorry, but I got to be truthful…got to be truthful – what do lawyers learn in law school? To win, by hook or by crook. You gotta win, so you got all these Democrat lawyers, and you got all these Republican lawyers and their sides want to win. We need to get rid of that. What we need to start thinking about is, how do we solve problems?
I am sure he know this.

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:
I have a good friend whose child was born with a severely life-threatening issue that required brain surgery within the first few weeks of life. Living in Baltimore, they were referred to Johns Hopkins and Dr. Carson. He told them that he does not accept insurance - because insurance companies don't pay him his full fee - and had his own financial administrator attend the initial consult so he could review their credit score and work out a payment plan for the surgery. Remember, these are parents of a newborn needing brain surgery to stay alive. They sought another referral at JHU, to a doctor who would accept insurance, and who performed the surgery. I'm not real interested in Carson's views on health insurance reform.
I didn't say anything about Dr. Carson's character which - by all accounts - is exemplary. I also said that he is a superstar talent who is free to charge whatever price he can command. But I also told you the truth about a person who is very close to me and was then called a liar. Do me a favor and don't do that again.
Who called you a liar, and don't do what again? Surely you can see why bringing up an unrelated story suggesting that he is in the wrong for not accepting your friends insurance might be viewed as an attack on his character. Otherwise, why bring it up in this thread?
Someone raised the BS flag on him but it wasn't the source of my disagreement with him. I would imagine I would be personally stung if I was refused a more skilled surgeon because of what I could afford to pay but those facts play out all the time, like with lawyers...

Now some people say, ahhh, you’re over blowing it, things aren’t that bad, and you’re a doctor, a neurosurgeon. Why are you concerned about these things? Got news for you. FIVE doctors signed the Declaration of Independence. Doctors were involved in the framing of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, in a whole bunch of things. It’s only been since recent decades that we’ve extracted ourselves, which I think is a big mistake.

[benjamin Carson] Source: LYBIO.net

We need doctors, we needs scientists, engineers. We need all those people involved in government, not just lawyers…I don’t have anything against lawyers, but you know, here’s the thing about lawyers…I’m sorry, but I got to be truthful…got to be truthful – what do lawyers learn in law school? To win, by hook or by crook. You gotta win, so you got all these Democrat lawyers, and you got all these Republican lawyers and their sides want to win. We need to get rid of that. What we need to start thinking about is, how do we solve problems?
according to this site there were 26 lawyers and 4 doctors: http://www.usconstitution.net/declarsigndata.html

I probably shouldn't have waded into this thread, as I really couldn't possibly care less about Ben Carson's political aspirations.

My only point was that this guy basically operates beyond the reality of today's health care system - he's a superstar in such huge demand that he refuses to accept health insurance, and yet still finds enough patients wealthy (or desperate) enough that they will pay the full sticker price. And so his views on health care reform are totally out of touch with the reality of almost every patient and every other doctor in the country.

One of the nice things about living in Baltimore is that there are plenty of Hopkins doctors around, and my friends were able to find another highly accomplished surgeon who would accept insurance.

I now retire from this thread. Have at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Slapdash said:
The_Man said:

Actually I disagree with his Flat Tax as Biblical principle approach. And the whole HSA thing? Yeah that's great for wealthy doctors but not so much for the actual people who would be paying them. And I also know that under god wasn't added to the pledge until over 140 years after the War of 1812.
All of those are semi-reasonable disagreements. Saying has no business talking about insurance reform because he doesn't accept insurance is different, which is what I got out of that post. That, and that he is a jerk because of it.

Now some people say, ahhh, you’re over blowing it, things aren’t that bad, and you’re a doctor, a neurosurgeon. Why are you concerned about these things? Got news for you. FIVE doctors signed the Declaration of Independence. Doctors were involved in the framing of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, in a whole bunch of things. It’s only been since recent decades that we’ve extracted ourselves, which I think is a big mistake.[benjamin Carson] Source: LYBIO.netWe need doctors, we needs scientists, engineers. We need all those people involved in government, not just lawyers…I don’t have anything against lawyers, but you know, here’s the thing about lawyers…I’m sorry, but I got to be truthful…got to be truthful – what do lawyers learn in law school? To win, by hook or by crook. You gotta win, so you got all these Democrat lawyers, and you got all these Republican lawyers and their sides want to win. We need to get rid of that. What we need to start thinking about is, how do we solve problems?
I am sure he know this.
He doesn't seem to as he called out lawyers as people who only know how to win, not solve problems, yet there were 5x as many lawyers who signed as there were doctors.

I am sure he know this.
He doesn't seem to as he called out lawyers as people who only know how to win, not solve problems, yet there were 5x as many lawyers who signed as there were doctors.
And look where all those lawyers got us - into a war with England - how many of them picked up a rifle?

I probably shouldn't have waded into this thread, as I really couldn't possibly care less about Ben Carson's political aspirations. My only point was that this guy basically operates beyond the reality of today's health care system - he's a superstar in such huge demand that he refuses to accept health insurance, and yet still finds enough patients wealthy (or desperate) enough that they will pay the full sticker price. And so his views on health care reform are totally out of touch with the reality of almost every patient and every other doctor in the country. One of the nice things about living in Baltimore is that there are plenty of Hopkins doctors around, and my friends were able to find another highly accomplished surgeon who would accept insurance. I now retire from this thread. Have at it!
I know you have retired from this but how are his demands to be paid any less onerous than a lawyer's...and they don't accept insurances.

I probably shouldn't have waded into this thread, as I really couldn't possibly care less about Ben Carson's political aspirations. My only point was that this guy basically operates beyond the reality of today's health care system - he's a superstar in such huge demand that he refuses to accept health insurance, and yet still finds enough patients wealthy (or desperate) enough that they will pay the full sticker price. And so his views on health care reform are totally out of touch with the reality of almost every patient and every other doctor in the country. One of the nice things about living in Baltimore is that there are plenty of Hopkins doctors around, and my friends were able to find another highly accomplished surgeon who would accept insurance. I now retire from this thread. Have at it!
I know you have retired from this but how are his demands to be paid any less onerous than a lawyer's...and they don't accept insurances.
What? Something like 60% of the lawyers in this country work directly or indirectly for insurance companies. You seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

Slapdash said:
The_Man said:

First, I never called you a liar.

Second, I do not know you well enough to do you any favors.

I probably shouldn't have waded into this thread, as I really couldn't possibly care less about Ben Carson's political aspirations.

My only point was that this guy basically operates beyond the reality of today's health care system - he's a superstar in such huge demand that he refuses to accept health insurance, and yet still finds enough patients wealthy (or desperate) enough that they will pay the full sticker price. And so his views on health care reform are totally out of touch with the reality of almost every patient and every other doctor in the country.

One of the nice things about living in Baltimore is that there are plenty of Hopkins doctors around, and my friends were able to find another highly accomplished surgeon who would accept insurance.

I now retire from this thread. Have at it!
One outcome of the new health care law is that many more doctors may be similarly opting out of insurance and medicare/medicaid.

So maybe his viewpoint carries some weight.

Users who are viewing this thread