What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Willie Neslon's 4 step system on improving hangovers (1 Viewer)

Do you plan on drinking alcohol this holiday weekend?

• Yep

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Hi everyone. Dr. Willie Neslon here and with a holiday weekend coming up I wanted to discuss hangovers and how to minimize them. We all know one of the bad things about getting older is our bodies don't behave like they used to and even a small amount of booze can lead to feeling really lousy the day after. For me, when I turned about 40, after a day or night of drinking my hangovers became almost too much to deal with. Some of my friends gave up booze completely around this time but I still wanted to enjoy some cocktails every now and again so instead of following their path I tried to discover a way to still enjoy a few drinks but not feel like death the next day. After years of research I have narrowed it down to 4 things that everyone can do in order to party like it's 1999 and not pay dearly for it. Without further ado, here are my 4 tips:

#1 Drink plenty of water before you start drinking alcohol

This is an obvious one but sometimes we can forget to hydrate before it is too late. Drinking a ton of water before you start drinking will lead you to be less dehydrated the day after. If you wake up the next day super dehydrated it is too late to avoid feeling the effects of being dehydrated. Yes, water or Gatorade or whatever the day after is going to quench that thirst but you will still feel the effects of dehydration. Drinking plenty of water before you start partying will make you less dehydrated the next day and being less dehydrated means a less severe hangover.

#2 - Take antacid right before bedtime

This is an easy step that anyone can do. Alcohol fires up gastric acid production and minimizing that acid will knock your hangover down a few notches. Acid reflux is one of the main factors contributing to that lousy feeling. Taking an antacid when the drinking is over/right before bed will guarantee your hangover will feel less severe. I take a Pepcid Complete.

#3 - Get in shape

This should be obvious. The worse shape you are in the worse your hangover is going to be. We all know regular exercise has many benefits. You look great, you feel great and to top it off being hungover is much easier to deal with. I had a love/hate relationship with working out. I've gone through phases of working out all the time to not working out at all. Several years back I committed to almost daily exercise (bike and light lifting) and haven't looked back. I can tell you for sure that if you are in shape your hangover won't be as bad than if you are out of shape.

#4 - Quit caffeine

This one will be controversial. I know many people will never give up their coffee or soda but I can tell you from personal experience that if you abstain from caffeine your hangovers will be much less severe. About 6-7 years ago I quit caffeine because I wanted to improve my sleep. Well my sleep did drastically improve but an unforeseen effect was I didn't feel so bad the day after drinking. I usually drank about 2-3 cups of coffee in the mornings only and let me tell you quitting caffeine, even that semi-small amount, was an absolute #####. It was about 10 weeks of hell. Once I got through it however I immediately noticed how much better I felt the day after consuming a couple-five drinks (in addition to many other benefits but that's for another thread). I know what your thinking, "but Dr. Willie, coffee helps sooth my hangover." Maybe it does a little but I can tell you for sure that if you were caffeine free you wouldn't even need to sooth yourself with caffeine to begin with.

Well that's it. After many years of research I have concluded it's those 4 things that will greatly reduce your hangover and allow you to continue enjoying your favorite libations for many years to come. Before I followed this plan my hangovers got to the point where they were about a 12 out of 10 on the I felt awful scale. Today I'm happy to report my hangovers are about a 3 out of 10 and it's all thanks to that 4 step plan.

Thank you for reading and please share your tips if you swear by anything. If you decide to follow my system feel free to share your results and experiences. Have a great holiday weekend everybody and happy drinking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, quit caffeine. 

I can't stand being drunk. Giving up coffee to make hangovers more bearable, oh man....

Get you a vape pen, eliminate hangovers altogether. 

My father drank a lot. Daily.  To the point where the best Christmas gifts we got each year came from the liquor store owner.

I remember when my sister had her first hangover and she asked him how he dealt with it. "Simple. Don't stop".

Hammer water and Powerade plus Advil.  I usually wake up at least once a night to pee.  Hammer another Powerade and more Advil.  But that’s very rare - I just stop drinking before I get too drunk 99% of the time.

Honestly I care more about reducing PADS after drinking. I can control the hangover with hydration, it’s the PADS that sucks the most. 

My problem is even when I was young I would always get nasty hangovers with pounding headaches. Even from minimal drinking. Finally got to a point quite a few years ago where I decided it just wasn't worth it. I maybe have a couple of beers a year. 

My problem is even when I was young I would always get nasty hangovers with pounding headaches. Even from minimal drinking. Finally got to a point quite a few years ago where I decided it just wasn't worth it. I maybe have a couple of beers a year. 
I stopped drinking beer because of this....for some reason cheap ### beer gives me instant headaches after about one beer.

What I've recently done is have my mix drinks be SINGLE talls (instead of double talls).   More non-alcohol mixed with the less alcohol, but still tastes good and takes longer to drink (so ultimately putting less alcohol in your body).

I find that drinking quality alcohol makes a huge difference for me.  Pounding PBRs = bad hangover.  Gin & Tonics with a quality gin = no problem at all.  

What is PADS?
Post Alcohol Depression Syndrome. 

It's basically that anxious and depressed feeling that one feels the day after. Oftentimes it's associated with an irrational fear that one did something embarrassing, inappropriate, or foolish though such isn't the case. For me, I have no history of depression and anxiety yet the last couple of years I've experienced some pretty significant yet temporary bouts of anxiety the day after a day of drinking.* My golfing buddy has some supplements that have some enzyme in it designed to help as one of the believed triggers is that dopamine and serotonin levels drop due to the alcohol.  

*While I can't remember the last time I've gone on some all night rager or even been blackout drunk, my vice is that I enjoy drinking while I play golf. Sometimes this meaning starting with whisky at like 7 AM. Then, after the round and lunch or whatever, I'll have a few drinks throughout the remainder of the day (wine with my wife at home or whatever) with lots of water just to keep the buzz going and prevent a late afternoon hangover. So, while I'm never really drunk at any point, I could still have like ten drinks spaced way out throughout the day leaving me not hungover but chemically imbalanced the next day. While this didn't use to happen to me, I've noticed over the last couple of years that I'm just "off" in a negative way the day after drinking. That is to mean that I don't have some raging headache or am sleep-deprived like a regular hangover from my 20s, but instead it's like a day of experiencing what I assume depressed or people suffering from anxiety feel like. For example I'll start questioning my worth as a father/husband, I'll worry incessantly that I offended somebody I was with the day prior (when I didn't), etc.

For me, hydration and exercise seem to be key.  The faster I can get moving and work up a good sweat, the faster I feel better.  Of course I need to hydrate before or during the exercise or else I will not sweat.  

Post Alcohol Depression Syndrome. 

It's basically that anxious and depressed feeling that one feels the day after. Oftentimes it's associated with an irrational fear that one did something embarrassing, inappropriate, or foolish though such isn't the case. For me, I have no history of depression and anxiety yet the last couple of years I've experienced some pretty significant yet temporary bouts of anxiety the day after a day of drinking.* My golfing buddy has some supplements that have some enzyme in it designed to help as one of the believed triggers is that dopamine and serotonin levels drop due to the alcohol.  

*While I can't remember the last time I've gone on some all night rager or even been blackout drunk, my vice is that I enjoy drinking while I play golf. Sometimes this meaning starting with whisky at like 7 AM. Then, after the round and lunch or whatever, I'll have a few drinks throughout the remainder of the day (wine with my wife at home or whatever) with lots of water just to keep the buzz going and prevent a late afternoon hangover. So, while I'm never really drunk at any point, I could still have like ten drinks spaced way out throughout the day leaving me not hungover but chemically imbalanced the next day. While this didn't use to happen to me, I've noticed over the last couple of years that I'm just "off" in a negative way the day after drinking. That is to mean that I don't have some raging headache or am sleep-deprived like a regular hangover from my 20s, but instead it's like a day of experiencing what I assume depressed or people suffering from anxiety feel like. For example I'll start questioning my worth as a father/husband, I'll worry incessantly that I offended somebody I was with the day prior (when I didn't), etc.

This is why I've reduced my drinking significantly and have started drinking more water. And the biggest one for me, which is hard, is making the decision to not have just one more and instead have a kombucha or other carbonated drink with some weed.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
These are pretty good. They're along the same lines as pedialyte, liquid iv, etc. They definitely help a lot with the dehydration aspects and, for me at least, prevent that raging headache. 

Gotta get sleep though. 
Yes, they all do the same thing.  I personally think the drip drops taste better plus I can keep them everywhere.  In my truck, work, suitcases.  I don't have a colon so dehydration is a serious concern of mine,  especially working outside in South LA.  These things might literally be lifesavers.  

I forgot to mention earlier, Adderall is a miracle drug for hangovers if you can get your hands on one.  (From a doctor of course) Especially if you're doing a 2 or 3 day bender.

Liquid IV makes these hydration packets you add to a bottle of water. One of those before bed with Excedrin and the next day is fine. I will typically have another packet in the morning when after I wake up

Coconut water is my miracle drink after a big drinking night. I chug a carton of that stuff and feel pretty damn good pretty quickly.
Yeah, this stuff is great. 

Liquid IV makes these hydration packets you add to a bottle of water. One of those before bed with Excedrin and the next day is fine. I will typically have another packet in the morning when after I wake up
A large group of us went out of town a few weeks ago for a long weekend to celebrate me and my buddy's 40th birthdays. Obviously was a long weekend of drinking. My wife bought a bunch of these Liquid IVs. We would slam one before going out, before bed and then when we got up. Obviously we mixed in waters as well throughout the day but this stuff totally worked. Never felt hungover, sluggish, etc. Allowed us to have fun the whole weekend as opposed to going too hard night 1 and then being at 50% Saturday and feeling like we kind of wasted the day.

I kind of felt like I should be having 1 a day whether I was drinking or not. I noticed the 1 downside though, they are really high in sodium so I only use them when I know I am going out. I looked and found another brand that is lower in sodium and has a wider variety of salts. I might try those out once we are done with our box of IVs.

If I drink two cups of water before bed I’m good. Of course when I’m plastered I never do this. 

In the event that I wake hungover I put on sweats, a hoodie and a skully and go running. It’s hell but after 10 minutes you feel better, after 20 you sweat out all the alcohol. 

That’s my cure. 20 minutes of hell sure beats feeling hungover all day and night. 

If I drink two cups of water before bed I’m good. Of course when I’m plastered I never do this. 

In the event that I wake hungover I put on sweats, a hoodie and a skully and go running. It’s hell but after 10 minutes you feel better, after 20 you sweat out all the alcohol. 

That’s my cure. 20 minutes of hell sure beats feeling hungover all day and night. 
That's the problem lol. The more you need the hydration, the less likely you become to take the proper steps. 

Users who are viewing this thread