What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

He should force a trade. Total waste last year. No reason to stay 
How does he force a trade? Sitting out? Then he doesnt get paid. I dont understand why this would be a reasonable option for him

Hes got 3,050,000 reasons to show up. By all accounts hes an overpaid 3rd string RB. Collect the checks for 2019 and then go be backup somewhere else in 2020.

Duke Johnson says nothing has changed and he still wants to be traded#Browns

— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) June 4, 2019

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio calls the Bucs a "team to watch" for Duke Johnson.

The Bucs certainly have one of the league's weakest backfields. There's a strong case to be made that it's the worst. Whether it actually is will depend on the sophomore progress of rookie flop Ronald Jones. Bucs coach Bruce Arians has typically preferred a one-man backfield, though he did recently unearth ex-Cardinals pass-catching back Andre Ellington, who was one of Arians' first draft picks in the desert.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Jul 11, 2019, 4:14 PM ET

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Duke Johnson will "have a significant role" on offense.

"We’ve said from the very beginning that Duke is a Cleveland Brown," Kitchens said during his opening press conference. "He’s going to be here, he’s going to have a role in our offense and he’s going to have a significant role in our offense. He’s a productive player. We’re not giving away good players." Despite the coach's consistent affirmation for Johnson, the reality is Duke's role is shot behind Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Best-case scenario would still be The U's all-time leading rusher landing elsewhere in a preseason player/pick swap.

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

Jul 25, 2019, 4:44 PM ET

Duke getting plenty of touches

After two days of camp, it appears as though Kitchens' and general manager John Dorsey's words about Duke Johnson weren't just lip service.

Johnson has seen a ton of reps in a variety of uses, both as a runner and a receiver out of the backfield. He and Nick Chubb were closer in the latter department Friday than Thursday, but it's very, very clear that the staff plans to utilize Johnson. He's definitely leading the running backs in volume of work so far.

He was even one of the guys back returning kicks during special teams periods Friday. For a player as talented as Johnson, it makes perfect sense to play him as much as possible.
This makes sense on many levels.

Duke truly looked good last year every time he was in the game.  Great blocking, receiving, and running.

Hunt won't be part of the team for at least the first half of the season so it makes tons of sense to utilize Duke and, quite frankly run him into the ground, use him up and then unleash the Kraken with fresh legs late in the year with the 'possibility' that Duke's value increases just as the trade deadline approaches.  

I think Duke has a real shot at giving solid fantasy value and he should come at a bargain since people think that OBJ is just going to gobble-up every pass attempt which is ridiculous.  Their will be plenty to go around and Duke's pass-pro will be used so he'll be on the field a lot more than people think/realize.

Browns RB Duke Johnson is sitting out Saturday's practice with an apparent hamstring injury.

It is the first day of padded practice for the Browns. Johnson did report to Browns camp on Wednesday despite vocalizing his preference to be traded. That stance led head coach Freddie Kitchens to say Johnson will "have a significant role" in the offense, a line we have heard many times before. To their credit, the Browns are doing a good job of maintaining value in Johnson, as it is clear the team will need solid compensation if they do end up trading the exciting back.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 10:44 AM ET

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora doesn't believe Duke Johnson will be traded until "the midseason trade deadline."

"Don't hold your breath for a Duke Johnson trade anytime soon" is the exact phrasing used by Canfora. Cleveland is reportedly all about "having as much veteran depth as possible" right now as backup Kareem Hunt continues dealing with a groin injury. Johnson would ideally get traded to an RB-needy high-octane offense (Ex: Bucs) in August, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. The former 'The U' product reminds out of camp with a nagging hamstring ailment.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Jul 29, 2019, 6:04 PM ET

Texans acquired Duke Johnson from the Browns in exchange for a conditional 2020 fourth-round pick.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the pick can become a third-rounder. The Browns had been adamant they would keep Johnson on the roster at least during Kareem Hunt's suspension, but the running back finally got the trade he has been after for months. In Houston, Johnson will slot in as the No. 2 back behind Lamar Miller. Given Miller's mediocrity to this point in his Texans career, there is a path for Johnson to be even more than that if he shows well. This trade is a boost to Johnson's fantasy value.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 AM ET

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

The #Browns got a fourth-rounder that can become a third rounder for Duke Johnson. If it does become a third, I believe it will be the highest RB compensation since Trent Richardson went for a first.

8:12 AM - 8 Aug 2019

----------------------------------

LA‏ @TheRealLA__

Duke is going to a good place for him, he should get opportunities in that offense

8:16 AM - 8 Aug 2019

-----------------------------------

JB‏ @jbrofford1

Replying to @RapSheet

Lamar Miller will be cut...dump almost $7 million in salary

8:15 AM - 8 Aug 2019 from Columbus, OH

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it as 2x dynasty owner. Has potential for a Dion Lewis / James White role in that offense. Gold in ppr. Guy just went from end of bench RB6 to high-end RB2. That's why you always value the player, not the situation.

Barring injury to Duke, the Browns will get the 3rd. Duke has to be on the active roster for 10 games to activate the 3rd round stipulation. Not a bad deal for somebody that wanted out of town.

Love it as 2x dynasty owner. Has potential for a Dion Lewis / James White role in that offense. Gold in ppr. Guy just went from end of bench RB6 to high-end RB2. That's why you always value the player, not the situation.
I would not say high-end RB2, although I think that is his ceiling.  I'd say flex, low-end RB2.  That range of outcomes is just find if you have two flex spots.

I figured they would trade him, but the destination could have been better. Houston doesn't pass to the backs very often. Well, it could have been worse. At least there's nobody keeping him off the field.

I would not say high-end RB2, although I think that is his ceiling.  I'd say flex, low-end RB2.  That range of outcomes is just find if you have two flex spots.
No one knows to what extent the Texans will use him. We do know this is a player you could design an entire route tree for, & by that I don’t mean let’s-dump-the-ball-to-Theo type plays. He’s had a 74 catch season, he’s topped 1K YFS, he’s scored as many as 7 TDs.

A guy who be will redrafted in the RB38-42 range who could easily end up RB 25-30 is a solid component of roster construction.

Hard not to see this as a big bump for Duke. How far and how long he rises is not clear.  He now has a 28 year old, pretty bad back between him and a lot of opportunity as opposed to two very young and talented backs.  

Folks, after careful consideration, I’ve changed my mind.

To the point that I just traded for Duke Johnson in my dynasty league.

At worst I believe he’ll be more valuable than he was in CLE. At best, this is a bet against Lamar Miller for 2019, and possible 2020 ~> if he shows well. 

It’s certainly possible the Texans draft a RB of the future, but in considering Johnson, they may already have him. 

I think he’s worth the gamble.

as for PPR redraft, I’m still not sure where to put his value. I’ll see what ADP looks like in 2 weeks when I draft & decide if he’s worth it.  :shrug:

At worst I believe he’ll be more valuable than he was in CLE. At best, this is a bet against Lamar Miller for 2019, and possible 2020 ~> if he shows well. 

It’s certainly possible the Texans draft a RB of the future, but in considering Johnson, they may already have him. 

as for PPR redraft, I’m still not sure where to put his value. I’ll see what ADP looks like in 2 weeks when I draft & decide if he’s worth it.  :shrug:
What did you trade for him?

Any update on where he is going in redrafts or bestballs? He was something like 9th to 12th before. I can see him climbing to the 7th or 8th now but am curious to hear from people firsthand.

What did you trade for him?
Package deal with KeeSean Johnson for a 2021 1st. Also bear in mind that my roster was thin, after shooting my wad on Hopkins, Kamara & Mahomes. 

I needed the deal more than my trade partner so I likely overpaid a bit. 

Any update on where he is going in redrafts or bestballs? He was something like 9th to 12th before. I can see him climbing to the 7th or 8th now but am curious to hear from people firsthand.
I rank him as a late 6th, early 7th if he’s 100% by week 3 of the preseason. 

He may climb higher on hype & speculation about Miller’s mediocrity  though. 

I dont know what you paid for Duke but I do think he is a buy.

Duke will be 26 years old in September. Historically RB are at their most productive in their first six seasons. This will be Dukes 5th year in the league. He still has two years remaining of his prime performing seasons.

As you mention Miller will be 28 years old this season. It will be his 8th year in the league. He is past the 6 year window where RB perform at their best already and may be headed for decline. Miller is a free agent next season and he may not be retained.

So it is entirely possible that Duke becomes the Texans lead RB in 2020 if he performs well for them this season.

I would still expect some form of time share even if Miller is gone and Duke becomes their main guy, but Duke Johnson has been one of the most efficient receiving RB in the league during his career so far. He had 74 receptions in 2017. With more opportunity he could surpass that and be a very valuable RB in PPR formats.

I dont know what you paid for Duke but I do think he is a buy.

Duke will be 26 years old in September. Historically RB are at their most productive in their first six seasons. This will be Dukes 5th year in the league. He still has two years remaining of his prime performing seasons.

As you mention Miller will be 28 years old this season. It will be his 8th year in the league. He is past the 6 year window where RB perform at their best already and may be headed for decline. Miller is a free agent next season and he may not be retained.

So it is entirely possible that Duke becomes the Texans lead RB in 2020 if he performs well for them this season.

I would still expect some form of time share even if Miller is gone and Duke becomes their main guy, but Duke Johnson has been one of the most efficient receiving RB in the league during his career so far. He had 74 receptions in 2017. With more opportunity he could surpass that and be a very valuable RB in PPR formats.
Also it occurs to me that Johnson has low mileage, so theoretically you could say he has more like 3 peak years left. Maybe even 4. Not a lot of punishment on that chassis. 

See above for what I (over) paid

I think there is some metit to the low mileage perspective in regards to Johnson. I just would not expect him to suddenly become a 300 touch player sans Miller. I think he will always be on some form of a pitch count.

A reception is about 2.5 times more valuable than a rushing attempt is. So where Duke shines is very valuable in PPR format. Also as far as longevity goes, a RB who is doing most of their damage as a receiver should be able to continue doing that longer into their career, like WR do,

Dukes numbers took a bit of a hit last season, but I think that is mostly due to Jarvis Landry eating into his opportunities. He still had 9.1 ypr which is great for a RB.

Just looking at the career ypr for some of the best receiving RB in the league in recent years.

David Johnson 10.8 ypr

Todd Gurley 10.1 ypr

Alvin Kamara 9.5 ypr

Duke Johnson 9.2 ypr

James White 8.7 ypr

Tarik Cohen 8.7 ypr

LeVeon Bell 8.5 ypr

Christian McCaffrey 8.1 ypr

Sanquon Barkley 7.9 ypr

Promoting Duke to lead back would be an example of the Peter Principle.  I don't see it happening.  He doesn't have the size or rushing skills to be a 3 down back.  2018's 5.0 ypc looks good on paper but a lot of those rushes are in hurry up offense when the defense is playing prevent and daring the offense to run.  He is what he is.  He is a passing down back.   And Lamar Miller ain't no slouch.  He isn't a sexy fantasy back but that is probably the fault of their offensive line.  PFF gave Miller a run grade of 80.3 last year.  Miller being a blue collar runner on early downs and Duke playing the passing downs is a good combination.

Hopefully, Duke can match his 2017 stats.  But it will be difficult on the Texans.  Duke's only competition on the 2017 Browns was Isaiah Crowell.  Duke ended up with 52% of snaps and played quite a few 1st and 2nd downs.  46 of his 74 receptions came on 1st and 2nd down.  Last year, Duke played 42% of snaps and had 26 receptions on 1st and 2nd downs.  Running backs get far more receptions on 1st and 2nd downs in today's NFL.  Passing downs are for downfield throws.  Also. Deshaun Watson is mobile and has arm talent with vertical throws.  He will be able to scramble and look to throw downfield or run when under pressure.  He doesn't need Duke as a safety valve.  Duke would have been a better match with an less mobile quarterback like Jameis Winston.  I'm sure Duke will have some scripted receiving plays and will still get a decent amount of receptions.  But him matching his 2018's 42% of snaps and 46 receptions is more realistic than him matching 2017's 52% of snaps and 74 receptions.  His one hope is that Bill O'Brien will give him some early down work to keep him happy.

I agree with most of that Don for the 2019 season. As you see in the quote I was talking about the 2020 season with that comment.

Promoting Duke to lead back would be an example of the Peter Principle.  I don't see it happening.  He doesn't have the size or rushing skills to be a 3 down back.  2018's 5.0 ypc looks good on paper but a lot of those rushes are in hurry up offense when the defense is playing prevent and daring the offense to run.  He is what he is.  He is a passing down back.   And Lamar Miller ain't no slouch.  He isn't a sexy fantasy back but that is probably the fault of their offensive line.  PFF gave Miller a run grade of 80.3 last year.  Miller being a blue collar runner on early downs and Duke playing the passing downs is a good combination.

Hopefully, Duke can match his 2017 stats.  But it will be difficult on the Texans.  Duke's only competition on the 2017 Browns was Isaiah Crowell.  Duke ended up with 52% of snaps and played quite a few 1st and 2nd downs.  46 of his 74 receptions came on 1st and 2nd down.  Last year, Duke played 42% of snaps and had 26 receptions on 1st and 2nd downs.  Running backs get far more receptions on 1st and 2nd downs in today's NFL.  Passing downs are for downfield throws.  Also. Deshaun Watson is mobile and has arm talent with vertical throws.  He will be able to scramble and look to throw downfield or run when under pressure.  He doesn't need Duke as a safety valve.  Duke would have been a better match with an less mobile quarterback like Jameis Winston.  I'm sure Duke will have some scripted receiving plays and will still get a decent amount of receptions.  But him matching his 2018's 42% of snaps and 46 receptions is more realistic than him matching 2017's 52% of snaps and 74 receptions.  His one hope is that Bill O'Brien will give him some early down work to keep him happy.
Don’t sell him short, Lamar Miller is a tremendous slouch. 

/caddyshack

This is part of what changed my mind on Johnson’s value. 

At worst he’ll likely be more productive than he was in CLE, which in PPR is already a weekly flex play with a decent ceiling.

but according to the coach, they envision using him a lot more. And there are a lot of receptions for him - Watson has never had a capable weapon out of the backfield. 

Should be at least a little bit exciting for owners/prospective owners. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/11/bill-obrien-texans-have-a-vision-for-how-to-use-duke-johnson/

according to the coach, they envision using him a lot more.
I think that is a classic example of coachspeak.  Duke was unhappy that he wasn't given the chance to be the main ball carrier in Cleveland.  O'Brien isn't going to be honest and say that the Texans are also not going to give him that opportunity even before Duke's plane has landed in Houston.

Don’t sell him short, Lamar Miller is a tremendous slouch. 

/caddyshack
Agreed!  I would rather have 2017 Crowell over 2019 Miller. Which means that Duke has a good chance to get 50% of the touches/looks in this offense even if Miller remains the official starter. In PPR, Duke will be a flex at worst and a RB2 if things go his way.

I dont know how serious the injury to Keeke Coute is but if he were to miss a lot of games Duke Johnson is capable of playing the slot and I could see some plays where both he and Miller are on the field at the same time. Duke was doing more of this in 2017 because the Browns WR sucked so bad.

I think that is a classic example of coachspeak.  Duke was unhappy that he wasn't given the chance to be the main ball carrier in Cleveland.  O'Brien isn't going to be honest and say that the Texans are also not going to give him that opportunity either before Duke's plane has even landed.
You may well be right about the coachspeak. But given that HOU gave up at least a fourth and possibly a third to get Duke suggests that the team does have plans to use him.  You don't give that up for a guy who is just a back-up and COP.

Words cannot express how much I love that Duke finally got traded. I hope he sets a new career high for carries this season. He's obviously a better receiver than runner, but he deserved more carries in Cleveland for sure.

You may well be right about the coachspeak. But given that HOU gave up at least a fourth and possibly a third to get Duke suggests that the team does have plans to use him.  You don't give that up for a guy who is just a back-up and COP.
Yeah, I don't think they want to just use him as a pass-catching specialist. I think they really do want to give him more carries and use him effectively behind Lamar.

I am a bit nervous about it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for sure.

GO DUKE!!!

I think that is a classic example of coachspeak.  Duke was unhappy that he wasn't given the chance to be the main ball carrier in Cleveland.  O'Brien isn't going to be honest and say that the Texans are also not going to give him that opportunity even before Duke's plane has landed in Houston.
Not for a 3rd round pick. And let’s be honest here, thats virtually a lock. 

No way this is all just coachsoeak. They need someone to catch the ball. Even with healthy WRs last year, per that article the difference between Hopkins & the next receiver was 56 receptions, the greatest disparity in the NFL. 

Texans need someone to throw the ball to. Duke Johnson will catch the ball in HOU.

Lamar Miller has simply not been effective & he’s been getting dinged up more and more. 

I agree that Duke won’t get 300 touches, but 200 or 225 wouldn’t shock me. 

Not for a 3rd round pick. And let’s be honest here, thats virtually a lock. 

No way this is all just coachsoeak. They need someone to catch the ball. Even with healthy WRs last year, per that article the difference between Hopkins & the next receiver was 56 receptions, the greatest disparity in the NFL. 

Texans need someone to throw the ball to. Duke Johnson will catch the ball in HOU.

Lamar Miller has simply not been effective & he’s been getting dinged up more and more. 

I agree that Duke won’t get 300 touches, but 200 or 225 wouldn’t shock me. 
Jeez, 200+ touches would be dope. I am such a huge fan of Duke. I really hope that happens.

I dont know how serious the injury to Keeke Coute is but if he were to miss a lot of games Duke Johnson is capable of playing the slot and I could see some plays where both he and Miller are on the field at the same time. Duke was doing more of this in 2017 because the Browns WR sucked so bad.
Keke (not spelled like it sounds) says it’s a minor setback, NBD, but BOB said he “won’t be back soon.” Playing it by ear but def our at least one week. I think he’ll be held out of games but good to go for Week 1 (NOTE: IMO.) Both Hopkins and Watson said he’s made major strides in development, especially in making the correct reads to adjust his patterns. 

Texans don’t use TEs much, Miller has never commanded many targets, so I’m thinking Keke and Duke coexist fine. Even with DeAndre taking his 27% market share and Fuller the deeper routes, should be plenty of targets for both.

But we won’t really know until it plays out.

Keke (not spelled like it sounds) says it’s a minor setback, NBD, but BOB said he “won’t be back soon.” Playing it by ear but def our at least one week. I think he’ll be held out of games but good to go for Week 1 (NOTE: IMO.) Both Hopkins and Watson said he’s made major strides in development, especially in making the correct reads to adjust his patterns. 

Texans don’t use TEs much, Miller has never commanded many targets, so I’m thinking Keke and Duke coexist fine. Even with DeAndre taking his 27% market share and Fuller the deeper routes, should be plenty of targets for both.

I also get the impression they’d like to have Watson run a little less, reduce risk. 

Having an elite receiving back can certainly help take that pressure off of a QB by giving them a dump-off option instead of immediately looking to run. 

Thanks for the info on the young promising slot receiver.

Mostly just wanted to point out that Duke can be used in this way and it could lead to more opportunities for him because of that. Part of why the Texans were willing to pay the price they did for him.

Browns playing moneyball with the team friendly contract too. Never quite understood why he signed that.

I think the addition of Landry had as much to do with Duke wanting out of Cleveland as Hunt or Chubb. Duke knows he can do more for an NFL offense than what the Browns have been letting him. He is a talented player.

So slight meant to Mayfield who had a historically good rookie season, but I think Duke got a massive upgrade at QB compared to the guys he has been playing with as well.

Users who are viewing this thread