What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
My daughter asked me a few days ago if we were going to the new D&D movie but I told her I thought the trailer looked horrendous.

She agreed but suggested I look at Rotten Tomatoes. I did and holy hell, both critics and audiences seem to love it.

So the wife, my daughter and myself took in the movie this afternoon and we all thought it was really enjoyable.

It reminded me a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy 1, in that it was so much better than it had any right to be.

Good story, fun cameo, lots of in jokes and stuff if you are into D&D....a nice way to spend a couple of hours even if not.

Solid 8 out of 10 for me.

Definitely in to watch this, maybe even tonight.

I've heard that while there is plenty of humor, it's not all wink-to-the-camera style that eventually wore out on me with Marvel.

Definitely in to watch this, maybe even tonight.

I've heard that while there is plenty of humor, it's not all wink-to-the-camera style that eventually wore out on me with Marvel.
there is plenty of humor. Some works great, some is just meh.

I think I’ll make time to see this one. I played D&D, but was never huge into it. I like the genre.

There’s a Prime series Vox Machina that I highly recommend if you liked this movie. Very well done series that’s funny and just really, really good.

I think I’ll make time to see this one. I played D&D, but was never huge into it. I like the genre.

There’s a Prime series Vox Machina that I highly recommend if you liked this movie. Very well done series that’s funny and just really, really good.
Vox Machina is a great condensed version of Critical Role, the most popular D&D entertainment on the innerwebs.

I remember watching the D&D movie from the 90s with Jeremy Irons. It was so terrible that I am hesitant to watch this one.

I remember watching the D&D movie from the 90s with Jeremy Irons. It was so terrible that I am hesitant to watch this one.

I saw that movie as well. I rated that about a 4 out of 10 in comparison to this which I rated an 8. The quality difference between the two is HUGE.

My whole family loves this show. Just a perfect blend of being adult and funny and staying in tune with the genre.

Vox Machina is a great condensed version of Critical Role, the most popular D&D entertainment on the innerwebs.
I had no idea about that, pretty damn cool.

I had no idea about that, pretty damn cool.

Let me give you a rough, brief history because it is really cool

* A group of people who all work in the voice acting industry became friendly and started playing d&d in a home game

* They decided to start streaming their gaming sessions

* They slowly grew their audience on twitch and youtube until they became a hit

* They decided to branch out and turn the campaign into an animated series.

* To fund the series, they held a kickstarter campaign with a goal of $750k

* They raised an amazing $11.3m with kickstarter

* Amazon saw this and quickly jumped on board

* Since all the players are professional voice actors, they voice all the characters in the tv show.

* Critical Role is now an important brand in the gaming space with multiple products.

Solid 8.5/10. Definitely turn the brain off and enjoy. They did manage to slip some nice references in there. Portal, Monty Python, and many that I'm sure I missed.

The only thing I didn't like was the $35 for two tickets. Good grief.

Last edited:

I'm a Viva La Dirt League guy myself. While they take on all sorts of gaming, they are running a campaign in its second year. The DM is very good, and while the players admit to not being very good at D&D, they are very good at getting into their characters.

I took my oldest kid to see this when it was still running previews before the official opening. I kept noticing that everyone else was coming into the theater in groups of four or five dudes with neckbeards. Sometimes there was a lone woman among them. And I realized that I was seeing every in-person D&D gaming group in the Syracuse area.

I thought it did a nice job striking a pretty delicate balance of having just enough worldbuilding to please the core gaming audience without overwhelming the world in lore. So you get a bit of Neverwinter. A bit of the Underdark. A bit on the Red Wizards of Thay and the Harpers. But really just enough to add some color to the world. And the episodic nature of the script does give the feel of the campaign.

I think those choices make it a nice, light entertainment, but probably limits its appeal as a tentpole franchise starter.

talking to D&D buddies about seeing it.

However, I would love a movie where it starts out at the table, but as the story begins we zoom into the world. Then throughout the movie, at major decision points the characters kind of wait and then we see the roll. From there the scene plays out with whatever the roll hit at...good or bad. Something that really breaks the 4th wall.

However, I would love a movie where it starts out at the table, but as the story begins we zoom into the world. Then throughout the movie, at major decision points the characters kind of wait and then we see the roll. From there the scene plays out with whatever the roll hit at...good or bad. Something that really breaks the 4th wall.
@hagmania can you recommend.... I dunno... maybe a web series for glvsav to watch that would cover this?

@hagmania can you recommend.... I dunno... maybe a web series for glvsav to watch that would cover this?
It was a great concept. Execution, eh.

My daughter asked me a few days ago if we were going to the new D&D movie but I told her I thought the trailer looked horrendous.

She agreed but suggested I look at Rotten Tomatoes. I did and holy hell, both critics and audiences seem to love it.

So the wife, my daughter and myself took in the movie this afternoon and we all thought it was really enjoyable.

It reminded me a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy 1, in that it was so much better than it had any right to be.

Good story, fun cameo, lots of in jokes and stuff if you are into D&D....a nice way to spend a couple of hours even if not.

I didn't like it as much as Guardians, but it completely exceeded my expectations. I'd give it probably a 9.

I didn't like it as much as Guardians, but it completely exceeded my expectations. I'd give it probably a 9.

To be clear, I was not saying it was as good as GOG 1, just that it was a surprise like GOG 1 was.

Futurama did that pretty well.

I remember your web series, it was great for what t was...but no offense, I'd love a big budget, dragons and spells special effects with this type of storytelling.

I remember your web series, it was great for what t was...but no offense, I'd love a big budget, dragons and spells special effects with this type of storytelling.
Trust me, there's no one more disappointed in the final product than yours truly.

Trust me, there's no one more disappointed in the final product than yours truly.

I think it is super cool that you did that. Major kudos to you.

Off-topic but besides enjoying your web series I was also a fan of one of its sponsors - the Green Dragon in Murfreesboro. Not sure how you connected with them but I was sad they closed up shop.

Man, I was stoked for this movie as was my wife since we were both fans of the 80s animated show, but that trailer looked pretty bad and I was going to skip this movie until seeing this thread. Thanks, FBGs. Will try to catch it at the theater.

Man, I was stoked for this movie as was my wife since we were both fans of the 80s animated show, but that trailer looked pretty bad and I was going to skip this movie until seeing this thread. Thanks, FBGs. Will try to catch it at the theater.
My brother and I LOVED that animated show and were crushed when it disappeared. Is it on any streaming service? Would love to re watch it, along with Star Blazers. 😀

My brother and I LOVED that animated show and were crushed when it disappeared. Is it on any streaming service? Would love to re watch it, along with Star Blazers. 😀
I have both of those on DVD :)

I am an enormous Star Blazers fan. The remake they did recently was excellent as well.

what was the name of the series again, I'd love to go back and watch it.

You can watch it all on YT for free

* A group of people who all work in the voice acting industry became friendly and started playing d&d in a home game

* Since all the players are professional voice actors, they voice all the characters in the tv show.

* Critical Role is now an important brand in the gaming space with multiple products.
Well, that's totally awesome.

I am an enormous Star Blazers fan. The remake they did recently was excellent as well.
I have a blu-ray I haven't watched yet. I put it on in my truck and the DVD didn't have a subtitle setting. It was in Japanese! I'm trying to get artist Joey Feldman to do a Star Blazers series. I'll let youknow if he does it.

Nice and interesting timeline, thanks. So does Amazon own Paramount or they "jumped in" as a partner or something on this particular project? I know they own MGM and their "library" (vault, if you will), but can you give more specifics on that part?

And who or what is Critical Role and the tie-in there? I only saw that mentioned on your last bullet point. Google says that it's the voice-over group, I see. Does Amazon have a piece of that pie?

I know absolutely nothing about D&D, btw, so thanks. Oh, and is it safe to say there will be sequels?

Nice and interesting timeline, thanks. So does Amazon own Paramount or they "jumped in" as a partner or something on this particular project? I know they own MGM and their "library" (vault, if you will), but can you give more specifics on that part?

And who or what is Critical Role and the tie-in there? I only saw that mentioned on your last bullet point. Google says that it's the voice-over group, I see. Does Amazon have a piece of that pie?

I know absolutely nothing about D&D, btw, so thanks. Oh, and is it safe to say there will be sequels?

Paramount is owned by MTV Entertainment group. There is no business tie between MTV Entertainment and Amazon that I am aware of.

Note that Amazon does own Twitch, which is the platform Critical Role used to gain popularity.

The Legend of Vox Machina has already aired season 2. Amazon has also renewed for season 3. I am unaware of what else may be in the pipeline

As far as I know, Critical Role controls themselves right now from a business aspect.

=================

For those that don't yet understand the name of the group, Vox Machina roughly translates to Voice Machine. It is a nod to the fact that the group of friends are all voice actors.

I have a blu-ray I haven't watched yet. I put it on in my truck and the DVD didn't have a subtitle setting. It was in Japanese! I'm trying to get artist Joey Feldman to do a Star Blazers series. I'll let youknow if he does it.

I thought all the Blurays all had english sub titles for Yamato 2199 (assuming that is what you are talking about). Where did you get the bluray from?

Please note that this is the Japanese version even if you get the subtitles. You are not going to see the names you remember from when you are a kid when the English dub Americanize it all.

It will be interesting if Amazon picks up the new campaign or if they'll order continuing adventures of Vox Machina.

Users who are viewing this thread