What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Durham investigation into potential spying on Trump (1 Viewer)

Wow. I remember when doubting the Russian story made one a KooK. Surely the bad orange man wasn't getting spied on by the odious characters in the Clinton/Deep State ambit, but rather, he had managed to outwit even the Deep State by forging ties with Russia that nobody else could. He was owned by Russia because he peed on models servicing him, I remember. Or something. 

Love how he calls for "punishment by death in a stronger period" of our nation's history. He's such a clod. Like this guy was in cahoots with the Russians and nobody could get to him. Yeah, right. 

Let's just let 2016-2020 go and hit a reset button. Clinton was so corrupt and Comey was right to out her server. Trump is a clod and would-be dictator who mean Tweets. Out to pasture with both, please. 

If Donald Trump wasn’t the “victim” here, this would be a huge scandal.  Not one mention of it on the Sunday morning talk shows.
Indeed. I can't really parse whether there's proof or not, or just a court filing, though. I'm not exactly sure what the story is and I read the original Business Insider article the Yahoo! articles were based upon. 

By the way, this doesn't surprise me at all if it turns out to be true. A lot of times when Trump had an inkling of some malfeasance towards him, he has been right. He's sort of named names like Canseco did in the steroid scandal, a figure that @GordonGekkoreminds us of every so often. 

Bigger than Watergate!!!!11!!
So after years of claiming the previous administration or his current one was spying on him, it was just allegedly some tech executive taking advantage of some services they were providing? Doesn't seem like there is a lot on this burger.

In the court filing, Durham wrote that he has evidence Sussmann’s other client, “Technology Executive-1,” exploited Internet traffic data on “(i) a particular healthcare provider, (ii) Trump Tower, (iii) Donald Trump’s Central Park West apartment building, and (iv) the Executive Office of the President of the United States (EOP).”

“Technology Executive-1” was previously reported by CNN to be former Neustar senior vice president Rodney Joffe, while the health-care provider was likely Spectrum Health, according to the Washington Examiner.

Durham reportedly wrote that “Internet Company-1” accessed “dedicated servers for the EOP as part of a sensitive arrangement whereby it provided DNS resolution services to the EOP.”

Why Trump is once again claiming that he was spied upon in 2016

By Philip Bump

National correspondent

Today at 3:40 p.m. EST

It started with a tweet from President Donald Trump in early March 2017.

“Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory,” he wrote. “Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!”

It was a wild claim — and one that was soon debunked. The primary rationale for Trump’s tweet, it seems, was a story published by Breitbart News that attempted to summarize a broadcast by right-wing radio host Mark Levin. As a way of conveying the credibility that assertion deserves, the Breitbart story included two references to claims about surveillance warrants made by columnist Louise Mensch, whose claims about various things have repeatedly been shown to be meritless. Trump’s allies quickly tried to backstop his tweet by elevating activity that, if you squinted and plugged your ears, could seem like maybe it constituted wiretapping.

“I was proven right about the spying,” he said in one of his Twitteresque “statements” from his office, “and I will be proven right about 2020.”

It’s a useful parallel, in fact, comparing his claims about having been spied on with his claims about fraud in the 2020 election. In neither case has any such thing been proved despite, as always, the robust effort by his allies to provide some foundation to Trump’s unfounded claims.

The prompt for Trump’s claim is a court filing submitted on Friday. It combines several interesting threads from the Trump era to make one relatively vague allegation, an allegation then misrepresented by some of Trump’s most fervent allies as dispositive. Bear with me as I explain those threads briefly.

You’ll recall that Trump’s core complaint as president was that the investigation into Russian interference and possible overlap with his campaign was unfounded. It wasn’t, involving probes into a number of individuals with obvious links to Russian actors. But Trump and his allies crafted a countervailing narrative centered on malfeasance by government officials — again, a claim downstream from Trump’s initial response to reports about the probe in which he asserted that government officials might be out to get him.

Eventually, Trump’s loyal-until-almost-the-end attorney general William P. Barr appointed U.S. Attorney John Durham to serve as special counsel to investigate the Russia investigation. The Friday filing came from Durham, centered on his examination of a rumor that emerged shortly before the 2016 election in which it was alleged that there was a secret back-channel communication between a Russian bank, Alfa Bank, and a Trump Organization email server.

When that allegation was first reported in October 2016, it was pretty obviously unfounded. I wrote about the various ways in which the idea didn’t pass the smell test, from the theoretical — why leave any trail at all if you’re trying to secretly communicate with Russia? — to the technical, given that the Trump Organization server wasn’t controlled by Trump at all. Others, like technologist Rob Graham, reached a similar conclusion: that this was probably just a glitchy side effect of marketing emails.

Last year, Durham unveiled an indictment against an attorney named Michael Sussman centered on the Alfa Bank rumor. Durham claimed that Sussman had lied to an FBI official in September 2016 when trying to get the FBI to investigate the connection, saying he was not working for a specific client as he offered the tip. The allegation is that this was a false statement of the sort that tripped up various Trump allies during the Russia probe: that Sussman was, in fact, working for the campaign of Hillary Clinton. As journalist Marcy Wheeler has written, the criminal case is not terribly strong.

The theory behind the Alfa Bank rumor is complicated. Sussman’s law firm, Perkins Coie, had been retained by Clinton’s campaign (leading it, separately, to engage the investigative firm Fusion GPS that later generated the infamous dossier of reports alleging a more robust connection between Russia and Trump’s team). An unidentified individual first noticed traffic between the Trump server and the Russian bank and brought it to an executive at a technology firm who had retained Perkins Coie and was working with Sussman. (Wheeler has an excellent timeline of all of this.) That triggered an effort to examine the scope of those connections, one that at least some of those involved in the research apparently understood to be an effort to create a jumping-off point for further research that could bolster a Trump-Russia narrative. (The tech executive, I’ll note, wasn’t sold on the Alfa-Trump link even back in August 2016.) Durham’s filing ties the campaign to Sussman and Sussman to the executive, but it’s not explicitly argued that the probe flowed down from Clinton’s team — or up to it.

Remember that in July 2016, there was already attention focused on possible links between Trump and Russia. The prior month, Russian actors had been implicated in stealing material from the Democratic National Committee, material that was released by WikiLeaks at the end of July. Trump’s allies have in the past tried to point to the Clinton campaign’s focus on amplifying that connection as the trigger for the Russia probe when, in reality, that focus came only after the political conversation emerged. There’s no indication that the Alfa Bank probe preceded the Clinton campaign’s public discussion of possible Trump-Russia ties — and there was certainly reason to pay attention to a possible digital connection between the two.

Now the technical stuff. At issue here are what are called domain name server (DNS) lookups. Traffic on the Internet is pushed around between points identified with Internet protocol (IP) addresses, strings of numbers that might be thought of like latitude and longitude in real-world positioning. In the real world, we don’t generally point people to latitude and longitude coordinates but to street addresses. On the Internet, we don’t generally go to IP addresses but domains. A DNS lookup converts a domain like washingtonpost.com to this newspaper’s actual Web server IP address.

The traffic between Alfa Bank and the Trump email server — actually run by a company called Cendyn that does a lot of hospitality-industry marketing work — consisted of DNS lookups. The Alfa Bank server was trying to find domain information for trump-email.com (the domain at issue) and the lookups were being logged.

It’s important here to know why those records might have been collected. An expert on the technology with whom I spoke on Monday explained that Internet service providers often allow third parties to collect domain name lookups because the information is useful for tracking bad actors on the Internet. If, for example, there are suddenly a number of lookups to we11sfargo.com, with ones replacing the Ls in the domain name, that might suggest some effort to redirect traffic away from the bank to some spoof site. Or organizations might similarly have a passive DNS collection process in place so that they might know if there’s a sudden spike in lookups for unusual servers in, say, Russia — an early indication that maybe someone is trying to run a scam targeting employees.

This brings us to the court filing that was submitted on Friday. In it, Durham extends his articulation of what allegedly happened as the Alfa Bank rumor was being developed behind closed doors. The key element of the document centers on the DNS data that was being looked at:

The Government’s evidence at trial will also establish that among the Internet data Tech Executive-1 and his associates exploited was domain name system (“DNS”) Internet traffic pertaining to (i) a particular healthcare provider, (ii) Trump Tower, (iii) Donald Trump’s Central Park West apartment building, and (iv) the Executive Office of the President of the United States (“EOP”). (Tech Executive-1’s employer, Internet Company-1, had come to access and maintain dedicated servers for the EOP as part of a sensitive arrangement whereby it provided DNS resolution services to the EOP. Tech Executive-1 and his associates exploited this arrangement by mining the EOP’s DNS traffic and other data for the purpose of gathering derogatory information about Donald Trump.)

The “particular healthcare provider” is apparently Spectrum Health, which — when the story first emerged in 2016 — was identified as similarly linked to the Trump email server but also provided reporters with the marketing spam emails that explained that connection.

It’s useful to note that Durham’s claim about data being “exploited” emerged early. Both Wheeler and Graham elevated questions about the ethics of digging through collected DNS records to investigate something that was probably outside of any agreement governing what the data was being collected for. But that doesn’t mean 1) that any laws were violated or 2) that this constitutes “hacking.” If I give you a key to my house and you use it to come in and read my diary, I will certainly be angry with you, but it’s not like you committed burglary.

Yet that’s how the paragraph above has at times been conveyed. On Fox News, for example, a story about the Durham filing ran with the headline “Clinton campaign paid to ‘infiltrate’ Trump Tower, White House servers to link Trump to Russia: Durham.” There are a few problems with this, including that the connection between Clinton’s team and the Perkins Coie Alfa Bank investigation is not direct, nor did Durham use the word “infiltrate,” a word that suggests illicit access to data.

Instead, both of those claims come not from Durham but, as the article makes clear, from former Trump staffer Kash Patel. It’s a statement from Patel that makes the Clinton claim and uses the word infiltrate. It’s Patel — whose recent career has often centered on backstopping Trump’s claims of being unfairly investigated — who drew the line that Fox is attributing to the special counsel.

Durham describes an effort to impugn Trump by claiming that during a meeting with a government agency in February 2017, Sussman alleged that DNS lookups “demonstrated that Trump and/or his associates were using supposedly rare, Russian-made wireless phones in the vicinity of the White House and other locations.” This doesn’t support a throughline back to Clinton, of course, since Trump wasn’t spending much time at the White House while Clinton was still a presidential candidate. Durham’s filing asserts that the lookups centered on those phones went back to 2014, when Trump wasn’t even yet a candidate."

That Washington Post article is atrocious.  This country is ####ed.  There is no truth anymore, just partisan hackery and spinning.

More important to spend three paragraphs complaining about the word “infiltrate” then - you know - getting yo the real crux of the matter.  When the nation’s elite media start behaving like the FBG Political Forum you know we are screwed. 😆

Oh well, thought it was interesting.  Personally I hate Trump so I guess I shouldn’t care, right?

That Washington Post article is atrocious.  This country is ####ed.  There is no truth anymore, just partisan hackery and spinning.
Atrocious how?  It directly refutes the claims being made by the other right wing sources.  You complain about source police…them basically do that while dismissing the WashPo article?

I’m not sure I’m the one who has to make the argument.  It’s pretty clear that Trump was spied upon.  If you want to refute that you’re more than welcome.  Better do a lot of stretching first.
I did. I posted the relevant article, which you clearly didn't read. 

It was 'atrocious', I would love to know what you thought might have been so atrocious about it. 

It was atrocious because it refuted claims of spying made by another news outlet.
A lot of gymnastics and connecting some almost invisible dots…..gets so complicated everyone on Team Trump will just take Levin and Trump’s word and say yes that is really terrible.( but hey don’t ask me to explain how.)

A lot of gymnastics and connecting some almost invisible dots…..gets so complicated everyone on Team Trump will just take Levin and Trump’s word and say yes that is really terrible.( but hey don’t ask me to explain how.)

Bongino was on Fox this AM, mentioned this went back to Obama and said listen to his podcast where we will explain it all "We've got the receipts!"  I feel sorry for anyone that 1) listens to his podcasts and 2) considers him legit news.

Special Counsel John Durham reportedly said in a new court filing that a technology executive working with a Clinton-tied lawyer accessed White House servers as well as Internet data for Trump Tower and elsewhere
lol and this is coming from a woman who had the world believing she didn't know she could have 2 email accounts on the same phone. 

By the way, this doesn't surprise me at all if it turns out to be true. A lot of times when Trump had an inkling of some malfeasance towards him, he has been right. He's sort of named names like Canseco did in the steroid scandal, a figure that @GordonGekkoreminds us of every so often. 
Well if you throw enough #### against the wall some is going to stick. Eternal victim (Mr “Unfair”) Trump is bound to be correct about actually being the victim eventually.  

I have no interest in parsing words with you guys.  He was clearly spied on - by any measure of the word.  Whether the nature of the spying was hacking or criminal - I never claimed that and to be honest it’s way to soon in the investigation to say one way or the other.

Well if you throw enough #### against the wall some is going to stick. Eternal victim (Mr “Unfair”) Trump is bound to be correct about actually being the victim eventually.  
Blind squirrel - nut…. But lost in all of this is some pretty shady #### having been done by the Clinton campaign.

from the Wall Street Journal just now…

Trump Really Was Spied On

Durham says techies linked to the Clinton campaign had access to White House and Trump Tower internet data.

Special Counsel John Durham continues to unravel the Trump-Russia “collusion” story, and his latest court disclosure contains startling information. According to a Friday court filing, the 2016 Hillary Clinton campaign effort to compile dirt on Donald Trump reached into protected White House communications.

The filing relates to Mr. Durham’s September indictment of Michael Sussmann, a lawyer who represented the Clinton campaign while he worked for the Perkins Coie law firm. Mr. Sussmann is accused of lying to the FBI at a September 2016 meeting when he presented documents claiming to show secret internet communications between the Trump Organization and Russia-based Alfa Bank. The indictment says Mr. Sussmann falsely told the FBI he was presenting this information solely as a good citizen—failing to disclose his ties to the Clinton campaign. (He has pleaded not guilty.)

The indictment revealed that Mr. Sussmann worked with “Tech Executive-1,” who has been identified as Rodney Joffe, formerly of Neustar Inc. The indictment says Mr. Joffe used his companies, as well as researchers at a U.S. university, to access internet data, which he used to gather information about Mr. Trump’s communications. 

Mr. Durham says Mr. Joffe’s “goal” was to create an “inference” and “narrative” about Mr. Trump that would “please certain ‘VIPs,’ referring to individuals at [Perkins Coie] and the Clinton Campaign.”

The new shocker relates to the data Mr. Joffe and friends were mining. According to Friday’s filing, as early as July 2016 Mr. Joffe was “exploit[ing]” his “access to non-public and/or proprietary Internet data,” including “Internet traffic pertaining to . . . the Executive Office of the President of the United States (“EOP”).” 

The filing explains that Mr. Joffe’s employer “had come to access and maintain dedicated servers for the EOP as part of a sensitive arrangement whereby it provided [internet services]” to the White House. Mr. Joffe’s team also was monitoring internet traffic related to Trump Tower, and Mr. Trump’s apartment on Central Park West.

White House communications are supposed to be secure, and the notion that any contractor—much less one with ties to a presidential campaign—could access them is alarming enough. The implication that the data was exploited for a political purpose is a scandal that requires investigation under oath.

The filing suggests the data collection continued into the Trump Presidency. Mr. Durham says that on Feb. 9, 2017, Mr. Sussmann met with a second federal agency (“Agency-2”) to provide “an updated set of allegations,” and that these “allegations relied, in part, on the purported [internet traffic] that [Mr. Joffe] and others had assembled pertaining to Trump Tower, Donald Trump’s New York City apartment building, the EOP” and a healthcare provider. 

(Late Monday a spokesperson for Mr. Joffe said in a statement that “contrary to the allegations in this recent filing, Mr. Joffe is an apolitical internet security expert with decades of service to the U.S Government who has never worked for a political party.” The statement added that “there were serious and legitimate national security concerns about Russian attempts to infiltrate the 2016 election” and that “respected cyber-security researchers were deeply concerned about the anomalies they found in the data and prepared a report of their findings, which was subsequently shared with the CIA.”) That could certainly use some elaboration.

The filing says the new allegations Mr. Sussmann provided—claiming suspicious ties between a Russian mobile phone operator and the White House—were also bogus, and that Mr. Sussmann again made the false claim that he wasn’t working on behalf of a client.

The disclosures raise troubling questions far beyond the Sussmann indictment. How long did this snooping last and who had access to what was found? Who approved the access to White House data, and who at the FBI and White House knew about it? Were Mrs. Clinton and senior campaign aides personally aware of this data-trolling operation?

Mr. Durham’s revelations take the 2016 collusion scam well beyond the Steele dossier, which was based on the unvetted claims of a Russian emigre working in Washington. Those claims and the Sussmann assertions were channeled to the highest levels of the government via contacts at the FBI, CIA and State Department. They became fodder for secret and unjustified warrants against a former Trump campaign official, and later for Robert Mueller’s two-year mole hunt that turned up no evidence of collusion. 

Along the way the Clinton campaign fed these bogus claims to a willing and gullible media. And now we know its operatives used private tech researchers to monitor White House communications. If you made this up, you’d be laughed out of a Netflix story pitch.

Mr. Durham’s legal filing is related to certain conflicts of interest in Mr. Sussmann’s legal team, and it remains unclear where else his probe is going. But the unfolding information underscores that the Russia collusion story was one of the dirtiest tricks in U.S. political history. Mr. Durham should tell the whole sordid story.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the Wall Street Journal…

Trump Really Was Spied On

Durham says techies linked to the Clinton campaign had access to White House and Trump Tower internet data.

Special Counsel John Durham continues to unravel the Trump-Russia “collusion” story, and his latest court disclosure contains startling information. According to a Friday court filing, the 2016 Hillary Clinton campaign effort to compile dirt on Donald Trump reached into protected White House communications.

The filing relates to Mr. Durham’s September indictment of Michael Sussmann, a lawyer who represented the Clinton campaign while he worked for the Perkins Coie law firm. Mr. Sussmann is accused of lying to the FBI at a September 2016 meeting when he presented documents claiming to show secret internet communications between the Trump Organization and Russia-based Alfa Bank. The indictment says Mr. Sussmann falsely told the FBI he was presenting this information solely as a good citizen—failing to disclose his ties to the Clinton campaign. (He has pleaded not guilty.)

The indictment revealed that Mr. Sussmann worked with “Tech Executive-1,” who has been identified as Rodney Joffe, formerly of Neustar Inc. The indictment says Mr. Joffe used his companies, as well as researchers at a U.S. university, to access internet data, which he used to gather information about Mr. Trump’s communications. 

Mr. Durham says Mr. Joffe’s “goal” was to create an “inference” and “narrative” about Mr. Trump that would “please certain ‘VIPs,’ referring to individuals at [Perkins Coie] and the Clinton Campaign.”

The new shocker relates to the data Mr. Joffe and friends were mining. According to Friday’s filing, as early as July 2016 Mr. Joffe was “exploit[ing]” his “access to non-public and/or proprietary Internet data,” including “Internet traffic pertaining to . . . the Executive Office of the President of the United States (“EOP”).” 

The filing explains that Mr. Joffe’s employer “had come to access and maintain dedicated servers for the EOP as part of a sensitive arrangement whereby it provided [internet services]” to the White House. Mr. Joffe’s team also was monitoring internet traffic related to Trump Tower, and Mr. Trump’s apartment on Central Park West.

White House communications are supposed to be secure, and the notion that any contractor—much less one with ties to a presidential campaign—could access them is alarming enough. The implication that the data was exploited for a political purpose is a scandal that requires investigation under oath.

The filing suggests the data collection continued into the Trump Presidency. Mr. Durham says that on Feb. 9, 2017, Mr. Sussmann met with a second federal agency (“Agency-2”) to provide “an updated set of allegations,” and that these “allegations relied, in part, on the purported [internet traffic] that [Mr. Joffe] and others had assembled pertaining to Trump Tower, Donald Trump’s New York City apartment building, the EOP” and a healthcare provider. 

(Late Monday a spokesperson for Mr. Joffe said in a statement that “contrary to the allegations in this recent filing, Mr. Joffe is an apolitical internet security expert with decades of service to the U.S Government who has never worked for a political party.” The statement added that “there were serious and legitimate national security concerns about Russian attempts to infiltrate the 2016 election” and that “respected cyber-security researchers were deeply concerned about the anomalies they found in the data and prepared a report of their findings, which was subsequently shared with the CIA.”) That could certainly use some elaboration.

The filing says the new allegations Mr. Sussmann provided—claiming suspicious ties between a Russian mobile phone operator and the White House—were also bogus, and that Mr. Sussmann again made the false claim that he wasn’t working on behalf of a client.

The disclosures raise troubling questions far beyond the Sussmann indictment. How long did this snooping last and who had access to what was found? Who approved the access to White House data, and who at the FBI and White House knew about it? Were Mrs. Clinton and senior campaign aides personally aware of this data-trolling operation?

Mr. Durham’s revelations take the 2016 collusion scam well beyond the Steele dossier, which was based on the unvetted claims of a Russian emigre working in Washington. Those claims and the Sussmann assertions were channeled to the highest levels of the government via contacts at the FBI, CIA and State Department. They became fodder for secret and unjustified warrants against a former Trump campaign official, and later for Robert Mueller’s two-year mole hunt that turned up no evidence of collusion. 

Along the way the Clinton campaign fed these bogus claims to a willing and gullible media. And now we know its operatives used private tech researchers to monitor White House communications. If you made this up, you’d be laughed out of a Netflix story pitch.

Mr. Durham’s legal filing is related to certain conflicts of interest in Mr. Sussmann’s legal team, and it remains unclear where else his probe is going. But the unfolding information underscores that the Russia collusion story was one of the dirtiest tricks in U.S. political history. Mr. Durham should tell the whole sordid story.
Seems strange for Mr Sussmann to be attempting to find something monitoring White House communications and if he did find something explain why he thought it was ok to be monitoring the White House in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread