What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 1st Round Rookie pick value (1 Viewer)

In general it is probably smarter to trade away rookie picks since there is a good likelihood of receiving in return proven value close to the hoped-for upside of the pick but with much less risk.
Bingo. I don't think I have drafted a player in the top 10 rookie picks in six years or more. Draft picks are for dreamers. It has been my experience that picks and the hope they bring are almost always overvalued and you can get quality proven players in return. Conversely, target the guy who has had a few bad drafts in a row and he can give away his picks cheaper than some others would.Great topic.
Tell that to this guy who drafted in the Champagne Classic in 2008, then take note of my signature (1st line after John Facenda's name) ----Pick Ovr Franchise Selection Date/Time Pts Comments 1.03 3. JohnnyU Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB ® Sun Aug 10 10:57:12 a.m. ET 2008 7.50 1.08 8. JohnnyU Rice, Ray BAL RB ® Sun Aug 10 2:09:54 p.m. ET 2008 70.70 1.10 10. JohnnyU Johnson, Chris TEN RB ® Sun Aug 10 2:19:01 p.m. ET 2008 206.80 1.11 11. JohnnyU Sweed, Limas PIT WR ® Sun Aug 10 2:20:18 p.m. ET 2008 6.40 2.01 13. JohnnyU Jackson, DeSean PHI WR ® Sun Aug 10 2:30:31 p.m. ET 2008 113.10 2.06 18. JohnnyU Keller, Dustin NYJ TE ® Sun Aug 10 10:16:38 p.m. ET 2008 69.10 3.02 26. JohnnyU Burton, Keenan STL WR ® Tue Aug 12 7:27:12 a.m. ET 2008 22.70 4.02 38. JohnnyU Doucet, Early ARI WR ® Thu Aug 14 7:58:03 p.m. ET 2008 6.10 4.07 43. JohnnyU Morgan, Josh SFO WR ® Sun Aug 17 8:35:03 p.m. ET 2008 44.90 5.07 55. JohnnyU Bironas, Rob TEN PK Sun Aug 24 1:54:20 p.m. ET 2008 154.30

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an excellent thread - thought I would bump it up for discussion now and dynasty at this point of history.

Took over my first dynasty league less than a year ago, and instantly started taking advantage of how overvalued 1st round rookie picks are in my league.

For instance, I traded the 1.3 and a 2012 1st for Stewart and the 1.4 right after the season ended. Then turned that 1.4 and Wells into Forte. Traded my second for Gresham and a 3rd, and in general have stocked up on 3rds coming back to me in other trades, because I'll have the roster space for some fliers late in the draft, after taking over such a weak team.

So I definitely agree that rookie picks, in some leagues, have more value on the market than they do to the original owner. Just have to find the right people to trade with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took over my first dynasty league less than a year ago, and instantly started taking advantage of how overvalued 1st round rookie picks are in my league. For instance, I traded the 1.3 for Stewart and the 1.4 right after the season ended. Then turned that 1.4 and Wells into Forte. Traded my second for Gresham and a 3rd, and in general have stocked up on 3rds coming back to me in other trades, because I'll have the roster space for some fliers late in the draft, after taking over such a weak team.So I definitely agree that rookie picks, in some leagues, have more value on the market than they do to the original owner. Just have to find the right people to trade with.
Wait, you are saying you dealt the 1.03 for Stewart AND the 1.04? Someone threw in Jonathan Stewart to move up one pick in the draft? If that is in fact the case, that league is not worth playing in, and certainly should not be used as the basis for any sort of argument.

'The Real Hipster Doofus said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
Took over my first dynasty league less than a year ago, and instantly started taking advantage of how overvalued 1st round rookie picks are in my league. For instance, I traded the 1.3 for Stewart and the 1.4 right after the season ended. Then turned that 1.4 and Wells into Forte. Traded my second for Gresham and a 3rd, and in general have stocked up on 3rds coming back to me in other trades, because I'll have the roster space for some fliers late in the draft, after taking over such a weak team.So I definitely agree that rookie picks, in some leagues, have more value on the market than they do to the original owner. Just have to find the right people to trade with.
Wait, you are saying you dealt the 1.03 for Stewart AND the 1.04? Someone threw in Jonathan Stewart to move up one pick in the draft? If that is in fact the case, that league is not worth playing in, and certainly should not be used as the basis for any sort of argument.
There were other pieces to the deal, including my 2012 1st, which I blanked on adding to my original post you quoted. Which is still a steal, of course. This guy hates the time he's spent waiting on Stewart...so I'm going to take advantage of that.

'ConnSKINS26 said:
There were other pieces to the deal, including my 2012 1st, which I blanked on adding to my original post you quoted. Which is still a steal, of course. This guy hates the time he's spent waiting on Stewart...so I'm going to take advantage of that.
Alright that is better. Still, unless that pick is projected to be a top 2 or 3 pick he got fleeced hard. If it is a top 2-3 pick he still got smoked.

'ConnSKINS26 said:
Alright that is better. Still, unless that pick is projected to be a top 2 or 3 pick he got fleeced hard. If it is a top 2-3 pick he still got smoked.
You never can tell what's gonna happen during the season, but its my original pick, so at worst it should be in the middle of the pack...I'm hoping, of course. I had to completely rebuild this team, but have done a good job of it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread