What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 1st Round Rookie pick value (3 Viewers)

I think and I have not seen it alot in here is the risk of rookie picks. Too much reference being put in the 2004 class which is one of the best in the top 10 years. Lets do a more realistic comparison of picks going back to 2003.
Actually, I think 2004 is a more realistic comparision than 2003. 2003 was one of the weakest rookie drafts that I can remember in my 12 years of dynasty drafts, especially at the RB position. Thats the only year that I can remember where WR's went 1-2 in most rookie drafts.

I think and I have not seen it alot in here is the risk of rookie picks. Too much reference being put in the 2004 class which is one of the best in the top 10 years. Lets do a more realistic comparison of picks going back to 2003.
Actually, I think 2004 is a more realistic comparision than 2003. 2003 was one of the weakest rookie drafts that I can remember in my 12 years of dynasty drafts, especially at the RB position. Thats the only year that I can remember where WR's went 1-2 in most rookie drafts.
Honestly, I think each year need to judges on its own merit. The original post in this thread gives a baseline. IMO, you move the value based on the rookie talent in the draft. Every draft has strengths and weakness, some more than others. Sidenote:

Think this one can be linked into the off-season dynasty thread...good information and variances of opinions.

Well 2002 and 2001 added and it only makes me think the same that LT did not go once in any of these drafts. Give me a league that has been around for all these years and is dynasty and you will find the same. Beto is going by a perfect draft but there is no such thing.

I wouldnt say most, LJ and Mcgahee went 1.1 and 1.2 in most the Zealots leagues i saw in 2003.Also, as of right now, the 2003 draft is not that weak at all, including at the RB position, LJ, Mcgahee, Suggs, Chris Brown, Dominick Davis and OSmith are all starting RB's going into next year.

I wouldnt say most, LJ and Mcgahee went 1.1 and 1.2 in most the Zealots leagues i saw in 2003.Also, as of right now, the 2003 draft is not that weak at all, including at the RB position, LJ, Mcgahee, Suggs, Chris Brown, Dominick Davis and OSmith are all starting RB's going into next year.
mcgahee, brown, and davis are the only locks to start next year. how do you come to the conclusion they are all starting backs?

Last edited by a moderator:
mcgahee, brown, and davis are the only locks to start next year. how do you come to the conclusion they are all starting backs?
Pretty much any depth chart you look at right now will have them listed as the starters. How many other draft classes can say the same(5 starting backs)?edited to add with the exception of LJ

Pretty much any depth chart you look at right now will have them listed as the starters. How many other draft classes can say the same(5 starting backs)?

edited to add with the exception of LJ
2001 has at least five (Tomlinson, McAlister, Jordan, Barlow, Rudi Johnson) maybe seven if you include Henry and Bennett.2004 looks like it will have four - Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones and Tatum Bell. 2002 will have four - Foster, Duckett, Portis and Westbrook (five if Gordon starts for Miami.)

So it doesn't look like its that unusual but you are correct that the 2003 draft is now looking stronger than I had given it credit for.

I have to say a rookie draft in a dynasty league, has no comparision to a redraft or comparable value in a redraft. I just had this discusion with one of my dynasty league owners. I was looking to acquire a #2-3 WR and have the 1.4 pick in our 14 teamer. He made a good case that Koren was worth that pick. He asked the simple question assuming the 3 RB's went first and Koren happened to be a FA, who would I take Koren or Braylon Edwards(I consider him the best player in the draft) Interesting question, but Koren isn't availible. So it's a moot point.Some guys in our league do it alot, trade picks for established players that will be productive. We are starting are 4th season, and it is just starting to show its effects there are a couple of teams that have no young talent and the players they traded for are on their last legs. They are 3-4 seasons away from competing again. I think it's important in a dynasty league to have as least a few guys you are holding on too have at least a small talent base going forward. Some may bust but some will become studs or a just a decent #3 WR. At least you have some spots filled on your team for a few years, so when you do hit that LT, Portis, Holmes, Faulk you have a team that can ride him to the championship. Since our first season,(I traded my 1.5 pick for a 6th rounder) I have always gone for the best availible player. I got Palmer 1.5 year 2, and Roethisburger 1.10 last year, and will probably take Braylon Edwards this season at 1.4. As much as it was tempting to reach for the next RB. I with Palmer and Roeth, along with Plummer and Collins I now have some depth to trade to pick up that WR, and can hopefully replace an older guy with Edwards down the line. I have CuMartin, Lamont Jordan, and Staley at RB who I acquired in our orginal draft. Soon my RB legs will need replacing but try trading for one, I might be able to move Palmer, or Chad Johnson for a mid tier RB or an aged one, but more then likely I will have to wait until Martin and Staley are retired or backups and my team drops to the bottom of the pack and I get one of the top 2-3 picks in the league to get my next RB to build around. The other option would be too trade a lot of top talent to acquire that LT which would make it a race to get some talent around him before he tears his ACL or acepts a big contract with a terrible team. I believe its more then a math equation, its finding that balance between now and later. I suppose its a lot like a play in redrafts, I may not take that risk, reach in the 3rd and hit the superstud I had as a 6th rounder. I might not run away with the league but I make the playoffs, and the more playoffs you make the better chance you have of good things happening the playoffs plus you pick up a little change on top of it.By the way everyone talks about acquiring a RB, anyone else have fun trying to get a defensive team.

The key with dynasty rookie drafts is to sit back and draft the best available player. I recommend trading up if you are set on a given rookie RB, but you're playing against the odds if you look for the next Domanick Davis when there are still first round WRs and QBs on the board. I like to build talent and constantly add layers onto my team with each rookie draft. Last year I picked up Kevin Jones, Lee Evans, Bernard Berrian, and Derrick Hamilton in my main money league. This year I have picks 1.08, 2.04, and 2.05. It's likely that I'll walk away with one solid prospect and two decent developmental guys. The nice thing is that I don't need my rookies to contribute, which means I can just stand back and add future value to my team by taking the best talent on the board.

while i agree that taking the best available player is a good idea with rookie dynasty picks, since RBs are so valuable, i feel compelled to take a 2nd or 3rd tier RB that i think has real long term potential than even the best QB out there. For example, in one of my dynasty leagues, now in its 3rd year, i have a pretty competitive team right now (*=starter)*Manning/Delhomme*Portis/*McAllister/*Bell/Betts*AJ/*S.Smith/*Coles/Evans/K-Rob*WittenNow this year, i have 6 rookie picks after several trades. I have the 1.12, 2.1, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 picks. Believe it or not, i'm almost positive that not a single QB or TE will be taken by my first pick. And i think, at most, 4 Wrs. So while i could probably grab Alex Smith, Miller, and maybe Clayton or White, i am thinking more about taking as many RBs as possible. They seem to make better trade bait, and i already have the starters i need this year. Does anyone agree with this approach? Taking maybe 4 or 5 RBs with these 6 picks? I just don't think a team can EVER have too many good RBs, starters or backups.

Does anyone agree with this approach? Taking maybe 4 or 5 RBs with these 6 picks? I just don't think a team can EVER have too many good RBs, starters or backups.
It depends on a lot of factors, roster size being the main one. I could see being happy with Alex Smith, Heath Miller and the next 4 RBs you like the best. I have a bunch of second round picks in my August draft and most likely will go this direction.

Looking at the mixed rookie/vet draft posted by podunker in the Dynasty master thread, here are where the rookies went:

2.06 Cadillac

2.07 Ronnie

3.04 Benson

3.06 Arrington

None other taken through the end of the 6th round.

Link to draft

Looking at the mixed rookie/vet draft posted by podunker in the Dynasty master thread, here are where the rookies went:

2.06 Cadillac

2.07 Ronnie

3.04 Benson

3.06 Arrington

None other taken through the end of the 6th round.

Link to draft
Looks like for the most part, that draft is following the original post.
Code:
1.1      =        2.4      1.2      =        2.8      1.3      =        3.2      1.4      =        3.11      1.5      =        5.5
I would think Edwards would go soon.

Rookie picks can usually be had for a pretty cheap price depending when you trade for them. Trading for picks anytime after a previous years rookie draft and right up through the season can be had relatively cheap. However, trying to trade for them in the month leading up to and especially during the rookie draft you will definetly overpay.
:goodposting: I too have been trying to stay ahead of the game in trading for future rookie picks. People just have no way to value future draft picks, don't know where they are picking (although everyone thinks they'll have a winning season and therefore a bad 1st round rookie pick) and see instant help as being very tempting. I've currently got 4 first round picks for the 2006 rookie draft... placement TBD. The obvious downside to this practice is you are giving away value to get the future picks and therefore its not going to be helping your team win this year.

Rookie picks can usually be had for a pretty cheap price depending when you trade for them. Trading for picks anytime after a previous years rookie draft and right up through the season can be had relatively cheap. However, trying to trade for them in the month leading up to and especially during the rookie draft you will definetly overpay.
:goodposting: I too have been trying to stay ahead of the game in trading for future rookie picks. People just have no way to value future draft picks, don't know where they are picking (although everyone thinks they'll have a winning season and therefore a bad 1st round rookie pick) and see instant help as being very tempting. I've currently got 4 first round picks for the 2006 rookie draft... placement TBD. The obvious downside to this practice is you are giving away value to get the future picks and therefore its not going to be helping your team win this year.
Right after a previous draft can be bad timing, as owners see what they could have had this year, and project the same talent there last year, but sometimes they don't see this, and just go for that year.Early in the season, or in August, pre-season camps, is a great time to trade for picks, especially if you're lucky enough to have good PR come out about your backups.

This is a great thread.One thing that really strikes me is that new dynasty leagues should never draft, then hold a second draft for Rookies. The value of the top few rookie picks is just too high. Rookies should be included in the initial draft. I remember in 2001 people were able to get Terrell Owens and Ahman Green at the 1st/2rd round turn then follow it up with LT in the rookie draft. This year looks the same way. You could get Moss and Rudi or D Davis etc. then follow it up with Ronnie Brown in the rookie draft? That is ridiculous.

This is a great thread.

One thing that really strikes me is that new dynasty leagues should never draft, then hold a second draft for Rookies. The value of the top few rookie picks is just too high. Rookies should be included in the initial draft.

I remember in 2001 people were able to get Terrell Owens and Ahman Green at the 1st/2rd round turn then follow it up with LT in the rookie draft. This year looks the same way. You could get Moss and Rudi or D Davis etc. then follow it up with Ronnie Brown in the rookie draft? That is ridiculous.
I agree, holding seperate drafts skews the playing field HEAVILY in favor of those who pick late in the Vet draft and early in the Rookie one. Especially if the rookie draft is not serp like mine.

This is a great thread.

One thing that really strikes me is that new dynasty leagues should never draft, then hold a second draft for Rookies. The value of the top few rookie picks is just too high. Rookies should be included in the initial draft.

I remember in 2001 people were able to get Terrell Owens and Ahman Green at the 1st/2rd round turn then follow it up with LT in the rookie draft. This year looks the same way. You could get Moss and Rudi or D Davis etc. then follow it up with Ronnie Brown in the rookie draft? That is ridiculous.
I did two initial dynasty drafts in the Misfits leagues this year and they were opposite ends of the spectrum. Draft #1: I had the 13th pick out of 14, Draft #2: I had the 1st overall pick out of 14. Both teams look completely different, but I much prefer the 1st team as I have DDavis, Rudi and the #2 rookie pick along with some very good receivers.Team #2 does have LT, McNabb and some decent WR's, but I am lacking a longterm, viable RB2 (I have Fred Taylor.) I have been trying to trade for another RB, but the prices are either too high or some players are simply untradeable.

In hindsight, I think including rookies in the initial draft is the best way to go. Otherwise I think you are overcompensating guys picking at the tailend of the draft by basically giving them the equivalent of another 2nd or 3rd pick.

I think what you're finding out is that it may make more sense to have an auction to start a new dynasty league rather than a draft. Gives everyone an equal chance at the players they covet. Even a serpentine draft has advantages for certain drafting positions.

In hindsight, I think including rookies in the initial draft is the best way to go. Otherwise I think you are overcompensating guys picking at the tailend of the draft by basically giving them the equivalent of another 2nd or 3rd pick.
Could not agree more. I would love to have the last draft slot in a vet draft and the #1 rookie. Absolutley not fair. They should be all together-

I'm in the same position in my new league. I got Ronnie Brown already stashed away on my roster. After some trading I have the 1.03, 2.10, 3.03 and 3.09 picks. I'll have 5 potential top tier guys on my squad where probably the top 8 teams will only have 3. What's even more beautiful is that you get to keep the players.

Can you not bump this? I had this bookmarked for good reason, and a good number of my leaguemates are in here.

TIA.

A "bump" for 2006?
This is a great read. Anyone want to amend or confirm what was written here?
I will try to pull something together this month.
Can you not bump this? I had this bookmarked for good reason, and a good number of my leaguemates are in here.

TIA.
:D At least wannabee did this in March?

Just going by the threads put up about 1st RB/WR/QB taken in draft and success rate is enough to show that your going to hit on a player but you are also going to miss on a player. Hit though and your looking at a 1st round pick. Miss and your looking at a late pick and hoping. I still think on average that Betos first numbers where too high. Really need to use I guess Zealots(not sure how long around but it has a rookie draft and than has new drafts the next year to compare value one year, two years, three years down the road.

Larry Johnson is a great example of this. Went high but not that high in rookie drafts(4-6 range), than his value probably went down the second year(I remember a couple of trades in a few leagues. One I traded McNair for Delhomme and Larry and got lambasted and another where Stephon Davis was traded for Larry and a couple of 2nd round picks and most liked it for the new Davis owner but me) and third year it went up especially to Holmes owners and than is top 3 now. How many owners did not wait the 4 years for him to be huge.

Just going by the threads put up about 1st RB/WR/QB taken in draft and success rate is enough to show that your going to hit on a player but you are also going to miss on a player. Hit though and your looking at a 1st round pick. Miss and your looking at a late pick and hoping. I still think on average that Betos first numbers where too high. Really need to use I guess Zealots(not sure how long around but it has a rookie draft and than has new drafts the next year to compare value one year, two years, three years down the road.

Larry Johnson is a great example of this. Went high but not that high in rookie drafts(4-6 range), than his value probably went down the second year(I remember a couple of trades in a few leagues. One I traded McNair for Delhomme and Larry and got lambasted and another where Stephon Davis was traded for Larry and a couple of 2nd round picks and most liked it for the new Davis owner but me) and third year it went up especially to Holmes owners and than is top 3 now. How many owners did not wait the 4 years for him to be huge.
I have different recollections on where Larry Johnson was going in dynasty rookie drafts. In the half dozen I was involved in, he went first or second in all of them. (He would have gone second in all of them, but that's the year McGahee had blown out his knee in the bowl game when he would have gone first in every rookie draft.)

A "bump" for 2006?
This is a great read. Anyone want to amend or confirm what was written here?
I will try to pull something together this month.
Can you not bump this?  I had this bookmarked for good reason, and a good number of my leaguemates are in here.

TIA.
:D At least wannabee did this in March?
And I am in a league w/ Keys :P ETA: Great post Beto

For 2006, this dynasty draft makes for a decent reference since it has both vets and rookies in the same draft, but not names of rookies only the draft slot.

Shows relative value placed on the pick by the owners.

http://ant2.antsports.com/ffldata/draft_st...=0749&Year=2005

The breakdown:

Rookie 1.01 = Vet 2.09

Rookie 1.02 = Vet 3.10

Rookie 1.03 = Vet 5.02

Rookie 1.04 = Vet 6.06

Rookie 1.05 = Vet 7.01

Rookie 1.06 = Vet 8.10

Rookie 1.07 = Vet 10.09

Rookie 1.08 = Vet 12.01

Rookie 1.09 = Vet 12.02

Rookie 1.10 = Vet 12.03

Rookie 1.11 = Vet 14.01

Rookie 1.12 = Vet 15.03

Rookie 2.01 = Vet 15.08

Rookie 2.02 = Vet 16.01

Rookie 2.03 = Vet 16.05

Rookie 2.04 = Vet 17.08

Rookie 2.05 = Vet 17.09

Rookie 2.06 = Vet 18.01

Rookie 2.07 = Vet 18.09

Rookie 2.08 = Vet 19.07

End of Draft

Bear in mind this was non-IDP and completed in late March.

Pretty interesting to see the values of the picks.

Great input SammyJ. You say the 1.1 Rookie pick is worth way more than the 2.4, I just think it's tough to go a lot higher than that based on the caliber of player available there and the risk/reward of any NFL rookie.
I thought a good bit about what redraft pick would be comparable to the 1.1 rookie pick in a dynasty league. After thinking about it for a bit, the answer is clear IMO, The 1.1 rookie pick in most rookie drafts is more valuable than the 1.1 pick in a redraft league.At first glance, it sounds like that can't be right. After all, the 1st pick in a redraft league can take any player, while the 1.1 rookie pick can take only the top rookie. In other words, the list of available players with the 1.1 rookie pick is some subset of the players available with the 1.1 redraft pick. Furthermore, the 1st pick in a redraft league will likely be used to select an established player, while the 1st rookie pick will be used on a player that hasn't played a down in the pros. While every pick carries risk, clearly the top redraft pick is a safer bet than the top rookie pick. So how can the safer pick, more flexible pick be worth less than the riskier more limited pick?

Let me start by saying that comparing rookie draft picks in a dynasty league to picks in a redraft league is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. So when I make it, I'm talking about how much of a competitive advantage that pick gives you over your opponents in that league. In other words, who is in a better situation, the 1.1 redraft pick owner or the 1.1 rookie draft pick owner?

What we're talking about here is value. In a redraft league, when comparing two players, the more valuable player is the player that gives you the bigger edge over your opponents over the course of the season. That's what VBD is all about. It gives you a means to evaluate the worth of players at different positions by asking, "What player gives me more of a competitive edge against my opponents?". However, if you wanted to simplify the discussion down to one position, namely running backs, it gets pretty easy. In a redraft league, the best RB is the one that scores the most points. (The cynic might argue that the best RB is the one that gets you to your playoffs and then scores the most then, but I'll talk about short vs. long term value in a second).

But the value of dynasty players is more complicated. Suppose I look into a crystal ball, and can predict two players futures and offered you a choice of which you wanted. The first player is Priest Holmes, who I see having his best year ever in 2005, being the #1 RB by a wide margin and leading the Chiefs to a Super Bowl. Unfortunately the downside is that he retires at the end of the season. The other player is Ronnie Brown, who is drafted by the Dolphins. Due to their sub-par line and poor QB play, Brown has a pretty average rookie year. However, the Dolphins shape up in 06 and Brown goes down to be one of the greatest runners to ever play the game, finishing in the top 5 year in and year out. If you could have your pick of one of these two players in a dynasty league, which would you rather have?

The answer of course is "it depends". Clearly, if you're a team that is built to win in 05, but whose only hole is at RB, Holmes is your guy. Adding Holmes to your team, likely elevates your team to a super bowl crown. But if your team is a doormat, Holmes likely only raises your team to an average level and then he's gone. So in that case, you would want Brown by far.

So when we're talking about dynasty value, we need to be clear whether we're talking about long term or short term value. However, unless you fall into that "one player away from the super bowl" situation, you want to maximize your long term value. If you're picking 1.1 in a rookie draft, you likely got their one of two ways. Either your team stinks, or you're an owner savy enough to trade for the 1.1 pick. If you're a doormat, you want to maximize your long term value. If you moved up to #1 to get that pick, you're savy enough to want to maximize your long term value as wel.. So when we talk about the "value" of a rookie pick, I'm going to assume we're talking about long term value.

So getting back to the matter hand: What's the long term value of a dynasty player? All things being equal, its the value of a player multiplied by the number of years that player does it. For example, if we're comparing two RBs that will each average 100 points a year, the RB that will play six more years is twice as valuable as the RB that plays three more years. Things are rarely this simple though, if you really want to compare value you have to talk about distribution of those points. Plus there is no good way to project a player's stats over his career. Nonetheless it should be clear though that long term value in a dynasty league is similar to redraft value, but the extra consideration is the number of seasons the player has left.

So if we just came back for the future and wanted to plot the long term value of all available players (vets and rookies) we could just add up their numbers from each year (VBD if comparing different positions, FF points if we're comparing players of the same position). What we'd see is that the distribution would be quite different. The handful of very young elite RBs would be signifigantly worth more than any other RB. Guys like Kevin Jones, McGahee and Tomlinson would blow away anyone else. Not only do these guys figure to outperform their counterparts in the years ahead, they figure to do it for a good number of years.

This gets back to what I stated in a previous post, that young stud RBs are so valuable in a dynasty league as to be almost untradable. They are simply worth leaps and bounds more than any other player. Much more so than a redraft league. If you have three good RBs in a redraft and only one good WR, why not trade the RB for a WR and maximize your chances in that league to win? But in a dynasty league, trade away that RB and he'll be very difficult to replace. You have to think about next year, when one of your starters might retire.

So when we're comparing rookie to redraft picks, it doesn't make sense to ask who will be available with the pick, it makes sense to ask how much of an advantage that pick gives you. The top rookie pick carries more risk than the comparable redraft pick. In this regard, the rookie pick cedes some ground to the redraft pick. However, a young rookie runner is so valuable in a dynasty league, that the pick is worth the risk.

Kevin Jones was a middle of the pack runner in a redraft league last year, but if you took him in your rookie draft last year, you now have a player valued as the #2-#5 overall player in all of FF. You have a player that is so valuable as to be almost untradable. What I'm getting that Kevin Jones in dynasty is worth leaps and bounds more than Kevin Jones in a redraft league. So much so that the #1 pick in a rookie draft that gives you an opportunity to draft a player like jim, is worth more than any pick in a redraft league.
Interesting theory. Had to read it twice before I realized you weren't smoking crack.I'd thought you were comparing apples (rookie 1.01, dynasty) to oranges (overall 1.01, dynasty), as the OP was. But you were comparing apples (rookie 1.01, dynasty) to blancmanges (overall 1.01, redraft).

It's a pretty hard thing to compare, actually.

Here's some one-year info. Top 23 rookies in Zealots in 05 and where they were taken in the 06 vet drafts:RAv VAv

1_ 12_ Brown, Ronnie MIA RB

2_ 7__ Williams, Carnell TBB RB

3_ 25_ Benson, Cedric CHI RB

4_ 126 Arrington, J.J. ARI RB

6_ 62_ Edwards, Braylon CLE WR

7_ 126 Williams, Mike DET WR

7_ 162 Williamson, Troy MIN WR

8_ 183 Shelton, Eric CAR RB

9_ 88_ Clayton, Mark BAL WR

10 204 Smith, Alex SFO QB

11 57_ Gore, Frank SFO RB

14 631 Clarett, Maurice DEN RB

14 156 Moats, Ryan PHI RB

15 82_ Jones, Matt JAC WR

16 332 Morency, Vernand HOU RB

17 298 Fason, Ciatrick MIN RB

18 217 Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

19 97_ Brown, Reggie PHI WR

19 106 Miller, Heath PIT TE

21 89_ Barber, Marion DAL RB

21 214 White, Sharod ATL WR

23 149 Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB

23 156 Johnson, Derrick o. KCC LB

Great input SammyJ. You say the 1.1 Rookie pick is worth way more than the 2.4, I just think it's tough to go a lot higher than that based on the caliber of player available there and the risk/reward of any NFL rookie.
I agree, the 2.4 vet. for the #1 rookie sounds about right.I personally could not justify going higher than that.

:popcorn:

This is a great thread beto. I use a more intuitive valuation system that tries to take each draft class into account but your study is pretty close to what my observations have been.

One thing in my eyes that improves the value of rookie picks is that they are similar to extra roster slots until a pick is made. So when doing roster management one can maximise thier total team value by carrying extra draft picks. These can be traded right before draft time ushualy at somewhat inflated value as well.

Another thing I do is put a weighting when trading for draft picks in the following year. So in this case 2008.

A 2008 draft pick does not have the same value as a pick in 2007 because it will have zero impact on your ability to win or lose in 2007. So generaly I place a following years draft pick value as one round later than the round it is for example 2008 1st round pick = 2007 2nd round pick and so on.

I wonder what you think about the value of rookie picks in following years?

Of course they will have more value once you have waited out the season and then they become picks that can actualy be used. But much like a savings bond that you have to wait for it to mature I think you deserve some discount on what its actual value will be later on.

I looked back at my initial dynasty draft last year that was held in late August. It was a single draft that included 2004 rookies.1st rookie K Jones - Pick 2.03. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 2.04. 2nd rookie Jackson- Pick 3.11. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 2.08. 3rd rookie J Jones - Pick 4.02. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 3.02. 4th rookie Winslow - Pick 4.03. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 3.11. 5th rookie Fitzgerald - Pick 5.08. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 5.05. 6th rookie Bell - Pick 6.12. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 5.08. 7th rookie Roy Williams - Pick 7.02. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 7.02. 8th rookie Manning - Pick 8.07. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 9.01. 9th rookie Perry - Pick 8.10. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 11.01. 10th rookie Watts - Pick 9.01. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 12.06 11th rookie Reggie Williams - Pick 9.03. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 13.06 12th rookie Evans - Pick 9.04. Compared to Beto's equivalent value of 15.01.This is just a single sample but compared to Beto's value he is right on for the 1st pick, a little high for picks 2 & 3, close for 4 & 5, high for 6, close for 7& 8, and too low for 9 - 12.This sample does show a big drop around the 6th pick.
This is a great example of how these rookie drafts play out 2 or 3 years down the road.

beto, any refinements?
I'll compile the last 2 years of rook drafts and probably bring in IDP for my next iteration.Jeff Pasquino kind of took this a step further with his Dynasty calculator. I also like this

article from Vanier:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/0...ce_vanier01.php
Thanks!... you're actually the first that mentioned this freelance article I was fortuante enough to have published... This thread - and your analysis - is one of my favorites! :thumbup:

My sig has some great data to take a look at, with tons of rookie drafts and 12 startups per year for the past 2-3 years. I really wish there were another 12 Zealots startups this year just to get some data from them...

Here's a breakdown of who went where during the MOXHP I Draft last year - Vets & Rookies were drafted all at once in May (NOTE - scoring system: 14-teams, start 1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR/TE, 2-FLEX, 1-PK & 1-Def. Basic scoring with 1-pt ppr for WR & 2-pt ppr TE):

(Parantheses indicates - where they went overall & the 12-team equivalent spot)

Rookie 1.01 = Vet 1.05

Rookie 1.02 = Vet 2.06 (20 / 2.08)

Rookie 1.03 = Vet 3.05 (33 / 3.09)

Rookie 1.04 = Vet 4.01 (43 / 4.07)

Rookie 1.05 = Vet 4.02 (44 / 4.08)

Rookie 1.06 = Vet 4.03 (45 / 4.09)

Rookie 1.07 = Vet 8.06 (104 / 9.08)

Rookie 1.08 = Vet 8.13 (111 / 10.03)

Rookie 1.09 = Vet 9.02 (114 / 10.06)

Rookie 1.10 = Vet 9.11 (123 / 11.03)

Rookie 1.11 = Vet 10.08 (134 / 12.02)

Rookie 1.12 = Vet 10.09 (135 / 12.03)

Rookie 1.13 = Vet 10.10 (136 / 12.04)

Rookie 1.14 = Vet 11.02 (142 / 12.10)

Rookie 2.01 = Vet 11.03

Rookie 2.02 = Vet 11.04

Rookie 2.03 = Vet 11.06

Rookie 2.04 = Vet 11.07

Rookie 2.05 = Vet 11.14

Rookie 2.06 = Vet 15.09

Rookie 2.07 = Vet 16.01

Rookie 2.08 = Vet 16.05

Rookie 2.09 = Vet 16.09

Rookie 2.10 = Vet 16.10

Rookie 2.11 = Vet 16.13

Rookie 2.12 = Vet 18.01

Rookie 2.13 = Vet 18.06

Rookie 2.14 = Vet 18.09

I offered Vick for the 1.02

Was rejected and countered with 1.05+Vick for 1.02 (seems to be a lot of value) This league is with mostly FBG to give you a sense of value this indiviudal is giving to the pick

Beto

nice post!

correct me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be saying that based on a 12 team league, the picks in the second half of the first round,say 1.7->1.12, lose value quickly..so are you implying you could yield more value if you traded down to the second round for,say, another draft pick and/or another player ( in dynasty leagues) rather than keeping 1.8 and reaching for a 2-3 year project-type player?

sometimes people get desperate, and trade their #2 and #3 picks, to get that extra pick in the first round..

If I'm picking late, I entertain all offers to move down and out of the first round

correct me if I'm wrong here, but you seem to be saying that based on a 12 team league, the picks in the second half of the first round,say 1.7->1.12, lose value quickly..so are you implying you could yield more value if you traded down to the second round for,say, another draft pick and/or another player ( in dynasty leagues) rather than keeping 1.8 and reaching for a 2-3 year project-type player?

sometimes people get desperate, and trade their #2 and #3 picks, to get that extra pick in the first round..

If I'm picking late, I entertain all offers to move down and out of the first round
I want to stress that my values are based on the average rookie draft. I looked at my rookie drafts back to '99 and then tracked the fantasy value of each of the picks up to the present. The '06 rookie draft was extremely deep and the 1.8 pick was worth a lot more than the average (and 1.9-1.12 for that matter). The relative strength of a class is what you want to estimate every year.But yes, you have the gist of what I was trying to get across.

My calculator and the resulting Dynasty Factor are for average years as well.

I had thought about (and tried) to incorporated beto's efforts, but the result was very subjective.

I would say that if you had the Dynasty Calculator values for a given DF league, the values could be cross-referenced to what a redraft value would be.

(Translation - if 1.05 is worth 500 points in the Dynasty Calculator, figure out what picks in redraft are above and below 500, and that would be where to slot the 5th rookie).

Sounds like another article for me to write.

My calculator and the resulting Dynasty Factor are for average years as well.I had thought about (and tried) to incorporated beto's efforts, but the result was very subjective.I would say that if you had the Dynasty Calculator values for a given DF league, the values could be cross-referenced to what a redraft value would be.(Translation - if 1.05 is worth 500 points in the Dynasty Calculator, figure out what picks in redraft are above and below 500, and that would be where to slot the 5th rookie).Sounds like another article for me to write.
Another example of how a projection based ranking system with point values assigned to players may be more useful. :yes: I am still curious how people would value rookie picks for following years?What is a 1st round pick in 2008 worth compared to a 1.06 pick in 2007 for example?

My calculator and the resulting Dynasty Factor are for average years as well.I had thought about (and tried) to incorporated beto's efforts, but the result was very subjective.I would say that if you had the Dynasty Calculator values for a given DF league, the values could be cross-referenced to what a redraft value would be.(Translation - if 1.05 is worth 500 points in the Dynasty Calculator, figure out what picks in redraft are above and below 500, and that would be where to slot the 5th rookie).Sounds like another article for me to write.
Another example of how a projection based ranking system with point values assigned to players may be more useful. :bag: I am still curious how people would value rookie picks for following years?What is a 1st round pick in 2008 worth compared to a 1.06 pick in 2007 for example?
A 2008 first is a bit unpredictable, no? The team owner could win the league, rendering it the worst first (1.12, 1.14 or 1.16, depending) or they could be terrible (or suffer a rash of injuries) and be at 1.01.The best thing to do in my opinion is to take an assessment of their team and decide what portion of the draft they are likely to be in, using the present / most recent year as a foundation. As a rule of thumb, most would agree that a "year removed is a year subtracted". That is, a 2008 first is worth a 2007 second, and a 2009 first is worth a 2007 third or a 2008 2nd.

Another example of how a projection based ranking system with point values assigned to players may be more useful. :eek: I am still curious how people would value rookie picks for following years?What is a 1st round pick in 2008 worth compared to a 1.06 pick in 2007 for example?
A 2008 first is a bit unpredictable, no? The team owner could win the league, rendering it the worst first (1.12, 1.14 or 1.16, depending) or they could be terrible (or suffer a rash of injuries) and be at 1.01.The best thing to do in my opinion is to take an assessment of their team and decide what portion of the draft they are likely to be in, using the present / most recent year as a foundation. As a rule of thumb, most would agree that a "year removed is a year subtracted". That is, a 2008 first is worth a 2007 second, and a 2009 first is worth a 2007 third or a 2008 2nd.
Glad to know I am not totaly offbase in believing that "a year removed in a year subtracted". I honestly wasn't sure if other people thought this way or if it was just me or not.The unpredictability of where the pick may fall when it is another year removed leaves me to just consider it as an average 1.06-1.07 that could go either way as so much could happen with that teams roster between now and then. When you are trading for a pick that is next year it is easier (although no exact science at all) to predict and the player you are trading that team is easier to guage as far as what impact that player may have on thier current roster as well. You look at that another year removed and it is much more difficult to judge.For example in 2005 I traded Thomas Jones in a package that included a 1st round rookie pick in 2007 to a winning team looking for another Rb to help with thier playoff surge. There was no way of knowing at that time if Jones would still be the starter for the Bears in 2006 or if he would give way to Benson. The team being a winning team caused his rookie pick in 2007 to be more attractive to me than his 2006 pick as there was greater chance that it would be higher than the 2006 pick would be.

Users who are viewing this thread