What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Leagues with a toilet bowl (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Let's say your league gives $50 for the winner of the toilet bowl. It is my opinion that offering something like the 1.13 (assuming 12 team league) gives more incentive than the cash.
One exception may be DEVY leagues where you have separate rookie drafts from a one round DEVY draft (draft underclassman still in college), which lessens the value of the 1.13 rookie pick most years. However, in DEVY drafts that combine the rookie and DEVY players in one draft, the 1.13 is much more valuable. In basic dynasty I believe the 1.13 is more valuable than the $50.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
In our league, the losers bracket winner gets the 1.1 rookie pick the next season. The rest of the teams fall in based on season record, worst to best.
I can see where that may be an incentive to prevent tanking, but in general it is bad for dynasty leagues because IMO you want the worst team to get the 1.01 for competitive balance.
True, and even more so in our league considering most of the "winners" of that pick have already traded it in previous years trades, meaning the rich get richer.

Let's say your league gives $50 for the winner of the toilet bowl. It is my opinion that offering something like the 1.13 (assuming 12 team league) gives more incentive than the cash.
One exception may be DEVY leagues where you have separate rookie drafts from a one round DEVY draft (draft underclassman still in college), which lessens the value of the 1.13 rookie pick most years. However, in DEVY drafts that combine the rookie and DEVY players in one draft, the 1.13 is much more valuable. In basic dynasty I believe the 1.13 is more valuable than the $50.

What are your thoughts?
Our TB winner gets 1.13 (12 team league) and I've always really liked that.

basic dynasty I believe the 1.13 is more valuable than the $50.
Agreed, but it just comes down to whether you want to advance the team a bit or give the owner a prize that doesn’t affect league balance at all.

In our league, the losers bracket winner gets the 1.1 rookie pick the next season. The rest of the teams fall in based on season record, worst to best.
I can see where that may be an incentive to prevent tanking, but in general it is bad for dynasty leagues because IMO you want the worst team to get the 1.01 for competitive balance.
True, and even more so in our league considering most of the "winners" of that pick have already traded it in previous years trades, meaning the rich get richer.
So, adjust your strategy accordingly

For teams that need incentive to put out a competitive team in these situations none of these "incentives" work. You can't come up with something worth enough to really get them to do the right thing. Good managers do the right thing without incentive.

But for toilet bowl type rewards I like having some monetary reward as a cost offset that doesn't affect future league balance.

In our league we give $50 to the winner, and the 19th pick. And the runner up gets the 26th pick. We also found that $50 wasn't much of an incentive even though the Toilet Bowl doesn't effect draft position in our league.

What are your thoughts?
Toilet bowl, or consolation bracket? I've never heard of a toilet bowl winner being awarded anything. All of our non-playoff teams (5 teams) play in a bracket for their $50 league dues back. But the toilet bowl, at least by our definition, is just the bottom two teams, fighting to advance in the consolation bracket.

What are your thoughts?
Toilet bowl, or consolation bracket? I've never heard of a toilet bowl winner being awarded anything. All of our non-playoff teams (5 teams) play in a bracket for their $50 league dues back. But the toilet bowl, at least by our definition, is just the bottom two teams, fighting to advance in the consolation bracket.
I've heard it called both.

I'm fine with the worst team getting it, but the way this also plays out is people tank, or mail it in, and ignore the wire towards the end of the season, which is worse for competitive balance than maybe getting bumped down a few spots.

It seems logical, but in reality, having everyone fight to the end is much better for balance

In my buddy's dynasty league, they just changed to the bottom 4 teams (8 make playoffs) playing a 3 week-aggregate 'toilet bowl" for picks 1.01-1.04. So the 12th place team, could very easily come up with the 1.04 pick. Thoughts on this?

Imo this is how they should all be.
I like it, but I'd do it on points. I think that's a better indicator of how good/bad a team is, rather than the luck of the schedule.
It also minimizes tanking to an extent. Have to be competitive enough to win it

14 team dynasty... our toilet bowl winner gets the same number of ping pong balls as the worst record .. we do a whole lottery selection "show" for it as well. I don't think I have ever seen the worst record wind up lower than 1.03.

6 teams make playoffs and are slotted in round 1 based on order of finish. Other 8 go into the lottery. 2nd round/3rd rounds are based on regular season order of finish

Users who are viewing this thread