What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Draft hopeful James Wilder Jr. arrested

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT

James Wilder Jr., a former Florida State running back who is hoping to be drafted next month, was arrested in Tampa on Sunday night.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that Wilder was arrested on an outstanding warrant related to a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was arrested at 7:21 p.m. on Sunday and released on $1,000 bail at 12:20 a.m. on Monday.

According to the report, Wilder has been cited for violations related to his drivers license at least four times. He was also arrested in February of 2012 and was accused of battery on an officer; he later pleaded no contest to a charge of resisting an officer without violence. Wilder spent time in jail later that year after he violated his probation by having traces of alcohol on his breath when he reported to a sheriff’s work camp.

Wilder had 81 carries for 563 yards and eight touchdowns last season in helping the Seminoles win the national championship. He decided to forego his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

Wilder’s father was a Pro Bowl running back for the Buccaneers and is Tampa Bay’s all-time leading rusher.
2014 NFL Draft: RB James Wilder arrested for fourth timeBy Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Former Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. was arrested on Sunday night in Tampa on an outstanding warrant. He was cited on March 1 for driving with a suspended license with knowledge and missed his court date.

Wilder, who is the son of 10-year NFL running back James Wilder, issued the following statement on Monday:

Last night in my hometown of Tampa, Florida, I was pulled over by an officer and arrested on a warrant for missing a court date for driving with a suspended license. My license had been suspended in Florida while I was training in California for the NFL Combine. Several weeks ago, when I returned home, my license was reinstated, but I did miss a mandatory court date. The police officers were all professional and I apologized to them for my actions. There is really no excuse for missing court dates.

I have good people in my life who always tell me to watch what I do because I am in the public eye, and because kids look up to me. I really do want to be the kind of person who makes people proud. I am not proud of myself when I make mistakes like this.

I've seen articles today about other mistakes I have made in my life, like missing court dates for traffic violations or the time I argued with a police officer over an issue my girlfriend and I were having. I know there are no excuses for those things, even though for the longest time I told myself they were small things and not a big deal. But they are a big deal, because I am a better person than that.

Today I am celebrating my birthday with family and friends. I'm another year older, and another year wiser. I also know there are lots of people waiting for me to prove that.

I am thankful for all that God has blessed me with in my life.

While his 4.83 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine was alarming, four arrests over the past two seasons is an even more disappointing number. He was arrested in Feb. 2012 for resisting arrest, underage drinking in June 2012 and twice for a suspended license, the first in Jan. 2013 and then Sunday.

All of his legal issues have been non-violent and probably excusable by NFL teams if isolated incidents, but four run-ins with the law in a 26-month period is a pattern of irresponsibility.

Wilder, who has a 1-year old daughter, flashed playmaking talent in his three seasons at Florida State with 20 rushing touchdowns over his career despite only two starts as part of the Seminoles deep backfield. He looks more like an athlete than natural running back due to his height, upright running style and lean, muscular build. Wilder is a freaky athlete with excellent body control to contort his frame and elude tackles, but his inconsistent pad level and suspect run instincts limit his effectiveness at the line of scrimmage.

Bottom line, Wilder has intriguing athletic talent, but not all those traits translate well to being an effective NFL back. Factor in the off-field red flags and evidence of immaturity and Wilder will be lucky to hear his name drafted at all.

So unless you are going with the post combine weight for Mendenhall I see little difference between him and Mendenhall and Sankey has better college performance than Mendenhall had. So wouldn't that make Sankey a lock for the 1st round if your criteria were correct?
Mendenhall was 225 at the combine when he ran 4.45:

But the back who might have helped himself the most was Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall. He ran a 4.45 40 at 225 pounds -- fast for his size. Scouts also said he looked chiseled at his weigh-in. Mendenhall had 26 reps in the bench press.

"He's a complete stud," one scout who saw him said. "The gap is probably closing between he and McFadden."
That's a far cry from Sankey's 209.

So unless you are going with the post combine weight for Mendenhall I see little difference between him and Mendenhall and Sankey has better college performance than Mendenhall had. So wouldn't that make Sankey a lock for the 1st round if your criteria were correct?
Mendenhall was 225 at the combine when he ran 4.45:

But the back who might have helped himself the most was Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall. He ran a 4.45 40 at 225 pounds -- fast for his size. Scouts also said he looked chiseled at his weigh-in. Mendenhall had 26 reps in the bench press.

"He's a complete stud," one scout who saw him said. "The gap is probably closing between he and McFadden."
That's a far cry from Sankey's 209.
Mendy also was better in college, albeit in slightly less carries.

Bears keep tabs on RB James White

By Jeff Dickerson | ESPN.com

The release of veteran running back Michael Bush on March 10 left a hole in the Chicago Bears' backfield the team must eventually fill.

While the Bears do currently have second-year tailback/return man Michael Ford slotted behind two-time Pro Bowler Matt Forte on the depth chart, the team could use more depth and competition at the position.

That help could arrive next month if the Bears select a running back somewhere between the fourth and sixth rounds of the upcoming NFL draft, a reasonable target area given the priority in the early rounds will likely be safety, cornerback, defensive tackle and inside linebacker, in no particular order.

One backfield prospect to keep tabs on is former Wisconsin running back James White, who led all rushers with 11 carries for 62 yards and one touchdown at the 2014 Senior Bowl.

The Bears recently traveled to Wisconsin's campus in Madison to put White through a private pre-draft workout, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Although listed at 5-foot-9, 204 pounds, White finished his four-year career at Wisconsin as the Badgers' No. 4 all-time leading rusher with 4,015 yards and ranks No. 3 in school history with 45 rushing touchdowns.

White ran for 1,444 yards and 13 touchdowns and caught 39 passes for 300 yards and two scores for Wisconsin last season. He also returned kickoffs his first two years in Madison.

Keep in mind, the Bears require a versatile running back that is capable of not only picking up yards on the ground if called upon, but also a player that can catch the ball out of the backfield. Utilizing the tailback in the passing game is a key component of Marc Trestman's offense, and one of Forte's greatest strengths since entering the league in 2008.

In addition to White, there should be an ample supply of running backs for the Bears to choose from in the later rounds if the organization decides to fill that need via the draft.

Other names to consider are Alabama State's Isaiah Crowell, Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas (the Bears reportedly hosted Thomas on a top-30 pre-draft visit at Halas Hall), Tennessee's Rajion Neal, Stanford's Tyler Gaffney, Louisville's Senorise Perry, Arizona State's Marion Grice and Florida State's James Wilder, Jr., among others.

Grice suffered a lower leg injury last year and had to wait until last week to work out in front of scouts at his personal Pro Bowl. Representatives from 17 NFL teams were in attendance. The Bears were not present, but the 6-foot, 207 pound Grice did catch 91 passes out of the backfield for the Sun Devils over the last two seasons.

The Bears also worked out a handful of veteran free agent running backs last week at Halas Hall.

For IDP leaguers...

Former Gamecocks football players Victor Hampton and Kelcy Quarles are wanted for questioning by the New York City Police Department in connection to an alleged fight at an New York nightclub, TMZ Sports is reporting.

The WebSite said cornerback Hampton and defensive tackle Quarles are “wanted for questioning at the very least” regarding an incident at Greenhouse nightclub on April 11.

Both are expected to be selected in the upcoming NFL Draft as second or third round picks.

Sources told TMZ.com say there was a fight in the VIP section of the club involving a club promoter -- who was allegedly attacked by three men and suffered “extensive facial injuries.”

Report: Colorado WR Paul Richardson visiting 49ersBy Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Wide receiver appears to be one of the deepest positions in the 2014 NFL Draft, and that means teams looking to boost their passing games will have plenty of intriguing options to choose from, even after the first round.

The Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers both have a need at the position and, in particular, for somebody who can stretch the field. Chip Kelly is now without DeSean Jackson, so he could use a player capable of creating space for Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper. 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's targets include Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd and Michael Crabtree, but nobody who qualifies as a speed guy.

Kelly has said that size is one way for a receiver to create separation, so Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin, whom NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah has going to the Eagles at No. 22 in his latest mock draft, makes sense, but there still would be a need for somebody from the later rounds who runs the 40-yard dash in less than 4.5 seconds. San Francisco could find itself in a similar position on the draft's second day (Rounds 2-3) -- the team was said to have interest in Jackson before he signed with the Redskins.

There might just be some good fits available when the teams pick on Day 2.

San Francisco, in particular, has some flexibility to move up and down the board with six picks in the top 100, and in his two-round mock draft, analyst Bucky Brooks has the team selecting Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief in the second round as its potential field-stretcher. Moncrief is not as physical as the 49ers' other receivers, but has the speed they lack; he ran a 4.40 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

"Moncrief is a remarkable size-speed athlete, with the potential to slide into Boldin's spot when the veteran retires in a few seasons," Brooks wrote.

Another option for the 49ers could be Colorado's Paul Richardson, who also ran a 4.40 at the combine. Richardson is visiting the team this week, according to sacbee.com, along with wide receivers Martavis Bryant of Clemson and Albert Wilson of Georgia State. While fast-rising Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer has yet to visit the team, the report cites a league source that said the 49ers are also taking a close look at him.

As for Richardson, he showed he was fully recovered from a torn ACL with a terrific 2013 season, leading the Buffaloes in just about every receiving category despite inconsistent quarterback play and a heavy dose of double coverage. His father, Paul, played wide receiver for several seasons in the NFL, too, so he understands what it takes to succeed at the next level. He could be in play for San Francisco with their picks at Nos. 61 and 77 overall, but his stock has been rising as of late.

Potential speedy Day 3 options at receiver include Baylor's Tevin Reese, Kent State RB/WR Dri Archer and South Carolina's Bruce Ellington.

In a deep year with plenty of turf-burning wide receivers available, it's safe to say teams will have a number of choices they could go with to fill that need for speed.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Big Board: Bridgewater rates as No. 1 QB, but scouts looking deeper

by Rob Rang

The 2014 NFL Draft is long on talent and short on guarantees. Even the top player in the draft -- South Carolina pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney -- comes with plenty of question marks.

Scouts seem just as intrigued by the quarterbacks likely to be available in the second round as they are on those who may get selected in the top 10.

The Big Board isn't a mock draft and doesn't take team needs into consideration. Instead, after taking into consideration the workouts, interviews -- and, most importantly, the tape -- it is my personal ranking of the top 100 prospects available in the 2014 NFL Draft.

* Denotes underclassmen

1. DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina (6-5, 266, 4.53)*: There is no question Clowney failed to live up to expectations in 2013 from a statistical standpoint, but as he demonstrated in Indianapolis and again at his pro day, the South Carolina star possesses a once-in-a-generation combination of size and explosiveness. Whether at defensive end or outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment, he'll make an immediate impact in the NFL -- precisely why he has been my top-rated prospect since last spring.

2. OT Greg Robinson, Auburn (6-5, 332, 4.92)*: Physical and tenacious, Robinson is a grizzly bear in the running game, mauling opponents with an exciting blend of size, strength and athleticism. Auburn's reliance on the running game, however, provided Robinson few opportunities in pass protection. With some polish, he could prove an Orlando Pace-like presence in the NFL.

3. OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo (6-3, 251, 4.65): With an FBS-record 16 career forced fumbles and record-tying 75 career tackles for loss, Mack's statistics jump off the page. Against the most gifted opponents he faced last year (Ohio State, Baylor, Connecticut), it was his game that jumped off the screen. He shaved more than a tenth of a second off of his 40-yard dash time during his pro day, demonstrating the athleticism to intrigue scouts from 3-4 and 4-3 teams, alike. That versatility will almost certainly land him a spot in the top six. As I've been reporting since January, some even view him as a dark horse candidate for the Texans at No. 1 overall.

4. OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (6-5, 308, 5.07): The son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, Jake proves the cliche true -- the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He played well at left tackle last season after starring at right tackle for three years and like his father, projects well to any position along the offensive line. While perhaps not an elite athlete, Matthews is a terrific football player, demonstrating impressive technique, strength and consistency.

5. WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson (6-1, 211, 4.43)*: Watkins lacks the elite size that helped A.J. Green, Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson earn top six selections since 2007, but he does possess virtually everything else, including instant acceleration, impressive body control and the natural hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame. Watkins could go as high as No. 2 to the St. Louis Rams.

6. QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (6-2, 214, 4.67)*: There is no sense sugarcoating it, Bridgewater was disappointing during his March 17 pro day, showing less zip and accuracy than in any game I've seen over his three seasons as a starter for the Cardinals. Rather than sling the ball with confidence, he threw tentatively, pushing the ball toward targets and forcing them to adjust too often. A case of nerves with an estimated 100 scouts in attendance isn't enough to drop him from my top spot among quarterbacks, especially given that Bridgewater previously impressed with his poise and accuracy during big games. Due to his accuracy and success in a pro-style scheme that asked him to come to the line of scrimmage with multiple plays and pick the correct one based on the defense, I believe Bridgewater to be the most pro-ready quarterback of the class.

7. OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA (6-5, 255, 4.66): Barr's emergence as one of the nation's elite NFL prospects after languishing as a running back early in his career has been well documented. Barr exploded in 2012 in his first season on the defensive side of the ball and backed it up with another spectacular campaign in 2013, including 65 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and five forced fumbles, earning him the Lott IMPACT Trophy. His burst and bend around the corner make him an immediate threat as 3-4 rush linebacker. He shaved nearly a quarter second off of his combine 40-yard dash time at UCLA's pro day, clocking in at 4.44 seconds and improved his numbers in the bench press from 14 to 19.

8. QB Blake Bortles, Central Florida* (6-5, 232, 4.93): A prototypically-built pocket passer with good awareness, athleticism and arm talent, Bortles looks the part of an NFL star quarterback. He also played well against top talent (including South Carolina, Penn State and Baylor) and impressed me with his willingness to compete at the combine. He was good -- not great -- during his workout in Indianapolis and his pro day, demonstrating plenty of velocity but inconsistent accuracy, especially on the deep ball. Bortles did show improved footwork in his pro day workout, evidence that he may be just scratching the surface of his potential.

9. CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State (5-11, 199, 4.52): Quick feet, loose hips and a fluid turning motion make Dennard a classic cover corner capable of shutting down half the field. Dennard allowed only three completions in 31 passes of 15-plus yards targeted against him last season, and was recognized with the Thorpe Award as the nation's elite defensive back. A solid workout in Indianapolis eased concerns about his straight-line speed. Critics of his overall athleticism were rebuked with Dennard posting an 11-foot, 2-inch broad jump, which would have tied Baylor running Lache Seastrunk for the longest recorded from any player tested at the 2014 combine.

10. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State (6-0, 202, 4.37): With the NFL increasingly favoring offenses, the value of playmakers on either side of the ball has never been higher. Gilbert led the Big 12 with seven interceptions in 2013 and returned six kickoffs for touchdowns over his career. There are other defensive backs in this class who offer a more well-rounded game, but in terms of size, agility and speed, no cornerback offers a more intriguing skill-set than the Cowboys star.

11. OLB C.J. Mosley, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.65): While a bit undersized, Mosley might be the best pound-for-pound player in the country. Athletic and instinctive, he is a true three-down linebacker capable of making plays against the run and pass. Mosley lacks the bulk scouts want in a pass rusher but his awareness in coverage is special. While the tape is phenomenal, Mosley has undergone multiple surgeries (knee, shoulder) over his career and could be the latest Alabama player to receive medical red flags from some evaluators.

12. WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M (6-5, 231, 4.53)*: In dominating SEC competition the past two seasons, Evans has earned comparisons to Tampa Bay Bucs star Vincent Jackson, exhibiting a shocking combination of size, strength and deceptive speed. He is a nightmare to defend in jump-ball situations, a trait teams are finding increasingly valuable with the size of cornerbacks growing throughout the NFL. Evans sat on his numbers after a strong combine workout, but looked sharp in his cuts and displayed soft hands catching the ball from Manziel at their pro day.

13. OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame (6-4, 308, 5.22): The vast majority of Martin's school record 52 career starts came at left tackle, but his squareish frame and 32 1/4-inch arms will earn him a projection inside to guard for many. Regardless of where he lines up, Martin plays with the controlled aggression I love along the offensive line, latching on and controlling opponents with excellent strength. Martin was the best player on the field in Mobile.

14. DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh (6-1, 285, 4.68): Given the way he dominated competition in the ACC and at the Senior Bowl and combine, no player has enjoyed a steadier rise up draft boards this year than Donald. His size likely limits him to a three-technique role in the 4-3 alignment but given the NFL's increasing reliance on the pass, he is entering the league at the perfect time to star in just this capacity.

15. OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (6-1, 237, 4.58)*: Shazier may lack elite size but his instincts, speed and bone-jarring hits make him a fearful defender that offenses must account for on every snap. Statistics don't always tell the story, but they do with Shazier, whose 143 tackles, including an eye-popping 22.5 tackles for loss, not only led the Big Ten last season, they combined to rank among the best seasons from any Buckeye defender over the past quarter century. Shazier's unique explosiveness also came through in tests. His 42-inch vertical jump led all participants at the 2014 combine and his 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump ranked fourth. Shazier was also unofficially clocked at a staggering 4.36 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his March 7 pro day.

16. OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan (6-7, 309, 4.87): Massive, durable and ridiculously athletic for the position, Lewan's talent is obvious. The former defensive lineman plays with the tenacity and physicality you'd expect but remains overly reliant on his natural tools. Further, he sometimes allows his emotions to get the better of him, too often drawing silly penalties throughout his career. His reputation as an instigator wasn't helped with news that he's facing three misdemeanor assault charges based on an incident outside of a bar in Ann Arbor hours after his beloved Wolverines lost to Ohio State last season. Lewan has top-10 talent but in order to maximize his potential, he'll need to show improved maturity in the NFL.

17. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (6-0, 207, 4.68)*: Manziel's vision, elusiveness and accuracy on the move make him a magician in the improvisational game. Red flags were raised with mediocre performances against LSU and Missouri to end the regular season, however, as each team was able to contain his backyard-style of play by penning him in the pocket. Unable to create passing lanes with his feet, Manziel struggled with anticipation and accuracy. While there were no defenders at his March 27 pro day, Manziel did throw very well during a scripted 65-pass throwing regimen all while taking snaps from under center.

18. FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville (5-11, 207, 4.58)*: Pryor was overshadowed a bit by Bridgewater while with the Cardinals, but his stock will climb once scouts turn their attention to the instinctive and hard-hitting defender. He measured in smaller (listed at 6-2, 208 by the Cardinals' official website) and slower than scouts would have liked at the combine but certainly plays big and fast.

19. DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame (6-2, 331, 5.42)*: Though neither his combine nor pro day workout necessarily drew oohs and ahhs from scouts for aesthetic (or athletic) qualities, the portly nose guard proved during drills that he is fully recovered from the knee injury that ended his collegiate career prematurely. Stout, strong and surprisingly quick, Nix is the best nose guard of the 2014 draft -- a designation that could earn him a spot in the top 20.

20. TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina (6-4, 250, 4.60)*: Ebron possesses a jaw-dropping combination of size and athleticism that has earned comparisons to 49ers star Vernon Davis. Like Davis, however, Ebron struggles with consistency, relying too much on his athleticism rather than dedicating himself to learning the finer techniques of the position. Some team may very well gamble earlier on Ebron's incredible upside than my ranking indicates, but he drops too many easy passes for a spot in the top 15 for me.

21. DE Kony Ealy, Missouri (6-4, 273, 4.92)*: While teammate Michael Sam generates more media attention, scouts are increasingly intrigued by Ealy due to his impressive combination of size and athleticism. He led all defensive linemen at the combine with a 6.83-second time in the 3-cone drill -- a test designed to show change-of-direction ability -- and shaved more than a fifth of a second off of his combine 40-yard dash time (4.92) at his pro day (4.70). He remains a bit rough around the edges, but Ealy is a highly versatile defender who projects well to the 4-3 and 3-4 alike.

22. WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State (5-10, 189, 4.33): Cooks has enjoyed quite the past six months, first winning the Biletnikoff as the nation's top receiver and then $100,000 at the combine from Adidas for running the fastest 40-yard dash time for anyone wearing a pair of the company's cleats. The real winner, however, could be the NFL team that takes the dynamic athlete in the first round.

23. FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama* (6-1, 208, 4.58)*: While Pryor ranks as my top all-around player at the position, Clinton-Dix possesses the fluidity, instincts and ball-skills (seven interceptions in 19 career starts) to earn the title of the draft's best coverage safety. Clinton-Dix isn't without red-flags, however. He flashes rather than dominates and wasn't as athletic during combine drills as expected. It is also worth noting how few of Alabama's highly-regarded defensive backs have lived up to their draft status since leaving Nick Saban's tutelage.

24. WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU (5-11, 198, 4.43)*: Given the competition he faced in the SEC, it is a testament to Beckham's athleticism that he stood out as a big-play threat throughout his career. It is the overall improved concentration and consistency he demonstrated in his first season in Cam Cameron's pro-style offense, however, that makes him such an easy projection to the NFL. Beckham's well-built frame and explosiveness make him potentially dynamic as a receiver and returner.

25. DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (6-3, 251, 4.80)*: A gifted pass rusher with enough athleticism to occasionally slip inside or drop back into coverage, Lawrence is eerily reminiscent of Bruce Irvin, the Seattle Seahawks "surprise" first round pick in the 2012 draft. His length and varied pass rush skills are enough to intrigue 4-3 and 3-4 teams, alike.

26. DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State (6-2, 299, 5.06)*: Jernigan played a critical role in the Seminoles' run to the BCS title, showing a unique burst to penetrate gaps as well as the leverage and strength to hold up against the run. He possesses a powerful frame that makes him well-suited to handling interior duties in the 4-3 or 3-4 alignment and possesses exciting upside. Only one starting season, however, makes him a gamble in the first round.

27. WR Marqise Lee, Southern Cal (6-0, 192, 4.52)*: Lee looked like a future Pro Bowler during his first two seasons at Southern Cal, but a nagging left knee injury hampered him for much of the 2013 season, robbing the 2012 Biletnikoff Award winner of his trademark elusiveness and acceleration and his production plummeted as a result. When healthy, he's proven himself to be a dynamic weapon, but in a draft as blessed with receiver talent as this one, Lee's stock is very much on the bubble.

28. CB Jason Verrett, TCU (5-09, 189, 4.38): Verrett lacks the size so in vogue in today's NFL, but agility and ball-skills never go out of style for cornerbacks. While light, Verrett is scrappy and tenacious, making him an ideal nickel corner with the tackling ability to threaten on an occasional blitz. He wowed at the combine with his speed but also raised concerns, announcing that he will undergo surgery after his pro day to repair a torn labrum.

29. DE/OLB Dee Ford, Auburn (6-2, 252, 4.67): Ford dominated the Senior Bowl with his burst off the edge and surprising power. He has also shown intriguing agility when asked to drop into coverage, making him a candidate for virtually every team in the NFL. Medical red flags were raised at the combine due to an old back injury, but he worked out quite well at his pro day.

30. QB Derek Carr, Fresno State (6-2, 214, 4.69): Carr's staggering production (68.2 completion percentage, 50 TDs, 8 INTs) was certainly inflated by head coach Tim DeRuyter's QB-friendly spread attack and legitimately talented receiving corps, but any questions about his talent were put to rest with a stellar Senior Bowl week and an eye-popping pro day workout. In short, there is no doubt Carr is the most gifted thrower in this year's draft class. But there are questions about his poise, in part due to the fact that he was 0-2 in bowl games with the Bulldogs.

31. OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA (6-4, 307, 5.04)*: Despite playing out of position at left tackle due to injuries to teammates, Su'a-Filo was voted the top offensive lineman in the Pac-12 by those who'd know -- the conference's defensive linemen. Quick, powerful and balanced, he's equally effective driving defenders off the ball in the running game or settling in pass protection.

32. OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU (6-3, 243, 4.71): Plays with more of a finesse rather than forceful style that will turn off some scouts, but in terms of versatility and production, Van Noy ranks among the elite defenders in the entire class.

33. DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State (6-3, 274, 4.84)*: Blue-collar pass rusher who combines initial burst off the snap, heavy hands and a high-revving motor to generate consistent pressure. Fits best as a 4-3 defensive end due to some lower body stiffness.

34. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 194, 4.39)*: Boasts all of the athletic traits scouts are looking for including size, speed, fluidity and physicality. Struggled with consistency in 2013, perhaps in part due to the fact that he was often asked to play off, negating his athleticism and aggression.

35. OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama (6-5, 322, 5.59)*: Scared off some with a poor showing in drills and in medical exams conducted at the combine, but boasts great length as well as agility, balance and toughness.

36. FS Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois (5-11, 193, 4.59): Starred at cornerback and safety in the MAC and proved just as athletic and instinctive while splitting time at the two positions in Senior Bowl practices. Given the NFL's increasing focus on the pass, it isn't out of the question that Ward sneaks into the first round, despite less-than-ideal size.

37. OT Morgan Moses, Virginia (6-6, 314, 5.35): Played well at right tackle early in his career but enjoyed his best season after making the switch to the left side as a senior. Helped his cause with a stellar performance in Mobile, showing balance, long arms (35 5/8) and strong hands to latch onto opponents.

38. WR Donte Moncrief, Mississippi (6-2, 221, 4.40)*: Stood out against SEC competition throughout his career and wowed at the Combine with his raw athleticism. Has the upside to warrant a first-round gamble but remains a better athlete than football player to this point and may require some patience.

39. DL Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (6-5, 304, 4.92)*: There is no questioning Tuitt's talent. He's shown a combination of size, strength and athleticism to earn comparisons to Richard Seymour from some scouts. However, there are plenty of red flags with the talented defender, not the least of which was his decision to turn pro a year early despite a disappointing junior campaign that began with him clearly playing his way into shape.

40. WR Allen Robinson, Penn State (6-2, 220, 4.60)*: Boasting size, acceleration and leaping ability, Robinson looks like a classic WCO split end -- precisely what Houston Texans' head coach Bill O'Brien used him as with the Nittany Lions.

41. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada (6-4, 302, 4.97): Dominated at left tackle the past three seasons and made a seamless transition inside to guard at the Senior Bowl, impressing with his physicality and underrated athleticism. Seen by some as a poor man's Zack Martin and may join him as a first-round pick.

42. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (6-0, 190, 4.49): Quick, instinctive and physical, Fuller may be the best zone corner in the draft. Concerns about his relatively slim build, however, could push him outside of the draft's top 32.

43. OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State (6-3, 336, 5.51): Like 2013 first-round pick Chance Warmack, Jackson is a mauler in the running game with surprising balance and lateral agility to mirror in pass protection.

44. WR Davante Adams, Fresno State (6-1, 212, 4.56)*: Dominated in 2013, leading the country with a staggering 24 touchdowns receptions, Adams is a broad-shouldered, physical receiver who consistently beats corners in jump-ball situations because of his size, body control and leaping ability.

45. QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois (6-2, 226, 4.97): Proved a man among boys at the FCS level and stunned observers by performing just as well at the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl and combine. Makes quick decisions and has a snappy release, making him a nice fit in a rhythm-based offense.

46. OT Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee (6-6, 311, 5.34): The best offensive lineman no one seems to be talking about; four-year starter with the length, power and agility to plug and play immediately.

47. DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota (6-6, 310, 5.02): A true gamble on greatness, Hageman (pronounced Hayg-men) is an athletic freak capable of dominating the line of scrimmage but too often disappears. Undeniable upside and scheme versatility could earn him a spot in the first round, but that's too rich for me.

48. WR Cody Latimer, Indiana (6-3, 215, 4.45)*: Intriguing developmental prospect whose experience on the basketball court shows with his fluidity, balance and soft hands. Plays with the grit to endear him to coaches, blocking well for teammates and showing rare strength at the combine (WR-leading 23 reps in the bench press).

49. TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame (6-6, 270, 4.84)*: A throwback tight end at his best paving lanes in the running game and serving as a security blanket rather than as a seam threat. Given a second-round grade from the Advisory Committee and may prove a better player in the pros than in college.

50. DE Marcus Smith, Louisville (6-3, 251, 4.68)* : Athletic, instinctive and aggressive edge rusher whose initially signed with the Cardinals as a quarterback. Impressive fluidity to attack off the edge or drop back and is well respected for his passion and work ethic.

51. DT Will Sutton, Arizona State (6-1, 303, 5.36)

52. OC Weston Richburg, Colorado State (6-3, 298, 5.10)

53. CB Marcus Roberson, Florida (6-0, 191, 4.61)*

54. RB Bishop Sankey, Washington (5-10, 209, 4.49)*

55. RB Tre Mason, Auburn (5-09, 207, 5-07, 207, 4.50)*

56. DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina (6-6, 272, 4.72)

57. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington (6-6, 272, 4.75)*

58. DT DaQuan Jones, Penn State (6-4, 322, 5.35)

59. SS Deone Bucannon, Washington State (6-1, 211, 4.49)

60. TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech (6-5, 265, 4.74)*

61. OC Marcus Martin, Southern Cal (6-3, 320, 5.28)*

62. WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina (5-09, 197, 4.45)*

63. ILB Carl Bradford, Arizona State (6-1, 250, 4.76)*

64. OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech (6-3, 252, 4.68)

65. CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida (6-0, 194, 4.41)

66. FS Terrence Brooks, Florida State (5-11, 198, 4.42)

67. RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State (6-0, 230, 4.66)

68. DT Ego Ferguson, LSU (6-3, 315, 6-3, 315, 4.98)*

69. DT Dominique Easley, Florida (6-2, 288, 4.93)

70. DT Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina (6-4, 297, 5.03)*

71. CB Phillip Gaines, Rice (6-0, 193, 4.38)

72. WR Jarvis Landry, LSU (5-11, 205, 4.77)

73. WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State (6-5, 240, 4.61)*

74. RB Jeremy Hill, LSU (6-1, 233, 4.66)*

75. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia (6-1, 207, 4.84)

76. OT Billy Turner, North Dakota State (6-5, 315, 5.16)

77. WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson (6-4, 211, 4.42)*

78. CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State (5-08, 184, 4.55)

79. OG David Yankey, Stanford (6-6, 315, 5.48)*

80. OG Dakota Dozier, Furman (6-4, 313, 5.42)

81. DE/OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford (6-5, 250, 4.86)

82. OLB Trevor Reilly, Utah (6-5, 245, 4.70)

83. DE Will Clarke, West Virginia (6-6, 271, 4.77)

84. WR Paul Richardson, Colorado (6-0, 175)*

85. OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee (6-6, 336, 5.30)*

86. ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin (6-0, 248, 4.83)

87. QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU (6-5, 224, 5.0)

88. OLB Telvin Smith, Florida State (6-3, 218, 4.52)

89. TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, 6-6, 265, 4.76)

90. RB Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona (5-09, 207, 4.70)*

91. OT Jack Mewhort, Ohio State (6-6, 309, 5.37)

92. CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood (6-1, 198, 4.59)

93. WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (6-3, 212, 4.46)

94. CB Bashaud Breeland, Clemson (5-11, 197, 4.62)*

95. QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama (6-3, 220, 4.94)

96. RB Terrance West, Towson (5-09, 225, 4.54)*

97. QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh (6-4, 228, 4.97)

98. RB Andre Williams, Boston College (5-11, 230, 4.56)

99. ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford (6-2, 245, 4.85)

100. CB Rashaad Reynolds, Oregon State (5-10, 189, 4.51)

Rob Rang (@RobRang) is a senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com

Best rankings yet from Rang. Agree that Moncrief, Robinson, and Latimer are the three best second tier WR prospects.

2014 Pro Days: QB Aaron Murray healthy, impressive in workoutBy Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

For a prospect who was a four-year SEC starting quarterback and holds numerous school and conference passing records, Georgia's Aaron Murray still has a lot to prove. And on Wednesday at the school's on-campus pro day, he checked a lot of boxes for NFL scouts, most importantly throwing well with his surgically repaired knee.

Murray completed 48 of 54 passes outside on the Bulldogs' practice fields, showing he could throw the entire route tree and that the knee injury wasn't a concern. He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee last November and rehabbed vigorously to be walking without crutches by the NFL combine and looked natural in his movements on Wednesday -- a remarkable recovery in less than five months.

Murray's 54-pass script was run by former NFL quarterback coach, Terry Shea, and was designed to show a myriad of different throws with the former Bulldog quarterback moving, planting and showing full range of motion with his knee.

“I feel great right now,” said Murray, who didn't participate in any of the agility drills like the 40-yard dash. “I feel no limitations with the knee. I think everyone today saw that between all the movement I was doing, the cutting, the sprinting. We put a lot of throws on the right, left, demonstrate my ability to cut off my leg and show everyone that I'm healthy. These teams don't have to worry about if they draft me, I'm going to have to sit out or something like that.”

With 23 NFL teams represented, Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley, Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson and several others were in attendance to see Murray perform.

At a hair under 6-1 and 207 pounds, Murray doesn't have the size NFL teams covet at the position, but similar to Russell Wilson, he grades above average with his mental development and natural intangibles to run an offense. He leaves Georgia as the most accomplished passer in school history, running a traditional under-center, pro-style offense with a lot of I-formation and NFL throws.

Murray lacks ideal physical traits with his size and arm strength, but he is an extremely detailed passer with his mechanics and movements, showing the decisions of a smart, seasoned veteran. He thrives with a clean pocket and clear sight lines, but it's a different story when pressured, lacking the escapability to routinely run away from pass rushers.

Murray has strong football character traits with a coachable attitude and has even attracted some Russell Wilson comparisons. And when healthy, Murray's NFL floor is as a solid NFL backup, but that might also be his ceiling as the lack of physical tools might be too much to overcome. However, his positive workout on Wednesday only helped remind NFL teams how talented Murray is and it shouldn't surprise anyone if he is a top-100 pick on draft weekend.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay believes Alabama WR Kevin Norwood is a good fit for the Patriots.
"Not sure Patriots want another young WR," McShay hedged before writing: "Norwood is a fit. Possession wide receiver with a high football IQ (option routes, etc.) and reliable hands." The Patriots have met with Norwood, so we at least know they're intrigued. Norwood (6-foot-2, 198 pounds) ran a 4.48 in Indy, so don't be confused by the "possession" label. What McShay means, instead, is that the Crimson Tide product has great hands, can pluck the ball in traffic, and wins in contested situations. He's underrated, which is a little unbelievable when you consider the program he's coming from.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter
Ball State QB Keith Wenning worked out for the Ravens on Tuesday and has two upcoming meetings scheduled, according to National Football Post's Aaron Wilson.
He'll talk with Vikings' management on Wednesday, and hop over to that squad's greatest rivals when he speaks with the Packers the next day. Wenning has a chance to carve out a career as a backup, but that's about the extent of his upside. He won't be able to pop the top off the defense, but could potentially, in a pinch, move the sticks with short-to-intermediate completions. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes, which is why you might hear his name called in Rds. 6 or 7.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jets GM John Idzik attended Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro's pro day in March.
"He's on Jets short list," tweeted the New York Daily News' Manish Metah, and "will be visiting Florham Park next week." Mehta, a beat writer, noted earlier this month that Amaro could be a second-round target. Amaro (6-foot-5 3/8 and 265 pounds) is a huge and willing -- if not terribly effective -- blocker, but he's not going to earn his paychecks doing grunt work. The Red Raiders' star snagged 106 receptions last year and set an NCAA record for a TE with 1,352 receiving yards. He's a natural on routes, extremely fluid and a quick-twitch mover. He's also capable of exploiting the mismatches his athleticism affords. As you may have ascertained, we rubber stamp a Round 2 selection.

Source: Manish Metah on Twitter
The Panthers are working out LSU WRs Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr., according to David Newton.
Receivers coach Ricky Proehl is reportedly one of the Panthers' staffers on site. OBJ will not be available at pick No. 28, and it is doubtful the Panthers trade up for his services. Landry is an option on the second day, however, and operates best in the slot by winning in contested situations or separating with little wasted movement.

Source: David Newton on Twitter
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo visited the Patriots earlier this week, according to ESPN's Mike Reiss.
New England has interestingly devoted at least three of their 30 in-house visits to quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater, in addition to Garoppolo). Tom Brady, of course, turns 37 before the season, while the team's only other rostered QB, Ryan Mallett, is scheduled to become a free agent after this season. When he has a smooth target and an open primary receiver, Garoppolo will look like a first-rounder, getting the ball out super quickly and generally on the money. However, when the pass rush gets in his face, Garoppolo's play tends to disintegrate. If that was happening at a non-elite level of college football, in the happiest of spread/shotgun QB systems, we're curious why so many seem to believe it'll be coached away against far, far superior defenders.

Source: ESPN.com
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Seminoles
Panthers WR coach Ricky Proehl is visiting FSU on Wednesday.
Proehl will obviously be taking a look at Kelvin Benjamin, but could also be checking out Kenny Shaw. Scrolling through Proehl's twitter feed, he has recently taken visits to Coastal Carolina, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Wyoming, Fresno State, USC and Oregon State.

Source: Ricky Proehl on Twitter
Fresno State QB Derek Carr is visiting the Bucs on Wednesday, according to beat writer Jenna Laine.
The Bucs signed Josh McCown to be the starter in 2014, but the new decision makers have shown zero attachment to Mike Glennon. Carr is an unlikely option at No. 7, but a team could trade back into the first-round to lock up that fifth year contract option.

Source: Jenna Laine on Twitter
Georgia TE Arthur Lynch posted a 29-inch vertical jump and then decided to stand on the rest of his combine at Georgia’s pro day on Wednesday.
Lynch (6-foot-4 1/4, 256 pounds) "caught the ball well with no drops, having one double catch and two really nice outstanding catches," wrote NFL.com's Gil Brandt. NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Lynch is a poor man's Heather Miller due to his dual ability to catch and block. The former top prep prospect, a lauded in-line blocker, should be a third-day pick.

Source: NFL.com
Aaron Murray (ACL) threw 52-of-54 catchable balls at Georgia’s pro day on Wednesday, but NFL.com's Gil Brandt noted that "toward the end of the workout it appeared as if his arm got tired."
Murray's surgically-repaired knee "looked stable" in front of reps from 20 NFL teams. Included in that bunch was the QB coaches from the Cowboys, Jaguars, Chiefs, Saints and Rams. Interestingly, Jacksonville also sent its head coach (Gus Bradley) and general manager (David Caldwell), while St. Louis dispatched director of player personnel Taylor Morton. Brandt did clarify that, despite the fatigue, Murray looked good. "He’s a not-get-too-high or not-get-too-low type of player," the analyst wrote. "If there’s a run on quarterbacks in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, he could wind up being selected in that round."

Source: NFL.com

Best rankings yet from Rang. Agree that Moncrief, Robinson, and Latimer are the three best second tier WR prospects.
What would the 1st tier look like?

I have the WR ranked like this right now-

Watkins

Evans - These seem to be the most agreed upon top 2 but not really in their own tier ahead of

----------------------

Lee

Beckham

Cooks

I think these 5 WR have solid floors and enough upside to potentially be WR1s to strong WR 2 in fantasy.

WR Jordan Matthews
WR Kelvin Benjamin
WR Allen Robinson

I think these 3 WR are not that different than the above tier except that I don't think they have as much upside as the top 5 do. In the case of Benjamin I feel there is more bust risk or he would be in the top tier.

So in one way I could consider these 8 WR all a similar tier. They are separated mostly by what I consider risk. But I think all 8 of these WR have the potential to be starters in FF.

WR Jarvis Landry
WR Davonte Adams
WR Donte Moncrief
WR Martavis Bryant
WR Cody Latimer

I am not as confident in these 5 WR becoming starters as I am the above 8 WR. They do have upside as well in the right situation, but I expect WR2 production more likely than these WR being their teams WR1.

Then a long list of maybe being able to produce some value for your team, but most likely a WR3 type career expected.

WR Sammy Coates
WR Jeff Janis
WR Josh Huff
WR Bruce Ellington
WR Kevin Norwood
WR Robert Herron
WR Mike Davis
WR Paul Richardson
WR Dri Archer
WR Shaquelle Evans
WR/TE Brandon Coleman
WR Cody Hoffman
WR L'Damian Washington
WR Matt Hazel

So that is pretty good. 13 WR who you might consider startable 2015 and beyond. With a deep group of other prospects who could join them with some luck/right situation.

As far as the nfl.com weight data being an estimate, it seems like the NFL should want to post the correct information on their website instead of Naworcki's guesses. My bad thinking they would do that.

We'll see what things look like after the draft, but for now I'd say Watkins is worthy of the 1.01 rookie pick and Evans/Beckham/Lee/Cooks are likely to be "do not draft" candidates for me depending on their rookie draft ADP. It's not that I hate them. Only that I don't know if they're going to justify the picks needed to acquire them. I'm not really an Evans fan and Beckham/Cooks/Lee don't quite fit the mold of dominant FF producers given their lack of size and (apart from Cooks) sheer burner speed. They figure to be system-dependent WR2 types. Something alone the lines of Kendall Wright (in a weak situation) or Randall Cobb (in an ideal situation). Without the team context, it's hard to get excited about that with your 1.02-1.03 rookie pick.

All of those guys make a lot more sense to me in the 1.06-1.08 range than in the top 5, yet numbers dictate that somebody has to come off the board 1.02-1.04. So if you're sitting in those slots (which I am in several leagues), you've got a little bit of a problem on your hands. You're looking at "good" prospects in a draft slot where you'd typically be hoping for "great." And the suckiness of this RB class means you probably shouldn't assume that there will be some risers there to improve things. To make a long story short, I see a pretty small gap between the 1.03 and the ~1.08-1.09.

I think the sweet spot for FF value is the 1.08-1.12 range of the rookie draft where you can nab a Moncrief, Robinson, or Latimer. All guys who are better NFL prospects than Hyde/Mason/Hill/Sankey and are in some ways more prototypical FF receivers than Cooks/Beckham/Lee/Evans.

I'm not really an Evans fan
Could you explain what you don't like about his game?
Stiff. Upright. Limited suddenness. Questionable separation skills. Not elusive in the open field.

With so many people being so high on him, I can't rule out the possibility of him being successful. I have the 1.02 pick in a couple leagues and if the draft was tomorrow I would take him based on that, but I would do so with the intention of holding him hostage until I got a fair offer from a believer.

It's not that I hate him. It's just that I don't particularly like him either. And if I'm using a top 3-4 pick on somebody, I'd like to feel like it's a can't-miss.

From Rob Rangs list above just the skill players with the rank number-

5 Watkins
6 Bridgewater
8 Bortles
12 Evans
17 Manziel
20 Ebron
22 Cooks
24 Beckham
27 Lee
30 Carr
38 Moncrief
40 Robinson
44 Adams
45 Garoppolo
48 Latimer
54 Sankey
55 Mason
57 ASJ
60 Amaro
62 Ellington
67 Hyde
72 Landry
73 Benjamin
74 Hill
75 Murray
77 Bryant
84 Richardson
87 Mettenberger
89 C J Fiedorowicz
90 Carey
93 Matthews
95 McCarron
96 West
97 Savage
98 Andre Williams

It is notable to me that Rob Rang ranks Ebron ahead of Lee/Beckham/Cooks. This is a big board ranking, so not influenced by where players may be taken in the draft as much as a value type of ranking. So I consider that in the context of discussions comparing Ebron and Evans, who should be ranked higher, so that seems to separate the top 2 WR from the rest by having Ebron cut in at that point.

54 Sankey
55 Mason these 2 RB are ranked back to back, so they are essentially the same value. This is the highest he ranks a RB and not in the top 50.

The WR ranked ahead of these 2 RB-

5 Watkins
12 Evans
20 Ebron
22 Cooks
24 Beckham
27 Lee
38 Moncrief
40 Robinson
44 Adams
48 Latimer

9 WR and Ebron

67 Hyde

74 Hill 12 spots seems like a tier drop from the previous 2 rb but maybe not. Maybe these 2 bigger rb are part of a top tier of 4 rb. It is a ton of spots to the next guys. So that seems like a top 4.

90 Carey

96 West

98 Andre Williams

Last edited by a moderator:
From Walter Football:

1-Carlos Hyde*, RB, Ohio State

Height: 5-11. Weight: 230.

40 Time: 4.66.

Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

4/5/14: The powerful Hyde is a one-cut downhill runner who can pick up yards after contact. He looks like he has the burst and the quickness to hit the hole before it closes in the NFL. Hyde has a lot of power and can run over, or through, defensive backs in the open field. He is a first-round talent who may slip to Day 2 because of the devaluing of the running back position. Some teams are grading Hyde as a first, while others are giving him a second-round grade.

Hyde was suspended for the first three games of the 2013 season. After returning to the lineup for the Buckeyes, he ran over the Big Ten. Hyde had huge games against Northwestern (26-168), Iowa (24-149) and Purdue (16-147). Against Illinois, he was completely dominant. Hyde totaled 247 yards on 24 carries with four touchdowns on the ground. As a receiver, he had two receptions for 26 yards and a score.

Hyde didn't look slow in his final collegiate season. He averaged 7.3 yards per carry for 1,521 yards with 15 touchdowns. Hyde also had 16 receptions for 147 yards and three scores through the air. He has nice receiving ability for a big back.

2-Jeremy Hill**, RB, LSU

Height: 6-0. Weight: 233.

40 Time: 4.66.

Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

4/5/14: WalterFootball.com knows some teams rate Hill as the top back in the 2014 NFL Draft. There were a lot of tough questions about his off-the-field issues and sources said that he interviewed extremely well at the Combine. Hill looks like he has the potential to be an impact starting back in the NFL and could have three-down potential. He has a unique skill set and could be nice value pick on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Hill can be a dominant runner. He was the best of a talented group of running backs for LSU over the past two seasons. Hill has the size of a power runner, but also has a burst to the hole and the second level of the defense. His quickness differentiated him from the Tigers' other big backs and led to him being the team's featured runner for 2013. When Hill gets into the open field, he can run away from defenders.

Hill averaged 6.9 yards per carry in 2013 for 1,401 yards with 16 touchdowns. He also caught 18 passes for 181 yards. As a freshman the year before, Hill ran for 755 yards with 12 touchdowns and 5.3 yards per carry.

3-Tre Mason*, RB, Auburn

Height: 5-8. Weight: 207.

40 Time: 4.50.

4/5/14: Mason performed well at the Combine with speed and agility. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that they have Mason as the third-rated back in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Auburn made it to the National Championship Game in large part because of Mason. He had monster performances against Alabama (29-164-1) and Missouri (46-304-4). Mason showed real speed to break off long runs. He also runs with excellent body lean and pad level to pick up yards after contact.

In 2013, Mason averaged 5.7 yards per carry for 1,816 yards with 23 touchdowns. He also had 12 receptions for 163 yards. Mason turned in a huge game against Texas A&M (27-178) to lead Auburn to a road upset. He also played well against LSU and Georgia. Mason has showed a nice mix of quickness, cutting ability and vision. He has nose for the end zone.

4-Bishop Sankey*, RB, Washington

Height: 5-9. Weight: 209.

40 Time: 4.49.

4/5/14: Sankey was one of the best backs in college football in 2013. He averaged 5.8 yards per carry on the year for 1,775 yards with 18 touchdowns. The junior also tracked down 25 receptions for 298 yards and another score. Sankey ran really well against Stanford and Oregon, though he did have a fumble against the Ducks. Sankey is a tough back who has excellent balance, vision, cutting ability and can pick up yards after contact.

At the Combine, Sankey ran faster than expected and looked good in the receiving drills. He had a strong performance to help his draft stock. Sources have said that they have Sankey as their fourth-rated back.

5-Lache Seastrunk*, RB, Baylor

Height: 5-9. Weight: 201.

40 Time: 4.51.

4/5/14: Seastrunk was slower than expected at the Combine by a large margin, but did really well in the receiving drills. He ran fluid routes and displayed nice hands. Teams have told WalterFootball.com that they expect Seastrunk to go on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Seastrunk started the 2013 season on fire before cooling down. He ran for 1,117 yards and 11 touchdowns on only 158 carries (7.4 average). The junior was injured against Oklahoma and missed the games against Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. The big question around Seastrunk will be his receiving skills as he didn't have a single reception in 2013.

Seastrunk had 156 yards and a touchdown on only 10 carries against Louisiana-Monroe. Even though he only played the first half against Buffalo, he totaled 150 yards on 17 carries with three touchdowns. Seastrunk ran for 172 yards on 15 carries with two touchdowns against West Virginia. He had some highlight-reel runs running over defensive backs and accelerating away from other defenders.

6-Ka'Deem Carey*, RB, Arizona

Height: 5-9. Weight: 207.

40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2014): 2-4.

4/5/14: Carey was suspended for the first game of the 2013 season, but was red hot after returning to the lineup. He averaged 5.4 yards per carry on the year for 1,885 yards and 19 touchdowns. Carey also caught 26 passes for 173 yards and a score.

The junior exceeded 100 yards rushing in every game in 2013 - excluding that week he was suspended - with a 232-yard total against Utah. Carey recorded 132 yards on 30 carries against Washington and scored four touchdowns against Colorado. His most impressive performance was 206 yards on 48 carries and four touchdowns versus Oregon.

Carey is a quick, slashing back who routinely rips off yards in big chunks. If he were a little bigger and didn't have off-the-field concerns, he would be a higher draft pick. Carey hurt his draft stock with a disappointing Combine performance.

Stiff. Upright. Limited suddenness. Questionable separation skills. Not elusive in the open field.

With so many people being so high on him, I can't rule out the possibility of him being successful. I have the 1.02 pick in a couple leagues and if the draft was tomorrow I would take him based on that, but I would do so with the intention of holding him hostage until I got a fair offer from a believer.

It's not that I hate him. It's just that I don't particularly like him either. And if I'm using a top 3-4 pick on somebody, I'd like to feel like it's a can't-miss.
This is exactly how I feel and I too hold the 1.02 in a 16 team dynasty league. If I can't trade down, I think I'm taking my personal #2. I avoid drafting players I don't like. I wouldn't feel good about holding and hoping for a good offer. There are several WRs I like in this draft and I'd hate to pass them up hoping for an Evans trade in the future.

I won't disagree with much of that but it's a lot like Brandon Marshall, who he models his game after. He's also only 20 years old so he's got room to grow.

Evans could bust. It would pretty nieve to state otherwise but size+speed+hands combos like that don't come around very often. If he went to a team like KC and had a ultra conservative QB like Alex Smith throwing to him then I'd probably try to move the pick. If he goes somewhere like Pittsburgh I'd be super excited about his future.

I won't disagree with much of that but it's a lot like Brandon Marshall, who he models his game after. He's also only 20 years old so he's got room to grow.
Allen Robinson is younger (3 days) and looks better on tape, imo. I'm really getting antsy for the NFL draft to see where they go and in what rounds.

That's the comparison he makes, but I don't see it.

I would never describe Marshall as stiff. Watch his highlight reel and pay close attention to how he acts when tacklers are approaching:

http://youtu.be/I2upGu_v7W0?t=28s

You can see that he has some elusiveness to him. He can make those little lateral cuts to find space and evade tacklers.

Almost every time he catches the ball, he's looking to make someone miss afterwards.

You're not going to see much of that on an Evans highlight reel. Just straight line runs and jump ball catches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr3I_CbwoXY

He's much more of a long strider. A lot more limited in terms of his short area movement skills.

Two guys can be the same height/weight/40, but that doesn't make them the same player.

I'd say Vincent Jackson is a better comparison for Evans, but then VJax was a record setting punt returner in college. I think he's a bit looser than Evans.

I would never describe Marshall as stiff. Watch his highlight reel and pay close attention to how he acts when tacklers are approaching:

You can see that he has some elusiveness to him. He can make those little lateral cuts to find space and evade tacklers.

Almost every time he catches the ball, he's looking to make someone miss afterwards.

You're not going to see much of that on an Evans highlight reel. Just straight line runs and jump ball catches:

He's much more of a long strider. A lot more limited in terms of his short area movement skills.

Two guys can be the same height/weight/40, but that doesn't make them the same player.

I'd say Vincent Jackson is a better comparison for Evans, but then VJax was a record setting punt returner in college. I think he's a bit looser than Evans.
Evans doesn't have Marshall's open field ability but it's not as if he's devoid of it. Here are two examples:

Play 1

Play 2

Also, when Marshall was Evans' age last year (20) he was nowhere near what Evans is. Marshall didn't break out in the NFL until he was 23, which Evans will be in his 3rd year.

At some point Evans is going to be a PPR/red zone beast.

Everyone has him as a top 15 pick, so either they're all wrong or he's actually pretty good. The latter seems more likely. I'm not the only one who has some issues with his suddenness/quickness though. It's something that several scouting reports have echoed. Whether or not it will be a huge deal in the NFL, I don't really know. He can move a little bit, as those clips show. On the other hand, I would say his mobility is below average compared to the field of elite NFL WRs. Maybe his height/length will make up for it. Maybe they won't. He is not my favorite guy, but on the other hand you don't get picked in the first round without some kind of merit.

those who believe in Evans think his size/speed ratio, jump ball ability and seemingly 'natural' hands will allow to overcome those weakness which EBF has fairly outlined. He is in no way a perfect prospect, but a FF player can only draft what's on he board versus the notion of what 'should" be on the board. personally, I have stopped worrying about if a class has this number of near perfect "elite" talents, and just try to add the guy I think at the moment will add the most value (more play or trade) to my roster.

Nobody can deny Evans has jump ball ability, which makes him worth something anyway - especially because he could develop into an all around receiver. But many seem take it as a given he will become a competent possession receiver - as if that's easy to do. It requires talent, not just technique, to get open against NFL corners. While I'm not a professional scout, I don't see anything from Evans which makes me believe he has the innate ability to create separation consistently.

Evans is a taller version of Michael Floyd. He's actually good running the deeper routes unlike Marshall. Michael Floyd was used on intermediate and deep routes. Floyd's aDOT (average Depth of Target) was 15.2 last year. That's only .2 less than Calvin Johnson (15.4).

Jonathan Bales

Exploring Running Back SizeWednesday, April 02, 2014

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46738/311/exploring-running-back-size?pg=1

Jonathan Bales is the author of the Fantasy Football for Smart People book series. He recently launched RotoAcademy - a fantasy football training school.

I was having a conversation with my dad the other day and I asked him to name the top four wide receivers in football with whom he’d want to start a team. He said Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, Dez Bryant and A.J. Green. I agree with three, subbing in Demaryius Thomas for Green (although it’s close).

Then I asked him to name the top four running backs with whom he’d start a team. LeSean McCoy was an immediate choice. He contemplated Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson, but in running back years, they’re basically dead. Matt Forte was on his list, as was Marshawn Lynch - Marshawn Lynch! - and Le’Veon Bell.

If that list sounds ridiculous to you, it’s because 1) it kind of is and 2) it’s really, really hard to figure out which running backs are the best ones. We can immediately identify the top wide receivers in the NFL, but that task is exponentially more difficult for running backs. If we’re incorporating age into our assessment - which we should since it matters in both real life and fantasy - who the hell are our starting four? I’d likely still throw Charles and perhaps AP in there with McCoy, but I seriously have no idea who is the fourth-best back in the NFL.

In short, we know that Julio Jones and Dez Bryant and those studs are better than second-tier receivers like Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker, who are in turn better than guys like Brandon LaFell. But outside of a couple obvious talents at running back, can we really know that the consensus No. 25 running back is any worse than the No. 5 player at the position? How good is a player like C.J. Spiller? I legitimately considered putting him in my top four, but I have a feeling that most people might not have him in their top 15 or 20.

When it comes down to it, running backs are just so dependent on their teammates for success that it’s really difficult to isolate their play and figure out how good they are. They’re difficult to project out of college and their NFL stats are only loosely tied to their actual talent.

That’s one reason I’ve been going against the grain in advocating a late-round running back strategy as of late, but it’s not like we can just draft only rookies at the position (maybe). Running back is still very important in the fantasy realm, so what can we make of the position?

Running backs are always going to be dependent on heavy usage for substantial production, but we still need to figure out some way to predict which ones are going to be useful when they get opportunities.

Running Back Size

Heading into this analysis, my hypothesis was that shorter, heavier running backs would have more success than taller, lighter ones. I was really interested in the height data because I’ve had a suspicion that shorter backs are generally better; they’re usually more agile, quicker and have a low center-of-gravity which is crucial at the position.

Related to both height and weight is body-mass index (BMI). Using BMI to judge overall health is absolutely asinine - pretty much every NFL player falls into the ‘obese’ category - but it’s still a good measure of how much bulk a running back possesses; a 5’10” back who weighs 210 pounds is bulkier and has a higher BMI than a 5’10” back who weighs only 190 pounds. The taller a player, the more difficult it is for him to have a high BMI. So I’m really looking to test three things - height, weight and body mass - and how they affect NFL performance.

The first thing I did was test the correlation between those three traits and a trio of stats - carries, yards-per-carry and touchdowns - for all backs since 2000 with at least 300 yards rushing. Here are those r-values. (see link for graphs)

The initial numbers suggest that height doesn’t affect NFL performance all that much for running backs (more on that later). Taller backs get a few more carries than shorter ones, they have a few more touchdowns, but they’re generally a bit less efficient in terms of YPC.

Meanwhile, take a look at weight and BMI. Neither affects workload very much - meaning we’ve already determined we can’t use running back size to predict rushing attempts - and they’re both weakly correlated to touchdowns. We’d expect bigger, heavier backs to score more touchdowns just because they see more goal line attempts, though.

But take a look at the effect of weight/BMI on rushing efficiency. They’re pretty strongly negatively correlated, meaning as weight increases, rushing efficiency decreases. This was at first a surprise to me because we wouldn’t expect heavier backs to be worse.

I overlooked an important fact, though; generally, heavier backs are slower than light ones, and speed is incredibly important to running backs. I’ve shown that the 40-yard dash matters more for backs than for any other position. Here’s a refresher that breaks down running back approximate value according to combine 40 times.

I value speed in running backs even more than other stat geeks; if a running back doesn’t run sub-4.55 (regardless of his weight), there’s very little chance I’ll draft him. If he’s very light, his little frame better be accompanied by blazing speed.

The fact that heavy running backs are much worse than lighter ones isn’t surprising when you consider the differences in speed. So does extra weight hurt a running back? No, with two caveats: 1) he isn’t just eating Wendy’s and the “extra” weight is lean muscle and 2) his speed remains unchanged. I’ll take a 220-pound back with 4.45 speed over a 200-pound back with the same speed all day. Weight is good, it’s just not as important as straight-line speed.

Now, let’s get back to height…

Height and Running Back Success

The correlations suggested that, as a general rule-of-thumb, taller might not be worse for backs, but there’s another way to analyze the data - sorting it into buckets. I like to do this because it helps see how performance changes at certain thresholds. And when we do that with height, we see a different story for running backs.

I sorted all of the data into quantiles for height, weight and BMI.

We see a steady decline in YPC with weight; the lightest quarter of all backs has been the most efficient, followed by the 26th-50th percentile, and so on. The BMI effect is similar, with a very rapid decline after the bottom quarter.

Very quickly, I want to mention that there’s probably a little bit of a selection bias here with lighter backs getting a higher quality of carries. When a running back gets a carry on third-and-10, he usually gains a decent number of yards, and he’s also usually a fairly light third-down back. However, such carries are pretty uncommon and the results are very strong, suggesting that the real culprit is simply heavy backs being slower.

I’m going to bold this sentence and say it again: the best running backs are fast.

Now, look at height. Remember that the correlations showed that height might not matter too much for running backs, but what we really see is that the bottom 75 percent of running backs in terms of height perform right around the same in terms of efficiency. Meanwhile, the top 25 percent - the tallest quarter of running backs - have rushed for fewer than 4.0 YPC since 2000. That’s horrific.

To me, this is clear evidence that height doesn’t matter all that much for running backs … to a point. And that point is right around 73 inches, or 6’1”.

Now let me just address the criticism sure to come to everyone’s minds: BUT ADRIAN PETERSON IS 6’1”! Yes, that’s true. As is the fact that Arian Foster ran a 4.68 in the 40-yard dash, Jerry Rice was also quite slow, Warren Sapp dominated inside despite shorter-than-average arms and lots of other cases of players becoming exceptions to the rule.

My goal isn’t to get every prediction correct, but just to tilt the odds a little bit. And the numbers suggest that, as a general rule-of-thumb, we should prefer shorter backs over those who stand well above 6’0”. That doesn’t mean we need to avoid every tall running back. In the case of Adrian Peterson, it’s kind of difficult to hate a 217-pound back with 4.40 speed. But if another back were similar to Peterson - 217 pounds with 4.40 speed and a comparable skill set - but he checked in at 5’10”, we’d be smart to favor the shorter back.

All other things equal, we should seek running backs 6’0” or shorter.

I feel the same way. I moved 1.02/2.05/3.01 for 1.05/1.07/4.11

I don't like the move. Although this class is deep with WRs, who becomes the real star is everyone's guess. I'd rather have the No 2 pick and take the stud. Unless you have confidence to nail both 1.05 and 1.07 picks. History is certainly not on your side if you look at those past rookie drafts.

NEPD Editor: James Christensen
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-nfl-draft-top-prospects
Here are my Top 100 Prospects for the 2014 NFL Draft.

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina*
2. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
3. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
4. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
5. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson*
6. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville*
7. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M*
8. Ra’Shede Hageman, DE, Minnesota
9. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
10. CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama
11. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M*
12. Marqise Lee, WR, USC*
13. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
14. Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
15. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
16. Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
17. Aaron Donald, DL, Pittsburgh
18. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
19. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
20. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
21. Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame
22. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
23. Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama*
24. Dominique Easley, DL, Florida
25. Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, UCLA

26. Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
27. Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming
28. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
29. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
30. Calvin Pryor S Louisville
31. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
32. Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
33. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
34. Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame*
35. Odell Beckham Jr, WR, LSU
36. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
37. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
38. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
39. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
40. Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
41. Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
42. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
43. DaQuan Jones, DL, Penn State
44. Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
45. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
46. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
47. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
48. Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
49. Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville
50. Tim Jernigan, DL, Florida State

51. Caraun Reid, DL, Princeton
52. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama*
53. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State
54. Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
55. Morgan Moses, OL, Virginia
56. Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
57. Will Sutton, DL, Arizona State
58. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
59. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
60. Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina
61. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
62. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
63. Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
64. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
65. Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
66. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
67. Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA
68. Ego Ferguson, DL, LSU
69. Trevor Reilly, DE, Utah
70. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
71. David Yankey, OL, Stanford
72. Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
73. Anthony Johnson, DL, LSU
74. Kelcy Quarles, DL, South Carolina
75. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor

76. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
77. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennesee
78. Yawin Smallwood, LB, UConn
79. Marcus Martin, OL, USC
80. Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas
81. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
82. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
83. Deone Buchanon, S, Washington State
84. Christian Jones, LB, Florida State
85. Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
86. Dion Bailey, S, USC
87. Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor
88. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
89. Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
90. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama
91. Deandre Coleman, DL, California
92. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
93. Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa
94. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
95. Keith McGill, CB, Utah
96. Anthony Steen, OL, Alabama
97. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
98. Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State
99. James Hurst, OL, North Carolina
100. David Fales, QB, San Jose State

Skill players-

6. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville*
7. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M*

11. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
14. Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
15. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

27. Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming

42. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
45. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State - Interesting ASJ and Coleman ranked ahead of him.
47. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU

64. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

75. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
76. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama

97. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
100. David Fales, QB, San Jose State
4 TE ranked ahead of any RB (and I dropped Niklas from the list).

64 Hyde

75 Seastrunk

97 Sankey

WR/TE

11. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

45. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State - Interesting ASJ and Coleman ranked ahead of him.

:goodposting:

A poor man's Vincent Jackson is a pretty good comp. Evans is too risky for me at 1.02 as well, this a great year to move up for Watkins or trade down if you have the 1.02 IMO.

Bishop Sankey: ‘I Think I’m The Best Back Coming Out This Year’

These days, most NFL Draft coverage focuses on quarterbacks and, in the words of Brandon Tierney, “a few big fatties upfront.”

Oh, and Jadeveon Clowney.

But what about the running backs? More specifically, what about Bishop Sankey? The Washington product is one of the top-rated tailbacks in the country.

Where he’ll land, though, is anyone’s guess.

“I’m hearing anywhere from second to third round,” Sankey said on The Morning Show. “For me, all I’m really worried about every time I get on the field is (eliminating) all the questions that the NFL coaches and scouts have about me.”

As Tiki Barber can attest, the life of an NFL running back has changed considerably in a short amount of time. It used to be – as recently as seven or eight years ago – that a running back would be disappointed if he only got 20 or 25 carries in a game. Now? He’s lucky to get 15.

So, how does Sankey – at 5-10, 203 pounds – see himself fitting in at the next level?

“I want to come in and make an impact any way I can,” he said. “Ideally, I wouldn’t mind getting the ball 20 times a game; I think I’ll be able to carry that load if need be. But really, I just want to go in and make an impact from Day One and do whatever I can to get on the field and help (out) whatever team I end up going to.”

Sankey had a monster career at Washington. After getting just 28 carries as a freshman in 2011, he ran 289 times for 1,439 yards and 16 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2012. He followed that up with personal bests across the board in 2013, rushing 327 times for 1,870 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also had 28 receptions for 304 yards and a touchdown.

That’s an average of 10.9 yards per catch and 6.1 yards per touch.

“I think one of my biggest strengths out there is my field vision – just being able to see what happens in front of me,” Sankey said. “I think it gives me an advantage recognizing where to cut.”

If the NFL Combine was any indication, Sankey has more than just field vision; he has the physical tools needed to succeed in the pros. He finished second among running backs in the bench press, repping 225 pounds an impressive 26 times. He also ran a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash – which was faster than the likes of Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas (4.50), Baylor’s Lache Seastrunk (4.51) and Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey (4.70).

“I think I’ve proven to be an all-around running back,” Sankey said. “I think I’ve proven that I can move the ball on the ground – not only that, but catch it out of the backfield and also (be) an asset in pass-protection as well. I think I definitely have a lot to bring to the table, and I definitely could help a team out wherever I end up going.”

Asked where he needs to improve, Sankey said recognizing cornerback coverages.

“In college, a lot of times the running back was focused more on what the linebackers were doing and what the fronts were looking like – and not much on what the back end of the defense is doing,” Sankey said. “So I think I definitely can grow in being able to recognize coverages quicker.”

Sankey, who likened his game to LeSean McCoy and Giovani Bernard, feels he’s the best running back prospect in the draft.

“I think I’m the best back coming out this year,” Sankey said. “I think I’ve shown consistency each year. I’m able to get the job done.”

I don't like the move. Although this class is deep with WRs, who becomes the real star is everyone's guess. I'd rather have the No 2 pick and take the stud. Unless you have confidence to nail both 1.05 and 1.07 picks. History is certainly not on your side if you look at those past rookie drafts.
Problem is I don't love any of them enough to take them at #2. I like a few a lot that think will fall in the 5-9 range depending on situation. If there was a sure "stud" to take at #2 I would have stayed. Just not a believer in Evans right now

Death of NFL Draft’s 1st Round Running Backs

It used to be that NFL general managers didn’t hesitate to spend their first round draft picks on highly-touted running backs, like 1995’s No. 1 overall pick, Ki-Jana Carter. Now, we’re likely headed for a second straight draft with zero RBs selected among the first 32 picks.

How have we come to this? A lot of reasons have been listed: Pass-happy NFL offenses, short careers for RBs, the popularity of running back platoons and the mountain of injuries that come with the position.

But there’s another simple explanation that is often overlooked: Running backs picked in the first round over the last decade have fared just marginally better in the NFL than those taken in later rounds.

Look no further than the results of the 26 running backs taken in the first round since 2004. Sixteen of the 26 players selected never reached a single Pro Bowl, many of whom were complete busts. Just four first-rounders have been to Hawaii on more than one occasion.

Meanwhile, four players from the last decade’s second round have also been to multiple Pro Bowls, as well as two from the third round, one from the fifth round and another two that went completely undrafted.

Whatever the reason for this may be (i.e. running back is one of the toughest positions to scout, it’s more about the system and offensive line than the back), NFL general managers are finding less and less need to spend first round draft picks on a running back when they can get someone equally capable later on. Former Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan made a career out of this with guys like Terrell Davis and Alfred Morris, both sixth round picks.

With the entire league now taking on this philosophy, it’s pushed first round talents into the second round and so on and so forth, making it even more likely to get a steal at running back in the draft.

There’s a chance that any of the top-rated RBs in this year’s draft class - Ohio State’s Carlos Hyde, Auburn’s Tre Mason, Washington’s Bishop Sankey - could one day find themselves playing in Honolulu for years. But don’t bet on any of their names being called in the 2014 NFL Draft’s first round on May 8th.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/extinction-nfl-draft-first-round-running-backs

The Devaluation of the NFL Running Back

It was not that long ago that the NFL Running Back was considered one of the premier pay positions in the league. The runners were the star of the team and were considered to go hand in hand with the QB position. For a pretty long period of time the great teams in the NFL were a partnership of quarterback and running back and the running back was a premier pay and draft position. But a number of factors ranging from rules changes to injuries to advances in analytics used in roster management the running back has become one of the lesser valued spots in the NFL. As free agency now draws to a close I think we can say that the position may have hit rock bottom.

The amount of money being spent this year on running backs is next to nothing. Going into free agency there was talk of the Texans’ Ben Tate earning up to $7 million a season and the Broncos’ Knowshon Moreno getting in the $5 million a year range. The two ended up signing short term contracts worth about $3 million a season and a total of $3.75 million in full guarantees between the two of them. In fact things have become so bad for the position that since last season we can now compare the running back market with that of the kicker.

To compare the two I wanted to look at the top 10 contracts by annual value signed for both positions, according to my records, since the start of 2013 training camp (I don’t have terms for Maurice Jones Drew to include). The top running back contract I believe was signed by Marcel Reece, who is actually a fullback, who earned $3.67 million a year. The highest full guarantee belonged to Darren Sproles who received $5.5 million from the Eagles in his recent two year extension. The bottom of the list is Bruce Miller, also a fullback, who earned a $1.8 million a year contract extension from the 49ers. The full list of runners that I am using are Reece, Donald Brown, Toby Gerhart, Sproles, Tate, Joique Bell, Moreno, Rashad Jennings, Pierre Thomas, Bruce Miller, and McFadden.

The high end contract for kickers was Sebastian Janikowski’s $3.775 million a year extension that was given by the Raiders last August. It also had the highest guarantee of anyone with an $8 million guarantee. The low end deal would be Josh Brown’s new deal with the Giants which averages $1.25 million a season and just has $100,000 in guarantees. My top 10 kicker deals are Janikowski, Robbie Gould, Dan Bailey, Graham Gano, Phil Dawson, Nick Folk, Steven Hauschka, Adam Vinatieri, Dan Carpenter, and Brown.

In basically every financial metric the running back is now running alongside the kicker. The lone category where the running back is doing considerably better is the percentage of guarantee. Their full guarantee represents about 44% of the total contract value compared to 30% for kickers. That is due to the short contract terms of the runners, who average 2.8 years, compared to the kickers, who average 3.6.

The question runners will need to ask themselves is if free agency the last two years is indicative of where the position is now headed and how fast the market will get down to this spot. The top of the running back market is still much higher than that of kickers as the new deals signed by kickers represent some of the highest deals for the position, while no new running back contracts are near the top of the position.

The problem for star runners who could be hitting free agency soon, such as CJ Spiller and Ryan Mathews, is the lack of players that will remain active who earn a reasonable salary for them to use as a point of comparison. There are currently 10 players on veteran contracts who earn more than $5 million a season. How many will last by the start of 2015’s free agency period is certainly open for debate.

Chris Johnson’s $13.4 million contract represents one of the last terrible decision “old era” type contracts. Johnson has been a disappointment since signing his contract extension, never showing the same abilities as he did in the first two years of his career when he earned the nickname CJ2K. The Titans will likely release him this season if he will not agree to a massive reduction in salary. He still has tremendous “name value” but how far that takes him will probably signal if the market in the future will have any legs for growth.

The Eagles LeSean McCoy averages $9 million a year, but with a $10.25 million cash number in 2015 and the new presence of Sproles it likely signals that that, long term, McCoy’s usefulness is in doubt. Arian Foster’s $8.7 million a year contract may already be in jeopardy as his body is breaking down after five seasons in the NFL. The Seahawks have likely already drafted the replacement for workhorse back Marshawn Lynch, who has two years remaining on his contract. He’ll survive 2014 but 2015 could be a different story as he is set to earn $2 million more than he does this season.

Jonathan Stewart, the other really “bad decision” running back along with Johnson, is only on the Panthers because of the salary cap consequences of cutting him. Ray Rice was in danger of being a June 1 cut for being ineffective and now his off the field issues make it almost a certainty that his contract will not exist come March of 2015. Finally Frank Gore, in the last year of his contract, may not make it to the fall under his current terms. San Francisco could use cap room, has younger players on the roster, and is smart enough to not allow an aging player at a lower cost position take up this much room.

Odds are the veteran running back market in 2015 will be Adrian Peterson ($14.38 million per year), Matt Forte ($7.5 million per year), Stewart ($7.3 million a year) and Jamaal Charles ($5.4 million per year). The next highest should be Reggie Bush, assuming he does not lose his job to Bell, at $4 million per season. Nobody will compare to Peterson, who is a once in a generation talent, while Stewart is just going to be looked at as an outlier by a bad General Manager.

Moving forward we are going to be looking at a position that at best may end up no higher than $5 million and year and could be capped closer to $4 million. When you think of all the great running backs who have played in the NFL and the one time importance that had to the team it’s pretty shocking to see the devaluation to a throw away position in the NFL. But we are almost there and it sure seems to be just a matter of months before the market for Kickers, Punters, and Running Backs will be within just a few dollars of each other.

http://overthecap.com/de-valuation-nfl-running-back/

But there’s another simple explanation that is often overlooked: Running backs picked in the first round over the last decade have fared just marginally better in the NFL than those taken in later rounds.

Look no further than the results of the 26 running backs taken in the first round since 2004. Sixteen of the 26 players selected never reached a single Pro Bowl, many of whom were complete busts. Just four first-rounders have been to Hawaii on more than one occasion.
1st round - 10/27 made a Pro Bowl (total of 22 Pro Bowls)

2nd round - 5/28 made a Pro Bowl (total of 11 Pro Bowls)

We'll see what things look like after the draft, but for now I'd say Watkins is worthy of the 1.01 rookie pick and Evans/Beckham/Lee/Cooks are likely to be "do not draft" candidates for me depending on their rookie draft ADP. It's not that I hate them. Only that I don't know if they're going to justify the picks needed to acquire them. I'm not really an Evans fan and Beckham/Cooks/Lee don't quite fit the mold of dominant FF producers given their lack of size and (apart from Cooks) sheer burner speed. They figure to be system-dependent WR2 types. Something alone the lines of Kendall Wright (in a weak situation) or Randall Cobb (in an ideal situation). Without the team context, it's hard to get excited about that with your 1.02-1.03 rookie pick.
EBF, I agree that #1WRs usually have a certain HWS profile that translates to the NFL. However, I think back a couple years when (pre-draft) everyone believed Justin Blackmon to be the next potential stud given his physical tools and production at the college level. At the end of the day, he is only 2" taller and 9 lbs. heavier than Beckham with their combine measurables. In neither every facet of athleticism beyond height and weight, Beckham is superior to Blackmon. Beckham even has longer arms and bigger hands than Blackmon. Is Beckham's potential closer to Blackmon coming out in the NFL than it is Kendall Wright?

When comparing heights, why do people dismiss 2 inches like its no big deal??

Users who are viewing this thread