What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

I just looked at the average footballguys dynasty rankings have 9 RBs from the 2014 draft class in the top 40...

Wasn't there a guy here in this chatroom who was really talking up this Rookie RB class? Looks like he had it pegged:

8) Hyde

14) Sankey

24) Hill

25) Mason

25) West

28) McKinnon

33) Williams

35) Crowell

39) Freeman

Charles Sims hasn't even hit the field yet...

Many here called this 2014 class pedestrian - I don't think so!!!

OrangeJulius said:
I just looked at the average footballguys dynasty rankings have 9 RBs from the 2014 draft class in the top 40...

Wasn't there a guy here in this chatroom who was really talking up this Rookie RB class? Looks like he had it pegged:

8) Hyde

14) Sankey

24) Hill

25) Mason

25) West

28) McKinnon

33) Williams

35) Crowell

39) Freeman

Are those rankings a reflection of the strength of the 2014 RB class, or a reflection of the current overall weakness at the RB position?

OrangeJulius said:

8) Hyde

14) Sankey

24) Hill

25) Mason

25) West

28) McKinnon

33) Williams

35) Crowell

39) Freeman

Are those rankings a reflection of the strength of the 2014 RB class, or a reflection of the current overall weakness at the RB position?
Does it matter? Value is value...

I would argue the RB position in the NFL today has more effective depth that I've ever seen... With the depth of talent and the current use of RBBC.

OrangeJulius said:

8) Hyde

14) Sankey

24) Hill

25) Mason

25) West

28) McKinnon

33) Williams

35) Crowell

39) Freeman

Rookies always have value in dynasty, that doesn't tell you much.

Jerek McKinnon has scored the most fantasy points of any of the RBs you've listed and he's only RB36. If anything those who pegged the RB class as #### are right so far, not that 7 weeks is long enough to tell you much.

Undrafted Branden Oliver is far and away the best rookie RB at this point at RB18.

Last edited by a moderator:
OrangeJulius said:

8) Hyde

14) Sankey

24) Hill

25) Mason

25) West

28) McKinnon

33) Williams

35) Crowell

39) Freeman

Rookies always have value in dynasty, that doesn't tell you much.

Jerek McKinnon has scored the most fantasy points of any of the RBs you've listed and he's only RB36. If anything those who pegged the RB class as #### are right so far, not that 7 weeks is long enough to tell you much.

Undrafted Branden Oliver is far and away the best rookie RB at this point at RB18.
Value is value and important in dynasty.

Rookie RBs only have value if owners like what they've seen. All of the guys listed above have flashed except maybe Freeman.

This 2014 RB class having 9 RBs in the top 40 dynasty rankings is a lot for a spoken down to red-headed stepchild class.

That talent in this class was FAR BETTER than given credit for...

Marqise Lee is nowhere near the best WR in this class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcCSU-sFRs
SHOCKED to hear this from a chronic contrarian like you.

Tell me, which future 6th round pick from North Dakota State is better?
I'm not a chronic contrarian. I actually watch the players. Can you tell me what Lee does better than Odell Beckham?
A lot of the same things that Kendall Wright does better than Jarius Wright.

Seriously, you've got what poker players call "fancy play syndrome." Always trying to make the hero call and knock down every hyped prospect. The FF hipster who's always touting some band you've never even heard of. It is totally predictable. Someone mentions a prospect and you come along and say, "Nah, he sucks, but unheralded player X is awesome."

I can take one or two of those calls seriously per draft cycle, but when it's a constant stream it becomes like the boy who cried wolf. Lee is not a perfect prospect, just like Kendall Wright wasn't a perfect prospect. That doesn't mean he isn't still a 1st round talent who will thrive on Sundays. I went back and watched his 2012 highlights recently and was reminded why I liked him in the first place. Tremendous athlete. Very agile and very dangerous in the open field. Sneaky vertical speed. Like Blackmon, he won't measure with a monster height/weight, but looks bigger and stronger on the field than his measurements.

Stylistically, there is a similarity with Beckham. Neither is going to be the WR of choice for the jump ball/catch radius crowd. Both are very economical and athletic. I think one of Lee's advantages is that he's just a slightly bigger and better version of the same thing. I do like Beckham though.
Nice call. Another dead wrong call.

Marqise Lee is nowhere near the best WR in this class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcCSU-sFRs
SHOCKED to hear this from a chronic contrarian like you.

Tell me, which future 6th round pick from North Dakota State is better?
I'm not a chronic contrarian. I actually watch the players. Can you tell me what Lee does better than Odell Beckham?
A lot of the same things that Kendall Wright does better than Jarius Wright.

Seriously, you've got what poker players call "fancy play syndrome." Always trying to make the hero call and knock down every hyped prospect. The FF hipster who's always touting some band you've never even heard of. It is totally predictable. Someone mentions a prospect and you come along and say, "Nah, he sucks, but unheralded player X is awesome."

I can take one or two of those calls seriously per draft cycle, but when it's a constant stream it becomes like the boy who cried wolf. Lee is not a perfect prospect, just like Kendall Wright wasn't a perfect prospect. That doesn't mean he isn't still a 1st round talent who will thrive on Sundays. I went back and watched his 2012 highlights recently and was reminded why I liked him in the first place. Tremendous athlete. Very agile and very dangerous in the open field. Sneaky vertical speed. Like Blackmon, he won't measure with a monster height/weight, but looks bigger and stronger on the field than his measurements.

Stylistically, there is a similarity with Beckham. Neither is going to be the WR of choice for the jump ball/catch radius crowd. Both are very economical and athletic. I think one of Lee's advantages is that he's just a slightly bigger and better version of the same thing. I do like Beckham though.
I think I'm the only one not delusional enough to accept that Lee isn't clearly the best WR prospect in this draft.

How does Lee look bigger and stronger when he rarely ever beats a DB for contested balls? Something that Beckham clearly does as well as anyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g

Beckham would be the WR of choice between these two on jump balls. Lee is taller, but skinnier. He is not better than Beckham, except for on kick returns. Beckham plays bigger and stronger and has a better BMI.
Hey EBF, remember this discussion?

It is funny, but not surprising to me that you're trying to play the "I told you so" card here. Yes, at one point I liked Lee more than Beckham. By no means did I hate Beckham though. I rated him as the #6 WR all-class WR prospect in all of college football in February of 2013. I had Lee #1 on that list. Beckham ended up getting drafted about where I expected Lee to get drafted and Lee ended up getting drafted about where I expected Beckham to get draft. I was off with those calls, but not by a huge margin. The two guys were chosen 25 picks apart. It's a miss, but not an egregious one.

Everyone around here is familiar with your routine. You make 100 bold predictions every year and then crow endlessly about the 3 that come off. Meanwhile you conveniently forget all of the terrible analysis that comes along with the occasional hits. Let's refresh your memory a bit.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676170&p=16546006

Here are my current rankings for RB and WR:

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White
As recently as February of this year you ranked Antonio Andrews and Stephen Houston as the #5 and #8 RBs in the draft. Neither guy made a 53 man NFL roster. If they were ripping it up right now, you'd be bumping old posts and telling us all that you knew how great they were all along.

On that same list you had Chris Boyd ranked as a top 10 WR in the draft. In January you said he has "more upside than Jordan Matthews," his former Vanderbilt teammate. Boyd went undrafted and was an early cut by the Cowboys in training camp. If by some miracle he had actually made the roster and contributed this season, I have no doubt that you'd be pulling up old posts showing us all how smart you were to recognize his awesome talent early. But since he's actually terrible, you've somehow managed to erase that memory from your "I know everything" routine.

People who frequent the rookie/dev threads know what you're all about. You throw out dozens of bold predictions and then expect to be treated like a psychic when 2-3 of them work out. If anyone dares disagree with you, you become extremely confrontational, with a huge chip on your shoulder. If anyone points out your numerous horrible misses, you stew over it for ages because you have such thin skin and such a fragile ego that every minor slight registers as a mortal insult. You occasionally have some really good analysis, but most of it is overshadowed by your uncouth interpersonal style and all your numerous bold calls that don't pan out. That's why in my view you're more of a regrettable sideshow act to be avoided than the esteemed authority that you seemingly aspire to be, and why I'm probably not alone in sharing that perspective.

It is funny, but not surprising to me that you're trying to play the "I told you so" card here. Yes, at one point I liked Lee more than Beckham. By no means did I hate Beckham though. I rated him as the #6 WR all-class WR prospect in all of college football in February of 2013. I had Lee #1 on that list. Beckham ended up getting drafted about where I expected Lee to get drafted and Lee ended up getting drafted about where I expected Beckham to get draft. I was off with those calls, but not by a huge margin. The two guys were chosen 25 picks apart. It's a miss, but not an egregious one.

Everyone around here is familiar with your routine. You make 100 bold predictions every year and then crow endlessly about the 3 that come off. Meanwhile you conveniently forget all of the terrible analysis that comes along with the occasional hits. Let's refresh your memory a bit.

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White
As recently as February of this year you ranked Antonio Andrews and Stephen Houston as the #5 and #8 RBs in the draft. Neither guy made a 53 man NFL roster. If they were ripping it up right now, you'd be bumping old posts and telling us all that you knew how great they were all along.

On that same list you had Chris Boyd ranked as a top 10 WR in the draft. In January you said he has "more upside than Jordan Matthews," his former Vanderbilt teammate. Boyd went undrafted and was an early cut by the Cowboys in training camp. If by some miracle he had actually made the roster and contributed this season, I have no doubt that you'd be pulling up old posts showing us all how smart you were to recognize his awesome talent early. But since he's actually terrible, you've somehow managed to erase that memory from your "I know everything" routine.

People who frequent the rookie/dev threads know what you're all about. You throw out dozens of bold predictions and then expect to be treated like a psychic when 2-3 of them work out. If anyone dares disagree with you, you become extremely confrontational, with a huge chip on your shoulder. If anyone points out your numerous horrible misses, you stew over it for ages because you have such thin skin and such a fragile ego that every minor slight registers as a mortal insult. You occasionally have some really good analysis, but most of it is overshadowed by your uncouth interpersonal style and all your numerous bold calls that don't pan out. That's why in my view you're more of a regrettable sideshow act to be avoided than the esteemed authority that you seemingly aspire to be, and why I'm probably not alone in sharing that perspective.
:own3d:

I'm one of the last guys to defend EBF, but he's 100% right here.

I used to be a lot more confrontational on here when it came to my opinion, but that never serves to help your argument. A little humility could go a long way, man.

Oh, and I drafted OBJ as a devy when no one had him anywhere near their Top 10 College WR lists. I'M A GENIUS!!! The truth is, for every Beckham I hit on, there are 3 Cyrus Gray types that I whiff on. I used to take that personally, but checking my ego is something I had to learn to do. You should do the same.

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White

Dude you were dead wrong on Odell Beckham plain and simple. Dead wrong on Marqise Lee. This isn't about ego. This is about what the heck were you looking at? You were either lying to yourself or simply blind. It doesn't get any clear as that. Which is it?

I'm extremely confrontational when someone is so dead wrong on a player. How about Maxx Williams?

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White

I used to be a lot more confrontational on here when it came to my opinion, but that never serves to help your argument. A little humility could go a long way, man.

Oh, and I drafted OBJ as a devy when no one had him anywhere near their Top 10 College WR lists. I'M A GENIUS!!! The truth is, for every Beckham I hit on, there are 3 Cyrus Gray types that I whiff on. I used to take that personally, but checking my ego is something I had to learn to do. You should do the same.
I check my ego plenty. You're obviously biased against me so I really don't care what you think.

Nice pick!

RB

• Isaiah Crowell
  • Bishop Sankey
  • Carlos Hyde
  • Tre Mason
  • Antonio Andrews
  • Lache Seastrunk
  • Jeremy Hill
  • Stephen Houston
  • KaDeem Carey
  • James White

I check my ego plenty. You're obviously biased against me so I really don't care what you think.

Nice pick!
I'm not biased, so I can most definitely say that you're coming across extremely poorly. And that's putting it VERY kindly.

???

Since you are fond of bumping posts, please post an instance where you checked your ego.

Calling posters "biased against me" and saying they are "lying or blind" is not helping your cause at all. You may say you do not care what others think, but you still seek attention by posting and bumping old posts to boast. So to visit your binary world, what is it, do you need our valuation/adulation or are do you just enjoy being argumentative and dismissive of other opinions? If it is neither, just post your opinion on a blog.

Dude you were dead wrong on Odell Beckham plain and simple. Dead wrong on Marqise Lee. This isn't about ego. This is about what the heck were you looking at? You were either lying to yourself or simply blind. It doesn't get any clear as that. Which is it?

I'm extremely confrontational when someone is so dead wrong on a player. How about Maxx Williams?
What if I was wrong on Odell Beckham? Would it matter? Anyone who posts his opinion on prospects will accumulate some skeletons in his closet over time. That's why I find it so strange that you of all people are such a frequent instigator of these "I told you so" attacks. You've been "dead wrong" more times than I can count. Why is the guy who called Antonio Andrews a top 5 back in the draft taking it upon himself to call out other posters for their misses? You're entitled to an opinion like everyone else, but you're not an authority. It's clear that you'd like to be one and that you don't handle criticism well at all, but resorting to these petty "See! I was right!" tactics against people who have disagreed with you in the past actually makes you look threatened and small more than it serves your goal of winning respect. You seem to think everyone is "biased" or has some kind of agenda against you, but what you don't seem to grasp is your role in creating those outcomes. Your posts are obnoxious and annoying. You have a terrible attitude. You can't seem to discuss players without it becoming personal. That's why people respond the way they do. When called out on this, you double down with stubbornness and more douchey behavior instead of taking a second to consider your own actions and how they come across.

What if I was wrong on Odell Beckham? Would it matter? Anyone who posts his opinion on prospects will accumulate some skeletons in his closet over time. That's why I find it so strange that you of all people are such a frequent instigator of these "I told you so" attacks. You've been "dead wrong" more times than I can count. Why is the guy who called Antonio Andrews a top 5 back in the draft taking it upon himself to call out other posters for their misses? You're entitled to an opinion like everyone else, but you're not an authority. It's clear that you'd like to be one and that you don't handle criticism well at all, but resorting to these petty "See! I was right!" tactics against people who have disagreed with you in the past actually makes you look threatened and small more than it serves your goal of winning respect. You seem to think everyone is "biased" or has some kind of agenda against you, but what you don't seem to grasp is your role in creating those outcomes. Your posts are obnoxious and annoying. You have a terrible attitude. You can't seem to discuss players without it becoming personal. That's why people respond the way they do. When called out on this, you double down with stubbornness and more douchey behavior instead of taking a second to consider your own actions and how they come across.
You're are the one who called me a contrarian when I made the statement that Marqise Lee is nowhere close to being the best WR in 2014. Who's being personal? You are the one who brings up my posting style and/or tactics when you have strong disagreement with a player I really like. How's Maxx Williams looking these days? He's looking the same as last year. But you choose to lie to yourself. Why? Either you didn't see enough of him last year or you saw him plenty. If you didn't see much of him last year then how could you feel so strongly against him?

I also once was high on Marqise Lee, but I threw off the blinders. When will you throw off yours?

EBF can't even stick to the discussion at hand: Odell Beckham vs Marqise Lee. He prefers to deflect and bring up my "misses" instead. You don't even have a strong opinion on Antonio Andrews and Chris Boyd. So not sure why bring them up. But you did have a strong opinion on Odell Beckham and Marqise Lee.

What's obnoxious is reading posts that are clearly wrong and been proven wrong with video. Did you even read the post of yours I quoted?

Here it is again:

???

Since you are fond of bumping posts, please post an instance where you checked your ego.

Calling posters "biased against me" and saying they are "lying or blind" is not helping your cause at all. You may say you do not care what others think, but you still seek attention by posting and bumping old posts to boast. So to visit your binary world, what is it, do you need our valuation/adulation or are do you just enjoy being argumentative and dismissive of other opinions? If it is neither, just post your opinion on a blog.
Are you guys even reading the post I quoted? Apparently not. You're so invested your own bias against me. Thanks for showing true colors.

I am dismissive of obvservations that are dead wrong.

Heads up :

Nobody gives a ####.

Nobody's keeping score.

Honestly I think you both can be abrasive and too focused on being "right", and I think you both have valuable opinions. When one of you posts in a prospect or draft thread, I read it.

Let everyone read your player analysis/rankings/etc. and decide for themselves. That's what a community like this is all about. There are no awards.

EBF, I enjoy your take. I always check out any rankings and links you post that aren't behind a pay wall.

Xue, I enjoy your take. I follow you on twitter, even.

Any flaws in presentation and communication I think you guys may have, I look past them and enjoy your opinions, often I get a different view on things from you both. Plenty of names not on my radar come from you guys.

Stick to talking prospects and not trying to antagonize each other, it's better that way.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Head's up :

Nobody gives a ####.

Nobody's keeping score.

Honestly I think you both can be abrasive and too focused on being "right", and I think you both have valuable opinions. When one of you posts in a prospect or draft thread, I read it.

Let everyone read your player analysis/rankings/etc. and decide for themselves. That's what a community like this is all about. There are no awards.

EBF, I enjoy your take. I always check out any rankings and links you post that aren't behind a pay wall.

Any flaws in presentation and communication I think you guys may have, I look past them and enjoy your opinions, often I get a different view on things from you both. Plenty of names not on my radar come from you guys.

Stick to talking prospects and not trying to antagonize each other, it's better that way.
This

EBF, there is a TE that is currently a Redshirt Freshman that will be next year's Maxx Williams. No one is talking about this particular player. Are you ready to call him a hipster pick as well?

If you guys think this is about ego, you aren't paying attention. EBF did a great job of deflecting and making this about politics again and not the debate on players. He has a history of strongly disagreeing with me simply because it's me and it ends up turning into something personal and not about the players. Is that not petty?

Odell Beckham showed very good leaping ability and catch radius in college. Why did EBF say that he didn't? Why did EBF say that Lee was "better" when all the evidence showed otherwise? It's not me disagreeing with him. It's the video. 2 simple answers, he is either blatantly lying or he chooses to be blind. [SIZE=14.6666669845581px]Does anyone else have a better answer? [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6666669845581px] [/SIZE]Who is the one with the agenda?

How can one have a healthy discussion when someone states boldface lies? Would you not take offense? Would you not feel like your intelligence is being undermined? Is that not "obnoxious"?

You're the one who bumped the thread dude. I was off the mark with Beckham and Lee. People miss on players all the time. Yourself included. Should I go find your old posts about Barry J. Sanders and demand an apology because you whiffed on that evaluation? What does it matter to me? Not at all. I could dig up all your old posts and find all the times you were totally off the mark, but that would take weeks and I like to think I have better things to do with my time than having pissing contests with crazies on the Internet.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Head's up :

Nobody gives a ####.

Nobody's keeping score.

This
Did I bump the thread? No, so don't blame me for this.

I'm used to taking heat for expressing my opinion on here. A certain amount of that is inevitable. I generally ignore it, but it's not always easy to resist the urge to defend yourself when people are dragging your name through the mud. If it happened to you more frequently, you would probably understand that.

But please don't act like I'm the problem when 90% of the time I'm not the instigator. I don't post that much anymore compared with the past and part of the reason for that is because I derive no joy from interacting with the various cave trolls and cretins who turn everything into a personal grudge match.

You're the one who bumped the thread dude. I was off the mark with Beckham and Lee. People miss on players all the time. Yourself included. Should I go find your old posts about Barry J. Sanders and demand an apology because you whiffed on that evaluation? What does it matter to me? Not at all. I could dig up all your old posts and find all the times you were totally off the mark, but that would take weeks and I like to think I have better things to do with my time than having pissing contests with crazies on the Internet.
If it doesn't matter at all to you then why bother? You could do all that, but did you even have a strong opinion on some of those players? No. Again, just more deflecting. You had a strong opinion on Beckham and Lee. Moreso for Lee than against Beckham. The statement of yours I quoted was not "wrong". It was more of a lie.

Xue, I appreciate the instinct to hold people accountable for their predictions. It'd be great to come up with a systematic way to evaluate rookie predictions.

But this back-and-forth hasn't been useful at all.

Xue and EBF - and anyone else not wanting to discuss players - please take it to the PM level. It's hurting this thread badly.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Head's up :

Nobody gives a ####.

Nobody's keeping score.

This
Did I bump the thread? No, so don't blame me for this.

I'm used to taking heat for expressing my opinion on here. A certain amount of that is inevitable. I generally ignore it, but it's not always easy to resist the urge to defend yourself when people are dragging your name through the mud. If it happened to you more frequently, you would probably understand that.

But please don't act like I'm the problem when 90% of the time I'm not the instigator. I don't post that much anymore compared with the past and part of the reason for that is because I derive no joy from interacting with the various cave trolls and cretins who turn everything into a personal grudge match.
I didn't say I blame you, I just want your rankings and analysis. I know you feel the need to defend yourself but you don't need too; Just do what you do best.

Users who are viewing this thread