What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

In a scouting report, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline writes that ECU QB Shane Carden "was a tremendous college quarterback, consistently producing, but possesses average size and below average arm strength for the next level."
"He could be an asset as a third quarterback in a timing offense," wrote Pauline. The analyst likes everything that we do: It's impossible to rattle Carden, he thinks quickly, has good vision, is functionally mobile and doesn't make many mistakes. All that sounds great, but the weaknesses might preclude Carden from everything starting an NFL game. Per Pauline: "Possesses an average arm. Passes lacks speed and he struggles getting the ball downfield. Lacks height and has throws batted away. Loses velocity throwing on the move. High off the mark when he tries to zip the ball into targets."

Source: JetsInsider.com
Apr 17 - 10:03 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that Florida State WR Rashad Greene is "able to gain separation because he's so sudden as a route runner, and he shows natural instincts versus zone coverage."
"Any time Jameis Winston needed someone to get open, Greene was able to find separation," McShay wrote. "His ball skills improved every season as well. He should be a solid No. 3 receiver in the NFL, working out of the slot. He has experience as a punt returner but doesn't project as one in the pros." If you watched Winston's appearance on Jon Gruden's QB Camp, you know that his confidence in Greene's hands and routes was unquestioned. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah compares Greene to Broncos' WR Emmanuel Sanders, while Lance Zierlein comps him to Marvin Jones.

Source: ESPN Insider
Apr 15 - 6:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Minnesota TE Maxx Williams has a "lot of upside" and "should be a good addition to anybody's roster depth right now and has potential to become a standout in a couple of years," notes NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
Williams hoisted up 17 reps on the bench at the combine, interesting in the context of how he responded to questions about what he must improve upon for the NFL: "I would say my biggest weakness is my strength. Being only 20 years old knowing that my body's not fully developed into what it could develop into is a strength. But I feel like my biggest weakness could turn into one of my strengths, as I turn 21, 22, and get those years and experience in the weight room developing my body." As Cooney notes, there is much work to be done for the consensus top TE prospect. "Williams appears to have all the skills to be an excellent NFL tight end, but his value at this moment is in perceived promise rather than actual production."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 15 - 5:59 PM

Rotoworld:

ECU WR Justin Hardy "projects as a good No. 3 wide receiver in the NFL," writes ESPN's Todd McShay.
"His speed (4.56 40) will scare some away, and he won't create separation based on his natural suddenness, but some guys just have a knack for separating, and Hardy is one of them," McShay wrote. "He catches everything, and has big hands for someone 5-10, 192 pounds. He isn't a big-play threat, but purely in terms of his ball skills and competitiveness he's one of the top wideouts in this class." Hardy is clearly ticketed for the slot in the NFL, but we'll note that he acquitted himself well when assigned outside assignments at the Senior Bowl. Hardy recorded 121 catches, 1,494 yards and 10 scores in 2014.

Apr 15 - 5:43 PM

Rotoworld:

South Carolina RB Mike Davis is a "dark horse" who not long ago "looked like a potential first-round draft pick," according to ESPN's K.C. Joyner.
Davis posted an 11.6-yard per carry average in good blocking yards per attempt -- a metric measuring what a runner does when the OL doesn't allow a defender to disrupt an attempt -- across the first six games of the 2013 season. "Anything in the double-digit range is considered rare air in the GBYPA statistic, and to post that caliber of performance while playing in the SEC is a notable achievement," Joyner wrote. "The durability and intangibles question marks do make Davis something of a risk, and his 2014 season was a disappointment -- but his upside could make him more than worth the gamble, especially if he slips to Day 3."

Apr 19 - 6:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Tyler Lockett - WR - Wildcats

Kansas State WR Tyler Lockett may have been "the best big-play wide receiver in college football last season," reports ESPN's K.C. Joyner.

Lockett led the country in 10-plus yard receptions against Power 5 teams and red zone receptions (19) and receiving yards (171) last year. "Add in his best in college football ranking in punt return average and it shows Lockett could give any young wideout a run for the money in terms of posting big plays," Joyner wrote. "He could be had on Day 2 after most of the big-name receiver prospects are off the board, and put up similar or better production."

Apr 19 - 9:15 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs, Panthers and Texans put Duke WR Jamison Crowder through private workouts, according to Aaron Wilson.
Crowder did not test well at the Combine and could wind up in the third day because of it. Why? Teams want a trait that allows a prospect to compensate for a deficiency. The shorter slow receiver also played on the outside at Duke. We still like his game, but teams might not agree.

Source: National Football Post
Apr 20 - 12:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Last Friday, Florida State TE Nick O'Leary worked out for reps from the Broncos, Patriots, Packers, Giants and Bills, according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
The 6-foot-3, 244-pound O'Leary, was named first-team AP All-American, first-team All-ACC and won the John Mackey Award for the nation's best tight end in 2014. While O'Leary was productive at the collegiate level, he'll have to prove that his skill-set translates to the next level. The FSU prospect lacks the ideal size and strength as an inline TE in the NFL, but could be used as a H-back, with quality hands and willingness as a run blocker.

Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
Apr 21 - 2:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Bills GM Doug Whaley named Bryce Petty, Sean Mannion and Garrett Grayson as the three QBs in the second tier of this draft class.
The exclusion of Brett Hundley's name will raise the eyebrow of many, and some might even say it means the Bills are targeting Hundley. We definitely won't go that far. Expect the Bills to select a quarterback at some point in this draft, perhaps even with their top selection which comes in the second round. Bryce Petty is the name we'd link to the Bills.

Source: Howard Simon on Twitter
Apr 21 - 10:06 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein notes that Minnesota RB David Cobb's draft stock is higher amongst NFL coaches.
"Minnesota RB David Cobb is more popular with NFL coaches than I expected," Zierlein tweeted. The 5-foot-11, 229-pounder ran for 1,626 yards and 13 touchdowns this past season and was very productive between the tackles for the Gophers. Our own Josh Norris had the Minnesota prospect going in the third Round, 93rd overall, to the Indianapolis Colts, in his latest 7 round mock. Norris believes Cobb "will be an awesome long term replacement for Frank Gore and offers somewhat similar traits in terms of beating first contact."

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Apr 21 - 3:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Jeff Heuerman - TE - Buckeyes

Ohio State TE Jeff Heuermann "could be a second-round pick" because of the weak TE class, wrote CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"Was a three-year starter for the Buckeyes, who caught 52 passes in his career," Prisco wrote. "But he's a good blocker, which makes him the rare double-threat tight end." Heuerman recorded a 4.80 forty at the school's pro day. He posted only 17 catches for 207 yards and two touchdowns last year but struggled through a foot injury and was a victim of Ohio State having too many mouths to feed on offense.

Apr 22 - 12:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Maryland WR Stefon Diggs "has the skills to be a productive NFL receiver" despite a lackluster collegiate career, notes CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"He is also a capable return man," Prisco wrote. "A team using a mid-round pick on him might end up with a steal. The talent is there." The analyst is far from the only person who thinks so, which is why it's basically impossible to peg where Diggs will go in the draft. Diggs was dubbed "Playmaker's 2015 sleeper favorite" by Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score. The 6-foot, 195-pound Diggs recorded forty times of 4.46 and 4.50 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Apr 22 - 8:00 PM

NFL Draft scouts are mad about Minnesota’s Maxx Williams

This is the fifth in a nine-part series previewing the NFL Draft on April 30-May 2. Today’s installment: Tight ends.

By Jay Skurski News Sports Reporter

Mel Kiper didn’t mince words when describing the depth of the tight end class in this’s year’s NFL Draft.

“Very poor,” ESPN’s longtime draft analyst said Tuesday on a conference call.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock offered a similar opinion, calling it a “weak class.”

That’s not good news for a team like the Buffalo Bills, which may potentially look to add a player at the position. New offensive coordinator Greg Roman is expected to use a scheme that utilizes multiple tight ends.

So even with the high-priced acquisition of Charles Clay as a free agent from the Miami Dolphins, the Bills may still have a need at the position.

“He said sometimes he might use four on game day, being active, so it would not affect us,” Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said of Roman, referring to whether the signing of Clay would alter how the Bills approach adding a tight end in the draft.

Behind Clay, the current depth chart reads Chris Gragg, MarQueis Gray and Chris Manhertz. Gragg and Gray have combined for 23 catches, 242 yards and two touchdowns. Manhertz, meanwhile, is a former Canisius College basketball player trying to transition to football.

“We have some young guys that are on this squad now and we’re excited to see how they progress,” Whaley said. “But if that tight end is the guy that’s sticking out there in the second or third round or whatever and we want to get him, no, it’s not going to” stop us. “It’s like a salesman, I say; when you’re a salesman, your boss never says, ‘Stop selling.’ Coaches never say, ‘Stop giving me good players.’ ”

The consensus best tight end available is Minnesota’s Maxx Williams. The redshirt sophomore is just 20 years old. Williams, though, decided to enter the draft after setting single-season school records for both receiving yards (569) and touchdowns (eight) by a tight end.

“I put a lot of thought into staying or leaving,” Williams said. “It was a long process for me. … It started about midseason. It kind of crossed my mind that maybe I had an opportunity to leave. I finished the year playing well and after our last game against Wisconsin I sat down with my parents and we actually made lists. … It came down at the end it was the right time for me and my family to declare.”

Williams comes from athletic bloodlines.

His father, Brian, was a former first-round draft pick of the New York Giants, and his grandfather played quarterback for Notre Dame. Williams’ mother captained the volleyball team at Minnesota, and his older sister played hockey for Bemidji State.

“We like to say in our family my mom’s the most athletic,” Williams said.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah has compared Williams to former Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap.

“Because of his penchant to make special catches,” Jeremiah said. “Maxx Williams, though, may be a little better blocker coming out. Heap maybe a little more top speed. But I love the way Williams is a hands catcher.”

The second tight end expected to be taken is Miami’s Clive Walford. He could be on the board when the Bills select at No. 50 in the second round.

“Clive Walford will be a solid second-round pick,” Kiper said. “You could make an argument he’s the first- or second-best tight end, no worse than the second.”

Walford doesn’t lack self-confidence. Asked at the NFL Scouting Combine what the team that drafts him is getting, Walford responded: “A dominant player.”

“A dual-threat tight end,” he said. “A competitor. A will to win. I play with my heart, so they’re going to get somebody who will lay it on the line every down.”

Walford says he tries to emulate New England Patriots All-Pro Rob Gronkowski, the Amherst native.

“His running with the ball after the catch, making crucial blocks,” Walford said. “Pretty much everything. He’s an all-around tight end.”

Both Walford and Williams are receivers first – which isn’t a surprise in this class of tight ends.

“There is not, that I can find, a true blocking tight end in this draft,” ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden said on a conference call this week. “There’s not a Jason Witten in this draft. Not on tape.”

After Walford and Williams, there is no consensus on the next tight end to be selected. The group competing for that honor includes Ohio State’s Jeff Heuerman, Southern Illinois’ MyCole Pruitt, Penn State’s Jesse James, Florida State’s Nick O’Leary and Rutgers’ Tyler Kroft.

O’Leary, who plays with no receiving gloves, is perhaps best known as the grandson of Hall of Fame golfer Jack Nicklaus. O’Leary won the John Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end in 2014, but faces serious questions about how his athleticism will translate to the next level.

“I feel like I can do it all,” O’Leary said. “People say my route running is not that good. I feel like it is. There are a lot of guys at Florida State who weren’t able to cover me, and guys we played against. We’ll see how it is.”

An intriguing late-round prospect at the position is Oklahoma’s Blake Bell. He started his career as a quarterback with the Sooners before changing positions prior to the 2014 season. He had 16 catches for 214 yards and four touchdowns in his only season at the position.

“I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m also only getting better,” Bell said. “I felt like I was getting a lot better toward the end of the season, and every single game I was picking up new things and better technique. Even going into the East-West Shrine Game I felt good going against some of the best guys in the country. So I’d say that I’m happy with where I’m at, but I obviously want to keep getting better.”

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Baylor WR Antwan Goodley "could drop because the Baylor system helps inflate WRs' numbers."
That said, Kiper lists Goodley as a Day 2 prospect. "He simply isn't as big as he plays, but Goodley is in [Day 2] range," Kiper wrote. The 5-foot-10, 220-pound prospect has 4.44 wheels and knows how to use his bulk to separate from defenders. During the season, an NFC South scout noted that Goodley's "body type screams Anquan Boldin."

Mar 1 - 5:39 PM
Surprised there is so little chatter about Goodley. I thought EBF would be all over this guy like he is Josh Boyce.

Rotoworld:

Kenzel Doe - WR - Badgers

Wisconsin WR/KR Kenzel Doe will be a UDFA because of his size, according to an NFL scout, but possesses a good attitude and a number of plus athletic traits.

"Kind of an interesting guy," the scout said. "Free agent because he's little, but he's about the one guy on the team that looked like he had some speed. Good hands. Aggressive north-south returner. Little burst. Also the gunner on the punt team. Goes downfield and makes tackles." The 5-foot-7 1/2, 175-pound Doe, who runs a 4.54 forty, averaged 9.8 yards per punt return and 23.9 yards per kickoff return in college, chipping in 42 catches for 379 yards (9.0) and one score. "Yeah, he's got a little something to him," another scout said. "He's small but he's got some quick speed and he's tough."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Apr 23 - 9:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Javorius Allen - RB - Trojans

USC RB Javorius "Buck" Allen is "capable of being a three-down back in the NFL, given his pass-catching ability," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.

"His specialty is as a downhill runner, but that doesn't mean he's limited to a power-rushing attack," McShay wrote. "I thought he showed a good sense for identifying cutback lanes and displayed good patience in setting up his blocks, so his best fit in the NFL might actually be in a zone-blocking scheme that allows him to take advantage of his good acceleration." McShay ranks Allen No. 93 overall, higher than some, though the NFL may be higher on him than most draft analysts. NFL Media's Bucky Brooks spoke to a veteran NFC scout who identified Allen as one of this year's "hidden gems" at RB. "He isn't particularly elusive in the open field, but he has good burst and a very effective stop-and-start move," McShay wrote.

Apr 23 - 8:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Shane Carden - QB - Pirates

ESPN's Todd McShay believes East Carolina QB Shane Carden has the "it" factor.

"He was the unquestioned leader on the field for ECU, displaying confidence without arrogance and getting in teammates' faces when the situation called for it," McShay wrote. "He takes a few too many unnecessary risks, but he's a big-time playmaker and shows a really great feel for the game." Carden reminds McShay of Connor Shaw, writing that his release and arm strength are both concerns, but his football intelligence and accuracy in the short to intermediate range could make up for it. "He'll never be a full-time starter in the league, but he's someone you want on your roster because of the way he competes and prepares," McShay wrote.

Apr 23 - 4:28 PM

Users who are viewing this thread