What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Builds - Diversify or Load Up on Favorites? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I have only 2 teams, but after today’s acquisition I now have these players in both leagues:
• Fields
• Bateman
• Higgins
• Mattison
• soon to be Bijan

I didn’t plan it that way - nor did I go out of my way to seek deals involving those players. They just happened to be the best targets for what I wanted to spend when I was seeking those positions.

On the pro side, when they go well, both my teams do well.

On the con side, the opposite is true - plus the injury factor.

How much do you try to diversify between your dynasty rosters?

Which players are you heavily invested in across your various teams?

I have only 2 teams, but after today’s acquisition I now have these players in both leagues:
• Fields
• Bateman
• Higgins
• Mattison
• soon to be Bijan

I didn’t plan it that way - nor did I go out of my way to seek deals involving those players. They just happened to be the best targets for what I wanted to spend when I was seeking those positions.

On the pro side, when they go well, both my teams do well.

On the con side, the opposite is true - plus the injury factor.

Which players are you heavily invested in across your various teams?
I try to diversify, but I've only ever been in one league. So it's been ... a challenge.

But seriously, if I were in multiple leagues ... I really don't know. I feel like I'd probably end up doing the same, acquiring several of the same guys in each league whether I tried or not. Maybe the best answer is, don't try to do either option (diversify or load up). Do what seems best in each league, independent of the other. If that means stacking up shares of the same guys, so be it! If it means going totally opposite directions, so be it!

I'm currently in 15 dynasty leagues but I'm not a believer in diversifying for the sake of diversification. This is not our retirement savings we're dealing with. If I like a player more than the consensus I tend to end up with a lot of shares. Sometimes it gets painful. I think I have 7 or 8 shares of D'Andre Swift right now and I'm regretting not selling some of them when I had the chance but overall I think you win more money long term by being better at identifying talent than your leaguemates and I can deal with the short term swings.

I'm currently in 15 dynasty leagues but I'm not a believer in diversifying for the sake of diversification. This is not our retirement savings we're dealing with. If I like a player more than the consensus I tend to end up with a lot of shares. Sometimes it gets painful. I think I have 7 or 8 shares of
D'Andre Swift
right now and I'm regretting not selling some of them when I had the chance but overall I think you win more money long term by being better at identifying talent than your leaguemates and I can deal with the short term swings.
Just to add. One place where I will make picks in order to diversify is rookie drafts. Last year I had
Wilson,Olave, Jameson Williams and Burks all basically even in my rankings and I remember in our Shark pool FFPC draft I took Jameson just because I didn't have any shares of him yet. That's fairly rare though. It has to be really a toss up for me.

I like certain players. I want to get those players. I expect to have many of the same players on every team I have because I generally go after players I like and think will do well.

I agree that diversification just for the sake of diversification seems like a hedge and I would tend to believe in the players I believe in.......so I try to get those players. There have been times where when I have two I guys I like equally so I may go with the other guy if I already have one of them on a roster.

I like certain players. I want to get those players. I expect to have many of the same players on every team I have because I generally go after players I like and think will do well.

I agree that diversification just for the sake of diversification seems like a hedge and I would tend to believe in the players I believe in.......so I try to get those players. There have been times where when I have two I guys I like equally so I may go with the other guy if I already have one of them on a roster.
Your approach and mind are largely the same.

And as @Marauder said, identifying and acquiring players you believe in is a huge part of having success. I won’t shy away from a player because I have him in another league. Either I believe in those players or I don’t.

When you miss, it stings. Glad I didn’t double up on Zach Wilson. 😬

Back when I first got into dynasty and just had a few teams I had two teams in the FFPC final 4. The FFPC final 4 format is total points among the final 4 teams the last two weeks of the season(great format).

I only had 3 dynasty teams at the time and was really looking forward to a nice 2 week end of season playoff. One of my teams had Gronk and Lynch. In another league my main rival had Gronk and Lynch. It took all the fun out of it for me. Since that time I really went out of my way to not diversify.

Organically it tends to work out in such a way I don't have a lot if diversity because I put so much stock in my own research and conclusions so I'm naturally going to keep targeting a similar group of players.

I see teams in one league with players I got on a team in another league and think stuff like if things go well for me in this league they won't go well for me in this other league and I don't like that thought.

I got one caveat and it's usually rookie drafts were I'm legit 50/50 torn on a player and lack the conviction to go all in. This does not happen a lot but when it does I will split the difference. Did this last year with Drake London and Garrett Wilson.

But I get a lot of comments in trade discussions were someone might say "I'm willing to trade this player here because I own a ton of him all over" and that approach does not apply to me.

Short version is I like who I like and I like to know if that player does good he does so for me and not against me.

But I get a lot of comments in trade discussions were someone might say "I'm willing to trade this player here because I own a ton of him all over" and that approach does not apply to me.
While I’m sure this is true, it’s also one of those things managers say when trying to move a player for whatever reason.

Back when I first got into dynasty and just had a few teams I had two teams in the FFPC final 4. The FFPC final 4 format is total points among the final 4 teams the last two weeks of the season(great format).

I only had 3 dynasty teams at the time and was really looking forward to a nice 2 week end of season playoff. One of my teams had Gronk and Lynch. In another league my main rival had Gronk and Lynch. It took all the fun out of it for me. Since that time I really went out of my way to not diversify.

Organically it tends to work out in such a way I don't have a lot if diversity because I put so much stock in my own research and conclusions so I'm naturally going to keep targeting a similar group of players.

I see teams in one league with players I got on a team in another league and think stuff like if things go well for me in this league they won't go well for me in this other league and I don't like that thought.

I got one caveat and it's usually rookie drafts were I'm legit 50/50 torn on a player and lack the conviction to go all in. This does not happen a lot but when it does I will split the difference. Did this last year with Drake London and Garrett Wilson.

Short version is I like who I like and I like to know if that player does good he does so for me and not against me.

I’ve used that line in offers a few times but each and every time was lying lol.

I’ve used that line in offers a few times but each and every time was lying lol.
Yea I for sure never put much stock in it.

I'm only in one dynasty league but one strategy I always do that is that I always keep my future 1st round and 2nd round draft picks no matter how good my team looks until it's a near certainty my team is going to make the playoffs so I know I am not giving up early round picks.

The reason for this that draft picks act as a hedge against the rest of your team. So if my team sucks it becomes much more valuable. If my team is really good then it becomes less valuable.

This is sort of related to diversification just at the individual team level rather then at a macro multiple league level.

I think you need to acknowledge that every one of us has slightly different rankings in our mind, even if we aren't aware of it. You get a gut feeling on a player and think he's under-valued on the market, you're going to find yourself acquiring him in more then one league simply because YOU are the outlier on the player.
I think most of us have a handful of players that show up on several of our rosters

I think you need to acknowledge that every one of us has slightly different rankings in our mind, even if we aren't aware of it. You get a gut feeling on a player and think he's under-valued on the market, you're going to find yourself acquiring him in more then one league simply because YOU are the outlier on the player.
I think most of us have a handful of players that show up on several of our rosters
For sure. And sometimes we misss.

That sort of came up earlier - as a process you try to identity players you think will do well. Naturally that process will lead you to drafting or acquiring multiple copies of the same assets where possible.

When I used to do 3-4 redraft leagues I would actively try to diversify - sometimes it worked out well (injury) & sometimes not (could have had a better asset).

So for dynasty I try not to worry about it. If I am high on a player imma try to get them everywhere I can.

Last edited:
I diversify when possible. I won two titles last year, and neither team had an overlapping player.
That said, I will only diversify if the deal makes sense.
Also, if I value two guys nearly identically and have one on a team, I will go for the other guy on my other team.
Ultimately, I'll make moves if I like the deal. If I get a good deal on the same player in every league, I can just trade him another time.
As for late round pick, I have no problem taking the same few guys late in every rookie draft. Totally different than having overlapping starters IMO.

I have 6 teams with very different rules between them: 2 are re-drafts, a 16 team SF with standard scoring and a 12 team non-SF with PPR. Then 4 dynasty teams, a 12 team SF PPR, a 12 team non-SF PPR, a 10 team standard non-SF where each team protects 6 player before the rookie draft and then the league pulls 2 players (by vote) from every roster that go into the rookie draft pool, and a 32 team PPR non-SF where every player is available twice. Half my effort in every draft or trade is to be sure I am thinking/choosing in the right league/rules.

It seems best for me that I don't try to diversify or to avoid it. In each instance I just try to take the best player or make the best trade. This leads to many players being on 2-3 of my teams (typically those who I like more than most) and no more than 3 shares of anyone.

As HSG noted, ghostguy had a very impressive season winning 2 leagues with completely diverse rosters. I can't claim that, but there is extra satisfaction in doing well with mostly different rosters. I also like that virtually every game has great meaning for my week, although that comes with the downside of having several guys on my side in some game(s) and on my opponents' in others. With the numbers, I also have no time or interest in evaluating my opponents or playing particular guys based on who an opponent is starting. I just want to score as much as I can. There's still always a best and worst outcome to root for and against.

When I had more teams I tried to diversify. Now that I only have two, I don’t mind having duplicates in both.
But the teams are on opposite ends, one champion the other looking ugly. So the only players I have in both leagues are Garrett Wilson and Chig Okonkwo.

I just make trades and roster moves that I think are correct. I'm only in the one league, but I'd use that approach if I was in more than one. If I got into a spot where I'm rostering the same player a sigma above expectation I might take that as a sign to double check my evaluations. Then decide I'm right and trade for him elsewhere

I don't worry too much about diversifying between my dynasty and re-draft team. Do what's best always. If I'm at an absolute deadlock, tiebreaker goes to the guy I don't already have a share of.

Would rather diversify my life than get to a point where I have so many teams that over-exposure and diversifying assets is a real thing to worry about. But I know it's easy with best ball leagues.

Diversify but still only among players I like. I won’t take a guy player I’m not a fan of just to “get a share.” Also having a lot of a guy that I think is good value won’t stop me from adding more.

I've only played in two leagues in the last couple of years: an inexpensive redraft league (work) and a deep IDP dynasty league. I definitely target players in the redraft that I wish I had in dynasty.

I've only played in two leagues in the last couple of years: an inexpensive redraft league (work) and a deep IDP dynasty league. I definitely target players in the redraft that I wish I had in dynasty.
I did this for a while. My redraft teams always looked awesome but rarely won because I went after the guy I expected to go big instead of taking a few safer bets. Like loading up on tech stocks and ignoring value funds. (Not saying you’ll do that but I sure did)

Users who are viewing this thread