What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Casey Printers, QB, CFL (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I was reading an article that Casey Printers has been in discussion with a few NFL teams (KC, MIA, DET) and will decide in the next couple weeks whether to stay in the CFL or give the NFL a shot.Any CFL fans have any opinion on his chances of succeeding in the NFL? Or is this a Ricky Ray redux?

Casey Printers, quarterback, B.C. Lions: Printers wasted no time this month, booking workouts with the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs, and is sure to get looks from other teams. He seems to have all the mobility and playmaking skills to succeed in the NFL, and his age, 24, is another plus. He was the CFL's most outstanding player in 2004, but it's hard to know how NFL teams will view his 2005 season, which was plagued by injuries. Also, the Lions lost most of Printers's starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Canada and I am a big CFL fan. Personally, I don't think that Casey Printers has any NFL chances. He may be able to sucure a 3rd string role with a team desparate at QB (i.e the Jets), but IMO he will never be a starter.Some background on Printers - he won the CFL MOP (Most Outstanding Player) in 2004, however, that year he did not play in the Grey Cup - the head coach decided to play Dave Dickenson instead in the championship game. Also, the team Printers plays for (BC Lions) have AMAZING WRs. This allows Printers to just toss the ball anywhere and the WRs will grab the balls - his accuracy isnt the greatest. Printers is very mobile though - in terms of an NFL comparison, I would say he is a mixture of a healthy McNaab and Vick - Printers will pass much more than Vick though.Here are his stats from his MOP season:Year 2004 Games 18 Att 494 Comp 325 Pct 65.8 Yards 5088 Lng 102 TD 35 Int 10 Rating 115.01 Rush 82 Yards 469Rush Avg 5.7 Rush TD 9 Personally, I think he's trying out with NFL teams so that he can get a better contract here with the CFL. The BC Lions have offered him a 3 year $1.2 million contract, which he has not yet accepted. BC has arguably the two best CFL quarterbacks, so if Printers signs, I have been hearing rumours that Dickenson will come to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (my home team). There is an outsde chance that Printers could sign with Winnipeg too.

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of analysis I was looking for. The reason I love this board. :thumbup:Vaguely remember him when he was at TCU, but that's about it. Won't bother putting in a claim for him.

For what its worth, theres several Canadian Dolphin fans on the Finheaven board that really wanted that guy to sign in Miami. Sounds like a nice, sneaky signing by the Chiefs.

For what its worth, theres several Canadian Dolphin fans on the Fimheaven board that really wanted that guy to sign in Miami. Sounds like a nice, sneaky signing by the Chiefs.
Canadian Dolphins? Wouldn't that be like the Mexican Polar Bears?

I wonder if Herman Edwards had any say in this signing. Don't even know if he's unpacked his stuff in Vermeil's office yet.
Interesting that Edwards was coach of the Jets when they had Ricky Ray, which was the most recent example of a star CFL QB trying the NFL. That one didn't really work out, so Edwards probably isn't expecting the world here.

Casey Printers just signed a 3 year deal with the Chiefs.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/footba...526703d&k=47012

Looks like those in deep dynasty leagues might actually have to look at this guy a bit closer. I'm assuming he'll be #3 behind T. Green and T. Collins.

I wonder if Herman Edwards had any say in this signing. Don't even know if he's unpacked his stuff in Vermeil's office yet.
Or maybe Trent Green made a mention to Peterson? Green played for the BC Lions (Printers' team) at one time in his career:Trent Green Bio

… Followed an unlikely path to NFL success after beginning his career with San Diego in ‘93 … Had a brief, two-week stint on the roster of the CFL’s British Columbia Lions in ‘94 before catching on in Washington (’95-98) ...
I'll bet few on this board knew that, but ol' Couch Potato did.

Looks like those in deep dynasty leagues might actually have to look at this guy a bit closer.  I'm assuming he'll be #3 behind T. Green and T. Collins. 

I wonder if Herman Edwards had any say in this signing.  Don't even know if he's unpacked his stuff in Vermeil's office yet.
Or maybe Trent Green made a mention to Peterson? Green played for the BC Lions (Printers' team) at one time in his career:Trent Green Bio

… Followed an unlikely path to NFL success after beginning his career with San Diego in ‘93 … Had a brief, two-week stint on the roster of the CFL’s British Columbia Lions in ‘94 before catching on in Washington (’95-98) ...
So, you're saying that a player (Green), who had essentially a two-week tryout with a team 12 years ago, may have made "a mention" regarding a player who was 11-13 years old when Green last set foot on a Canadian football field? :rolleyes:

And for this you want a pat on the back for your unique insight?

Looks like those in deep dynasty leagues might actually have to look at this guy a bit closer. I'm assuming he'll be #3 behind T. Green and T. Collins.

So, you're saying that a player (Green), who had essentially a two-week tryout with a team 12 years ago, may have made "a mention" regarding a player who was 11-13 years old when Green last set foot on a Canadian football field? :rolleyes:

And for this you want a pat on the back for your unique insight?
No, I was being mostly tongue in cheek. But you know what? It didn't call for your eye rolling and unnecassary 'pat on the back for your unique insight' comment. Why do you have to be such a ####?

Why do you have to be such a ####?
I think I'm more of an #######, but I could see where some people might consider "****" a more appropriate term.Anyway, if you took it wrong, I apologize. Just bustin your balls, that's all. Geez, you try and kid people, and they get all offended. No harm meant.

Now, GO GET YOUR ####### SHINE BOX!

Don't have the quotes but CFL coaches have said he is better at his age then Flutie, Garcia, and other great CFL qb's were when they played. I think he is definitely a good prospect but hard to make a judgement.

From the BC Website

2004: Passed for a league-leading 35 touchdowns and broke the record for highest pass completion percentage in a regular season with 90.9 percent. CFL Offensive Player of the Week (weeks six and eight); CFL Offensive Player of the Month (August); CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Award; CFL All-Star; Western Division All-Star.

College: 2002: Spent his senior year at Florida A&M after playing the previous three years for Texas Christian University. Led the Rattlers to a 7-5 record in the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference, completing 123 of 218 passes for 1,517 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. Also rushed for three touchdowns. 2001: Completed 136 of 252 passes for 1,825 yards and 13 touchdowns. Finished in third place on the Horned Frogs all-time passing yards list with 4,621 yards and 37 touchdowns. Passed for over 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. 2000: Finished fourth in the WAC in pass completion percentage, going 102 of 176 for 1,584 yards with 16 touchdowns and six interceptions. 1999: Named Freshman of the Year by the Dallas Morning News after earning MVP honours in the Mobile Bowl, when he completed 13 of 19 passes for 174 yards and a touchdown. Went 86-150 on the year for 1,213 yards and eight touchdowns, and was named a third-team Freshman All-America by the Sporting News.

Personal: Best words of advice Casey ever received was “Nothing is ever as good as it seems or as bad as it seems but in reality it falls right in the middle.” Notes most memorable football moment as winning back to back conference championships while at TCU.

I live in Vancouver and watched Printers many times. He's extremely athletic, mobile, and has a gun. He has good size.His head is a bit suspect. He got into pissing matches this year with the coaches, and dissed the team when he was leaving. This could just be his young age, but it's hard to tell. When things were going good for him he was great, but as soon as he faced a bit of adversity he seemed to moan.He has been compared to Warren Moon.It's really hard to tell how the CFL game will translate to the NFL. I don't think Printers will get much of a shot next year, but if he gets a break you might see him playing in a couple of years. If you're in one of those 50 player leagues he would be worth a shot.

From the BC Website

2004: Passed for a league-leading 35 touchdowns and broke the record for highest pass completion percentage in a regular season with 90.9 percent. CFL Offensive Player of the Week (weeks six and eight); CFL Offensive Player of the Month (August); CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Award; CFL All-Star; Western Division All-Star.
There was a typo in this website writeup. I checked that year's stats, and what was meant was "in a regular season game with 90.9 percent." The game was on 10/22/04 against Calgary where he was 10-11-120-0-0. Not nearly so impressive as the quote leads us to believe.2004 stats (PDF file)

Users who are viewing this thread