What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the number one player in a dynasty league?

• RB Larry Johnson, KC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

• RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

• RB Clinton Portis, WAS

• RB Cadillac Williams, TB

• RB Steven Jackson, STL

• RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

• RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

• RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

• QB Peyton Manning, IND

• RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

Who is the #1 player to have in a dynasty league?

I will try to add a second poll later tonight if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snorlax. I was thinking of doing the same thing but figured I haven't yet earned my way in the form of dynasty.

Should be a tight race for #1.

I voted for LJ since he's got 5+ years in him while some worry that LT2 is already slowing down as he hasn't finished strong the last 2 years.

Personally I own LT2 in my only dynasty and hope he can stay healthy for as long as the league stays alive.

That being said, I think you should consider doing this list one at a time.

However, If there is a case like this where two players are going to get 80+% of the vote, I would pencil them both in and go straight to #3.

This will speed up the list and keep everyone happy.

Away we go!

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote goes to Portis. I took this guy at #2 overall last year and would take him #1 this year. Well not really, I would trade the pick blah blah blah... Anyway, he has all the talent in the world, a top 5 Oline, great head coach, great D and now the best OC in the busness as far as Fantasy RB prduction is concerned. The WRs are only getting better as Moss will continue to stretch the field and Cooley is a beast in the middle. Don't be mistaken though. Despite all these weapons, the Wash O and Saunders O will run through Porits. All of that said, the guy is still only 24 years old! :shock:

My vote goes to Portis. I took this guy at #2 overall last year and would take him #1 this year. Well not really, I would trade the pick blah blah blah... Anyway, he has all the talent in the world, a top 5 Oline, great head coach, great D and now the best OC in the busness as far as Fantasy RB prduction is concerned. The WRs are only getting better as Moss will continue to stretch the field and Cooley is a beast in the middle. Don't be mistaken though. Despite all these weapons, the Wash O and Saunders O will run through Porits. All of that said, the guy is still only 24 years old! :shock:
Funny, I offered Portis for the 1.01 and an older RB earlier today, I don't think the other guy is biting. I like Portis enough, but can't see him as the #1.Two dog race, pick your poison. A bit more wear and tear or an aging surrounding offense. As much as I like the Chiefs, that offense is going to look very different in 3 years or less. Sure LJ should still be there, but the others won't be.

Just my opinion of course, but put LJ on a weaker offense, say Buffalo, and his performance is not near what it is now.

I went with LT2.

I'm a big LJ (or KC RB) fan. I drafted Priest first overall last year in my big money redraft league (over LT) with the intention of cuffing him with LJ in the 5th, and that won me my league (LJ carried me through the playoffs where LT would not have) so I definitely am a KC RB fan.

However, in a dynasty I'd still go LT. I don't have ANY concerns with LJ holding up over a full season (he had a full season's workload last year and had no real injury problems) but the guys around him falling apart (and already losing Vermeil + Richardson) as they continue to age scares me a bit.

Ditto :thumbup:

Don't forget in a dynasty, Willie Roaf and Will Shields will prolly both be retired in 07-08. Might change up that line.

What everyone thought was a three-horse race at the end of the season has turned into a headsup match. I'm going to give #1 to LT and #2 to LJ and start the next poll.

Very nice. I guess this is going to fast enough to end before the draft.

It'll be interesting to see where D'Angelo and Reggie go.

I have yet to join a full fledged dynasty league. I'm in two minimal keeper leagues. So you can take my opinions with a grain of salt. This pick seems to be obvious. LJ or LT.

LT for the same reasons listed above. I look forward to the seeing where Portis and Jackson end up.

I voted for LJ since he's got 5+ years in him while some worry that LT2 is already slowing down as he hasn't finished strong the last 2 years.
You sure about that quote, because if you look at the stats you'll see it not true.

You sure about that quote, because if you look at the stats you'll see it not true.
I'm glad somebody corrected me.Musta been a little :banned:

:bag:

Another misconception is that LT is showing wear and tear on his legs. But really in 2005 he had a chest injury which had nothing to do with his legs. LT has about 2000 touches in his career. Really special backs in the mould of Walter Payton and Emmit Smith (which I think LT is) don't start to see a decline until they hit somewhere in the range of 3500 touches. That should give LT at least another 3 or 4 years of really good play before he starts to decline.

While I agree that Portis is a very good fantasy RB, I really have a very hard time seeing him as the #1 overall player. While I can certainly see him in the 2000 total yard neighborhood, IMO there is no way that he will push 20+ TDs, as LT, LJ, and Alexander are clearly capable of. Washington might not be the worst place for a fantasy RB to play, but those other three guys play in systems that have a proven track record of producing 20+ TD RBs. Banking on the Redskins to suddenly get Portis the necessary red zone touches to compete with the big three seems a bit far fetched to me.

While I agree that Portis is a very good fantasy RB, I really have a very hard time seeing him as the #1 overall player. While I can certainly see him in the 2000 total yard neighborhood, IMO there is no way that he will push 20+ TDs, as LT, LJ, and Alexander are clearly capable of. Washington might not be the worst place for a fantasy RB to play, but those other three guys play in systems that have a proven track record of producing 20+ TD RBs. Banking on the Redskins to suddenly get Portis the necessary red zone touches to compete with the big three seems a bit far fetched to me.
They will be using the Al Saunders system. The very system that got Holmes and LJ the very same TDs you are speaking of. :confused:

They will be using the Al Saunders system. The very system that got Holmes and LJ the very same TDs you are speaking of. :confused:
Yeah, but Washington is vastly inferior talent-wise on offense to the unit that KC has put on the field the past few years. The offensive line, in particular, is nowhere near as good as that of the Chiefs. I like Portis alot, and have him at #4, but don't think it is wise to bank on elite TD numbers out of him.

Yeah, but Washington is vastly inferior talent-wise on offense to the unit that KC has put on the field the past few years. The offensive line, in particular, is nowhere near as good as that of the Chiefs. I like Portis alot, and have him at #4, but don't think it is wise to bank on elite TD numbers out of him.
Portis had 11 TDs in Wash last year w/o Al and the upgrades at WR. I think a realistic number of 12+ with a bit more yardage is a starting point for him going forward. I'm looking at a projection of about 15 TDs right now.

Portis had 11 TDs in Wash last year w/o Al and the upgrades at WR. I think a realistic number of 12+ with a bit more yardage is a starting point for him going forward. I'm looking at a projection of about 15 TDs right now.
I agree that 15 TDs is a realistic projection. Personally, I'd just rather have the proven 20 TD guys ahead of Portis, even if he is a bit younger.

They will be using the Al Saunders system.  The very system that got Holmes and LJ the very same TDs you are speaking of. :confused:
Washington has one of the top OLines in the league. Jansen, and Samules are one of the best set of bookends you can have, Randy Thomas is a stud, Casey Rabach is a fine center, and Derrick Dockery is coming alond nicely. The only thing that the line really lacks is a decent depth.And what inferior talent are you refering to?? Chris Cooley, who was a top 10 TE? or Santana Moss the #2 WR in the league last year? or Portis the #4 RB?? Or is it Brunell who threw for over 3000 yds???

Washington has one of the top OLines in the league. Jansen, and Samules are one of the best set of bookends you can have, Randy Thomas is a stud, Casey Rabach is a fine center, and Derrick Dockery is coming alond nicely. The only thing that the line really lacks is a decent depth.

And what inferior talent are you refering to?? Chris Cooley, who was a top 10 TE? or Santana Moss the #2 WR in the league last year? or Portis the #4 RB?? Or is it Brunell who threw for over 3000 yds???
Don't get me wrong; I like Portis quite a bit. I just can't see him at #1 overall, ahead of LT and LJ, specifically. A case could be made for Portis ahead of Alexander based on the age difference, bit LJ and LT are both in the prime of their careers.And yes, I do think that Washington's offense is inferior, relative to that that the Chiefs have put on the field for the past several years. They are not terrible vs. the NFL as a whole, but the KC unit has been among the best in the NFL, and the KC offensive line has probably been the best that I have ever seen, particularly in the running game. Washington made strides last year, but I don't think that they compare to the Chiefs of the past several years just yet.

I'd take proven the 20 TD players, LT and LJ, ahead of Portis for sure. A strong case can be made either way concerning Portis vs. Alexander, depending on how heavily one values youth vs. proven production. Portis at #3 or #4: absolutely. Portis at #1: absolutely not.

Washington has one of the top OLines in the league.  Jansen, and Samules are one of the best set of bookends you can have, Randy Thomas is a stud, Casey Rabach is a fine center, and Derrick Dockery is coming alond nicely.  The only thing that the line really lacks is a decent depth.

And what inferior talent are you refering to??  Chris Cooley, who was a top 10 TE? or Santana Moss the #2 WR in the league last year?  or Portis the #4 RB?? Or is it Brunell who threw for over 3000 yds???
Don't get me wrong; I like Portis quite a bit. I just can't see him at #1 overall, ahead of LT and LJ, specifically. A case could be made for Portis ahead of Alexander based on the age difference, bit LJ and LT are both in the prime of their careers.And yes, I do think that Washington's offense is inferior, relative to that that the Chiefs have put on the field for the past several years. They are not terrible vs. the NFL as a whole, but the KC unit has been among the best in the NFL, and the KC offensive line has probably been the best that I have ever seen, particularly in the running game. Washington made strides last year, but I don't think that they compare to the Chiefs of the past several years just yet.

I'd take proven the 20 TD players, LT and LJ, ahead of Portis for sure. A strong case can be made either way concerning Portis vs. Alexander, depending on how heavily one values youth vs. proven production. Portis at #3 or #4: absolutely. Portis at #1: absolutely not.
I'm not saying Portis should be taking #1. What I don't understand is how you can call a team "inferior offense" when the have a top 10 TE, top 5 RB, top 2 WR, that seems pretty decent to me.

Users who are viewing this thread