What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the #3 player in a dynasty league?

• RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Clinton Portis, WAS

• RB Cadillac Williams, TB

• RB Steven Jackson, STL

• RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

• RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

• RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

• QB Peyton Manning, IND

• RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter among the poll choices will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2. RB Larry Johnson, KC

Who is the #3 player to have in a dynasty league? If you vote other please list the player.

I will try to add the next poll sometime Sunday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
should probably do a player every day or two
I'm trying to get as many done as I can before the NFL Draft. We can judge if a poll needs more or less time on an individual poll basis.Also, someone already voted other and didn't list the player.

should probably do a player every day or two
I'm trying to get as many done as I can before the NFL Draft.
but you said you didn't want to clutter the board with your dynasty threads?Well I was replying to that....
No, I meant that I don't think that players who are getting zero votes are cluttering the poll choices at this point. Maybe I should clarify that. Anyway, it shouldn't be more than a couple threads a day.

Alexander and it's not even close.  He should be at #2.
this guy get no love. I think he should be the #1 pick in redraft leagues
He'll be 29 at the start of this season. That is a factor for a lot of people when you look at the tippy-top of the dynasty rankings. Also, Hutchinson is gone and the best tackle in the league, Walter Jones, is 32.For next year, sure, I love Alexander. But two or three years from now, younger guys are going to be worth a LOT more.

I think the problem with a lot of dynasty owners is that they try to project too far out. People worry about "potential" way to much and not enough about "production". If you look any further than 2 or 3 years out you are probably looking too far ahead. Give me the guy that I know will be good the next two or three years vs. the guy that might be good in 2 or 3.

There is a faction out there that also believes 30 is the wall for RBs and that because SA is 29 he's gonna hit the wall sooner rather than later. But you're seeing alot more RBs once they hit 30 still put up some really good numbers: Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Warrick Dunn. Probably because of advances in training and medicine players are able to hang around longer.

I think the problem with a lot of dynasty owners is that they try to project too far out. People worry about "potential" way to much and not enough about "production". If you look any further than 2 or 3 years out you are probably looking too far ahead. Give me the guy that I know will be good the next two or three years vs. the guy that might be good in 2 or 3.
This is a problem that I have also, trying to determine what is exactly being "asked" for by dynasty rankings. If we're not going to account for a players age (and knock them for being old), then why do a separate set of rankings in the first place?

:goodposting: Alexander has also been one of the most durable RBs in the NFL the past several seasons. This isn't like Priest the last few years, who had an extensive injury history and was several years older. I see no reason that Alexander won't remain in the top handful of fantasy RBs for the next two or three years.

There is a faction out there that also believes 30 is the wall for RBs and that because SA is 29 he's gonna hit the wall sooner rather than later. But you're seeing alot more RBs once they hit 30 still put up some really good numbers: Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Warrick Dunn. Probably because of advances in training and medicine players are able to hang around longer.
There is a balance to hit out there, and it's pretty elusive.I'm not saying I'd drop Alexander to #10 because of his age, I'm saying I understand why people don't necessarily want to put him at #2 or even #3.

It's also not like I'm saying put a bunch of guys we've never seen play in front of him either. I'm saying I don't have a problem considering guys who have shown some production (but not at Aleander's level) and could equal or better that production for the next 5 or 6 or 10 years.

For dynasty it's pretty obvious that age IS a factor. It's not THE factor, but it is A factor. Even aside from the skill decline issue, there's just the simple fact that you'll get more years (all else equal) from a younger back and there is value there. Even IF Alexander outproduces a younger guys semi-significantly for the next two or three years (which isn't guarnteed), it isn't a slam dunk that that is more valuable than having a guy perform reasonably well for you for 8 or 9 years.

4 years ago, when Faulk was 29, you would have been crazy to consider a guy like Tomlinson over a guy like Faulk. People in the "2-3 years is all that matters" camp would have KILLED you for ranking Tomlinson over faulk (or George, etc). Now Tomlinson is king, and will be valuable for many more years. Granted, not all these young guys turn out to be Tomlinsons, but some of these young guys are going to have GREAT careers.

I think the problem with a lot of dynasty owners is that they try to project too far out.  People worry about "potential" way to much and not enough about "production".  If you look any further than 2 or 3 years out you are probably looking too far ahead.  Give me the guy that I know will be good the next two or three years vs. the guy that might be good in 2 or 3.   

There is a faction out there that also believes 30 is the wall for RBs and that because SA is 29 he's gonna hit the wall sooner rather than later.  But you're seeing alot more RBs once they hit 30 still put up some really good numbers: Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Warrick Dunn.  Probably because of advances in training and medicine players are able to hang around longer.
I play in 4 dynasty leagues. I look 2 to 3 years down the road no more. I will take a proven talent like SA over a potential talent like Bush over the next 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread