What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the #5 player to own in a dynasty league?

• RB Cadillac Williams, TB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Steven Jackson, STL

• RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

• RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

• RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

• QB Peyton Manning, IND

• RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

• RB Edgerrin James, ARI

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter among the poll choices will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2. RB Larry Johnson, KC

3. RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

4. RB Clinton Portis, WAS

Who is the #5 player to have in a dynasty league? If you vote other please list the player. I added Edgerrin James by request. If you think someone else should be added next round let me know.

I'll put the next poll up either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in a league with a point per reception, then Bush could be a monster.

Honestly, it's close as is... I went Jackson.

:shakes head:

Is anyone who voted Reggie Bush seriously saying they would take him at #5 in a startup dynasty? Not saying he isnt great and all, but theres no way Im taking that much risk with my 1st pick.

:shakes head:

Is anyone who voted Reggie Bush seriously saying they would take him at #5 in a startup dynasty? Not saying he isnt great and all, but theres no way Im taking that much risk with my 1st pick.
:goodposting: ETA: After the 1st four picks are off the board, the next several picks are very difficult to separate and if an owner like jurb26 were in my league I'ld be looking to trade down especially if it will net me an additional 3rd or 4th round pick from the guy that "has to have" Reggie Bush. Even if that owner has the 12th pick I would still gladly exchange 1st rounders and try to exchange 2nd rounders as well. Something like 1.05, 2.07, 8.07 for 1.12, 2.01, 4.01. If he's sitting at 10, 11, or 12 he just might go for this in the belief that Bush won't be around for him if he chooses to wait it out. So this year if you're joining a new dynasty league and you are sitting at 5, 6, 7, or 8 you might want to try something like this.

Bush in the 5 hole going to that hideous team just makes no sense. This is not like Edgerrin James going to the Colts...its more like Ricky Williams going to New Orleans. At the 5 spot in dynasty drafts or redrafts, hair is being pulled out. This is the pick you really dont want....unless of course youre wanting Manning this year, and I wouldnt balk at that move at all. Id go for Manning or Steven Jackson in this spot......or trade down.

Bush in the 5 hole going to that hideous team just makes no sense. This is not like Edgerrin James going to the Colts.
Why? the colts were 3-13 the year before they drafted edge 4th over-all.

Bush in the 5 hole going to that hideous team just makes no sense.  This is not like Edgerrin James going to the Colts.
I remember the year and I remember the record, and Im telling you there is no comparison. Peyton Manning got better all throughout that year and he was throwing the ball to Marvin Harrison. Those 2 are perennial all-pros and HOFers that just needed someone to tote the rock, not carry the team. David Carr is NO Peyton Manning and Andre Johnson is no Marvin Harrison. Beyone bad records, the talent level isnt nearly the same. Adding an old WR and a TE not wanted by a strong team because he 'lacked toughness' dont balance this O out. The major difference is obviously at QB. Comparing the leagues most prolific QB to one of the leagues worst just doesnt make much sense.

Bush in the 5 hole going to that hideous team just makes no sense. This is not like Edgerrin James going to the Colts.
I remember the year and I remember the record, and Im telling you there is no comparison. Peyton Manning got better all throughout that year and he was throwing the ball to Marvin Harrison. Those 2 are perennial all-pros and HOFers that just needed someone to tote the rock, not carry the team. David Carr is NO Peyton Manning and Andre Johnson is no Marvin Harrison. Beyone bad records, the talent level isnt nearly the same. Adding an old WR and a TE not wanted by a strong team because he 'lacked toughness' dont balance this O out. The major difference is obviously at QB. Comparing the leagues most prolific QB to one of the leagues worst just doesnt make much sense.
so you knew that after 1 season, Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison were going to be perennial all-pro's and HOFers? can I borrow your magic eight ball?Before edge got to indy Marvins stats were:

Code:
1996	Indianapolis Colts	16	15	64	836	13.1	41	8	15	1	431997	Indianapolis Colts	16	15	73	866	11.9	44	6	9	2	461998	Indianapolis Colts	12	12	59	776
Befor Reggie gets to Houston AJ's (who was selected a full round before Marvin) stats were:
Code:
2003	Houston Texans	16	16	66	976	14.8	46	4	14	4	452004	Houston Texans	16	16	79	1142	14.5	54	6	18	3	532005	Houston Texans	13	13	63	688
seems VERY comparable to me. Add to that comparison the FACT that Bush is a much better prospect and I think you can make a serious case for him being at least a top 5 pick in dynasty leagues.

Not that I'd vote for him yet, or probably in the next 3, but if Rudi, Peyton and Edge are on this poll, McGahee should be as well.

SJax is my vote here.

I was just thinking about adding McGahee to the next poll. I'm considering doing a runoff here; I'll give it a little more time yet.

This is interesting thread glad you started it... I would take S Jackson here, clearly he is in a more explosive team then Caddy. So its an easy choice.

Brown, Manning, Williams in that order. Manning is a 16 game starter year in and year out. Take the guy with the upside you go with Brown. Take the guy with consistency you go with Manning.

What makes you think that Brown is better then Caddy? just curious as last year he split time with R Williams and didnt really show that much.

Bush in the 5 hole going to that hideous team just makes no sense. This is not like Edgerrin James going to the Colts...its more like Ricky Williams going to New Orleans. At the 5 spot in dynasty drafts or redrafts, hair is being pulled out. This is the pick you really dont want....unless of course youre wanting Manning this year, and I wouldnt balk at that move at all. Id go for Manning or Steven Jackson in this spot......or trade down.
Not saying that I disagree with you, but Bush was just taken at 1.05 in a start up dynasty draft after the 4 that are listed.

What makes you think that Brown is better then Caddy? just curious as last year he split time with R Williams and didnt really show that much.
Brown showed much more than Williams. While sharing the load with Ricky, Ronnie was still able to put up great numbers in a two back set while, for the most part, Caddy put up 2a numbers if you were going to use him as a fantasy back.Plus, Brown did not get injured for any amount of time and a bigger key stat, I believe, is the way Miami has changed their team. The addition of Culpepper, hopefully healthy, will open the passing game up with, possible, fewer 7 man fronts for Brown to see. The threat of Cpep running or throwing deep to McMichael or Chambers moves Brown ahead of Caddy. Tampa, while a playoff team most likely, has not made the changes to move forward like Miami has.

Yeah, a team so hideous that it got DD to rank as RB 14, 5 and 17 3 straight years not one of which was a complete season. This is also a team that got DD no less than 39 rec in those 3 seasons and that 39 only came due to an 11 game season out of DD.

I was hoping like Hell Bush would fall to me @ 1.12 in my startup dynasty draft but he went 1.05 after LJ LT SA and Portis....(it is a ppr league though but i like his thinking...he could have played it safer but he went with the most talented player left on the board.) I probaly would have done the same thing right there besides trying to trade down a slot or 2 to gain extra picks...But to each is own.

I was hoping like Hell Bush would fall to me @ 1.12 in my startup dynasty draft but he went 1.05 after LJ LT SA and Portis....(it is a ppr league though but i like his thinking...he could have played it safer but he went with the most talented player left on the board.) I probaly would have done the same thing right there besides trying to trade down a slot or 2 to gain extra picks...But to each is own.
I have the 6th pick and am PRAYING he falls to me there but it won't happen

I'd make S.Jax 5a, and Caddy 5b

Ditto with Brown and Bush for 7a and 7b if one gets some more votes.

Or we could get some more discussion about Bush and Brown in a sperate poll with only those two for the next two spots

I do think I'll give #5 to SJax and put another poll up for the #6 position. It might be Caddy, but it might play out differently too once SJax is gone.

This is dynasty you have to have McGahee on this list. You should also have K. Jones on the list as he should be higher than some of the guys you list :thumbdown:

There are going to be closer races than this one, and its more than likely a waste of time to re-poll it.

While I do agree S.Jackson is the #5, these polls make you think twice as you can hear opposing arguments as to who should be ranked higher. I consider these "democracy rules" polls more of a rank-making tool since alot of voters are Dynasty vets.

So my advice would be don't take it personal if the majority votes are against your rankings, and don't even worry about how the rankings come out on paper.

I'm trying to get through these polls fairly quickly, so I'm not going to do a runoff unless it's a little closer. Jackson's lead has been fluctuating between 3-5 votes; that should be fine. These polls seem to start levelling off around 100 votes or so in this timeframe, and that's where this one is; I don't want to wait to have to wait longer for a new group of voters to come in. These are also only a guide and will be inexact for a variety of reasons; the most important thing is to just get a good feel for consensus opinion in each poll.

Users who are viewing this thread