What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the #17 player to own in a dynasty league?

• WR Steve Smith, CAR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Tiki Barber, NYG

• RB Kevin Jones, DET

• RB Brian Westbrook, PHI

• WR Randy Moss, OAK

• WR Anquan Boldin, ARI

• WR Terrell Owens, DAL

• WR Torry Holt, STL

• TE Antonio Gates, SD

• QB Carson Palmer, CIN

• RB Jamal Lewis, BAL

• RB Julius Jones, DAL

• QB Tom Brady, NE

• RB Deuce McAllister, NO

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter among the poll choices will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2. RB Larry Johnson, KC

3. RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

4. RB Clinton Portis, WAS

5. RB Steven Jackson, STL

6. RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

7. (Runoff) RB Cadillac Williams, TB

8. RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

9. (Runoff) RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

10. RB Willis McGahee, BUF

11. QB Peyton Manning, IND

12. (Runoff) RB DeAngelo Williams, NCAA

13. WR Larry Fitzgerald, ARI

14. RB Edgerrin James, ARI

15. WR Chad Johnson, CIN

16. RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

Who is the #17 player to have in a dynasty league? If you vote other please list the player. If you think someone else should be added next round let me know.

I will probably put the next poll up either tonight or in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiki seems to be a steal
If you match this pick up with someone picking Bush in the first round it's a good mix of youth and experience. Good place for Tiki.

Tiki seems to be a steal
Tiki is about a 6th-8th round pick in a dynasty league.
Not if you actually care about winning this year.
Isn't that what people said about Holmes last year? Right now, Tiki is #41 in my dynasty rankings. That might be too high.
I wouldn't go that fair but I do agree Tiki has 1 or 2 years left in the tank. I wouldn't waste this early of a pick on him. Maybe somewhere in the low 20's.

Tiki seems to be a steal
Isn't that what people said about Holmes last year? Right now, Tiki is #41 in my dynasty rankings. That might be too high.
Holmes had already burned owners two of his previous 3 seasons by getting injured. I don't have the same concerns about Tiki this year. It could happen like it could with anyone but I think Tiki's likelihood of being a top 5 RB this year makes him worth it at this point. My other choice is Kevin Jones but he's much more of a short-term risk than Tiki. It depends on what my pick was in the first round, but if it was a risky pick like Bush then I'd take Tiki. However, if I already had Edge I'd probably go with KJ.

Tiki seems to be a steal
Holmes had already burned owners two of his previous 3 seasons by getting injured. I don't have the same concerns about Tiki this year. It could happen like it could with anyone but I think Tiki's likelihood of being a top 5 RB this year makes him worth it at this point. My other choice is Kevin Jones but he's much more of a short-term risk than Tiki. It depends on what my pick was in the first round, but if it was a risky pick like Bush then I'd take Tiki. However, if I already had Edge I'd probably go with KJ.
Tiki has a few things going in his favor:- He seems to take good care of himself

- For an older back, he hasn't logged many touches

Nevertheless, I think it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to these old guys. You never know when they're going to hit the wall, but they will eventually. When they do, their value plummets (see: Eddie George, Curtis Martin, Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, etc.).

I'm keeping this near the top, though I'm not sure when I'll put a new poll up. Close battle so far.

Wow, this is all over the map.

Westy's PPG is comparable to Rudi from last season. With no clear WR options for Philly aside from Reggie Brown, I'd lean on a big output from him again.

I can see strong cases for about 7 or 8 of these guys. Interesting.

Right now, Tiki is #41 in my dynasty rankings. That might be too high.
:eek: I understand, he's 31.

He only has 2300 touches for his career.

Edge is 28 (will be by pre-season) with over 2500 touches

Just my opinion, but I see Tiki with 2-3 years left, at a higher level than I can project the rest here to ever reach. BW comes close. an argument can be made for Deuce.

Either way, #41 is shockingly low.

If you believe a RB is going to play at a high level at 33 years of age, that would mean Kevin Jones would have 10 years still ahead of him. 10 years of RB production vs 2-3 years isnt even close.

I dont believe in 31yo RBs, but if you do, it makes the younger guys more valueable as well as the older ones. So either way, its way too soon to be putting your dynasty stock in Tiki.

If you believe a RB is going to play at a high level at 33 years of age, that would mean Kevin Jones would have 10 years still ahead of him. 10 years of RB production vs 2-3 years isnt even close.

I dont believe in 31yo RBs, but if you do, it makes the younger guys more valueable as well as the older ones. So either way, its way too soon to be putting your dynasty stock in Tiki.
Kevin Jones has never really played at a high level like Tiki, he had a half of a good year after being injured for the first half of the season. If there is a runningback to play at a high level at an over 30 age like Martin did two years ago it is Tiki. I think that 17 is too high for him at his age but I think he has one top year and one better than average left in him at least. The only problem with Tiki is you most likely wont be able to get value from him in terms of trade and eventually you will have to just cut him or trade him for a handcuff or something.Edit to add- I voted for Steve Smith because he is the only person I see on this list that Dominates a game an isn't over 30. I love Tory Holt but he doesn't dominate like Barber or TO and they are a little old for pick 17. You could make a case for Gates but I think that Shockey, maybe Verrnon Davis and if he ever gets his act together Kellen Windslow II could put up numbers close enough to Gates to drop down his value to late second or early third round.

Dynasty... I prefer Steve Smith to either Tiki (age) or Kevin Jones ( unproven).

This may have been a good spot for Carson Palmer had the injury not occured.

Might I suggest that within a couple of picks you put the top 10 player in alphabetical order to eliminate any bias?

As I feel the lazy voters are probably looking at the top 3-5 players in this poll and no further down.

I can't believe KJ is still getting as much love as he is. 11 more votes than Westbrook? If someone offered to trade me KJ for Westy I would break down laughing.

Kevin Jones has never really played at a high level like Tiki, he had a half of a good year after being injured for the first half of the season.
Half a good year in only two years he did play at a high level... he was one of the top 3 backs playing during that time period. Tiki, who has much more history, normally produces as an RB2. Just because Tiki is coming off a career year, doesnt mean he'll produce at that same level again any more than you could have expected Jones to produce last year at the same level he did for the second half of 2004. There are other plenty of RBs here who have produced averages simuliarly to Tiki has over his career. I know you arent supporting picking Tiki here. But seriously, why pick a 31yo RB2 here when you can have a 24yo RB2 or a 27yo RB2? That just isnt wise. I'd take every player listed and then quite a few more before Tiki.BTW, I've been picking Gates for several picks. I'm not really supporting Jones. Just stateing that the love for Tiki is illegit.

Kevin Jones has never really played at a high level like Tiki, he had a half of a good year after being injured for the first half of the season. If there is a runningback to play at a high level at an over 30 age like Martin did two years ago it is Tiki. I think that 17 is too high for him at his age but I think he has one top year and one better than average left in him at least. The only problem with Tiki is you most likely wont be able to get value from him in terms of trade and eventually you will have to just cut him or trade him for a handcuff or something.Edit to add- I voted for Steve Smith because he is the only person I see on this list that Dominates a game an isn't over 30. I love Tory Holt but he doesn't dominate like Barber or TO and they are a little old for pick 17. You could make a case for Gates but I think that Shockey, maybe Verrnon Davis and if he ever gets his act together Kellen Windslow II could put up numbers close enough to Gates to drop down his value to late second or early third round.
If you're down on KJ then you should be just as down on Steven Jackson:Jackson - 388 for 1719 yards (4.4 YPC), 12 TD, 62 receptions for 509 yards, 2 TD

Jones - 424 for 1797 yards (4.2 YPC), 10 TD, 48 receptions for 289 yards, 1 TD

I'm confused about the love for SJax, but the hate for KJ. If you dislike them both I'd understand but to consider SJax a top 10 pick but KJ not even in the top 20 is :confused:

[if you're down on KJ then you should be just as down on Steven Jackson:

Jackson - 388 for 1719 yards (4.4 YPC), 12 TD, 62 receptions for 509 yards, 2 TD

I'm confused about the love for SJax, but the hate for KJ. If you dislike them both I'd understand but to consider SJax a top 10 pick but KJ not even in the top 20 is
default_confused1.gif'
The fantasy bandwagon has always had a "what have you done for me lately" approach to their feelings for a player. Its the same situation over and over and over again all over any draft. Even the people who rationalize that mistake continue to make it. I take advantage of that sheep mentality and I'm sure you do too. That's all it is. A lack of wisdom and patience.

[if you're down on KJ then you should be just as down on Steven Jackson:

Jackson - 388 for 1719 yards (4.4 YPC), 12 TD, 62 receptions for 509 yards, 2 TD

I'm confused about the love for SJax, but the hate for KJ. If you dislike them both I'd understand but to consider SJax a top 10 pick but KJ not even in the top 20 is
default_confused1.gif'
The fantasy bandwagon has always had a "what have you done for me lately" approach to their feelings for a player. Its the same situation over and over and over again all over any draft. Even the people who rationalize that mistake continue to make it. I take advantage of that sheep mentality and I'm sure you do too. That's all it is. A lack of wisdom and patience.
This is a terrible, horrible arguement.Willis Mcgahee, Corey Dillon and Curtis Martin have outscored LaMont Jordan the last two years, does that mean they should have more value?

This is a terrible, horrible arguement.

Willis Mcgahee, Corey Dillon and Curtis Martin have outscored LaMont Jordan the last two years, does that mean they should have more value?
Its not my argument. I'm saying its foolish but its how the majority picks. Except that they dont even think two years back. Their feelings only go one season or less.As for your question, I definately consider McGahee more valueable. The other two definately not. That's just my opinion though. It has nothing to do with who has outscored who the past two years. I dont have that sheep mentality. Its the mentality of those picking Barber or labeling Jones a bust. Of which both I'm calling foolish.

If you're down on KJ then you should be just as down on Steven Jackson:Jackson - 388 for 1719 yards (4.4 YPC), 12 TD, 62 receptions for 509 yards, 2 TD

I'm confused about the love for SJax, but the hate for KJ. If you dislike them both I'd understand but to consider SJax a top 10 pick but KJ not even in the top 20 is :confused:
First I don't think I showed love for SJax, but if you want reasons for SJax you can start with he played better last year than the year before. His overall statistics are better per touch. The stituation in St. Louis is better than Detroit, more experience more consistancy from the group. Mike Martz is gone and he has had a track record the last few years to under use his runningbacks, even if he is a great offensive mind.I feel much more comfortable taking SJax over KJones for these reasons.

This is a terrible, horrible arguement.

Willis Mcgahee, Corey Dillon and Curtis Martin have outscored LaMont Jordan the last two years, does that mean they should have more value?
Its not my argument. I'm saying its foolish but its how the majority picks. Except that they dont even think two years back. Their feelings only go one season or less.As for your question, I definately consider McGahee more valueable. The other two definately not. That's just my opinion though. It has nothing to do with who has outscored who the past two years. I dont have that sheep mentality. Its the mentality of those picking Barber or labeling Jones a bust. Of which both I'm calling foolish.
I don't feel most people are calling Jones a bust, I am not calling Jones a bust. I am just saying that I would rather have a few players more than him. Why spend your second pick on a maybe. You can grab one of the 2-4 RB in the draft this year in the second or third or even fourth rounds if you just want a maybe. Why is Kevin Jones any more or less of a risk compaired to them. You can't make an arguement for Kevin Jones that is objective because he hasn't consistantly shown anything. Gado played great for half a season and he is young why aren't you valuing him in the same postition. Barber has proven for the last two years he is a ligit number one. he has proven he is a good number two, I think he can play for 2 more years at that level so why not take him over Jones who I don't even know if he will do anything next year and grab LenDale White in the third round. If the goal is to win every year. If you pick KJ in the second and he plays like a boarderline RB2 for 2 years and missing the playoffs and hoping that he can pick up his game better than taking Barber who is boarderline RB1 for two years and winning your league one of those years and finding your young guy a round or two later when you don't need him to produce to be competative?

Going to a 3-way runoff here, and putting up the next poll. Please suggest any players that you think should be added besides McNabb. I think I'll put the players in alphabetical order as suggested.

Links to runoff and next poll.

Users who are viewing this thread