What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the #21 player to own in a dynasty league?

• RB Cedric Benson, CHI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WR Anquan Boldin, ARI

• QB Tom Brady, NE

• WR Torry Holt, STL

• RB Julius Jones, DAL

• RB Jamal Lewis, BAL

• RB Deuce McAllister, NO

• QB Donovan McNabb, PHI

• WR Randy Moss, OAK

• WR Terrell Owens, DAL

• QB Carson Palmer, CIN

• RB Brian Westbrook, PHI

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter among the poll choices will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2. RB Larry Johnson, KC

3. RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

4. RB Clinton Portis, WAS

5. RB Steven Jackson, STL

6. RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

7. (Runoff) RB Cadillac Williams, TB

8. RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

9. (Runoff) RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

10. RB Willis McGahee, BUF

11. QB Peyton Manning, IND

12. (Runoff) RB DeAngelo Williams, NCAA

13. WR Larry Fitzgerald, ARI

14. RB Edgerrin James, ARI

15. WR Chad Johnson, CIN

16. RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

17. (Tie) WR Steve Smith, CAR

(Runoff) RB Tiki Barber, NYG

(Runoff) RB Kevin Jones, DET

20. TE Antonio Gates, SD

Who is the #21 player to have in a dynasty league? If you vote other please list the player. If you think someone else should be added next round let me know.

I will put the next poll up sometime tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the players in their likely order for the #17 runoff, but I won't finalize it until the next poll, so feel free to add your vote there as well.

IMO Chester Taylor should be there, espically if Benson is there

I see Chester as a top 15 rb this year his stock will rise the closer the season gets

Looks like I'm the only one, but with the way that the RBs have thinned out, I would consider Jamal Lewis here. The Ravens committed strongly to him this offseason, and I really don't think last year was indicative of his ability. He is still young enough to have 3 - 4 peak years left, and while he lacks upside due to his lack of use in the passing game, I do believe that he can post 1500+ total yards and 8+ TDs for the next few years. He seems safer than McCallister with the injury situation, and I think he is significantly more talented than is Julius Jones. Westbrook is a consideration, but in a non-PPR scoring system he is rikier than Lewis due to the amount of time that he has missed the past few years and the chance that Phily will bring in a power RB to split time and take the goal line carries. I'd be willing to gamble that one of the good WRs will be around later...

i have nothing to add here except that I traded my #9 pick in the rookie draft for jamal lewis a few weeks before mike anderson signed with the ravens. I still like the trade. Last year I had the 3, 4, and 5 picks and wound up with arrington, benson, and edwards. <_<

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Don't hear this wrong, I like Holt, but please make a case for him over Randy Moss.This year and into the future.
Durability
Ok, just keep in mind that in his 8 year career, Moss has missed 3 games. I know, he hasn't played the whole game a few times, and barely suited up in a couple as well.Holt missed 2 last year, the first time in his career.

We're not exactly talking about Davenport or David Boston here.

FWIW, Moss is younger too.

Went with Holt, but wouldn't fault someone for taking Moss.

Reasoning: Holt is only 8 months older and still plays for the team that made him a stud. Even with Martz leaving, the players and pieces are all still there for Holt to dominate for the next 3-5 years. I just don't know about Moss on the Raiders. That said, it's still nearly a 50/50 toss up between the two for me.

I could see a case for Duece or Palmer here as well.

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Don't hear this wrong, I like Holt, but please make a case for him over Randy Moss.This year and into the future.
Oz, every post I make, huh?Here you go:

Holt over the last three years averages 100+ catches 1300+ yds and 10+ TDs

He is the model of consistency. He is only 30 years old. He will have a coaching change. But, the new coach is an offensive mind who seems to have his WR1 do very well.

Moss has been nicked up a lot over the last couple of years. He has a coaching change, too. Shell is not near the offensive mind Childress is. In addition, I predict that the Raiders will be more of a running team.

Moss only has 2 of his 8 years with more than 100 catches. He is only a few months younger than Holt, so the age is not an issue. Moss has accumulated less than 1000 yards the last two years. If you want to use that Moss was nicked up for those 60 catches last year in 16 games, I do not know if that helps or hurts your argument.

Moss is a TD machine, especially in the past. But, I think it is a fair assumption that the Raiders with Shell as HC and Brooks as QB, his ceiling is much lower than when he accumulated the awesome numbers in Minny.

I still stand by Holt, and I do not think it is even close.

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Durability
Ok, just keep in mind that in his 8 year career, Moss has missed 3 games. I know, he hasn't played the whole game a few times, and barely suited up in a couple as well.Holt missed 2 last year, the first time in his career.

We're not exactly talking about Davenport or David Boston here.

FWIW, Moss is younger too.
OK. In two less games, even if you count Holt's missed games, why was his numbers SO MUCH better than Moss'?

OZ, I would like to hear why you think Moss' numbers will improve for the future. I think Holt's numbers are steady and will remain stable.

The last 2 years combined, Moss has 109 catches, 1700+ yds. This is what we USED to expect from him in one year, not two combined. I would like to hear how this is will change for the future. How will Moss get back into the WR status he was in Minny?

OZ, I would like to hear why you think Moss' numbers will improve for the future. I think Holt's numbers are steady and will remain stable.

The last 2 years combined, Moss has 109 catches, 1700+ yds. This is what we USED to expect from him in one year, not two combined. I would like to hear how this is will change for the future. How will Moss get back into the WR status he was in Minny?
I never said I see Moss improving on his stats from his Minnesota days. Do you really not see an improvement from last year?

Brooks >>>>> Collins, at least for stats.

But hey, I'm not going to try and convince anyone. I'm pursuing Moss in one league and hope his owner believes as you do.

Holt over Moss, IMHO.

Holt has consistently posted Pro Bowl numbers regardless of who's under center. Bulger, Warner, Martin, Fitzpatrick - Holt gets 100 yards and a TD more often than not.

Holt has also not been criticized for attitude, never "taken plays off", and has never played hurt without telling the team that maybe he'd be better off not playing.

OK.  In two less games, even if you count Holt's missed games, why was his numbers SO MUCH better than Moss'?
Collins
And Brooks will make his numbers twice what they were last year?
You want him to get 2010 yards and 16 TDs? :eek:
Those are close to the numbers Moss used to get. My point is that Moss has had two poor (for Moss and his ADP/value) years in a row. You still have not answered the question. Why do you think Moss' numbers will exceed Holt's?

OK. In two less games, even if you count Holt's missed games, why was his numbers SO MUCH better than Moss'?
Collins
And Brooks will make his numbers twice what they were last year?
You want him to get 2010 yards and 16 TDs? :eek:
Those are close to the numbers Moss used to get. My point is that Moss has had two poor (for Moss and his ADP/value) years in a row. You still have not answered the question. Why do you think Moss' numbers will exceed Holt's?
You do realize, I never said I think he will. I asked a question. IMO they're equal, and wanted to see why others consider Holt so much better.

I'll put up the next poll in a little bit. Feel free to vote in the runoff in the link in the second post as well.

Tough decision over Boldin vs. the older WR's Holt, Moss and Owens.

Holt vs. Moss, I have to go with Holt because of Moss' injury concerns and the QB issues in Oakland.

Owens will have a monster season in Dallas so he's very tempting.

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Durability
Ok, just keep in mind that in his 8 year career, Moss has missed 3 games. I know, he hasn't played the whole game a few times, and barely suited up in a couple as well.
fair enough but when he "mails it in" and gets 1-3 catches it sorely hurts your FF team that week. That drives me berzerk

OK.  In two less games, even if you count Holt's missed games, why was his numbers SO MUCH better than Moss'?
Collins
Nope.It's because Moss was hampered by his legs for at least 3 games.

If you remember, Moss was practically used as a decoy for the few games after his injury.

If they keep chucking the ball up to Moss in triple coverage (this is how he got hurt last year)... I don't see how he won't get injured once in awhile

Collins was not bad last year, though I do think Brooks will put up better #s.

That being said, we gotta think that Holt won't rack up those fat #s with Martz gone now.

It would be in the Rams best interest to run the ball more, and I think Linehan will trya little harder than Martz to get Jackson/Faulk 30+ carries a game.

All the WRs are close in my mind. Anyone can make an argument for Boldin, Owens, Holt and Moss here.

I'd go Holt, Moss, Owens, Boldin... but all very close.

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Durability
Ok, just keep in mind that in his 8 year career, Moss has missed 3 games. I know, he hasn't played the whole game a few times, and barely suited up in a couple as well.
fair enough but when he "mails it in" and gets 1-3 catches it sorely hurts your FF team that week. That drives me berzerk
I think saying that Moss only has missed 3 games in 8 years is a double-edged sword. If he is so durable, why the huge drop in production the last two years? If he is playing through injuries, you really cannot bench him and are left frustrated because of lack of production.

Holt, the guy is a STUD
Durability
I wouldn't say he mails it in. Moss is a tough player when it comes to playing hurt I think.

There is no doubt in my mind the Raiders asked him to be on teh field, even if he was a bit nicked. Having him on the field prevents double teams on Porter.

And even a 50% Moss is better than half the WRs in the league.

Collins

If you remember, Moss was practically used as a decoy for the few games after his injury.

If they keep chucking the ball up to Moss in triple coverage (this is how he got hurt last year)... I don't see how he won't get injured once in awhile

That being said, we gotta think that Holt won't rack up those fat #s with Martz gone now.

It would be in the Rams best interest to run the ball more, and I think Linehan will trya little harder than Martz to get Jackson/Faulk 30+ carries a game.

All the WRs are close in my mind. Anyone can make an argument for Boldin, Owens, Holt and Moss here.

Care to guess who was offensive coordinator in Minny during Moss' great tenure up there? Yes, you guessed it. Linehan. How about last year in Miami. Who was OC for Chambers' great year?

Okay, I guess I'll put up the next poll. I'll add Taylor as suggested; if anyone else needs to be added let me know now.

I think Chester Taylor is gonna surprise the hell out of a lot of people. I have him ahead of lot of the backs on this current list.

I love the direction Minny went in signing Hutch to a huge contract and spending less on a versatile RB. I don't think it's far fetched at all that Taylor is a Top 15 back this year and beyond.

If you're wondering where Moore fits in to the Vikings long term plans, go check out the new movie Finding Memo. They never find Memo.

I can easily see a healthy Taylor getting 1500+ total yards this year.

IMO Chester Taylor should be there, espically if Benson is there

I see Chester as a top 15 rb this year his stock will rise the closer the season gets
Didn't see this post here before I made my last post, but I agree with you 100%. IMHO You won't see Taylor go outside the Top 35 picks come preseason drafts.

Collins

Yeah, I know he was injured last year, still Collins did not help him. Culpepper, for all his faults, was exactly the QB Moss needed to perform at the high level. Brooks is more along the lines of Culpepper than Collins is.

It speaks volumes that Moss was always triple covered, but try doing that now with Lamont Jordan, Jerry Porter, and Ron Curry.

:yes: I have no issue with Holt being ahead of Moss in votes, I just wanted someone to give a good reason. We all know Linehan was the OC for Moss, but his RB was nowhere near the caliber of Stephen Jackson. The defense was worse than I personally see St. Louis being this year. (not to say they'll be in the elite, but better than Oakland's this year).

Add to that the fact that Oakland plays in arguably the highest scoring division in the NFL, and I will take Moss over Holt for this year and beyond. Again, not saying those voting Holt are neccessarily wrong, I was more looking to be convinced that I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread