What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Player Pickups for Future (1 Viewer)

Birdie048

Footballguy
So your season is not working out for you to be competitive... what are some WW/FA moves you could be looking at for next year as we head to the halfway point of the NFL season.  

My views are based on a 12 Team PPR 1 QB Dynasty with 25 Roster Spots / 2 IR spots / No Devy allocations

Not in any particular order / just listing them as I think of them...not listing any Rookies as they all take time to get acclimated.

1) Van Jefferson - talent in a high passing offense with Stafford & McVay making this work.  Problem is he is #3 on the team behind Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods are clearly #1 & #2 in the target/pecking order, but if either depart for whatever reason, Van gets a big bump in value/looks.  FA waiver investment?  I say worth 5% of the budget.

2) Josh Reynolds - went from LAR to Tenn, injured before season starts so Tenn picked up Julio Jones, but I wonder if Josh did not get injured, would Julio be in Tenn??  Tenn clearly needs a WR3 as the TE position is not evolving into a production position.  When players like Westbrook-Ikhine are getting 15 targets over a 3 game span, and only producing 109 yards, WR3 upgrade is needed.  Reynolds & Tanny worked well in camp without Julio around.  I think this could return in the next few weeks are Josh is now fully recovered from injury & illness both.

3) MyCole Pruit - another Tenn player, but with Firsker doing nothing with his starts (11 rec-15 targets for 95 yards / no different from Westbrook-Ikhine level of play) Pruit has 8 rec/10 targets for 105 yards shows more playmaking with less opportunity.  Tenn might want to give Hercules Henry a few games without 25+ touches to extend his long/playoff season and allow Tannehill more passing games.  Will Pruit continue to produce with few touches?  Who knows.  Tenn needs another pass catcher to challenge the tough Def like Buffalo.  Worth a small risk IMO. 

4) Derrius Guice - will he get any looks to sign?  Who knows.  Is it worth the PR headaches?  For a playoff caliber team, maybe for a short term usage.  As a cheap roster hold for future potential, I think he is worth a look as the injuries continue to decimate the RB core of teams (like Balt, NYG, SF, Phil & Clev).  FA $ spent - minimal only

5) Deonte Harris - Will Michael Thomas come back to play in NOS?  Harris was getting targets prior to injury (15 in 1st 4 games).  Now that Winston has taken hold of the QB slot, Harris could emerge as the clear WR1.  With the only limitation on Winston's Long Ball Short Leash, Harris is getting opportunities that could emerge as a decent flex spot.  FA/WW $ - 5% in most formats. 

Feel free to add / support / discuss options.  I did not want this as part of the Dynasty Value Discussion as it could be specific for players for future value / minimal risk now if your season is tanked! 

Just picked up Etienne in my deep keeper league. I knew someone would eventually, but being out of the title chase, did it earlier than planned.

Who knows if he’ll fully recover or if Urban will be there next year, but certainly worth a no-risk pickup. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This can be an exercise in futility.  It is uncommon for such speculative moves to pan out.  Sometimes, players are who we think they are...  basically, what you see is what you get. 

Of your list, Van Jefferson would meet my criteria as he plays in a high powered offense.  Guice would fall outside the criteria; with character issues, injury history and my fickle attention to RB age.  He is only 25 next season but that window is starting to shorten.

Mostly due to supply and demand, I don't target TE's unless its a 1st/2nd year situation and his role is expected to increase.

Other than WRs in high powered offenses, I target younger RBs a little bit down the depth chart.  This season, when Damien Williams was the hot pickup, I took on flyer on Khalil Herbert.  At the time, I considered it a preemptive, short term play.  However, I will hold for the long run and see how that situations plays out.

1) Van Jefferson - talent in a high passing offense with Stafford & McVay making this work.  Problem is he is #3 on the team behind Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods are clearly #1 & #2 in the target/pecking order, but if either depart for whatever reason, Van gets a big bump in value/looks.  FA waiver investment?  I say worth 5% of the budget.

This guy seems like a no brainer to me.  He looks good out there, and the Rams are pretty well known for moving on from guys that were thought to be a staple of their team and had contracts that would seemingly keep them around for a while, which could free up a starting spot for him. 

Wanted to add TE Phil Tyree Jackson. 

He was part of the reason Ertz was expendable.  Coming off IR and worked well in preseason. 

Users who are viewing this thread