What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Dan Campbell have kicked a FG in the 2nd Half of the NFCC? (1 Viewer)

Should Campbell have tried for a FG in the 2nd Half of the NFCC?

• Yes

Votes: 119 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 23.7%

• Total voters
Shanahan kicked on 4th and goal in OT and it cost them the game, but at least he didn’t give KC a momentum boost.

(Sorry, @Gally , couldn’t resist) :pokey:

I thought he should go for it. In that situation you needed a TD to put pressure on KC. A FG wasn't going to do anything. I have no issue with aggressiveness and that was a spot he should have been aggressive.

Shanahan kicked on 4th and goal in OT and it cost them the game, but at least he didn’t give KC a momentum boost.

Again, my entire argument has always been that game situation should be factored into the decision. Not that you should always kick or always go for it. Just that momentum should be one of the factors considered. Up to you how much it should matter.....but it should matter and the coaches that have a better feel for the game on how the game is going will make the better decisions.

Again, my entire argument has always been that game situation should be factored into the decision. Not that you should always kick or always go for it. Just that momentum should be one of the factors considered. Up to you how much it should matter.....but it should matter and the coaches that have a better feel for the game on how the game is going will make the better decisions.
OK, first of all I was 100% trolling you and not actually trying to start a substantive discussion. :stirspot:

But I agree with you that this is the mother of all "You need to consider other factors beyond what the numbers tell you" scenarios. I still haven't seen what the analytics recommend in that specific situation, but given all the permutations of OT, I would say that even if they said it was a 60/40 call to kick the FG, I'd still probably lean toward going for it.

I also agree with the point @Instinctive made in the other thread that it's not just the 4th down call. Niners needed to be aggressive for the entire drive (I'd have to look back at their specific play calls to know if there was anything I would have done differently.) In fact, you could argue he should have gathered the team together at the beginning of OT and told them, "We're going to take it down, do what it takes to score a TD, and seize control of this game!"

Gee, anyone know a coach who's good at delivering that type of message?

(Yes, that was more trolling)

OK, first of all I was 100% trolling you and not actually trying to start a substantive discussion. :stirspot:
I know. I just thought it was a good opportunity to show you I can be aggressive in my decision making too....hahahha
It's almost neither here nor there, but just struck me as a big credit to @Joe Bryant 's community building here that we've had what is a fairly heated discussion for a while now, and we're still down here at the end making call back jokes and both sides finding it funny. Pretty cool.

Just like DC did when he kicked the FG at the end of the first half. Game situation factored in.

Sounds like everyone is on the same page :-)

Users who are viewing this thread