What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Rank the top 15 rookie RB's (1 Viewer)

I think it's a flawed analysis. Those rankings are for college players. As far as I can tell they don't necessarily have anything to do with pro potential.

It reminds me of video games. I remember back when I used to play games that Woodrow Dantzler and Eric Crouch were two of the most highly-rated players in NCAA Football 2002. When I imported the draft class into Madden 2002, both guys were selected by the computer in the first round. I found it funny at the time because those guys were great college players, but very marginal pro prospects. The game didn't take that into account.

Likewise, someone like Darren Sproles may have been one of the top RBs in college football, but his skills don't translate to the NFL. The same goes for Frank Gore, Anthony Davis, and Derrick Knight. Great college players? Maybe. Great pro prospects? Hardly.
Good point but I believe it's just as flawed going back to draft lists with no commentary from last season. The above lists at least show the running backs were indeed well thought of while in college two years ago. I for one, when compiling draft rankings over the years (did it for a few seasons during the Tuff Sports days and the first year with Footballguys), never bothered to rank players NOT coming out and that is why the above links are flawed. Perhaps players iffy to come out last year at best were dropped down the rankings.Watching these backs play this year, they all have a solid opportunity to do well in the pros. Will all of them make it? No of course not, but I believe we will see a good many stick around to have productive careers. This season is a blending of talent that doesn't come around very often with good seniors mixing with talented underclassman.

Likewise, someone like Darren Sproles may have been one of the top RBs in college football, but his skills don't translate to the NFL
I disagree with Sproles. The dude ran against some of the best defenses in college and has all the skills to do well in the Pros. Will he carry the ball 20 times per game? No, he probably won't but he certainly has the skills to become a Warrick Dunn/Brian Westbrook type of player in the NFL and that can mean top 15 production to a fantasy roster. Sproles is small, but has strong legs, can turn on a dime and is almost impossible to see behind the line of scrimmage. He has a lot of Barry Sanders in him and his production is superb within a tough conference.4,769 rushing yards and 44 touchdowns in three seasons is awesome production and he has mad skillz. The only downfall is his size as he is a better pro prospect than Quentin Griffin was (in my opinion)

He is going to surprise folks who believe lack of height = no chance in the NFL :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess, but I think a lot of the underclassman talent is being overrated. Let's look at these guys more closely:Barber - I like him the most of the second tier backs, but he's not perfect. He's not much of a big play threat, he's not extremely elusive, and he doesn't catch a ton of passes. On the plus side, he has enough size (221 pounds) to carry the load and his 4.49 40 and 40 inch vertical leap suggest that he has the physical skills needed to make it as a pro. Fason - His size (6', 207 pounds) is more ideal for a WR than a RB. It would be easy to ignore that if he had blazing speed, but he turned in a marginal pair of forties. I still think he has decent potential, but he's an odd prospect from a physical standpoint. There's really no one like him in the NFL, which usually isn't a good sign. Morency - Morency had a monster season and was basically unstoppable. That's the good news. The bad news is that he ran in the 4.65 range in his workout and turned in a relatively pedestrian 33.5 inch vertical leap and two poor broad jumps at the combine. I'm a big believer in looking past the measurables, but it certainly appears that Morency only has marginal physical skills. Arrington - Arrington has good measurables and was very productive in college, but he didn't stand out at the Senior Bowl and there's really nothing exceptional about him. He should be a high pick and he may develop into a quality NFL starter, but he's not an obvious can't miss prospect. Shelton - Who was the last 245 pound back to become a solid fantasy starter? Jamal Lewis is the only one that comes to mind and he's two inches shorter than Shelton (height is a negative in RBs because it raises their center of gravity and generally hurts their lateral agility and quickness). Shelton is a nice player, but he's always been a committee back and he seems destined for that role at the next level. Moats - He has good measurables and is one of the better sleepers from this class, but he may not quite be special enough to be anything more than a nice backup and change of pace guy at the next level. He's a bit of a mystery due to his status as a small school guy. He stood out at the Shrine Game, but he didn't get a chance to show his stuff at the Senior Bowl. Clarett - He was fabulous in college, but it's hard to ignore the bad combine numbers. I think he has a chance, but right now he looks like a college player whose physical skills don't translate. If he can bounce back with a good private workout then he could restore some of my faith in him, but I have a hard time getting excited about a RB who I can beat in a foot race. McLendon - Like Clarett, McLendon was a standout in college. Also like Clarett, his 40 times were awful. It doesn't bother me if a guy runs a 4.65, but I start to worry when the number starts getting close to 4.8. That just doesn't cut it at the pro level. I think people forget how tough it is to become a good NFL RB. It takes a great college player to become a good NFL back. On top of that, the player in question must have the physical tools needed to make the transition. You can get by with bad quickness or sub par speed when you're playing against Iowa State, but it's not going to cut it when eleven of the greatest players in the world are trying to stop you. While a lot of this year's middle tier prospects are good, it's not as if any of them are amazing physical specimens with no serious question marks. Almost all of them are lacking something, whether it be size, speed, or quickness.

Maybe he can contribute, but I think it's unlikely that he'll ever become a star player. I generally only draft a guy if I think he can be top 5 at his position. I'm not sure if Sproles fits into that category. When I look for RBs I look for guys who fall into the 205-235 pound range. Why? Because an overwhelming majority of the NFL's top backs fall into that range. Function follows form. The further a player gets from the ideal size, the more exceptional he has to be in order to succeed. Every now and then you'll get a Barry Sanders or a Jerome Bettis, but those guys are very rare. The odds are against a given oversized or undersized player achieving that kind of success.

Maybe he can contribute, but I think it's unlikely that he'll ever become a star player. I generally only draft a guy if I think he can be top 5 at his position. I'm not sure if Sproles fits into that category.

When I look for RBs I look for guys who fall into the 205-235 pound range. Why? Because an overwhelming majority of the NFL's top backs fall into that range. Function follows form. The further a player gets from the ideal size, the more exceptional he has to be in order to succeed. Every now and then you'll get a Barry Sanders or a Jerome Bettis, but those guys are very rare. The odds are against a given oversized or undersized player achieving that kind of success.
Fair enough. The same things were said about Warrick Dunn and Brian Westbrook and I believe there are always exceptions to these rules Zach Thomas

Deion Branch

Warrick Dunn

Brian Westbrook

The odds may not be in their favor but that doesn't mean anything once they hit the pros. How many quarterbacks were taken due to the fact they are 6'5 with a cannon arm who couldn't do it and how many backs who fit the perfect specs of 5'11 and 220 pounds never amounted to anything in the pros. I like Sproles and believe he will surprise. I will be taking him in my Dynasty league if he falls to me at the bottom of round one.

I think people forget how tough it is to become a good NFL RB. It takes a great college player to become a good NFL back. On top of that, the player in question must have the physical tools needed to make the transition. You can get by with bad quickness or sub par speed when you're playing against Iowa State, but it's not going to cut it when eleven of the greatest players in the world are trying to stop you. While a lot of this year's middle tier prospects are good, it's not as if any of them are amazing physical specimens with no serious question marks. Almost all of them are lacking something, whether it be size, speed, or quickness.
Good point. I agree with you here. Most of those players are lacking in one area or another and none of them are guaranteed success at the NFL level. They do all bring something to the table as well though. Gotta love the Draft!

The only one I disagree with EBF is Clarrett. I don't even see him being drafted. He's now snuck into a pro-day at Youngstown State University. I believe it's Frye's pro-day.

When he walked out on the combines, many teams crossed his name off the list. IF he gets a shot, it will be as a FA and probably have to work his way up in the organization. I don't see it - this kid doesn't have the heart or the determination to preserve.

One you left out is Gore. This kid does have alot of heart & determination plus one heck of a work ethic. He's definitely a second day pick, probably 6th or 7th round. But if his kness are healthy, he's one to watch out for.

You can get by with bad quickness or sub par speed when you're playing against Iowa State, but it's not going to cut it when eleven of the greatest players in the world are trying to stop you. While a lot of this year's middle tier prospects are good, it's not as if any of them are amazing physical specimens with no serious question marks. Almost all of them are lacking something, whether it be size, speed, or quickness.

---

Thanks... :hot:

Unfortunately true... :X

Maybe he can contribute, but I think it's unlikely that he'll ever become a star player. I generally only draft a guy if I think he can be top 5 at his position. I'm not sure if Sproles fits into that category.

When I look for RBs I look for guys who fall into the 205-235 pound range. Why? Because an overwhelming majority of the NFL's top backs fall into that range. Function follows form. The further a player gets from the ideal size, the more exceptional he has to be in order to succeed. Every now and then you'll get a Barry Sanders or a Jerome Bettis, but those guys are very rare. The odds are against a given oversized or undersized player achieving that kind of success.
Fair enough. The same things were said about Warrick Dunn and Brian Westbrook and I believe there are always exceptions to these rules Zach Thomas

Deion Branch

Warrick Dunn

Brian Westbrook

The odds may not be in their favor but that doesn't mean anything once they hit the pros. How many quarterbacks were taken due to the fact they are 6'5 with a cannon arm who couldn't do it and how many backs who fit the perfect specs of 5'11 and 220 pounds never amounted to anything in the pros. I like Sproles and believe he will surprise. I will be taking him in my Dynasty league if he falls to me at the bottom of round one.
There are always exceptions and each position is different. Quarterback is a much more complex position than RB. There are many different approaches to the position that lead to success. As a result, there's a tremendous amount of variety in the body types of successful QBs. Running back is not a complex position. It boils down to a few basic traits: vision, speed, power, and quickness. The latter three categories are almost purely physical, which is why so many RBs have very similar heights and weights. It's also why players who lack the ideal physical measurables rarely succeed at RB. No amount of intelligence or film studying can replace the inherent ability to make people miss and cut on a dime. Because only certain body types can produce this ability in conjunction with other necessary ingredients (power), you see relatively little variance in successful RB size.

It's no coincidence that there are more QB draft busts than RB draft busts. One position is very complex, drawing on a number of physical and mental skills. The other is relatively simple, drawing almost purely on physical skills and natural ability. This is also why it's much more common to see RBs make an immediate impact compared with most of the other positions. There's really no learning curve. The guy either has the physical skills or doesn't.

You can get by with bad quickness or sub par speed when you're playing against Iowa State, but it's not going to cut it when eleven of the greatest players in the world are trying to stop you. While a lot of this year's middle tier prospects are good, it's not as if any of them are amazing physical specimens with no serious question marks. Almost all of them are lacking something, whether it be size, speed, or quickness.

---

Thanks... :hot:

Unfortunately true... :X
I know you're kidding, but I was just trying to make a point. Every NFL team is a murderer's row of college football players. Realize that guys like Peter Warrick, Ron Dayne, and Ryan Leaf were utterly dominant in college. Put them against 11 other world class athletes and suddenly things become much harder. That's why it takes a special player to dominate in the NFL. Every player in the NFL is an all star caliber NCAA talent and one of the very best in the world at what he does.

---

Thanks...  :hot:

Unfortunately true...  :X
I know you're kidding, but I was just trying to make a point. Every NFL team is a murderer's row of college football players. Realize that guys like Peter Warrick, Ron Dayne, and Ryan Leaf were utterly dominant in college. Put them against 11 other world class athletes and suddenly things become much harder. That's why it takes a special player to dominate in the NFL. Every player in the NFL is an all star caliber NCAA talent and one of the very best in the world at what he does.
I totally agree - I just wish you would have used Baylor as your whipping post example.

---

Thanks...  :hot:

I love this reply and the original post.COLLEGE SUCCESS DOES NOT EQUAL NFL SUCCESS!

Everyone in this thread may have their personal favorites other than the big 3, whether it be Moats, Fason (my sleeper), McClendon, Morency, etc. What gets me pounding my head against the wall is the 15-deep RB lists and the claims that the guy ranked at #12 is the next Warrick Dunn. If a guy on your list is the next Dunn, he should be in your top 3!

I loved the "upside - Brian Westbrook, downside - Warrick Dunn" post. Funny!

Chris, you did notice that the top three prospects from this year, Benson, Williams and Brown (who are the driving force behind the "miraculous" strength and depth of this year's class) are all significantly lower on your lists than either Jackson or Jones from last year right? If you want to rely on Sproles and Clarrett to support the argument that this is an amazing RB draft class, you are in trouble.Those lists, while "college" oriented and not "pro" oriented are yet another indicator to me that this class is way overhyped.Which reminds me of something I meant to discuss earlier.Going forward from 2003/2004 to the 2005 draft, what have the "big three" shown that they hadn't shown before? Not much.Benson did the same things this year that he has been doing all three previous years. Now, those things are impressive, but it's not like he showed something in 2004 that he hadn't shown before when he was ranked way below Jackson and Jones last year.Same thing with Cadillac and Brown, more of the same. Now the combine performances were impressive and that certainly helped their stock to some degree, but the point is that these are basically the same guys with the same resumes as they were when they were ranked lower than the cream of the 2004 class.Other than the simple fact that this is a very weak overall draft class, I just can't understand the perception that these guys are all of the sudden the best prospects the NFL has seen in "recent memory", with claims that all three are far and away better than their peers from previous years.

---

Thanks...   :hot:

I love this reply and the original post.COLLEGE SUCCESS DOES NOT EQUAL NFL SUCCESS!

Everyone in this thread may have their personal favorites other than the big 3, whether it be Moats, Fason (my sleeper), McClendon, Morency, etc. What gets me pounding my head against the wall is the 15-deep RB lists and the claims that the guy ranked at #12 is the next Warrick Dunn. If a guy on your list is the next Dunn, he should be in your top 3!

it was upside- tiki barber ;) and thanks to barry jive for clarifying that my upside/downside was based on things working out for arrington. im not going to put the downside as curtis enis for every rookie RB because that adds nothing to the discussion.

you laugh now, but if arrington doesnt suffer severe injuries or a mental breakdown, i would say there's a 75% chance he'll be the change of pace guy in an RBBC at worst for a good part of his career

on college success "equalling" NFL success:

college success does not equal NFL success, sure. there's no guarantees in the NFL. Its not like defenders see a heisman winner and say, "oh, didnt realize it was you, go ahead, ill tackle the guy who was mediocre in college on the next play instead". But college performance is still one of the two best indicators of NFL success along with measureables, and i see a lot more busts who were workout warriors than ones who were dominant college players with less than ideal measureables

i think there is some merit to the "there wont be enough jobs to go around" argument. but the "you cant predict success based on college performance" argument is just bunk. if that was the case we could never predict success for anyone. I agree that you have to break it down. you can look and see which teams players went off against. which were able to shut them down. were teams able to stop them when they gameplanned specifically for them? did injuries hold them back? wimbush dominated in college, but it was at the DII level. im not gonna spend higher than the 50th pick or so on him in a dynasty rookie draft, and im sure no NFL GM will spend higher than a 5th rounder, if spend a pick at all. You have to discount his performance because it was against lesser competition. but when a guy performs the way willis mcgahee did in his one shining season, i think its pretty safe to say, that performance will translate to the pros.

im rambling, but i see some BS arguments being thrown around here. college performance is one of the only things we have to go on. a good college career does not guarantee success, but its a helluva start on the way. team staff members are poring over game film from all of the 2005 draft-eligible players' college careers as we speak- college success is the most meaningful piece of information we can have about a player.

Good point but I believe it's just as flawed going back to draft lists with no commentary from last season. The above lists at least show the running backs were indeed well thought of while in college two years ago. I for one, when compiling draft rankings over the years (did it for a few seasons during the Tuff Sports days and the first year with Footballguys), never bothered to rank players NOT coming out and that is why the above links are flawed. Perhaps players iffy to come out last year at best were dropped down the rankings.
At the time those lists were compiled, Jackson and Jones were just as "iffy" as Williams/Brown. For the 100th time, all four were juniors.If the rankings from the sites I provided are flawed (and they probably are seriously flawed in a lot of ways) it was NOT because Williams was "iffy". As for Brown, nobody much cared whether he was coming out or not as it concerned the top of the rankings.

It's interesting how you can provide SOLID evidence for the prevailing views a year or two ago and people still want to discount it because they just don't want to believe it.

Those lists DO NOT indicate that Jackson and Jones are better backs than Benson, Williams and Brown. But they most certainly do lend some insight into which backs people THOUGHT were best at that time. That's waht I've been yelling about all off-season and it's frustrating because everyone believes what they want to believe regardless of the evidence.

You can make very good arguments that the 2005 backs are better than previous years' classes, but continuing to use misconceptions ain't the way to go about it.

When ranked together in years past, Jackson and Jones were viewed as superior backs - it's really hard to deny that fact. If you want to make your case, you are just going to have to come up with evidence that the 2005 class has shown something significant in the last year, or that the 2004, 2002 2001 classes etc were all over-rated, or something else to that effect.

Can't we just look at the big 3's draft ratings?? Someone recently provided a list of draft ratings of all the backs in recent history - Ricky Williams topped it, Edge was at #2, and Sjax was at #3. Where do this year's big 3 fall in that ranking??

Edited to add the list I refer to:

Running Backs

Code:
1	Ricky Williams	Texas	7.15	19992	Edgerrin James	Miami (Fla.)	7	19991	Jackson, Steven  Oregon State  6.65	20042	Jones, Kevin  Virginia Tech  6.5	20041	Thomas Jones	Virginia	6.4	20002	Jamal Lewis	Tennessee	6.3	20001	Tomlinson, LaDainian	Texas Christian	6.25	20013	Ron Dayne	Wisconsin	6.15	20001	Larry Johnson	Penn State	6.15	20034	Shaun Alexander	Alabama	6.1	20001	Duckett, T.J.	Michigan State	6.1	20022	Lee Suggs	Virginia Tech	6.1	20033	Jones, Greg  Florida State  6.1	20042	McAllister, Deuce	Mississippi	6.05	20012	Green, William	Boston College	6.05	20023	Willis McGahee  Miami (Fla.)	6.05	20033	Foster, DeShaun	UCLA	6.01	20024	Portis,Clinton	Miami (Fla.)	6.01	20023	Bennett, Michael	Wisconsin	6	20014	Perry, Chris  Michigan  5.95	20044	Chris Brown  Colorado	5.9	20035	Onterrio Smith	Oregon	5.9	20036	Musa Smith	Georgia	5.8	2003

Chris, you did notice that the top three prospects from this year, Benson, Williams and Brown (who are the driving force behind the "miraculous" strength and depth of this year's class) are all significantly lower on your lists than either Jackson or Jones from last year right? If you want to rely on Sproles and Clarrett to support the argument that this is an amazing RB draft class, you are in trouble.

Those lists, while "college" oriented and not "pro" oriented are yet another indicator to me that this class is way overhyped.

Which reminds me of something I meant to discuss earlier.

Going forward from 2003/2004 to the 2005 draft, what have the "big three" shown that they hadn't shown before? Not much.

Benson did the same things this year that he has been doing all three previous years. Now, those things are impressive, but it's not like he showed something in 2004 that he hadn't shown before when he was ranked way below Jackson and Jones last year.

Same thing with Cadillac and Brown, more of the same. Now the combine performances were impressive and that certainly helped their stock to some degree, but the point is that these are basically the same guys with the same resumes as they were when they were ranked lower than the cream of the 2004 class.

Other than the simple fact that this is a very weak overall draft class, I just can't understand the perception that these guys are all of the sudden the best prospects the NFL has seen in "recent memory", with claims that all three are far and away better than their peers from previous years.
none of this class is an LT, edge, or ricky. no single guy of the big 3 stands out the way those guys did in their draft class. but thats not what is impressive about it. at least 8 have a good shot to stick as a feature back at some point. i cant remember another class with that many solid RB prospects. no one is saying that every single guy in this class will make it. but if you assume that the rate of RBs being busts stays the same for this class as it has been in the past, then this class will produce more productive RBs than any in recent memory. its actually pretty simple.

look, ill lay it out as simple as i can:in 2008, look at all the RB draft classes from 1995-2005. count how many RBs ended up being solid NFL contributors by the end of their 3rd year (at least a member of an RBBC). i would guarantee that this draft is in the top 2, and i would say its at least 50/50 that its #1.

Good point but I believe it's just as flawed going back to draft lists with no commentary from last season.  The above lists at least show the running backs were indeed well thought of while in college two years ago.  I for one, when compiling draft rankings over the years (did it for a few seasons during the Tuff Sports days and the first year with Footballguys), never bothered to rank players NOT coming out and that is why the above links are flawed.  Perhaps players iffy to come out last year at best were dropped down the rankings.
At the time those lists were compiled, Jackson and Jones were just as "iffy" as Williams/Brown. For the 100th time, all four were juniors.If the rankings from the sites I provided are flawed (and they probably are seriously flawed in a lot of ways) it was NOT because Williams was "iffy". As for Brown, nobody much cared whether he was coming out or not as it concerned the top of the rankings.

It's interesting how you can provide SOLID evidence for the prevailing views a year or two ago and people still want to discount it because they just don't want to believe it.

Those lists DO NOT indicate that Jackson and Jones are better backs than Benson, Williams and Brown. But they most certainly do lend some insight into which backs people THOUGHT were best at that time. That's waht I've been yelling about all off-season and it's frustrating because everyone believes what they want to believe regardless of the evidence.

You can make very good arguments that the 2005 backs are better than previous years' classes, but continuing to use misconceptions ain't the way to go about it.

When ranked together in years past, Jackson and Jones were viewed as superior backs - it's really hard to deny that fact. If you want to make your case, you are just going to have to come up with evidence that the 2005 class has shown something significant in the last year, or that the 2004, 2002 2001 classes etc were all over-rated, or something else to that effect.
the significant thing about the 2005 class is that 5 of the top 10 (and possibly top 7 or 8) junior RBs came out.

Good point but I believe it's just as flawed going back to draft lists with no commentary from last season.  The above lists at least show the running backs were indeed well thought of while in college two years ago.  I for one, when compiling draft rankings over the years (did it for a few seasons during the Tuff Sports days and the first year with Footballguys), never bothered to rank players NOT coming out and that is why the above links are flawed.  Perhaps players iffy to come out last year at best were dropped down the rankings.

Hold on a sec. I, and nobody else said Benson, Williams and Brown are definitely stronger than Jackson and Jones (both of whom I loved last year and still do). The point being made is the depth of this RB depth is greater than it's ever been. There are a lot of players who have a good shot at contributing in 2005 and beyond. More so than a typical draft.

Chris, you did notice that the top three prospects from this year, Benson, Williams and Brown (who are the driving force behind the "miraculous" strength and depth of this year's class) are all significantly lower on your lists than either Jackson or Jones from last year right?  If you want to rely on Sproles and Clarrett to support the argument that this is an amazing RB draft class, you are in trouble.

Those lists, while "college" oriented and not "pro" oriented are yet another indicator to me that this class is way overhyped.

Which reminds me of something I meant to discuss earlier.

Going forward from 2003/2004 to the 2005 draft, what have the "big three" shown that they hadn't shown before?  Not much.

Benson did the same things this year that he has been doing all three previous years.  Now, those things are impressive, but it's not like he showed something in 2004 that he hadn't shown before when he was ranked way below Jackson and Jones last year.

Same thing with Cadillac and Brown, more of the same.  Now the combine performances were impressive and that certainly helped their stock to some degree, but the point is that these are basically the same guys with the same resumes as they were when they were ranked lower than the cream of the 2004 class.

Other than the simple fact that this is a very weak overall draft class, I just can't understand the perception that these guys are all of the sudden the best prospects the NFL has seen in "recent memory", with claims that all three are far and away better than their peers from previous years.
none of this class is an LT, edge, or ricky. no single guy of the big 3 stands out the way those guys did in their draft class. but thats not what is impressive about it. at least 8 have a good shot to stick as a feature back at some point. i cant remember another class with that many solid RB prospects. no one is saying that every single guy in this class will make it. but if you assume that the rate of RBs being busts stays the same for this class as it has been in the past, then this class will produce more productive RBs than any in recent memory. its actually pretty simple.
:Good Posting:

---

it was upside- tiki barber ;) and thanks to barry jive for clarifying that my upside/downside was based on things working out for arrington. im not going to put the downside as curtis enis for every rookie RB because that adds nothing to the discussion.

you laugh now, but if arrington doesnt suffer severe injuries or a mental breakdown, i would say there's a 75% chance he'll be the change of pace guy in an RBBC at worst for a good part of his career

college success does not equal NFL success, sure. there's no guarantees in the NFL. Its not like defenders see a heisman winner and say, "oh, didnt realize it was you, go ahead, ill tackle the guy who was mediocre in college on the next play instead". But college performance is still one of the two best indicators of NFL success along with measureables, and i see a lot more busts who were workout warriors than ones who were dominant college players with less than ideal measureables

i think there is some merit to the "there wont be enough jobs to go around" argument. but the "you cant predict success based on college performance" argument is just bunk. if that was the case we could never predict success for anyone. I agree that you have to break it down. you can look and see which teams players went off against. which were able to shut them down. were teams able to stop them when they gameplanned specifically for them? did injuries hold them back? wimbush dominated in college, but it was at the DII level. im not gonna spend higher than the 50th pick or so on him in a dynasty rookie draft, and im sure no NFL GM will spend higher than a 5th rounder, if spend a pick at all. You have to discount his performance because it was against lesser competition. but when a guy performs the way willis mcgahee did in his one shining season, i think its pretty safe to say, that performance will translate to the pros.

im rambling, but i see some BS arguments being thrown around here. college performance is one of the only things we have to go on. a good college career does not guarantee success, but its a helluva start on the way. team staff members are poring over game film from all of the 2005 draft-eligible players' college careers as we speak- college success is the most meaningful piece of information we can have about a player.
"a good college career does not guarantee success, but its a helluva start on the way."This the heart of the matter here. I agree that a good college career tips the scales when deciding whom to draft, but some guys in this thread are saying it's guaranteed that running back X will succeed simply because he beat up on college opponents.

It just ain't that easy! Jumping to the pro's is like me dominating softball in my beer league and expectingthat success to translate when I join the pro-softball circuit. I'm exaggerating slightly but I think you all get the point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A poor draft class??????????? :shock:

---

"a good college career does not guarantee success, but its a helluva start on the way."This the heart of the matter here. I agree that a good college career tips the scales when deciding whom to draft, but some guys in this thread are saying it's guaranteed that running back X will succeed simply because he beat up on college opponents.

It just ain't that easy! Jumping to the pro's is like me dominating softball in my beer league and expectingthat success to translate when I join the pro-softball circuit. I'm exaggerating slightly but I think you all get the point.
im sorry if i gave the impression that i am guaranteeing anything. i like exaggerate when im excited, to the point of being BS. my post about arrington may have implied some guarantee, and everyone was right to call BS. that being said, when you look at performance+mesaurables for the top 8-10 in this class, they all project to be at worst RBBC members as long as they continue on their current development path. also there are another 5-10 "if this question is answered, this guy can be good" RBs in this class. i think both of these are much greater than a typical class.

again: IF whatever percentage of the solid prospects that made it in past classes will make it in this one, and whatever percentage of the "question mark" guys that panned out in past classes pan out in this one, then the 2005 RB class will produce more solid NFL RBs (in fantasy and real terms) than any class in the last 10 years.

the only way this class is overhyped is if it has a higher percentage of total busts than past classes.

Hold on a sec. I, and nobody else said Benson, Williams and Brown are definitely stronger than Jackson and Jones (both of whom I loved last year and still do). The point being made is the depth of this RB depth is greater than it's ever been. There are a lot of players who have a good shot at contributing in 2005 and beyond. More so than a typical draft.
Actually, quite a few people have said and continue to say that. If you didn't say it or imply it, that's cool.I've agreed that this year's depth is nice, but it's not amazing or anything, it's just nice.

Folks keep pointing to guys as amazing depth whose prospects really aren't any better than 2nd tier backs' from any other year.

We've got:

Benson/Williams/Brown - nce group at the top

---

then the rest:

Fason/Barber/Morency/McClendon/Shelton/Moats/Sproles/Clarrett and maybe a few more here or there.

That second tier has a lot of guys in it (a few more than other years maybe), but NONE of them are the sure-shots that people in this thread are making them out to be.

They are no better than Tatum Bell, Julius Jones, Greg Jones, Mewelde Moore, Cedric Cobbs, Michael Turner etc. In fact, they may well turn out to be a lot worse.

In 2003 three you had Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Fargas, Pinner, Dom Davis, Ont Smith, Lee Suggs, Q-dog in the "second tier". Those guys are just as good as the 2005 second tier and again, very possibly better.

In 2002, the second tier would have been Portis, Betts, Gordon, Westbrook, Wells, Davenport. Not really all that bad either (Portis was a borderline 2nd tier guy).

2001 2nd tier was A train, Lamont Jordan, Travis Henry, James Jackson, Barlow, Rudi Johnson, Buckhalter, Blaylock. That's 5 guys who are or were once good starters in the NFL and a couple of other decent backups.

Sproles is 5'6". Enough said.

Harris looks decent, not great. Relatively weak pro-day.

Moats is not big, not all that fast. Some potential, but nothing too exciting. Lots of people disagree though.

Morency just ran 4.7s at his pro-day at 212 pounds. He's 25 years old.

Fason was also clocked over 4.6 to go with other pedestrian measurables (tall and thin).

Barber is hard to judge. Definitely has talent, but hasn't worked out yet (didn't run at combine). Has had mediocre college career.

Davis is another smurf.

Gore, sadly, is probably done. The knees just aren't there.

Shelton is intriguing, but obviously has a fair amount of risk associated with him.

Clarrett is what he is. Most here (and probably the NFL) have given up on him.

There IS some talent on that list, and I am obviously slanting the "analysis" toward the negatives. But that group frankly just doesn't blow me away like it does a lot of others around here.

So where is the amazing difference in depth? Again, I grant you that it is slightly better than average in terms of sheer numbers that have a CHANCE to be real NFL players, but other than that, they aren't any better than any other years' guys, and the quality of them may in fact be a little worse now that I look at it.

i think youre putting too much stock in slower than expected 40 times. kevin jones also ran much slower than anyone expected last year. fason's time was on a slow, wet track. morency, i am sold on from watchin game play. there were points in games last year when every single person in the stadium knew morency was getting the ball and he still couldnt be stopped. he looked better in college than bell did if you ask me. the 25 issue just means his ceiling is very good instead of outstanding.moats is 2nd to only caddy for vision/cutting/instinct. i have a feeling he will be a RBBC at worst.barber looks like another travis henry to me.sproles is a role player, i agree there.harris and shelton are projects/power backs, i agree there.you didnt even mention arrington, who some think is the best of the 2nd tier, or houston, who has has the tools to succeed in the NFL, but just hasnt put it together.when you add in the big 3, thats 12 backs i've named so far - i havent even mentioned gore, clarett, reyes, davis, herron, grant, nash, broughton - all guys who have at least a shot at panning out.look at a typical RB class. once you get to 3-5, you run out of guys who project to be solid NFL feature backs. this year i would say that tier goes to 6-8. one you get to 8-10, you run out of guys who at least have a 50/50 shot of being a primary RBBC back. this year that tier goes to 12. once you get to 12-15 in a typical class, the dropoff is huge - very marginal prospects. this year that drop doesnt happen til about 20.the class is deep. im not sure how this is debatable. a guy with X measureables/performance is very likely to rank lower in this class than he would have in another recent class.

Barber is hard to judge. Definitely has talent, but hasn't worked out yet (didn't run at combine). Has had mediocre college career.
I agree with many of your assessments, but this one is wrong. Barber already worked out and ran a 4.49. I'd also contend that his college career was not mediocre. Saying he had a mediocre college career is like saying Cadillac Williams had a mediocre college career. Yea, he split carries, but he was still great. Barber rushed for 1,150+ yards for two straight years at a very impressive YPC. It's not his fault that he had to share time with a future first round pick.

look at a typical RB class. once you get to 3-5, you run out of guys who project to be solid NFL feature backs. this year i would say that tier goes to 6-8. one you get to 8-10, you run out of guys who at least have a 50/50 shot of being a primary RBBC back.
I think you overestimate the talent of this group. Look at last year's class:Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson, Julius Jones, Chris Perry, and Tatum Bell make five guys who arguably projected out to be solid NFL feature backs at this time last year. Then you had guys like Greg Jones, Cedric Cobbs, Mewelde Moore, and Michael Turner. Those guys were, in my opinion, not significantly less promising than the #4-8 guys this year. They were all (except Jones) major stars in college with at least one or two big question marks. I see guys like Arrington, Moats, Morency, and Fason as falling into that same rough category. They're solid, but not surefire players and not any better than recent mid round guys like Chris Brown, Lee Suggs, Musa Smith, Justin Fargas, and Onterrio Smith.

i think youre putting too much stock in slower than expected 40 times. kevin jones also ran much slower than anyone expected last year.

fason's time was on a slow, wet track.

morency, i am sold on from watchin game play. there were points in games last year when every single person in the stadium knew morency was getting the ball and he still couldnt be stopped. he looked better in college than bell did if you ask me. the 25 issue just means his ceiling is very good instead of outstanding.

moats is 2nd to only caddy for vision/cutting/instinct. i have a feeling he will be a RBBC at worst.

barber looks like another travis henry to me.

sproles is a role player, i agree there.

harris and shelton are projects/power backs, i agree there.

you didnt even mention arrington, who some think is the best of the 2nd tier, or houston, who has has the tools to succeed in the NFL, but just hasnt put it together.

when you add in the big 3, thats 12 backs i've named so far - i havent even mentioned gore, clarett, reyes, davis, herron, grant, nash, broughton - all guys who have at least a shot at panning out.

look at a typical RB class. once you get to 3-5, you run out of guys who project to be solid NFL feature backs. this year i would say that tier goes to 6-8. one you get to 8-10, you run out of guys who at least have a 50/50 shot of being a primary RBBC back. this year that tier goes to 12. once you get to 12-15 in a typical class, the dropoff is huge - very marginal prospects. this year that drop doesnt happen til about 20.

the class is deep. im not sure how this is debatable. a guy with X measureables/performance is very likely to rank lower in this class than he would have in another recent class.
If you truly believe there are 20 RBs in this class before a significant dropoff in talent, there is nothing I can say that will convince you that this is not the best RB draft class ever. Personally, I think you are off of your rocker. Time will tell.

Barber is hard to judge.  Definitely has talent, but hasn't worked out yet (didn't run at combine).  Has had mediocre college career.
I agree with many of your assessments, but this one is wrong. Barber already worked out and ran a 4.49. I'd also contend that his college career was not mediocre. Saying he had a mediocre college career is like saying Cadillac Williams had a mediocre college career. Yea, he split carries, but he was still great. Barber rushed for 1,150+ yards for two straight years at a very impressive YPC. It's not his fault that he had to share time with a future first round pick.
I stand corrected. Way to "out" the one guy I'm trying to keep quiet. :cry: You are right about the medicore comment - it is more just an indication that he hasn't racked up numbers like some of the other guys (again, as you say, much like Williams).

If you truly believe there are 20 RBs in this class before a significant dropoff in talent, there is nothing I can say that will convince you that this is not the best RB draft class ever. Personally, I think you are off of your rocker. Time will tell.
i guess we need to define "significant dropoff". i consider the significant dropoff to happen where we get to the guys that will have trouble sticking on an NFL roster without some huge improvement. this year that doesnt happen until the 20s. most years, its before the 20s.i am off my rocker, but it has nothing to do with the 2005 rookie rb class.

look at a typical RB class. once you get to 3-5, you run out of guys who project to be solid NFL feature backs. this year i would say that tier goes to 6-8. one you get to 8-10, you run out of guys who at least have a 50/50 shot of being a primary RBBC back.
I think you overestimate the talent of this group. Look at last year's class:Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson, Julius Jones, Chris Perry, and Tatum Bell make five guys who arguably projected out to be solid NFL feature backs at this time last year. Then you had guys like Greg Jones, Cedric Cobbs, Mewelde Moore, and Michael Turner. Those guys were, in my opinion, not significantly less promising than the #4-8 guys this year. They were all (except Jones) major stars in college with at least one or two big question marks. I see guys like Arrington, Moats, Morency, and Fason as falling into that same rough category. They're solid, but not surefire players and not any better than recent mid round guys like Chris Brown, Lee Suggs, Musa Smith, Justin Fargas, and Onterrio Smith.
ok lets take top 5s: jones/jackson/jones/perry/bell vs. brown/benson/caddy/morency/barber

ill agree thats a draw.

how about the 2nd tier:

greg jones - both shelton and harris are very close to jones.

cedric cobbs - i would say both fason and houston are better prospects than cobbs.

mewelde moore - moats, arrington, and sproles are all more talented than moore among the "small back" group

michael turner - turner is one of my favorites, ill admit. i have a feeling he was seriously underrated in last years draft. im not sure who compares to him in this years draft.

2 power/speed backs vs 1 last year

2 SEC NFL type RBs vs 1 last year

3 smaller versatile backs vs 1 last year

and again, we havent even gotten to the interesting risks like gore/clarett/reyes/davis/nash/wimbush...

I hear what you're saying Bloom, about these 2nd tier guys having real NFL talents, and that they may very well wind up being RBBC guys... but from a fantasy perspective, I want no part of any RBBC running back.Maybe in the 3rd or 4th round of a rookie dynasty draft, where handcuffs and long-shots start to go, but not before.I see Brown, Williams, Benson, Fason (IMHO) and maybe Clarett as the only 1st round-worthy RBs (in a rookie-only dynasty format).Side Bar: Before I get jumped all over... I personally wouldn't touch Clarett with a ten-foot pole in the first round, but I can guarantee that someone in my leagues will. :no:

To be fair, Greg Jones, Cedric Cobbs, & Turner the Burner all have stud RBs at the number one position in front of them. Thier 2004 production is not a knock to their talent but a result of their sitaution. Given the opportunity, I think these guys could and will be effective RBs. It probably helped their careers to learn about playing in the NFL by watching a season.Moore did get a shot and did okay. Comparing them to Musa Smith is about right.

As far as this year's class, again it will depend on the opportunity given. If they happen to be sitting behind Ahman Green, for example, it might be awhile before we really see wht they can do. However, if they get drafted into say AZ, then theire opporunity drastically improves.

Btw, Fargas and Smith did have opportunities, but for whatever reason, they did not make the most of it.

Let's look at the last 5 drafts:

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 5 Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee

1 7 Thomas Jones RB Virginia

1 11 Ron Dayne RB Wisconsin

1 19 Shaun Alexander RB Alabama

1 31 Trung Canidate RB Arizona

3 63 Travis Prentice RB Miami, O.

3 88 Doug Chapman RB Marshall

4 97 Curtis Keaton RB James Madison

4 115 Frank Moreau RB Louisville

5 144 Michael Wiley RB Ohio State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

5 166 Chad Morton RB Southern California

6 171 Thomas Hamner RB Minnesota

7 243 Shyrone Stith RB Virginia Tech

7 252 Rondell Mealey RB Louisiana State

2 Franchise Backs

1 possible Franchise back

1 solid player

2 guys still around in some capacity

1 5 LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian

1 23 Deuce McAllister RB Mississippi

1 27 Michael Bennett RB Wisconsin

2 38 Anthony Thomas RB Michigan

2 49 LaMont Jordan RB Maryland

2 58 Travis Henry RB Tennessee

3 65 James Jackson RB Miami

3 80 Kevan Barlow RB Pittsburgh

3 85 Travis Minor RB Florida State

4 100 Rudi Johnson RB Auburn

4 108 George Layne RB Texas Christian

4 121 Correll Buckhalter RB Nebraska

5 150 Derrick Blaylock RB Stephen F. Austin

5 161 Chris Barnes RB New Mexico State

6 175 Dee Brown RB Syracuse

6 192 Dan Alexander RB Nebraska

1 16 William Green RB Boston College

1 18 T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State

2 34 DeShaun Foster RB UCLA

2 51 Clinton Portis RB Miami

2 54 Maurice Morris RB Oregon

2 56 Ladell Betts RB Iowa

3 84 Lamar Gordon RB North Dakota State

3 91 Brian Westbrook RB Villanova

4 99 Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State

4 119 Travis Stephens RB Tennessee

4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Miami

6 185 Josh Scobey RB Kansas State

6 197 Larry Ned RB San Diego State

6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern

6 204 Brian Allen RB Stanford

6 207 Chester Taylor RB Toledo

7 214 Luke Staley RB Brigham Young

7 237 Antwoine Womack RB Virginia

7 241 Leonard Henry RB East Carolina

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson RB Virginia Tech

7 257 Rock Cartwright RB Kansas State

1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami

1 27 Larry Johnson RB Penn State

3 77 Musa Smith RB Georgia

3 93 Chris Brown RB Colorado

3 96 Justin Fargas RB Southern California

4 99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky

4 101 Domanick Davis RB Louisiana State

4 105 Onterrio Smith RB Oregon

4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma

4 115 Lee Suggs RB Virginia Tech

4 132 LaBrandon Toefield RB Louisiana State

6 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State

7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

7 236 Brandon Drumm RB Colorado

7 242 J.T. Wall RB Georgia

7 247 Casey Moore RB Stanford

1 24 Steven Jackson RB Oregon State

1 26 Chris Perry RB Michigan

1 30 Kevin Jones RB Virginia Tech

2 41 Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State

2 43 Julius Jones RB Notre Dame

2 55 Greg Jones RB Florida State

4 119 Mewelde Moore RB Tulane

4 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas

5 154 Michael Turner RB Northern Illinois

7 208 Adimchinobe Echemandu RB California

7 219 Quincy Wilson RB West Virginia

7 228 Casey Cramer RB Dartmouth

7 235 Derrick Ward RB Ottawa, Kan.

7 242 Bruce Perry RB Maryland

7 247 Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh

Did I miss anyone that's still on a roster?

If there are 20 guys that last in the NFL from this year's RB crop, it will be the best of these, in most drafts, 15 RBs are lucky to be drafted, let alone last in the NFL.

how about the 2nd tier:

cedric cobbs - i would say both fason and houston are better prospects than cobbs.

mewelde moore - moats, arrington, and sproles are all more talented than moore among the "small back" group

michael turner - turner is one of my favorites, ill admit. i have a feeling he was seriously underrated in last years draft. im not sure who compares to him in this years draft.

and again, we havent even gotten to the interesting risks like gore/clarett/reyes/davis/nash/wimbush...
So you've comparing this year's 2nd-tier guys to last year's 2nd-tier guys... good. But what you've just done is bring to light just what these 2nd-tier guys are... Back-ups! :thumbup:

2 Franchise Backs

1 solid player

If there are 20 guys that last in the NFL from this year's RB crop, it will be the best of these, in most drafts, 15 RBs are lucky to be drafted, let alone last in the NFL.
Did you notice that as the years went on, the number of guy still in the NFL significantly decreased? You can't look at 2004 and say that the majority of them are "still in the league" and be impressed. Some of them won't be in a year or two!

2 Franchise Backs

1 solid player

Did you notice that as the years went on, the number of guy still in the NFL significantly decreased? You can't look at 2004 and say that the majority of them are "still in the league" and be impressed. Some of them won't be in a year or two!
Show me a position where that isn't true.

ok lets take top 5s:

jones/jackson/jones/perry/bell vs. brown/benson/caddy/morency/barber

ill agree thats a draw.

how about the 2nd tier:

I'll take the 2004 top 5 over the 2005 top 5, but I'm in the minority I think.Greg Jones was twice the prospect of either Shelton or Harris. Jones was a 2nd round pick in a great draft. Those guys will be lucky to see the first day in a weak draft.

Cobbs is very similar to Houston - I agree. Blue-chip background, not much performance.

Moore, while a great pass-catcher, is 6'1" 213. Not exactly a smurf. The rip on him coming out of school was that he didn't have the speed necessary at that size. I think he has shown that he can get it done under the right circumstances.

Turner was quite impressive in terms of measurables, and measures well against the 2005 lower tier.

Bell was at least comparable to Fason/Morency.

Then the interesting picks that everyone mentions but never describe, are really no better than "interesting" picks from years that rarely pan out. Clarrett really is in a category all his own though, with such a huge discrepancy in opinion on him as well as the huge discrepency between his one-time rankings (at one time, he was proabbly the concensus #1 RB in college) to his current rankings. Gore had a lot of potential, like a Luke Staley, but the result will probably be the same, a late selection and fairly quick exit from the league. Davis is another guy who is 5'6" but isn't as talented as Sproles. Reyes is just another meidocre prospect that will be drafted late if at all. Nash is interesting, but again, is like a lot of guys from previous years.

i will say, 2003 looks close to this years class for 1-10 depth, but after that, the dropoff is HUGE.
It's worth noting that Mcgahee would have gone top 5 if he was healthy, Larry Johnson was a reach, and IIRC, Musa, Brown and Fargas all fell further than most expected - if memory serves, they were forecasted as early-mid 2nds.

With the exception of the 2001 class, only 3 RBs per class are starting RBs! 2001 has 5.Of the 17 starting RBs, 10 were selected in the first round, 4 in the second, 2 in the third, and 1 in the fourth.ODDS anyone?During the last 5 years, you had :A 59% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a first round selectionA 40% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a second round selectionA 20% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a third round selectionA 6% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a fourth round selectionZip, Zero, NADA for 5th, 6th or 7th rounders (you might have a shot with Blaylock though)I wonder how this pans out for QB, WR, & TE?*edited to correct calculations*

With the exception of the 2001 class, only 3 RBs per class are starting RBs!

2001 has 5.

Of the 17 starting RBs, 10 were selected in the first round, 4 in the second, 2 in the third, and 1 in the fourth.

ODDS anyone?

During the last 5 years, you had :

A 59% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a first round selection

A 40% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a second round selection

A 20% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a third round selection

A 6% chance to get a starting RB IF you picked a fourth round selection

Zip, Zero, NADA for 5th, 6th or 7th rounders (you might have a shot with Blaylock though)

*edited to correct calculations*
This is what I was referring to ealrier when I said I did a study on odds of hitting... good post Nighshift.If you go and do the QBs and WRs now, you'll see the odds of hitting on a 1st round QB or WR are much lower than RB, and so on down the rounds.

Side Bar Again: Jamal Anderson, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Priest Holmes are the only late-round exceptions of note, but they are farther out than "the last 5 years".

I dunno know, Kit. If OZ will post the same data for QB and WR, we can check it out.My hunch is WR is a little deeper and QB is a little shallower.

If I recall correctly from the study I did, I found that you had a better hit ratio of getting a future star QB if you took one from the middle/late rounds... that's not to say I'd pass on Peyton Manning, but Ryan Leaf was just as hyped, if not more.Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Trent Green, Jake Delhomme all come to mind... sure, for every Brady, there's a Vick, Culpepper or Manning, but the point is, you can pass on 1st-round QBs and still get a decent one later (sometimes a better one!).

I dunno know, Kit. If OZ will post the same data for QB and WR, we can check it out.

My hunch is WR is a little deeper and QB is a little shallower.
NS:If I remember correctly, I believe I found that the 2nd/3rd/4th round WRs had higher hit ratio's than the #1s.

Ex: David Terrell, Rod Gardner, Bryant Johnson, Koren Robinson, Kevin Dyson vs. Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Deion Branch, Darrell Jackson...

Again, there's always the "can't miss" Moss, Holt, etc., but the odds said wait.

So the results are in:How does the 2005 amazingly deep RB class compare to other recent drafts (say last decade or so)?Pretty much how I expected.Total RBs drafted:2005 - 252004 - 202003 - 242002 - 262001 - 202000 - 271999 - 251998 - 301997 - 231996 - 322005 was just slightly UNDER average1st day backs drafted:2005 - 92004 - 82003 - 7 (though there were another NINE backs drafted in the 4th round)2002 - 82001 - 102000 - 91999 - 111998 - 101997 - 101996 - 122005 was again, just under average, though a small percentage higher than the most recent years.1st round backs drafted:2005 - 32004 - 32003 - 22002 - 22001 - 32000 - 51999 - 21998 - 41997 - 21996 - 32005 just a smidge over average.If you "cut off" viable prospects at round 4 (instead of "first day"):2005 - 152004 - 82003 - 162002 - 132001 - 142000 - 141999 - 151998 - 141997 - 141996 - 192005 is right around average (poor 2004 was brutal which MIGHT help to explain how all of the "amazing depth" talk got started?).So, pretty much the ONLY distinction for 2005 in terms of historical draft results is that 3 of them went in the top 5, which was unprecedented in the last 10 years. Quite honestly, I thought one or more of them would fall, but they didn't. There just weren't enough top prospects at other positions to move them down.Anyway, outside of the big boys, if there was an amazing level of depth to this RB draft class, the draft itself didn't show it. Perhaps more than the usual percentage of lower picks will become viable fantasy starters, but we will have to wait and see about that.

Perhaps more than the usual percentage of lower picks will become viable fantasy starters, but we will have to wait and see about that.
thats the key - this year you had decent prospects like walter reyes, TA mcclendon, and Kay Jay Harris go undrafted, and a solid RB talent in fason and barber that lasted til the second day. while the same number of guys as usual got drafted, i think the quality of those players and those just on the outside looking in is much better than past year, and i expect that to bear out as when we where the 2005 class is 3 years from now.

Perhaps more than the usual percentage of lower picks will become viable fantasy starters, but we will have to wait and see about that.
thats the key - this year you had decent prospects like walter reyes, TA mcclendon, and Kay Jay Harris go undrafted, and a solid RB talent in fason last til the second day. while the same number of guys as usual got drafted, i think the quality of those players and those just on the outside looking in is much better than past year, and i expect that to bear out as when we where the 2005 class is 3 years from now.
This draft reminded me a lot of 2001. There were a few top players and a bunch of other players that eventually became starters. I like last year's top 4 RB's (Jackson, KJ, JJ, Bell) but beyond that there weren't a lot of guys will the potential to be starters (Chris Perry, GJones, Moore maybe). In this year's class there are quite a few guys that will be starting out as backups (Barber, Fason, Moats, Houston, Morency and Gore) but have the potential to become starters in the next couple years.

I totaly agree bloom.I cannot recall ever seeing a rb group as talented as this one top to bottom in close to 20 years of interest in this hobby. And all at a time when Rbs have been becoming less and less valued from a salary cap perspective which truly makes it astonishing that 3 Rbs were selected in the top 5 picks to me. The trend of recent years had been indicating that teams do not value Rbs in the 1st round and particularly towards the top of the 1st round.It may take 2 to 3 years like bloom has said for some of these Rbs to overtake thier incumbants but I see a larger total portion of them becoming starters than in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread