What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] RBs: Last Chance To Sell High? (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
Corey Dillon, NE - As of right now, he still looks like the man for this year, but DeAngelo Williams keeps coming up in mocks, and I expect a first day RB one way or the other.

Willie Parker, PIT - the LenDale White talk is heating up. They have the ammo to trade up.

Deshaun Foster, CAR - The re-signing makes him look like the feature back. I have a feeling that we'll see RBBC if White is there at 27.

Fred Taylor, JAX - like Dillon, right now it appears that he's in line to be the feature back for 2006. That could change when the Jags take their card up to the podium on Saturday.

Warrick Dunn, ATL - I have a strong feeling that the heir to his role will be drafted on the first day (think Drew or Calhoun). Even if Dunn remains in his role this year, that draft pick will change the Dynasty FF perception of Dunn

Tatum Bell, DEN - Shanny. Unsettled RB situation. Draft. Enough Said.

Any Others?

Most owners are going to be hesitant about getting these guys due to the reasons you gave so the value you get in return may be limited. You might have an easier time buying low on these guys and hoping you don't get burned on draft day, or if these teams do get a rookie they take time to phase him in and you get one more year of production.

Frank Gore/ Barlow - talent

Tiki Barber - purely age

Curtis Martin - age/production
Gore is another I meant to add, especially with the niners sitting in the deangelo williams strike zone at 22. Martin is already dead to most dynasty owners. Barber could be classified similar to Dunn.

Most owners are going to be hesitant about getting these guys due to the reasons you gave so the value you get in return may be limited. You might have an easier time buying low on these guys and hoping you don't get burned on draft day, or if these teams do get a rookie they take time to phase him in and you get one more year of production.
True - of the situation you described, Domanick Davis and Dominic Rhodes fit perfectly. everyone already values them as if they were getting their job usurped by a rook. If Houston and Indy dont go Bush, Maroney/Addai, then their values take a big leap.Another angle to this strategy is to wait until after the draft, and if their teams don't take an RB high, you have a sell high opp. For instance, if the steelers dont end up with White, then FWP seems safe. I still think eventually he gets relegated to a change of pace role, so that would be a good time to dangle trade feelers if you own him.

Not to be an arsehole, but guys like Warrick Dunn and to a lesser extent Corey Dillon aren't going to lose any value whatsoever if their respective teams draft a 1st round rookie RB. Why? Firstly because they are entrenched as their respective team's featured runner (so their '06 value is as solid as a rock) and secondly because they are so old that they will be naturally phased out of the offense in '07 and beyond.

Better examples were Willie Parker, DeShaun Foster and Dominic Rhodes. I also like the Tiki Barber example - I'm amazed that so many people are still high on him in dynasty formats.

Not to be an arsehole, but guys like Warrick Dunn and to a lesser extent Corey Dillon aren't going to lose any value whatsoever if their respective teams draft a 1st round rookie RB. Why? Firstly because they are entrenched as their respective team's featured runner (so their '06 value is as solid as a rock) and secondly because they are so old that they will be naturally phased out of the offense in '07 and beyond.

Better examples were Willie Parker, DeShaun Foster and Dominic Rhodes. I also like the Tiki Barber example - I'm amazed that so many people are still high on him in dynasty formats.
I would disagree about Dunn and Dillon being completely entrenched if their teams take a first day RB, that's the point. I do think Dunn is more entrenched than Dillon, but the presence of a young RB will at least hurt the perception of his value. i dont think 100% of his owners are aware that atlanta is looking very hard for his replacement this year, even if it is a natural time to do it.

Good thread, and I think about this often. I own the likes of FWP, Rhodes, Gore, etc. in dynasty leagues, and I have often wondered whether I should try to cash in on any present value now. The trouble is that if you dump a guy likw FWP or Gore today and their teams do NOT take a RB high, you've just dumped them at low value.

Good thread, and I think about this often. I own the likes of FWP, Rhodes, Gore, etc. in dynasty leagues, and I have often wondered whether I should try to cash in on any present value now. The trouble is that if you dump a guy likw FWP or Gore today and their teams do NOT take a RB high, you've just dumped them at low value.
Definitely takes a gambler's mentality to play the buy low/sell high game. If you are consistent and sound with your decisions, you will come out ahead in the long run. Even if the Steelers dont take LenDale, FWP's days as the main RB are numbered, he's just not a good fit if you ask me. This is why I bring up the post-draft period as a good time to sell high on some of these guys if their teams don't bring in a possible replacement/competitor, unless you are holding them strictly for a title run this year.

While its likely Atlanta will draft a first day RB, the chance of him being Dunn's heir is slim unless they move back into the first round. Duckett has more of a chance of being Dunn's heir than most rookies. Dunn's position on the team for this season is safe. However a healthy contract year Duckett likely means less of a load than last season.

Dillon and Martin's value right now is low enough as things stand now.

Tiki's is way too high after a career year. Definately belongs here.

I'd buy Foster. People are down on his injury history.

Gore, Parker, Barlow, Rhodes, Bell, and Dayne belong here. Though I'd probably buy Bell and I think Barlow's value is about right if not a tad low. Selling for fear of replacement is pessimistic for these types of players. An optimist might buy for hope of reward. It works both ways.

Fred Taylor's value is about right. People look at him almost like Dillon or Martin. Chance of being cut if they draft his replacement.

Chester Taylor and belongs on this list for sure. Brian Westbrook and Chris Brown could be put on this list. Ahman Green's value is low right now but he's a good candidate. Julius Jones could potentially be here as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muchas gracias, Bloom! Love the Dynasty (deep Keeper League) tidbits.

While its likely Atlanta will draft a first day RB, the chance of him being Dunn's heir is slim unless they move back into the first round. Duckett has more of a chance of being Dunn's heir than most rookies. Dunn's position on the team for this season is safe. However a healthy contract year Duckett likely means less of a load than last season.
As a Duckett owner myself I'd like to believe this, but either the Atlanta coaches aren't that high on him or he just isn't the right fit for the Atlanta scheme. He's still fairly young, but not sure if his future is in Atlanta.

Deshaun Foster, CAR - The re-signing makes him look like the feature back. I have a feeling that we'll see RBBC if White is there at 27.

Fred Taylor, JAX - like Dillon, right now it appears that he's in line to be the feature back for 2006. That could change when the Jags take their card up to the podium on Saturday.

Warrick Dunn, ATL - I have a strong feeling that the heir to his role will be drafted on the first day (think Drew or Calhoun). Even if Dunn remains in his role this year, that draft pick will change the Dynasty FF perception of Dunn.
Man, being a Duckett, Greg Jones, and Eric Shelton owner, I don't like reading about those teams all looking to possibly DRAFT an RB. :hot: :rant:

I wouldn't be concerned at all if White lands in Carolina. That fat, gimp, lazy slob is just looking for that rookie paycheck. Then he'll go start dealing drugs and beating women and assaulting innocent bystanders. He'll be another Eric Shelton or Brandon Jacobs at best.

I'm actually trying to acquire Dillon in one league because of the perceived hitting the wall syndrome.While he is not a top ten FF RB anymore, he will make a nice RB2 for me to pair with SA this year and maybe just maybe 2007.

I'm going for the repeat in this league and my RB2 is hardly strong with Foster,Bell,Dayne,Mike Anderson.I'm willing to take a chance on him to make another run while SA,Brady,CJ are in their prime..

Different strokes for different folks right :)

Dominic Rhodes - Right now he is the starter in the powerful Indy offense... of course T. Jones or Drafted RB could relegate him to a very good backup once again.

Warrick Dunn, ATL - I have a strong feeling that the heir to his role will be drafted on the first day (think Drew or Calhoun). Even if Dunn remains in his role this year, that draft pick will change the Dynasty FF perception of Dunn.
Man, being a Duckett, Greg Jones, and Eric Shelton owner, I don't like reading about those teams all looking to possibly DRAFT an RB. :hot: :rant:
This is a very good point in my opinion. If some of these teams draft a RB on the first day, it could have more of an effect on their backups like Shelton than it would on the current starters.

I'm actually trying to acquire Dillon in one league because of the perceived hitting the wall syndrome.While he is not a top ten FF RB anymore, he will make a nice RB2 for me to pair with SA this year and maybe just maybe 2007.

I'm going for the repeat in this league and my RB2 is hardly strong with Foster,Bell,Dayne,Mike Anderson.I'm willing to take a chance on him to make another run while SA,Brady,CJ are in their prime..

Different strokes for different folks right :)
Totally agreed, except I'd take Dunn. Sadly, RB is the least of my concerns in my leagues. Still, if Dunn's value decreases post-draft, he's a top buy low canidate.

Maybe they won't lose value to you while you ride them all the way to their FF grave, but they'll be virtually untradeable in dynasty leagues. Frankly, I prefer trading a guy before he becomes untradeable. If you're holding a guy during his swan song season it was not a good use of player value, IMHO.

The time to sell high on Willie Parker was Week 2 last year.

Dynasty, that is.
I disagree. His 130 yards and TD in week 16 last year were really nice in helping me win the championship game :thumbup:

As a Duckett owner myself I'd like to believe this, but either the Atlanta coaches aren't that high on him or he just isn't the right fit for the Atlanta scheme.  He's still fairly young, but not sure if his future is in Atlanta.
I think odds are good that he plays elsewhere next year (2007). I'm just saying a second or third round rookie is less likely to be the heir to Dunn than Duckett is. Atlanta is in the drivers seat with Duckett but he really wasnt their coaching staff's pick.

As a Duckett owner myself I'd like to believe this, but either the Atlanta coaches aren't that high on him or he just isn't the right fit for the Atlanta scheme. He's still fairly young, but not sure if his future is in Atlanta.
I think odds are good that he plays elsewhere next year.

I'm just saying a second or third round rookie is less likely to be the heir to Dunn than Duckett is. Atlanta is in the drivers seat with Duckett but he really wasnt their coaching staff's pick.
I'm really hoping this holds true. He'd be a good fit in a few places.

I think odds are good that he plays elsewhere next year.

I'm just saying a second or third round rookie is less likely to be the heir to Dunn than Duckett is. Atlanta is in the drivers seat with Duckett but he really wasnt their coaching staff's pick.
I'm really hoping this holds true. He'd be a good fit in a few places.
As a starter? Or basically in the same role that he's in now? He seems to have been dinged up in the past. I'd love for him to start somewhere....ANYWHERE!

I'm really hoping this holds true.

He'd be a good fit in a few places.
As a starter? Or basically in the same role that he's in now? He seems to have been dinged up in the past. I'd love for him to start somewhere....ANYWHERE!
I think he could start in quite a few places, but there aren't too many teams that need a RB right now, or are expected to after the draft.Maybe if a couple RBs land in unsuspected places, like Oakland, NYG, Cleveland, KC, Philly, Green Bay, NO, and San Fran - just to name a few that nobody is talking about but wouldn't be shocking to me.

At the end of the day, I'm not expecting him to be traded.

Dynasty, that is.
I disagree. His 130 yards and TD in week 16 last year were really nice in helping me win the championship game :thumbup:
I'm sure he did. But will he be there for you this year, or the next?To me, he's just never appeared like a "I'll always own him" kind of dynasty prospect.

Not to be an arsehole, but guys like Warrick Dunn and to a lesser extent Corey Dillon aren't going to lose any value whatsoever if their respective teams draft a 1st round rookie RB.  Why?  Firstly because they are entrenched as their respective team's featured runner (so their '06 value is as solid as a rock) and secondly because they are so old that they will be naturally phased out of the offense in '07 and beyond.   

Better examples were Willie Parker, DeShaun Foster and Dominic Rhodes.  I also like the Tiki Barber example - I'm amazed that so many people are still high on him in dynasty formats.
Maybe they won't lose value to you while you ride them all the way to their FF grave, but they'll be virtually untradeable in dynasty leagues. Frankly, I prefer trading a guy before he becomes untradeable. If you're holding a guy during his swan song season it was not a good use of player value, IMHO.
Yes, I would really take... Cedric Houston for Warrick Dunn. Seriously, what do you think you can get for Dunn? Unless you can get a decent #2 RB for Dunn, he's not worth moving.

Not to be an arsehole, but guys like Warrick Dunn and to a lesser extent Corey Dillon aren't going to lose any value whatsoever if their respective teams draft a 1st round rookie RB.  Why?  Firstly because they are entrenched as their respective team's featured runner (so their '06 value is as solid as a rock) and secondly because they are so old that they will be naturally phased out of the offense in '07 and beyond.   

Better examples were Willie Parker, DeShaun Foster and Dominic Rhodes.  I also like the Tiki Barber example - I'm amazed that so many people are still high on him in dynasty formats.
Yes, I would really take... Cedric Houston for Warrick Dunn. Seriously, what do you think you can get for Dunn? Unless you can get a decent #2 RB for Dunn, he's not worth moving.
Yeah, like I suggested trading Dunn for Cedric Houston. :loco: If that's the best you can do then you are right, holding him for his swan song season and then losing him for no value at all upon retirement is a great deal for you. My main point was you are kidding yourself if you say they will lose no value, or even suggesting guys are entrenched in the Not For Long league. Guys who are untradeable in a dynasty league are 1 hit away from being utterly worthless.

They don't because they don't have any value beyond '06... at least not unless you're participating in bush leagues.

Check out reply #11. This thread is primarily aimed at highlighting guys such as Willie Parker, Reuben Droughns, Fred Taylor, Chester Taylor, Dominic Rhodes and Tiki Barber - guys who are perceived to have value beyond 2006.

Warrick Dunn - everybody knows (or should know) that he's a 1-year rental. You're not going to get anything more than a long-shot prospect for him, unless like i said, you play with 11-year olds. Which you probably do since you think you can get a #2 RB for him.

If you wanted to move Dunn because he was "too old" and you wanted to get "some value before he croaks it", then you should've traded him last off-season. If you have Dunn on your roster now, you're better of riding this pony until he's finished.

You're not going to get anything more than a long-shot prospect for him, unless like i said, you play with 11-year olds. Which you probably do since you think you can get a #2 RB for him.
You sure are one angry cuss. Care to :link: where I said you'd get a #2 RB for Dunn?TIA

Dynasty, that is.
I'm sure he did. But will he be there for you this year, or the next?To me, he's just never appeared like a "I'll always own him" kind of dynasty prospect.
Folks keep on saying that but he keeps on being pretty damn good. :shrug:

You're not going to get anything more than a long-shot prospect for him, unless like i said, you play with 11-year olds.  Which you probably do since you think you can get a #2 RB for him.
You sure are one angry cuss. Care to :link: where I said you'd get a #2 RB for Dunn?TIA
Umm, that's what I would assume to be the minimum one would be willing to settle for in return for Warrick Dunn. What would you settle for? Cedric Houston?

As with any other transaction, a fantasy football trade is still about matching a buyer and a seller. In a very imperfect market like a fantasy league (only 9-13 potential trade partners, depending on league size), perceived value can vary widely. We here on this board read a lot and get a good sense of what an overall consensus value may be for these players, but our leaguemates may be approaching from completely different perspectives. So, the same player could be considered a legitimate buy low AND sell high candidate, depending on the owners involved and the owners' view of the associated risk.

I probably didn't help anyone with what I just said, but wanted to add it to the conversation.

Dynasty, that is.
Lucky you!I sat FWP week 16 in favor of an ailing Tomlinson and got beat in the SB. My gut was telling me to start Parker, but I couldn't find it in me to bench Tomlinson. FWP would have been the difference...

i know, i know

:ptts:

I sat FWP week 16 in favor of an ailing Tomlinson and got beat in the SB. My gut was telling me to start Parker, but I couldn't find it in me to bench Tomlinson. FWP would have been the difference...
And there you have it. Willie Parker's better than LaDainian Tomlinson :thumbup: :D

You're not going to get anything more than a long-shot prospect for him, unless like i said, you play with 11-year olds.  Which you probably do since you think you can get a #2 RB for him.
Umm, that's what I would assume to be the minimum one would be willing to settle for in return for Warrick Dunn. What would you settle for? Cedric Houston?
You might find it interesting to know a Dunn owner is not limited to either obtaining a #2RB or settling for Cedric Houston. There are actually many, many things a person might do. To your point, one option is strapping the fate of your dynasty team to the shoulders of a 31 year old RB, and holding him out of necessity until he retires.

Yes, I'll take Vincent Jackson? How about Charlie Frye? Or a 2nd round draft pick? The fact is that you'll be lucky to get anything of considerable value from dealing Dunn.

And don't give that bull-crap argument about "selling him before he loses all his value". As a former Dunn owner up to mid-way through the 2005 season in a dynasty league, I managed to palm him off for a princely sum. The argument is a valid one - even I acknowledge that fact well before you joined into the discussion - see reply #6. Fact of the matter is that if you wanted to deal Dunn (and actually get something good in return), you should've done it last off-season or during the season. Oh wait, you're playing in a bush league right? If you had told me earlier, then I can forgive you for thinking you can actually get a decent rb#2, or a WR#2 etc etc. Enjoy living in your fantasy.

The highest i've seen paid for Dunn this off-season was a 1.6 pick in a rookie draft. And there were extenuating circumstances. The guy ditching Dunn was the worst team in the league with absolutely nothing to gain from having Dunn around, whilst the other team was a underperformed team that should be a serious contender in '06. Dunn was the final piece of the puzzle for the team acquiring him.

I personally like Reuben Droughns potential this year, but there have been several stories out that Crennel wants to add the "Faulk" type back they had in New England.

Believe it or not, but DeAngelo has actually been mentioned.

Chris Brown - His value might not get any lower OR higher than it is right now. He's a player I wouldn't buy for much or sell for too little. Most owners are trapped with this kid. Expect T Henry to show the club what he was brought in for.

Chester Taylor - Another player that COULD explode, but what's with all the draft talk? Why would the Vikings even consider a RB after bringin in Chesty?

I like the first and third, but they are ALL possible SELL HIGH candidates.

Yes, I'll take Vincent Jackson? How about Charlie Frye? Or a 2nd round draft pick? The fact is that you'll be lucky to get anything of considerable value from dealing Dunn.

And don't give that bull-crap argument about "selling him before he loses all his value". As a former Dunn owner up to mid-way through the 2005 season in a dynasty league, I managed to palm him off for a princely sum. The argument is a valid one - even I acknowledge that fact well before you joined into the discussion - see reply #6. Fact of the matter is that if you wanted to deal Dunn (and actually get something good in return), you should've done it last off-season or during the season. Oh wait, you're playing in a bush league right? If you had told me earlier, then I can forgive you for thinking you can actually get a decent rb#2, or a WR#2 etc etc. Enjoy living in your fantasy.
I agree with this. I own Dunn in a dynasty league and have been trying to trade him since the middle of 04'. No one would give up anything then and they sure aren't giving up anything for him now.He has been untradeable in my dynasty league for a couple years. There are exceptions, but at this point he is worthless if your talking trade value in the majority of dynasty leagues.

Better off just to ride him out than take a 3rd round rookie pick.

Dynasty, that is.
Folks keep on saying that but he keeps on being pretty damn good. :shrug:
But my point is: Will he keep on being pretty damn good in '06, '07 and '08? I don't think he has the durability to be the feature back for years to come. But that's just my opinion.

The more I think about it I am going to try to GET Dunn at a reduced value if Atlanta takes a RB. Duckett does not look like the answer, every time I see him play (probably only a handful of games) he runs into the line and falls down. I don't see any patience or vision, but I don't have enough of a sampling of his games to say for certain. I think Dunn has one more year in him.

I actually traded away Dunn and 1.12 for R Johnson and M Clayton (TB) in about week 8 last year to a team assured of making the playoffs and needing RB help. This was before Rudi blew up. I wonder what it will take to get him back?

Duckett does not look like the answer, every time I see him play (probably only a handful of games) he runs into the line and falls down. I don't see any patience or vision, but I don't have enough of a sampling of his games to say for certain. I think Dunn has one more year in him.
You have to look at the way Atlanta used Duckett. He plays a lot of short yardage and goal line. He also gets a lot of carries after the team has built up a lead. So he's almost always running against stacked fronts. Considering that, he does a very good job. If he didnt, Atlanta wouldnt use him so much in those situations. In the situations he actually comes in and plays between the 20s on a normal down, you will see him wiggle more. His biggest issue has been injuries. Last year he looked worse than in previous years but that was due to being more out of shape than usual while dealing with injuries. While I feel people's criticism of Duckett is unjust, I'm not saying he's the future in Atlanta. They use a zone blocking west coast system and now they are adding the shotgun. This isnt an offense made for a bruising back. I dont see them changing the system for Duckett. He was picked by the former coaching staff which used a much different system. Its probably best for both him and Atlanta if they let him go in free agency and bring in someone else.

As with any other transaction, a fantasy football trade is still about matching a buyer and a seller. In a very imperfect market like a fantasy league (only 9-13 potential trade partners, depending on league size), perceived value can vary widely. We here on this board read a lot and get a good sense of what an overall consensus value may be for these players, but our leaguemates may be approaching from completely different perspectives. So, the same player could be considered a legitimate buy low AND sell high candidate, depending on the owners involved and the owners' view of the associated risk.

I probably didn't help anyone with what I just said, but wanted to add it to the conversation.
:goodposting: I think that this is a great lesson. I'm currently a Dunn owner in a dynasty and I'm looking to move him. My RBs consist of McGahee, JJ, KJ, Rhodes, & Moore. I'm shopping Dunn to some RB-hungry teams and I'm not getting a bite. Looks like I will have to ride out Dunn til the end.

BTW - I haven't been able to move Dunn for a WR2 let alone a RB2, if that helps anyone.

It's a guppy move to finally realize guys are getting old and then try to trade that player now that his value is dipping. The time to trade guys is when their value is highest, not lowest.

That said, if you can move an older RB to some gup in your league, go for it. I'd do it in a heartbeat too.

Ex.: A dude in one of my leagues tried pawning Fred Taylor off on me the other day. Right. :no:

It's a guppy move to finally realize guys are getting old and then try to trade that player now that his value is dipping. The time to trade guys is when their value is highest, not lowest.

That said, if you can move an older RB to some gup in your league, go for it. I'd do it in a heartbeat too.

Ex.: A dude in one of my leagues tried pawning Fred Taylor off on me the other day. Right. :no:
You might be right, but there's something to "cutting losses" when you miss out on trading an aging player at his peak.

BTW - I haven't been able to move Dunn for a WR2 let alone a RB2, if that helps anyone.
I just acquired Dunn and Shelton for a few 2nds. Seems the other owner is buying into this thread. ;) (Much more to the trade, but that's essentially what I gave for those 2)

Just because an older player is on a roster doesn't mean the 'guppy' owner didn't realize he was getting old. The draft could've been the previous year and the player obtained with a low pick. The player could have been part of a previous trade and was acquired at fair value. Whatever the case, we don't know enough to make 'guppy' generalizations.

Users who are viewing this thread