What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft- Keke Coutee, WR, Houston (1 Viewer)

I drafted him in every dyno last year and there's no way I'd sell for a random second.  His ceiling is uber high.

Having said, he needs to prove that he can do more than catch 10 yard passes going against #2 and #3 CBs, and there are still plenty of questions for me.
Was offered Carson and a random 2 for Keke, doctson and Chris Herndon. I'd almost give Keke for Carson (I have penny) but I hate to trade the guy. 

Didn't Fuller tear the ACL halfway through the season.  No way he's back fully this year.  Give me the rookie who struggled with his hamstring year 1.  Plenty of stories of guys getting that under control once they learn how to be a professional.
Yes, I know Fuller avoided the PUP but it still seems like guys often aren't their full selves that first year removed from the injury. A hamstring injury will heal in the offseason. 

Coutee comes across as a guy who could win a lot of fantasy championships this season.all it takes is for you to burn a draft pick ( flyer) and ride the wave.

Just got him for 5% faab.  That’s right he was dropped for Chris Conley.    I already have the Watson to Hopkins but I couldn’t pass up the chance to add him. 

This dude also dropped josh Allen for foles and Doyle for witten.  Oh ya and traded luck for Lamar Jackson straight up. 

Per Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle:

"Keke Coutee is down on the field, looks like he's in a lot of pain.  He tried to get up and couldn't."

"Keke Coutee immediately grabbed his right knee, he is being carted off the field now"

That's depressing. I think I had him in 24 of 25 best ball leagues. I might as well have been his Fan Club president.

That's depressing. I think I had him in 24 of 25 best ball leagues. I might as well have been his Fan Club president.
Dang I’ve been taking him a lot in the 10th in mocks.

Twitter says MCL strain.

Oh wait, that’s @ProFootballDoc watching on his cell phone & speculating. Never mind, carry on.

Dang I’ve been taking him a lot in the 10th in mocks.

Twitter says MCL strain.

Oh wait, that’s @ProFootballDoc watching on his cell phone & speculating. Never mind, carry on.
Dr. Jene is also guessing MCL

Jene Bramel @JeneBramel

Correct. Just a quick look during our live podcast but I don't believe Coutee had his foot planted prior to the rotational aspect of the injury. Definitely an MCL concern here but I'm tentatively optimistic Coutee didn't injure his ACL.

Dr. Jene is also guessing MCL

Jene Bramel @JeneBramel

Correct. Just a quick look during our live podcast but I don't believe Coutee had his foot planted prior to the rotational aspect of the injury. Definitely an MCL concern here but I'm tentatively optimistic Coutee didn't injure his ACL.
I respectfully disagree. the hip was going into internal rotation, which will ultimately strain the acl. it didnt look like a classic acl tear injury, but I wouldnt say I'm tentatively optimistic

I believe he said that because when he watched the video it appeared his foot wasn't planted. Anyway, we'll probably know more tomorrow after an MRI

Keke tweeted something saying his fine, then deleted said tweet.

Either way, that's probably good news, but I'm still worried about his health this season.

much more optimistic it's not even his knee after watching the replay a few more times. actually looks like a medial ankle sprain. which are rare given the anatomy make up of the ankle, but not any worse than the lateral side...

His knee did buckle into some valgus, but it almost looked like tue ground stopped it from being bad 

Last edited by a moderator:
much more optimistic it's not even his knee after watching the replay a few more times. actually looks like a medical ankle sprain. which are rare given the anatomy make up of the ankle, but not any worse than the lateral side...

His knee did buckle into some valgus, but it almost looked like tue ground stopped it from being bad 
Hey guy, this is a rated G board. 

;)  

Rap says ankle sprain, didn’t use any words you’d have to google.

@RapSheet
medial = inside. valgus = a direction, so in this case knee bending inward with the foot going outward.

inside ankle sprains are uncommon because of boney support (sometimes fractured during bad inside ankle sprains) and a lot more ligaments 

Hmm I dunno the more I look at it it looks to more knee than ankle. But certainly looks to involve both. Says not for the squeamish but it’s certainly nowhere on that level. 

Edit: All reports pointing to not serious ankle injury. Coutee had an encouraging tweet which was then deleted. 

Do yourself a favor and pretend like this guy doesn't exist. He's going to be a perpetual ankle sprain, game time decision kind of guy. Cut bait and let someone else have him. You can win without him. Take your 2nd or 3rd Round Pick and move on with your life...

Do yourself a favor and pretend like this guy doesn't exist. He's going to be a perpetual ankle sprain, game time decision kind of guy. Cut bait and let someone else have him. You can win without him. Take your 2nd or 3rd Round Pick and move on with your life...
Yes I do think he is approaching avoid/injury prone status

Being classified as a minor ankle sprain, correct.

AFAIK, his only injury in college was a grade 1 groin pull that knocked him out of a game. His last not NFL injury prior to last night was a grade 2 hamstring strain. As often happens to many WRs, his August hammy was re-injured subsequently, in October & November.

I’m not changing my rankings - WR43, in the Allison- Sutton-Miller-MVS grouping. I haven’t taken him in any mocks in awhile but I’m comfortable taking him as my WR4 in the 10th.

You couldn't be more spot on. He is made of paper mache, won't be in the league very long. 

Being classified as a minor ankle sprain, correct.

AFAIK, his only injury in college was a grade 1 groin pull that knocked him out of a game. His last not NFL injury prior to last night was a grade 2 hamstring strain. As often happens to many WRs, his August hammy was re-injured subsequently, in October & November.

I’m not changing my rankings - WR43, in the Allison- Sutton-Miller-MVS grouping. I haven’t taken him in any mocks in awhile but I’m comfortable taking him as my WR4 in the 10th.
I think the concern is more injuries per NFL snap, not injuries per season 

You couldn't be more spot on. He is made of paper mache, won't be in the league very long. 
They used to say that about Stafford. Think he played 13 games his first two years? “Dude’s made of glass.” That was 128 consecutive starts ago.

If Keke had injuries in college, or had a continuous history of hamstring injuries, I’d support your stance. But he never missed a game in college and had one hamstring pull last year that he later pulled again (super common sequence with that particular injury.)

Fuller, on the other hand, has had injuries every year in the pros. Thigh strain, re-injured hammy, knee strain, shoulder fracture, rib fracture, another knee strain, another hammy, torn ACL - in three years!

Why I like Coutee to break out in 2019:

17.2 PPG in his healthy games in 2018

7.2 rec 76 yrds 0.4 TDs 

best games: 1st game as a pro 15 targets 11-109, and WC playoff 14 Ts 11-110-1

For all games, Keke had a target share of 22.7% (19th), and his RZ target share was 17.9%.

Hopkins is a target hog (27% market share), they don’t utilize TEs, and Fuller mostly runs 9 routes (until he gets hurt.) Even accounting for Duke there’s still a ton of targets available.

He’s not an incredible athlete but he has an above average SPARQ-x (108.6), above average agility, great football speed - he posted the second highest target separation per route among all WRs. He had the fourth highest reception percentage from the slot.

Early breakout age (19), dominated his junior year, still only 22. PFF on his 2017:

Among 103 receivers to see at least 75 targets in 2017, Coutee ranked first in yards after the catch per reception (9.0), third in WR rating (139.7), and sixth in yards per target (11.7). That yards-per-target ranking looks all the more impressive when considering he ranked 19th-lowest (of 103 receivers) in average depth of target (8.5 yards). By depth-adjusted yards per target, he finished his collegiate career as the single most efficient Power-5 wide receiver we had ever recorded. He was excellent in 2016 as well, earning a grade of 88.1, which, up until last season, was the highest grade we’ve ever seen from a wide receiver before the age of 20.

This is not a guy to write off because of a fluke ankle sprain. Everything about him is screaming value.

89-963-4

Not concerned as much about his injury status as I am about the Texans adding Duke. Johnson will take away a lot of the underneath stuff that was headed for Keke.

Keke Coutee is still sidelined with an ankle injury.

This means we're most likely not going to see Coutee play the rest of this preseason. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport said this was a "not major" ankle injury at the time he went down, but it would be a lot more comforting if we saw some progression from the second-year receiver now that we're inching closer to Week 1.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Aug 22, 2019, 12:58 PM ET

Keke Coutee (ankle) returned to practice Monday.

Coutee sprained his ankle in the third preseason game but missed just a tad over a week, signaling it was a minor sprain. With Lamar Miller done for the year with his torn ACL, perhaps the Texans will throw the ball more in 2019. Coutee is expected to handle slot duties for however long he can stay healthy. He's currently being drafted as a WR4/5 in fantasy.

SOURCE: Mark Berman on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 8:51 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he is "not hopeful" Keke Coutee (ankle) will be ready for Week 1.

Coutee returned to practice on Monday but apparently only in a cursory fashion. It's pretty bleak that O'Brien is essentially ruling him out 12 days before the opener. That would mean he's doubtful for even Week 2. Coutee is a needed chain-mover for the Texans, but he has had immense trouble staying on the field since entering the league as the No. 103 overall pick last year. The Texans could be looking at DeAndre Carter or Vyncint Smith as their No. 3 receiver for the opener.

SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 2:36 PM ET

:kicksrock:

Disappointing.

Anybody got a read on DeAndre Carter? I know he’s mostly a returner but when Coutee was our last year he had a couple three games he was targeted. I presume since he’s little & his YPC is low they use him mostly on slants & Hubble screens from the slot?

If Keke is declared out - probably be another 7-9 days before that happens, WK1 is a MNF game - I can slide Keke to IR. Hate giving up early on 10th round draft capital. When he has been healthy Watson locks on & peppers him with targets.

To my waivers most likely
Hopefully... he and Stills are not the same kind of player. I'd love to add Coutee off waivers if an owner drops because of this.  Time to make offers in dynasty on the news. 

I don't trust Bob to deploy players right though, i have some slight hesitation because of that.. 

Hopefully... he and Stills are not the same kind of player. I'd love to add Coutee off waivers if an owner drops because of this.  Time to make offers in dynasty on the news. 

I don't trust Bob to deploy players right though, i have some slight hesitation because of that.. 
This is my worry and the reason why I am dropping Coutee.  I am just afraid that now, even if healthy, he will not get the playing time/targets that I had been hoping for without inury to one of the other wrs.

I’m holding in redraft. In terms of route tree, Stills eats into Fuller’s game more than Keke’s. If he gets & stays healthy he could have a very nice PPR floor from the slot.

I wonder they are planning on limiting Coutee's and Fuller's snaps to keep them healthy or if they are planning on a lot of 4 receiver sets.  They actually played a lot of 2 tight end sets last year but that might have been because they were lacking quality wide receivers with Fuller and Coutee being hurt most of the year..   Tight end Ryan Griffin is gone and he played 67% of snaps.  Laremy Tunsil should make the need for tight end pass protection a little less dire.

Snap Count

Ryan Griffin         67.92%

Jordan Akins      35.47%

Jordan Thomas 42.96%

Total                   146.35%

Texans coach Bill O'Brien they "will have to see how it goes" on Monday in regards to Keke Coutee's (ankle) availability Week 1.

Coutee has been limited at practice, but he is still coming back from a "pretty serious" high ankle sprain. Coutee is questionable and will be a game-time decision, though limited practices are a good sign that he'll suit up. With Kenny Stills and Duke Johnson now on the roster, Coutee is a low-floor play in Week 1.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Sep 6, 2019, 1:14 PM ET

In redraft Coutee is droppable; in dynasty he is a hold.
Agree.  And just dropped him in redraft yesterday but still value him quite highly for his potential ceiling in dynasty and am willing to wait for consistency and availability because I think it’s clear he has the talent and instincts to succeed, he just needs to do it, a lot hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread