What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty trade advice: Win now vs future (1 Viewer)

footballguy12345

Footballguy
12 team PPR 1 QB Start 9 Dynasty league.

Give: Late 2024 1st
Receive: Ekeler

I am struggling balancing win now vs longterm success. My league currently has one aging superteam that will be hard to beat even with Ekeler. I was hoping to use my 2024 1st to upgrade my QB room. I am not too confident on the longterm fantasy futures of Dak and Howell. All top QBs are already on competing teams in the league and QBs are valued very highly in my league. How do you balance winning now vs building long-term success in dynasty leagues? My team is currently in 3rd (standings and points scored) and is set up well to compete the next few years.

Last edited:
12 team PPR 1 QB Start 9 Dynasty league.

Give: Late 2024 1st
Receive: Ekeler

I am struggling balancing win now vs longterm success. My league currently has one aging superteam that will be hard to beat even with Ekeler. I was hoping to use my 2024 1st to upgrade my QB room. I am not too confident on the longterm fantasy futures of Dak and Howell. All top QBs are already on competing teams in the league and QBs are valued very highly in my league. How do you balance winning now vs building long-term success in dynasty leagues? My team is currently in 3rd (standings and points scored) and is set up well to compete the next few years.
My opinion is somewhat in the minority, I think, but I err on the side of future. I try to maximize dynasty value. In the long run, it eventually in theory should end up producing a win-now roster that also has a bright future, and then hopefully that "double-edged" sword can be maintained.

It could work, or it could just leave you stuck with a "perennially great future" and a "perennially meh present".

My personal testimony:
I took over my team in 2013. Inherited a strong team of some young, some old, players. Fortunate to win the championship in my second year on the back of someone else's roster, as I hardly made any moves of my own. Didn't really have a strategy yet, but tried to start making trades.

Some trades weren't the wisest (gave Beckham for Jonas Gray after the 200-yard game), a lot of high draft picks over time that refused to really pan out (Bishop Sankey, Laquon Treadwell, Rob Kelley, Kenneth Dixon, Breshad Perriman, Matt Jones, Duke Johnson, Samaje Perine, OJ Howard, Njoku, Ameer Abdullah, Jamaal Williams, John Ross, Curtis Samuel, Kerryon Johnson, Royce Freeman, James Washington).

Have kept making a lot of trades, often times to get picks and then take the best dynasty player available. Have been trying to never have a veteran "just for points right now" guy on my team. They take up a roster spot, with low (or at least plummeting) value. I want prospects in those bottom few roster spots. I want to sell a top RB by age 27-6, sell a top WR by age 29-0 (just rule of thumb).

Floundered around, made the playoffs as a low wildcard team a few times, until around 2020 some draft picks really started to come to fruition. Finished 3rd last year, and am tied for first at 8-1 with a 100-point lead for the tiebreaker. I have Hurts, AJ Brown, Lamb, Bijan, Etienne, Gibbs, Swift, Godwin, Dotson, as my main guys, and I have an early first, late first, early second, late second, early third next year. I feel like the plan has finally paid off, even if it did take years. Yet to be seen, though, how the "maintaining" part goes. I'm hoping to keep making the right trades to stay young AND highly conpetitive.

So, my method is not proven. But at the moment it looks good.

Oh, something I should add. I think number of playoff teams and total teams is CRITICAL in choosing thebright philosophy.

Our playoffs are unusually inclusive. 7/12 teams make the playoffs. So that means lean more heavily into future/dynasty value. Even while you're trying to build up a crappy team, you can get lucky and sneak into the playoffs any given year. Then it's just win 3 games and you're taking home the championship.

Now if you're in a league where 4/16 make the playoffs, totally different story. You are very unlikely to fall backwards into a championship while you're trying to build your team. So in that kind if a league, maybe it would be best to try to get veterans who are scoring now, and deal with next year when you get there.

I would guess eighsse2 is in the majority for dynasty minded people. Most always error towards the future and prying away future 1st round picks are like trying to pry away their first born.

I tend to look at 2 yr increments with players and don't value picks nearly as much as the typical dynasty player. For your situation it all depends on if you really think Ekeler puts you in a position to likely win the title. If it doesn't then I probably don't do that deal as Ekeler is about at end of life in my eyes of where he holds any value beyond this year and next. Injuries seems to be catching up with him which is why I am not valuing him as high moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread