What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

dynastyleaguefootball.com - website is down (1 Viewer)

I got a cloud version of the front page that hasn't been updated since December 30,2015.

--------------

Retry for a live version This page (http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by CloudFlare | Hide this Alert

-----

Joe Steeler is correct. The links work to the forums and the first post notes the site had been down for 24 hours.

This thread has four replies so maybe post in the thread but it seems no one there knows what is going on either.

http://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112731

Site Down Jan 1st? Site Down Jan 1st?by HEADBANGER » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Guessing main site is down today? I got no email or never saw anything posted so hopefully everything is OK soon and get;s fixed.

They got greedy putting their rankings behind a pay wall. They were a decent quick gauge of value but nothing special and super group-thinky.

Wow. Lots of backlash. They have to make a living too. Ease up. Lol. That being said, I didn't renew my membership this past year and I dont regret it one bit. They dont seem as connected as they used to be and I really only visit the forums anyhow. Even the forums arent what they used to be though. Used to be crawling with life and information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Lots of backlash. They have to make a living too.
I'm sure they all have day jobs. You have to decide if you're running a business or a hobby. They decided they were running a business while still promoting themselves as normal guys. IMO they'd be better off making their content free and relying on ad revenue, but that is my DIY ethos coming through.

In addition to moving rankings and ADP behind a pay wall, they also had a Black Friday sale to pump up subs, which could be an indication of money problems.

Weird that the forums are still open and going on as if nothing has happened. Whatever the story it is not clear enough for a staff person to post an update.

I'm not saying they are bad or anything.

I'm just saying, seen it a million times, turn away your free traffic for premium traffic you are in bad shape.

They were a quick and dirty utility, very little on the surface, they had premium articles and a few free articles.

Sites go down. Quality business sites, shady business sites, medium sorta business sites...they all go down the same.

It's an oops, a common oops. I don't see it as a point to bash or evaluate or...anything really.

Any uptime over 95% is excellent and by all accounts they are over that

I'm sure they all have day jobs. You have to decide if you're running a business or a hobby. They decided they were running a business while still promoting themselves as normal guys. IMO they'd be better off making their content free and relying on ad revenue, but that is my DIY ethos coming through.

In addition to moving rankings and ADP behind a pay wall, they also had a Black Friday sale to pump up subs, which could be an indication of money problems.

Weird that the forums are still open and going on as if nothing has happened. Whatever the story it is not clear enough for a staff person to post an update.
I'm not going to say anything's impossible, but you pretty much can't support yourself in fantasy football on ad revenue. You just can't. Not since the dot-com bubble burst. The forerunner to FBGs used to be ad supported, but then when that was no longer viable, they switched to a subscription model. (From what I hear, everyone told them it would never work; people simply didn't pay for content on the internet back in 2001 or 2002.)

Since then, how many fantasy football sites of note have been ad supported? FBGs charges a subscription. 4for4 charges a subscription. PFF charges a subscription. Rotoviz charges a subscription. Dynasty Football Warehouse charges a subscription. Under the Helmet charges a subscription. ESPN Insider charges a subscription. Rotoworld charges a subscription. Rotopass sells a single subscription that will get you into multiple subscription sites. Numberfire, Rotowire, RotoGrinders, The Fake Football... hell, even PFR supplements its revenue by selling sponsorships to player pages. I'm sure there are plenty of others that I'm forgetting.

I'm not saying a site can't get by on ads. FF Today is ad supported. I believe Fantasy Sharks is, too. Dynasty Nerds is. But I know from experience that it's a tough row to hoe. When I was at DynastyRankings.net, we planned on supporting our site through partnerships with DFS and through Google Ads. DFS, unfortunately, was about two years away from takeoff, and Google Ads didn't even provide enough to cover hosting fees. If you're just looking to put something on the internet and let people read it, like a personal blog with higher production values, then ad-supported can make sense. But there's a reason why most of the major players are pushing subscriptions.

I can say that pretty much no one in the space is getting rich. But the nice thing about Footballguys is that, while they're not paying a ton, they pay enough that I feel like my time is valued. That's a pretty powerful thing. And I know the guys at DLF value and appreciate their staff and want to be able to provide them with the same- something to show that their time and effort and talent is appreciated.

I don't think anyone's trying to quit their job or anything. Almost everyone at every site has a day job. But DLF is a business, not a hobby, and part of that is maximizing revenue and paying its staff.

For DLF, and FBGs, and all of these other sites that aren't just glorified personal blogs paying people with "exposure", the question becomes how do you maximize revenue. You need some free stuff to attract traffic. At the same time, the free stuff you offer should serve to convert visitors to subscribers. You want to give people a taste of why they want to subscribe, but if you give them too much then they no longer have any reason to.

FBGs has its rankings behind the paywall for a reason; the rankings are one of the most valued items they offer, and gaining access to those rankings drives a lot of subscriptions. DLF had its rankings outside of the paywall for years, which I appreciated, but I've always felt that it was a poor business choice, since it removed one of the most compelling reasons for people to subscribe. Same with the ADP data. That's a huge value-add. Plenty of people would be willing to pay for it. You're losing out on revenue by not asking them to.

In many ways, FBGs and the other seasonal sites have it easier in terms of deciding what's free and what's pay. FBGs just makes everything free before June 15th, and everything pay after that. That way there's plenty of great free content for people to see what we're all about, but if they want access to the really hot, time-sensitive stuff during peak drafting season, they need to subscribe.

In dynasty, there's not really a "peak drafting season". It's a year-round hobby with various different peaks and valleys. So it makes sense that DLF would be experimenting with what combination provided the highest-quality free services without eating into subscriber totals. I don't expect them to get it right on the first try. That's the sort of thing they'd tweak and fiddle with until they find something that works for them.

As for the Black Friday Sale, I'm obviously not privy to their financial situation, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Black Friday Sales are so common because they work; sales are tremendous tools for driving revenue. When they work, they tap into a value-conscious market that would otherwise never have subscribed in the first place, creating a new revenue stream that doesn't eat into any of your existing ones.

But sales only work if consumers find their rarity to be credible. We see that a lot on the app store, where some apps bounce back and forth between $.99 and $2.99 so often that anyone interested in buying knows to just wait a couple weeks until it's back down to $.99.

You need to make a credible threat that the sale is one-time-only so that you don't wind up tanking your revenue outside of the sale period. And the easiest way to make that threat credible is to have that sale at the one time of the year when everyone else is having sales. That signals to the consumer that they shouldn't bother waiting around for random price drops in the spring, unless they're willing to wait all the way to next November.

The fact that the sale coincided with the move behind the paywall is just savvy business sense. Any time you take something that was free and start charging for it, customers are going to be annoyed. An easy way to smooth over that annoyance to some extent is to offer an immediate price discount.

Anyway, like I said, I'm obviously not privy to their books, but as far as I know everything's going great over at DLF. And I'm glad about that, because they're great guys and gals and they do great work.

My thing is that rankings are a good way for visitors to see if DLF is a place where they'd like to pay for more advice/info. Rankings are a measuring stick. If you think their rankings are bad you probably don't care what they think about those specific players or the strategy that led them to those rankings.

Putting those rankings behind the paywall, like its something that they consider a major part of their worth...what does that say about the content? I really don't know, I'm asking as I'm not a subscriber.

Edit: Just saw your post Adam. Interesting. I know they're time-consuming but I've always thought of rankings as the simplest thing a fantasy site can offer and kind of a gateway drug to their "real" content that people pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, people used to get so upset if you charged a dollar for a site.

Apps and what adam said and just time for change to be accepted, it's different now. Many don't mind paying anymore.

The cheapies (like me) are fewer now- that always search for free content

what adam doesn't mention is the rampant plagiarism and stealing of content, code, anything. Make a couple changes and viola you wrote it or you created it...umm no you didn't.

That is much safer behind a pay wall

I am very proud to have created the mock draft simulator some 16-17 years ago. My site saw 100k hits a week in August and it was nice. A few years later TWO sites created a mock draft simulator and based their whole site on it. One completely stole my code. One just used the theory of it. Maybe 4-5 years later, and there are oh so many sites that offer some version of it. A handful have asked me for permission or paid me to collaborate or somesuch which is totally cool but...here's the thing. I used to have a dog named Caesar-my buddy, this lil pug was my world. So when I go to football site X and see Caesar as the variable in their mock draft code ummm...yeah I'm gonna say they stole it. Unless you can tell me somehow that Mark Anthony and Caesar relate to FF, ya gotta see how that would feel for me.

I'm not saying using an idea and making it better is wrong. There are a ton of sites that have done that and I think they're pretty cool. It's like I built a house and they turned it into a mansion. It's the other types-Just change the darn code, get my dog out of it, use some original thought.

It's late I'm off on a tangent...I just wanna say pay walls are also to keep plagiarizers out.

As for the Black Friday Sale, I'm obviously not privy to their financial situation, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Black Friday Sales are so common because they work; sales are tremendous tools for driving revenue. When they work, they tap into a value-conscious market that would otherwise never have subscribed in the first place, creating a new revenue stream that doesn't eat into any of your existing ones.
100% profit on those subs.

It's late I'm off on a tangent...I just wanna say pay walls are also to keep plagiarizers out.
For competitors a paywall is a literal non-factor, what is a sub to DLF run you? Peanuts. If so inclined you can just steal content and repackage it.

Paywalls are a convenience fee.

You can find users on reddit and elsewhere who regularly publish premium content from anywhere on the web. I've literally never subscribed to PFF but anytime I wanna see that information all I have to do is look for it.

Its entitlement of the most appropriate kind. Its why file sharing is so popular. Its why everyone runs an ad or script blocking plugin or another. Its why people literally cultivate browsing habits. Everyone has expectations and when they aren't met they go elsewhere.

I'm not going to say anything's impossible, but you pretty much can't support yourself in fantasy football on ad revenue.
"Support yourself" is vague. DLF has a large staff generating a lot of content and (I'm assuming) getting paid per word or post. The value of membership is nebulous. They do not have any flagship content. They have a lot of disposable content. Their primary value is being first to market and creating a community. Their subscription revenue is largely converting a percentage of that community into subscribers, not really driven by the quality of the content, esp. compared to FBG or Rotoviz. Not to say the content is bad or all bad. A lot of the subscription sites you mentioned (Rotoworld, ESPN) create a lot of free content and rely on the small percentage of whales to supplement revenue, similar to what mobile games have become. Others it is clear what you are paying for, for example PFF's stats you can't get elsewhere. DLF has kind of reached an extreme where they monetize the community by charging them to see the ADP data they contributed to, without considering other ways to monetize it (licensing it to Rotoviz for using it in one of their apps, or taking the next step and creating tools themselves by stealing Bri's code). So in this specific case I do think they went the wrong direction.

Users who are viewing this thread