What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles Backfield Now? - Jay Ajayi to IR (2 Viewers)

Put another way, I think Pederson and RB coach Duce Staley are such strong believers in RBBC that they would never feel the need to trade for a Bell or Johnson type. 

When is trade deadline? Hate to go in heavy to pick Clement who I dropped back up to have another Ajayi type traded for which I think is very realistic as Fletch just restructured his deal. 

Our Phil Alexander said this:
i have a hard time seeing the Eagles let Smallwood be the lead back. He isn't made to be a lead back, and his pass protection (though better last game) is going to possibly get their franchise QB killed. i think Sproles is the sneaky grab because he should be good to go in a few weeks and will be cheaper. Shame the Pats signed Barner today, Eagles probably need to just get someone. I could see a Spencer Ware maybe..

Clement practiced in full today
Rotoworld

Corey Clement (quad) is practicing in full for Week 6.

The Eagles play the Giants on Thursday night, and Philly just lost Jay Ajayi to a season-ending ACL tear, putting Clement and Wendell Smallwood squarely in the crosshairs of fantasy owners. Clement should be back this week. Oct 8 - 7:23 PM

I’m willing to take a chance on Smallwood  over Clement.  Soft tissue injuries linger (Hi Fournette and D. Cook) and despite him practicing full it is prone to reinjure at any moment causing a setback.

Bell and Johnson?  I don't think so.  I would figure they'd try to pry LeGarrette Blount away from the Lions for whatever lower draft pick it would take before they'd give up high pick(s) for Johnson or Bell.  Blount would know the system (advantage over Bell and Johnson) and he's played this season (advantage over Bell).  With Smallwood/Clement/Sproles.....getting a bellcow like Bell or Johnson would be overkill for that position.  

Clement, Smallwood and Sproles.  That's who it will be.  

Plus, Bell/Johnson would muck up their cap/salaries for next year.  I don't think there was a person in PHI who thought they'd give Ajayi any money next year and instead were going to rely on getting a rookie RB in the early/mid rounds. 

Tevin Coleman is intriguing.  Atl is using Ito Smith a ton.  Freeman under contract.  They are already going to let Coleman walk after tvOS year.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would a Tevin Coleman type cost? Situation like that where team is struggling and they can easily fill his spot with Smith may make more sense than breaking the bank for Bell/DJ type. 

Joe Bryant said:
Yet another reporter or analyst who doesn’t know anything about the salary cap. Card’s are estimated between 6M and 9M below the cap right now depending on if one looks at sporttrac or Over The Cap. Trading DJ would result in an additional 9M in accelerated dead money and a savings of only about 1.2M in salary this year. So they would have to dump some salary or restructure guys to get it done.

Eagles are estimated at less than $4M so same thing, they would have to restructure big time to fit Bell’s franchise tag in.

Coleman, Henry, Lynch, Blount, Ingram, Abdullah, D Martin- all those guys except Ingram should be had for a song.

Thunderlips said:
Plus, Bell/Johnson would muck up their cap/salaries for next year.  I don't think there was a person in PHI who thought they'd give Ajayi any money next year and instead were going to rely on getting a rookie RB in the early/mid rounds. 
How would Bell mess up their cap for next year?  He can only be signed for 2018'

Amused to Death said:
Rotoworld

The Eagles play the Giants on Thursday night, and Philly just lost Jay Ajayi to a season-ending ACL tear, putting Clement and Wendell Smallwood squarely in the crosshairs of fantasy owners. Clement should be back this week. Oct 8 - 7:23 PM
Some clarity on this.  Teams that play on Sunday then again the following Thurs do not practice on Mon.  That’s killing your players.  What teams do is declare the intended practice designation.  Clement did NOT actually physically practiced in full.

Amused to Death said:
Rotoworld

Some clarity on this.  Teams that play on Sunday then again the following Thurs do not practice on Mon.  That’s killing your players.  What teams do is declare the intended practice designation.  Clement did NOT actually physically practiced in full.
They held a walk-through today.  This from BGN:

The Philadelphia Eagles released their first official injury report on Monday in advance of their Week 6 Thursday Night Football game against the New York Giants.

The Eagles held a walk-through instead of a standard practice, so note that today’s injury report is an estimation.

The good news is that Corey Clement was listed as a full participant. Clement seemed to be moving well during warmups prior to the Eagles vs. Vikings game on Sunday. He was activated for the game but he did not play. It seems like he might’ve been good to go in an emergency situation. It’d be great to get Clement back on the field this week, especially with Jay Ajayi’s season now over.

Four Eagles players were listed as limited participants: Jason Peters, Lane Johnson, Sidney Jones, and D.J. Alexander. Jones had to leave Sunday’s game early after spraining his ankle. I’d imagine these players have a good shot to play on Thursday. They’re just not going to be playing at 100%.

Five players did not participate: Derek Barnett, Darren Sproles, Nathan Gerry, Corey Graham, and Haloti Ngata. Other than maybe Gerry, it doesn’t seem like we’ll see these guys suit up against the Giants. The Eagles’ recent addition of defensive tackle T.Y. McGill specifically doesn’t bode well for Ngata.

The Eagles will hold their first real practice ahead of the Giants game tomorrow on Tuesday.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES INJURY REPORT (MONDAY)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

DE Derek Barnett (shoulder)
LB Nathan Gerry (ankle, knee)
S Corey Graham (hamstring)
DT Haloti Ngata (calf)
RB Darren Sproles (hamstrng)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

LB D.J. Alexander (quad)
OT Lane Johnston (ankle)
CB Sidney Jones (ankle)
OT Jason Peters (quad)

FULL PARTICIPATION

RB Corey Clement (quad)

a little surprised to see the staff leaning towards smallwood here...

it certainly seems that sometime last season, clement passed him on the depth chart and hasn't looked back.

going back to week 8, 2017, the only time smallwood outtouched clement in a game both played was week 17 when the eagles rested most of their starters (5 games). and clement has outtouched smallwood both times they both played this year.

smallwood certainly could play his way back ahead of clement, but if clement is really 100% and doesn't appear on the injury report this week, he seems like the better grab & start.

a little surprised to see the staff leaning towards smallwood here...

it certainly seems that sometime last season, clement passed him on the depth chart and hasn't looked back.

going back to week 8, 2017, the only time smallwood outtouched clement in a game both played was week 17 when the eagles rested most of their starters (5 games). and clement has outtouched smallwood both times they both played this year.

smallwood certainly could play his way back ahead of clement, but if clement is really 100% and doesn't appear on the injury report this week, he seems like the better grab & start.
:goodposting:

There's a reason everyone was scrambling to add Clement a few weeks ago, and Smallwood was  :tumbleweed:

I really need some help at RB in a couple of dynasty leagues but I think i might give this a pass. We already have a timeshare between Smallwood and Clement even before Sproles comes back. Add in the potential to trade for some to help this year and next, and I really think I will let someone else take the risk here.

tackle for loss said:
 I would say Ameer Abdullah, Tevin Coleman, LeSean McCoy, Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller are only RBs I could see teams trading right now of relevance.
Oh god please no.  Bringing back Mathews was enough.

Insein said:
I don't like it but Carson is going to be throwing 40+ times a game. 
Yep, he will.  That's pretty much average or below average for a qb this year though.

need2know said:
Only because Doug Peterson has yet to ever really commit to one back.  A couple weeks back when clement got 19 touches was the most any phili rb had gotten in like 3 years. He should change with a rb like Johnson or Bell but who knows
This. I don’t see Philly giving anyone 20+ carries. And I don’t see them making a move. I think they’ll be fine with Smallwood and Clement. With neither being more than a flex option. 

They have a real practice today so if Clement puts in a full session then that will determine whether I burn my #3 waiver on Smallwood.
I think Smallwood is a good pickup regardless of Clement's health. Neither guy will be the workhorse when healthy, and Smallwood seems to be active in the passing game for PPR purposes.

This could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for.  Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

Doesn't seem like they are making a trade. All the salary cap stuff is very prohibitive.

Guessing Clement gets 1st crack to get like 60% of the work with a lot of schemes for quick passes. Wentz will be busy.

This could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for.  Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."
Agreed. The Eagles have some issues right now after winning it all, but from an outside perspective, RB does not seem to be near the top of the list.

Doesn't seem like they are making a trade. All the salary cap stuff is very prohibitive.

Guessing Clement gets 1st crack to get like 60% of the work with a lot of schemes for quick passes. Wentz will be busy.
Clement has been nursing a quad injury.  I don't know if he is ready for Thursday.  It may be Smallwood for a bit before a time share. 

Who do the eagles have on the roster that is a bruising running back.  That is what they are missing right now.  They may need to shift to an offense that looks more like the Packers for the while - hurry up, short passes, keep the defense on the field.  Or sign a running back. 

Clement has been nursing a quad injury.  I don't know if he is ready for Thursday.  It may be Smallwood for a bit before a time share. 

Who do the eagles have on the roster that is a bruising running back.  That is what they are missing right now.  They may need to shift to an offense that looks more like the Packers for the while - hurry up, short passes, keep the defense on the field.  Or sign a running back. 
Gillisbie (sp?) is a free agent. I've heard his name mentioned as a possibility

I'm watching the Eagles fans on here for any solid info but it just doesn't sound like there's a strong indicator in any direction so I'm just guessing. Def don't know their roster that well but I'd guess they don't really have much on practice squad and there's just garbage out there to sign.

Think it's a pipe dream that they'd make some big trade but who knows.

If Clement practices full today he'll be really expensive to get but he doesn't really have a good track record. I'm tempted to stay away from this whole situation and save my FABB for down the road but I have other options and Ajayi was just another guy on my roster.

Only my opinion, but it seems Clement was hurt more severely than we understood at first - which would explain his poor performance when he got the chance initially.  I still think he’s the guy now that Ajayi is out - when he's healthy enough.  Until then, it’s Smallwood.  But when Clement is ready, I do believe he’s the guy to own.  He’s certainly talented enough.

Just my opinion, but I think people may be overvaluing Clement based on his great Super Bowl performance. Foles obviously had a great Super Bowl, too.

Numbers clearly don't always tell the story, but here are Clement's and Smallwood's career stats. Both obviously on a small sample size.

Clement: 19 games, 101 carries, 433 yards, 4.3 YPC; 18 receptions, 197 yards, 10.9 YPR

Smallwood: 26 games, 149 carries, 636 yards, 4.3 YPC; 29 receptions, 254 yards, 8.8 YPR

One non-numerical aspect, of course, is that Clement was slated for a big role this year, while Smallwood was seemingly on the roster bubble.  Fast forward to today, perhaps things have changed and Smallwood is back in good graces - who knows.

I guess we can only guess until both are healthy - and then you have Sproles in the mix potentially as well.

I'm watching the Eagles fans on here for any solid info but it just doesn't sound like there's a strong indicator in any direction so I'm just guessing. Def don't know their roster that well but I'd guess they don't really have much on practice squad and there's just garbage out there to sign.

Think it's a pipe dream that they'd make some big trade but who knows.

If Clement practices full today he'll be really expensive to get but he doesn't really have a good track record. I'm tempted to stay away from this whole situation and save my FABB for down the road but I have other options and Ajayi was just another guy on my roster.
Yup I'm passing for my squad

As a Clement owner, I am tempted to sell and see what I can get. I think I can get 2 2nd Round Rookie Picks for him.  Player wise I don't think I can get much.  I also own Bell.  IF IF IF Bell goes to PHI, Clement then would become nothing. Do you roll the dice and deal Clement or stash him (picked him off waivers before week 1) 

Repeating my comment in the Eagles Backfield thread, this could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for. Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

Repeating my comment in the Eagles Backfield thread, this could go just like last year's Wentz injury. Set off a frenzy of speculation and (false) rumors about who the Eagles would sign/trade for. Eagles were "Thanks, but we're good."

yes. just like last year... except for that whole "this injury actually occurred a month before the trade deadline, not a month after" part.

Bell will not go to the Eagles. 90% sure he won't fit under their cap number given current roster.  Maybe something very creative, but I don't think so.    

WIVB Buffalo's Josh Reed reports the Eagles have "reached out" to the Bills about acquiring LeSean McCoy.

This move would make a lot of sense. In the middle of a rebuild, the Bills do not need to pay a 30-year-old running back for the next two seasons, but it makes a lot of sense for an Eagles squad which is in the middle of their championship window and just lost Jay Ajayi for the season. McCoy did not leave Philly on the best terms way back in 2015, but Chip Kelly is long gone. Although it could take him some time to settle in, McCoy's fantasy value would get a big boost if he was traded to the Eagles...or really anywhere else. Oct 9 - 12:31 PM

Source: Josh Reed on Twitter

Think I'm retracting my waiver bid for Smallwood.  They obviously are going for a RB to carry the load over Clement and Smallwood.  Tells you what they feel about the situation.  And you know what?  This actually makes sense.

WIVB Buffalo's Josh Reed reports the Eagles have "reached out" to the Bills about acquiring LeSean McCoy.

Source: Josh Reed on Twitter

Think I'm retracting my waiver bid for Smallwood.  They obviously are going for a RB to carry the load over Clement and Smallwood.  Tells you what they feel about the situation.
I'd believe it more coming from Eric Moulds.

How would Bell mess up their cap for next year?  He can only be signed for 2018'
Bell would undoubtedly cost a draft pick(s).  With a big contract for Wentz looming, giving away a high pick for Bell will hurt them in their ability to assemble cheap talent around (presumably) one of the highest paid players in the game. 

If Wentz is who the Eagles think he is....he'll have multiple windows to win; as long as they don't break the bank on other players until they absolutely need to. 

Bell, to me, is a guy who'd be better suited going to a good contending team who is coming to the end of a run for a franchise QB.....a team maybe like GB, BAL or PIT.

Users who are viewing this thread