What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles Backfield Now? - Jay Ajayi to IR (3 Viewers)

Not sure where the opinion that Hyde isn't working out for the Browns is coming from.  He seems to be doing OK, and giving them about what they should have expected.
He's been pretty average (he been getting a ton of volume yes), more average than he was in SF anyways. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping.

To those who watched the game, what is your view?

Smallwood clearly had a better day:

9/32/0 on ground and 2/5/0 receiving off of 2 targets.

Clement had a pitiful 8/6/0 on the ground and 2/16/0 off of 2 targets.

What gives here? Smallwood was utilized way more but the entire running backfield seemed to soil the bed. Was CAR run D dominant? Was the running game simply not getting it done or was the team really leaning to pass all game (and why)?

How do we feel about this backfield now? Coming out of last week it seemed an RBBC that clearly favored Clement; today reads the opposite.

Any insight? I own Clement and thinking if it’s going to be so variable and unpredictable game to game I should have dropped him for Mack’s upside last week, or look to dump him for Richard next waiver period.

And if this was gamescript dependent, what does that teach us (if anything) about how/when (if at all) to use these backs?

What say you, Eagles’ Faithful and those who watched the game or own a piece of this backfield?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
What gives here? Smallwood was utilized way more but the entire running backfield seemed to soil the bed. Was CAR run D dominant? Was the running game simply not getting it done or was the team really leaning to pass all game (and why)?

How do we feel about this backfield now? Coming out of last week it seemed an RBBC that clearly favored Clement; today reads the opposite.

Any insight? I own Clement and thinking if it’s going to be so variable and unpredictable game to game I should have dropped him for Mack’s upside last week, or look to dump him for Richard next waiver period.
Clement was not getting it done between the tackles due to the DL Short & LB Kuechly  - they stuffed anything up the middle.  Smallwood was doing most of his damage around the edge where they could get the corner set.  They averaged < 2.5 ypc against a Top 10 CAR Run Def.

From what I saw, with no pounder RM (Blount/Ajayi type), their ground game became predictable and they did more pass attacking, but they don't have the WR1 to target.  Philly was shutting down Olsen all game (except his game winning TD late).  He was 2 for 5 targets with only 5 yards, but a TD.  

Thinking out loud - I wonder if Philly asked about Hyde too?  They must be thinking they need a GL/Short yardage RB or maybe they want Josh Adams to evolve into that role?  I know they >60% pass but they could not run.  IMO, they need a RB.  

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Bumping.

To those who watched the game, what is your view?

Smallwood clearly had a better day:

9/32/0 on ground and 2/5/0 receiving off of 2 targets.

Clement had a pitiful 8/6/0 on the ground and 2/16/0 off of 2 targets.

And if this was gamescript dependent, what does that teach us (if anything) about how/when (if at all) to use these backs?

What say you, Eagles’ Faithful and those who watched the game or own a piece of this backfield?
Avoid.  But between the 3 (incl. Josh Adams), Smallwood seems to have the most upside.  Until you start Smallwood, then Clement goes off.  Or Adams.

Eagles backfield is a dumpster fire.  Coaching staff is committed to the pass first and RBBC approach.  It doesn't matter who performs well last week as it will be RBBC next week.   Add in a little Sproles and Adams to make matters worse.

i knew it was screwed this past week when i saw adams so early getting carries.  thinking about just dropping clement.  little value imo

i knew it was screwed this past week when i saw adams so early getting carries.  thinking about just dropping clement.  little value imo
Replace Smallwood for Clement and I'm right with you. I just don't see much value for the other even if Clement or Smallwood got hurt.

As noted above, I have a feeling that we're going to see more of Adams in the future on early downs.

Replace Smallwood for Clement and I'm right with you. I just don't see much value for the other even if Clement or Smallwood got hurt.

As noted above, I have a feeling that we're going to see more of Adams in the future on early downs.
Previous Smallwood owner.... gave up on this mess last week.

Going forward: I liked the raw talent Josh Adams brought during preseason, but again, that was vanilla defense in preseason.   I think they might be looking for him as SL/GL RB role - or maybe even just between the tackle runner.  He is a local boy who went to Notre Dame.  He had reasonable stats at ND (>3200 yards 6.7+ ypc avg, 20 TD plus 41 rec in 3 years).  He has good size 6'2" was showing strong legs in preseason.  His college stats @ ESPN

With Sproles returning, Clement & Smallwood not getting the job done, what is the harm is seeing if Josh Adams has more than preseason level skill? 

Clement was not getting it done between the tackles due to the DL Short & LB Kuechly  - they stuffed anything up the middle.  Smallwood was doing most of his damage around the edge where they could get the corner set.  They averaged < 2.5 ypc against a Top 10 CAR Run Def.

From what I saw, with no pounder RM (Blount/Ajayi type), their ground game became predictable and they did more pass attacking, but they don't have the WR1 to target.  Philly was shutting down Olsen all game (except his game winning TD late).  He was 2 for 5 targets with only 5 yards, but a TD.  

Thinking out loud - I wonder if Philly asked about Hyde too?  They must be thinking they need a GL/Short yardage RB or maybe they want Josh Adams to evolve into that role?  I know they >60% pass but they could not run.  IMO, they need a RB.  
I remover reading one of the Philly coaches saying, when Ajayi got hurt, that they saw Clement as more of their pounder...it looks like he was unsuccessful Sunday at that role...

I remover reading one of the Philly coaches saying, when Ajayi got hurt, that they saw Clement as more of their pounder...it looks like he was unsuccessful Sunday at that role...
To be honest, DT Kawan Short/Dontario Poe plus MLB Luke Kuechely are pretty solid Run Stoppers.  CAR Run Def is Top 10  (Top 6 to RB Fantasy point allowed) and if you take away the Week 2 Coleman long run (48?) they give up < 85 ypg.  So Eagles getting 58 is not abnormal.  

Maybe this was not a good test of Clement's "pounder" role... JAX Run Def is not Top 15, but they are stingy to RB's fantasy points (Top 10) and the rest of the schedule looks worse for the Run Game...I will not be looking to pick up any Philly RB unless there is some "Bell" tunes!   I am not sure McCoy could flourish in this offense.  

Users who are viewing this thread