What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles fans give it to Mrs. C... (1 Viewer)

Franknbeans

Footballguy
-- Culpepper's Wife Mistreated at Eagles Game --Tue Jan 18, 2005 --from FFMastermind.comThe Star Tribune reports Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper's wife, Kim, apparently was the target of vociferous and profane heckling Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. Eventually, Eagles security official intervened to protect her. Monday, the quarterback was visibly angry about the situation and said: "They are lucky I wasn't up there." "Fans everywhere have to realize that the fight should be on the field," he added. "Nobody should have to go through the stuff my wife did from the fans Sunday. ... Yelling at players is one thing. When you start throwing beer, spitting on people ... that's how people get hurt. Lord knows, if I had been up there, somebody really would have gotten hurt."

Oakland or Philly....Which are the bigger a-holes???I feel bad for the normal fan in Philly, they get lumped in with the 20-30% fans who are no better then a pile of dogcrap. You know the ones who get all the press...

Vikings fans take a beating in Philly, too Paul Levy, Star Tribune January 17, 2005 PHILLY0117 PHILADELPHIA -- Rough game. But maybe a rougher crowd.The Minnesota Vikings lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 27-14 Sunday -- ending the Vikings' playoff hopes and season. But all the mother of Vikings lineman Chris Liwienski could talk about was how she and her family were physically abused by fans in the upper deck of Lincoln Financial Field.Wearing one of her son's purple Vikings jerseys, Marie Hoppe said she was pushed repeatedly by hostile Philadelphia fans. Her daughter-in-law, Christina Liwienski, said she was hit in the head by a plastic beer bottle."We were warned that Philadelphia fans would be rough, the worst in the league, and my son begged me not to wear this jersey," said Hoppe, of suburban Detroit. "Fans are supposed to come to games, not thugs. But these people had their hands on me constantly. "What are these people doing at sporting events like this?"The announced crowd of 67,722 seemed determined to enhance a well-earned reputation as the National Football League's crudest. But the Eagles -- the top seed and class of the National Football Conference -- didn't really need any extra help against a Vikings team that finished the season 9-9 and looked every bit like the conference's lowest playoff seed.With Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb dissecting the Minnesota secondary early and passing for two touchdowns, and facing a tough Philadelphia defense, the Vikings looked very much like a team that lost four of its final five regular season games and not like a team that upset the Packers in Green Bay in the playoffs' first round."Giving up 21 points in the first half doesn't help," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said.Obnoxious and hostileThe Vikings offered their fans hope when quarterback Daunte Culpepper's 7-yard touchdown run in the second quarter cut the Eagles' lead to 14-7."We still have a chance," Marie Hoppe said during the third quarter.But she and her family had long given up on the Eagles fans. Joe Liwienski, Chris' 22-year-old brother, said he attended the "basketbrawl" game in Auburn Hills, Mich., where members of the Indiana Pacers exchanged punches with Detroit Pistons fans."This was 10 times worse," he said."The fans were obnoxious," Chris Liwienski said from the Vikings locker room. "They were chanting stuff to Randy [Moss] throughout the game. You expect that, but you don't expect them to abuse people in the stands trying to enjoy the game."The few fans who came to the game wearing Vikings purple were greeted by a boisterous and hostile crowd that began sharpening their fangs in parking lots near the stadium at 6 a.m., presumably stirring their alcoholic beverages with rusty nails.Mike Hughes, 39, of Excelsior, wearing a purple Randy Moss jersey on his back and his heart on his sleeve, walked right through the Eagles crowd that hurled obscenities and promised to throw even more at him."Batteries," he said. "They're threatening to throw batteries."I went to all but three Vikings road games this year," Hughes said. "I can tell you that Green Bay is nothing like this."Scott Bain, 33, also wearing a Moss jersey, said he "never felt so lonely" as he walked briskly through a parking lot crowded with Eagles fans chanting obscenities and holding "Jacksonville or Bust" signs. "We had upper deck seats, but we got so many warnings about what might happen to us that we sold them and bought club level seats on the street," said Bain, formerly of Anoka and now a lawyer in Washington, D.C. "We were told it was safer there."Said Steve Beckman, 47, of New Brighton, in a well-worn (but not yet battered) Moss jersey: "They warned us not to wear this attire, but we didn't listen. I even rode the subway here."They told us that if the Vikings win, we'd better take a cab home, for our own protection.""We still better watch out for batteries," said Jimmy Bahnson, 22, of Fridley, wearing a Culpepper jersey.Philadelphia, which has lost the three previous conference title games, will try again next Sunday against Atlanta. "How many disappointments can Philadelphia fans take?" asked John Groses, 74, of Media, Pa."This city's been through hell with its sports teams," said Tom Jones, of Milton, Del., whose bus is painted Eagles green, has Eagles logos in every window and has become a pregame meeting place for Eagles cheerleaders, fans and anyone looking for a photo opportunity or to commiserate."We gear ourselves up for these games, but the worst has happened so many times."The worst happened in the upper deck, in the corner of the end zone, Chris Liwienski said."I tried to warn them," he said of his family. "It's like these fans have hit a new low." :thumbdown:

I'm not going to comment on the fans that assulted an old woman and threw stuff at people. We know those people are beyond help. I will say though, that it's INCREDIBLY stupid to wear an opposing team's jersey when you come to the Linc, especially in a playoff atmosphere where everyone's emotions are running a thousand miles a minute. Should it be that way? No, of course not, but it is.I'm a Bear's fan who lives in Philly country and I've NEVER worn a Bears jersey to and Eagles game.

Even I'll admit that we have an unsually high concentration of morons that attend our games...But you also have to be a moron to have a jersey of the Vikes on knowing that this is the case.

Even I'll admit that we have an unsually high concentration of morons that attend our games...But you also have to be a moron to have a jersey of the Vikes on knowing that this is the case.
I'm sorry, but I disagree here. This is a (supposed) civilized society, and who we root for should not get us into trouble.This is akin to saying the girl wearing the miniskirt was raped becasue she was asking for it by wearing the miniskirt.Unacceptable.

Everyone warned them not to wear the jersey to the game, but they all didn't listen and got just what everyone warned them about. I hate to hear stories like this, but it has become part of the Eagles fans mentality. It's an intimidation factor. Personally, I feel that it's one thing to hurl an obsenity here and there, but when you start to use physical intimidation that's a different story. I had Vikings fans next to me most of the game, but since they didn't wear a jersey and didn't try to fire up the crowd, nothing came of it. It's been said before, a few nasty, drunk fans give us all a bad name.

:bag: Very disappointed to hear of such tales...my section had no such issues, but certainly we saw a few scuffles occur at different spots. :bag:

I'm just wondering what she was doing in the stands with the common folk.Don't the players' wives usually end up in a luxury box?Or is that just for the home team?

-- Culpepper's Wife Mistreated at Eagles Game --Tue Jan 18, 2005 --from FFMastermind.comThe Star Tribune reports Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper's wife, Kim, apparently was the target of vociferous and profane heckling Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. Eventually, Eagles security official intervened to protect her. Monday, the quarterback was visibly angry about the situation and said: "They are lucky I wasn't up there." "Fans everywhere have to realize that the fight should be on the field," he added. "Nobody should have to go through the stuff my wife did from the fans Sunday. ... Yelling at players is one thing. When you start throwing beer, spitting on people ... that's how people get hurt. Lord knows, if I had been up there, somebody really would have gotten hurt."
:honda:

Its a shame fans/relatives of opposing teams can't openly cheer for their team. Rude behavior is never acceptable. However, to say it is limited to Philly is ignorant. OK, so some fans were harassed. Thankfully we've never had anything as severe as this go on (to my knowledge) at an Eagles game:

When the Chargers beat the Jacksonville Jaguars at Qualcomm Stadium on Oct. 10, three Chargers fans beat a Jaguars fan unconscious in front of dozens of people. The victim, a 23-year-old sailor from Imperial Beach, declined to talk about the beating, but has recovered enough to return to work. The three men accused of the crime pleaded not guilty and are awaiting trial.

In June 2003, after a Padres game at Qualcomm Stadium, 22-year-old Jeremy Lindsay was beaten into a coma in the parking lot. The cable installer from Mission Valley died seven weeks later.

After a Dodgers-Giants baseball game last season, a dispute over team loyalties left one man dead in the Dodgers Stadium parking lot. The year before, a man was stabbed to death at Anaheim's ballpark after the Angels won the World Series.

In 2000, a Raiders fan stabbed Chargers ticket holder Daniel Napier of La Mesa in his lip, head and rib cage as Napier left Qualcomm Stadium. According to court records, the man convicted of the stabbing verbally harassed and threatened Napier through most of the game, which Oakland won 15-13.

San Diego

Darlene Brunsberg, Minneapolis: After making my home in Green Bay for 10 years and then returning to my home state of Minnesota, I find it a bit unnerving to go out in public with my “Joe Packer” sweatshirt, AND, heaven forbid, wearing my Packers Super Bowl sweatshirt out in the trenches (but, I do). My son, being younger and less “mature” in these life scenarios, finds it very difficult to remain in a room full of Viking fans at friends and relatives houses during a game and still keep his cool. (Once a Packers fan, always a Packers fan…it’s just a fact.) It amazes me how much emotion is placed on these games, to a point of physical brawls and worse. Come on folks, it’s only a game! (yeah, right!) Gotta love it.

Brad Cantleberry, Motley, Minn.: I have been a faithful Vikings fan over the years, 41 to be exact, although when Green Bay last won the Super Bowl, my teenage son fell and bumped his head and insisted that I buy him a Brett Favre jersey. So my wife and I spent the $300 on an authentic signed jersey, with home colors, of course. A few years ago when the Vikings did in the Pack on Monday night (Randy Moss) I wore the Favre jersey that day (before the game). I have to tell you I found out what hatred is. They made me turn it inside out or go under the knife. On Sunday, I’ll be wearing number 10 (Tarkenton) but I’ll have Brett close by. I’m sure I’ll need him by the end of the game.

PackersVikings

And there's some good stories here about the "class" of some more fans:

RedSoxYankees

The Star Tribune reports Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper's wife, Kim, apparently was the target of vociferous and profane heckling Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. Eventually, Eagles security official intervened to protect her. Monday, the quarterback was visibly angry about the situation and said: "They are lucky I wasn't up there." "Fans everywhere have to realize that the fight should be on the field," he added. "Nobody should have to go through the stuff my wife did from the fans Sunday. ... Yelling at players is one thing. When you start throwing beer, spitting on people ... that's how people get hurt. Lord knows, if I had been up there, somebody really would have gotten hurt."

Culpepper would've gone "Artest" on the unruly fans. This just goes to show that there is a big problem relating to what fans say and do and get away with without punishment.

Culpepper would've gone "Artest" on the unruly fans. This just goes to show that there is a big problem relating to what fans say and do and get away with without punishment.
Umm... Defending your wife from verbal and physical abuse is way different that the Artest thing.Also, there are enough cameras and security that people throwing beer, physically assaulting people, etc. should be jailed, tickets revoked, and banned from the stadium. The fact that the Eagle's organizations doesn't do this is pathetic.As for anyone saying that the fans are asking for it, I've worn Browns gear to Steeler's and Ravens games (Browns won both games, those were the days) and had no issues except some friendly banter. What happens with Eagles fans and a disgrace and should be stopped.

As for anyone saying that the fans are asking for it, I've worn Browns gear to Steeler's and Ravens games (Browns won both games, those were the days) and had no issues except some friendly banter. What happens with Eagles fans and a disgrace and should be stopped.
It should be stopped all over. Not just in Philly. Hey, at least Swoop (the Eagles mascot) isn't promoting violence:One galling thing I saw was a skit involving the Jaguars mascot. They sent the mascot and two people dressed in Steelers jerseys onto the field. The mascot then body slammed the two people and started kicking them. Obviously it was fake, but I think it was completely inappropriate considering the problems with violence in sports that we've had in the past weeks. It was almost uncanny, the announcer had got done just 5 minutes earlier reminding people that fighting was prohibited.classyjagsorganization

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: F*** it, I'm tired of defending our fans and explaining past incidents.We hate Santa Claus, Donovan McNabb, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Kobe, Destiny's Child, children, puppies, the easter bunny, smurfs, Snarf from the Thundercats, that guy that does the traffic reports during the game... and especially you. (Did I miss anyone?)Come to the Linc and root for another team and we'll beat the hell out of you with batteries, baseball bats, beer bottles, blackjacks, whitejacks, Slim Jims, and then make you eat green Pop Rocks and Bird's Brew until your head explodes. We will then dance over your corpse and sing Fly Eagles Fly. You have now been warned.Happy now? :rolleyes:

LOLLast week, in defense of superpunk Randy Moss, some Viking fans were all over the horrible treatment they and their players recieve in Green Bay. The worst place to visit in sports they said, "racists" they shouted, dangerous brawling drunken thugs. Of course anybody who has ever been to Lambeau knows what horse hockey these Vikes fans were selling. Anybody who viewed the game on T.V. and saw fans in Vikes jerseys sitting in harmony right next to packer fans knew it was all B.S. Now, only a week later they want to hang to tag on Eagles fans. My question: Even if true aren't the allegations tired and indicted by the fans who cry wolf.

:bag: Very disappointed to hear of such tales...my section had no such issues, but certainly we saw a few scuffles occur at different spots. :bag:
Come on, Woodrow. A guy in your section told me he saw you pants an 80-year old man in a Vikings hat, then remove the hat, dump beer over his head, and put the hat back on him. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, Woodrow. A guy in your section told me he saw you pants an 80-year old man in a Vikings hat, then remove the hat, dump beer over his head, and put the hat back on him. ;)
That was because he caught him throwing s*** away in the trashcan in the bathroom during halftime.

You heard wrong. It was not 'dump beer', but 'beer dump'.

Umm... Defending your wife from verbal and physical abuse is way different that the Artest thing.
It doesn't matter why he would do it, the act would still be done. At least that's how I see it. An excuse for committing a crime is still a crime.

Culpepper would've gone "Artest" on the unruly fans.  This just goes to show that there is a big problem relating to what fans say and do and get away with without punishment.
Umm... Defending your wife from verbal and physical abuse is way different that the Artest thing.
It doesn't matter why he would do it, the act would still be done. At least that's how I see it. An excuse for committing a crime is still a crime.
Defense of a third party is a valid legal defense.

there are enough cameras and security that people throwing beer, physically assaulting people, etc. should be jailed, tickets revoked, and banned from the stadium. The fact that the Eagle's organizations doesn't do this is pathetic.
I think this is the broader point. People from Philly treat this like "Yeah, that's too bad. . . but you know Philly."If the franchise had any inclination to make their games safer for everyone to attend (and to change their rotten reputation), they have the capacity to do so. The fact that they don't speaks volumes.This stuff has no place in sports--unless you're an English soccer thug.

I'm just wondering what she was doing in the stands with the common folk.Don't the players' wives usually end up in a luxury box?Or is that just for the home team?
The Linc Ticket Coordinator was on local tv yesterday talking about this situation. The Eagles are one of the only (and maybe the only) NFL teams that give the same section of seats to the opposing team's family. All the regular Eagles season ticket holders in that surrounding area know which section that is, and that everyone in that section is a family member or friend of the players from the visiting team. Probably not hard to pick out the trophy wives and harass them if you were drunk enough and really wanted to.And about the "not wearing an opposing jersey" and "miniskirt" comparison. No way is that even close. I don't care what stadium, arena, park you go into, you're taking a chance by wearing opposition colors or jerseys, unless you are a traveling with a couple hundred fans who are rooting for the same team you are. Anyone who lives in a town that allows opposing jerseys to be worn into their stadium without harassing those people, would not be considered a football town if you ask me. I know anytime Baltimore hosts a home game there are thousands of opposing fans there from places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland rooting for those teams. That says something about how loyal your cities fans are. Philadelphia does not have that problem, and I'm proud of that just like I'm proud of our fans.

Culpepper would've gone "Artest" on the unruly fans.  This just goes to show that there is a big problem relating to what fans say and do and get away with without punishment.
I don't think the "But he was saying hurtfull things to my wife" defense is going to hold up very well.

The Linc Ticket Coordinator was on local tv yesterday talking about this situation. The Eagles are one of the only (and maybe the only) NFL teams that give the same section of seats to the opposing team's family. All the regular Eagles season ticket holders in that surrounding area know which section that is, and that everyone in that section is a family member or friend of the players from the visiting team. Probably not hard to pick out the trophy wives and harass them if you were drunk enough and really wanted to.And about the "not wearing an opposing jersey" and "miniskirt" comparison. No way is that even close. I don't care what stadium, arena, park you go into, you're taking a chance by wearing opposition colors or jerseys, unless you are a traveling with a couple hundred fans who are rooting for the same team you are. Anyone who lives in a town that allows opposing jerseys to be worn into their stadium without harassing those people, would not be considered a football town if you ask me. I know anytime Baltimore hosts a home game there are thousands of opposing fans there from places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland rooting for those teams. That says something about how loyal your cities fans are. Philadelphia does not have that problem, and I'm proud of that just like I'm proud of our fans.
Where exactly did you explain the difference between the miniskirt and opposing fan sceanrios, because I didn't see it.It's a PERFECT example. You shouldn't have to worry about wearing a miniskirt anywhere in America (well, I'd worry a little if I were wearing one but I digress), and you shouldn't have to worry about wearing opposing "colors" at a fricken football game.Would I expect some harrassment? Sure, that's part of the fun, but I would NOT expect to have bottle thrown at me etc. There's a line, and it sure seems like Philly fans cross it more than most.I'm sures there are similar problem at other stadiums from time to time, but it sure seems like there are CONSISTENTLY problems in Philly.

The NFL actually has a rich history of events such as these. A referee was once hit in the head and bloodied by a whiskey bottle in 1975 during a Minnesota Vikings game. Then on Monday Night Football, 100 fans were arrested at a New England Patriots game in 1980 and in 1988, five brawls broke out at Giants Stadium as Jets fans set fire to the place. In 1994, some impressive statistics were accumulated at a L.A. Rams-L.A Raiders game. At least 26 fights broke out, 14 people arrested, and 55 were thrown out of the stadium.

1995 then brings of back to Giants Stadium. 175 fans were ejected for throwing snowballs and 15 people were arrested. Among the 15 people injured in the incident was an equipment manager who was knocked unconscious. Then in 2000, a Chargers fan was actually stabbed and killed by a Raiders fan after a game in San Diego.

Surely you can think of many other instances such as these where violent spectators are at their worst. Granted, acts this malicious do not happen often, but it does seem like not a day passes without some kind of violent outburst at a sporting event.

Just look back at the last year in sports. Fans have managed to construct a grotesque collage of violent acts at football, basketball, and baseball games. Last December, Cleveland Browns fans showered their team, the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars, officials, and everyone else on the field with a barrage of early Christmas gifts. Various debris, including many full beer bottles, littered the field after a controversial game-deciding call by an official.

But the actions of the fans were not the most disturbing part of the day. The comments of Browns owner Al Lerner and president Carmen Policy following the impromptu bottle toss were absolutely unacceptable. Policy said, “I think a lot has happened. The fans’ hearts have been ripped out… I like the fact that our fans care.” Sure, nothing says, “I care” like a half-empty, plastic bottle of beer to the head ­ at least it cost them $3 a piece.

Lerner stepped up in the clutch though and put Policy’s statements to shame. He said, “I think everyone controlled themselves considering they spent 60 minutes out in cold weather…It wasn’t World War III.”

no mention of philly here?? wtf

"Classy" Carmen Policy, eh?

And about the "not wearing an opposing jersey" and "miniskirt" comparison. No way is that even close. I don't care what stadium, arena, park you go into, you're taking a chance by wearing opposition colors or jerseys, unless you are a traveling with a couple hundred fans who are rooting for the same team you are. Anyone who lives in a town that allows opposing jerseys to be worn into their stadium without harassing those people, would not be considered a football town if you ask me. I know anytime Baltimore hosts a home game there are thousands of opposing fans there from places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland rooting for those teams. That says something about how loyal your cities fans are. Philadelphia does not have that problem, and I'm proud of that just like I'm proud of our fans.
You my friend, are a moron

I'm sorry, but I disagree here. This is a (supposed) civilized society, and who we root for should not get us into trouble.This is akin to saying the girl wearing the miniskirt was raped becasue she was asking for it by wearing the miniskirt.Unacceptable.
WHile I don't condone the behavior that was described,there is responsibility that should always be placed on the individual.... I wouldn't drive through LA with a sign that read "I hate Mexicans and Blacks"... it just wouldn't be prudent. WHat you don't hear is how many FU's the Vikings fans yelled.... you don't know the circumstances, so your position is baseless... I have attended Phila games and sometimes the fans are idiots, but I have a hard time believing that the fan base in philly is any worse or any better than the typical fan base of other NFL teams....As for Culpepper's comments, while deserved, there is no reason to perpetuate the whole thing... but I don't really fault him THAT much.

Whenever -- and wherever -- appalling BS like this goes on, the home team and its fans should be ashamed and embarrassed.The fact that it happens with such regularity in Philly should make the Eagles fans the most ashamed and embarrassed of all.The fact that a subset of Eagles fans takes pride in this disgraceful reputation is absolutely repugnant.

Did you expect respect from fans who will boo Santa Claus?
Do you even know the story behind this? I doubt it.They put some drunk college kid in a santa suit and he went on the field - the fans boo'd because he was a joke AND they were pissed at the team for winning that day against the Vikings (i believe) because it cost them the #1 pick and OJ Simpson.

I have attended Phila games and sometimes the fans are idiots, but I have a hard time believing that the fan base in philly is any worse or any better than the typical fan base of other NFL teams....
Didn't the Vet have a courtroom inside the stadium to deal with drunken enraged fans? I think you are a little out of touch if you don't recognize that Philly fans are extreme....not alone, but extreme.

I don't think the "But he was saying hurtfull things to my wife" defense is going to hold up very well.
Correct.But, I still wouldn't blame him. There is a difference, if not legally, then morally.

No, but the spitting and beer throwing would probably add more credence to Culpepper dismantling a few fans.

No, but the spitting and beer throwing would probably add more credence to Culpepper dismantling a few fans.

I read that as Daunte's comment, not as what happened.

At least that's the way the original post reads, if you have other info, share it.

Anyone who lives in a town that allows opposing jerseys to be worn into their stadium without harassing those people, would not be considered a football town if you ask me. I know anytime Baltimore hosts a home game there are thousands of opposing fans there from places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland rooting for those teams. That says something about how loyal your cities fans are. Philadelphia does not have that problem, and I'm proud of that just like I'm proud of our fans.
Thanks for giving the smart, educated Eagles fans a bad name with this stupid post. Keep up the good work

WHile I don't condone the behavior that was described,there is responsibility that should always be placed on the individual.... I wouldn't drive through LA with a sign that read "I hate Mexicans and Blacks"... it just wouldn't be prudent.
Being a football fan of the opposing team should NEVER be equated with being a racist!!! This is a very dumb analogy - even worse than the miniskirt post

WHile I don't condone the behavior that was described,there is responsibility that should always be placed on the individual.... I wouldn't drive through LA with a sign that read "I hate Mexicans and Blacks"... it just wouldn't be prudent.
Being a football fan of the opposing team should NEVER be equated with being a racist!!! This is a very dumb analogy - even worse than the miniskirt post
Agreed in part. "I hate Mexicans and Blacks" is a person saying they hate people. Wearing a Vikings jersey does not mean one hates Philly fans. First is a stupid racist who needs to get beaten. The second is a fan at a game who need to be left alone aside from some sarcastic chatter at worse.The mini-skirt analogy is right on. "Asking for it" arguments when nothing is implied in the original action that should invoke such a reaction is moronic.

Let's be honest, when your fans are more notorious than New York fans, you've got a problem. :D Thoughts:The woman talking about bringing her 4 year old to the game in a Viks jersey? You're an idiot. You got what you deserved.Only hearing one side of the story? Very true. I'm sure some of the Viks fans were not exactly saints at the game as well. Although I sort of doubt that Mrs Culpepper started anything. RantOn:Having said that, Philadelphia sports fans, as a generalization, are the most obnoxious ########s I know and I root against them in any and every sport. The harrassment I got as a Bills fan attending Penn State during those Super Bowl loses was amazing. Hey Eagle fans, you've made it to one SB and you got crushed. Yet, for the most part, the Steeler fans were very nice although they had reason to crow with 4 SB wins. To close the rant, I saw a stat on ESPN the other night about 4 or 5 teams making it to 4 straight conference championship games since the merger. Bills? 4-0. Eagles? 0-3. :yes:

Listen ... if I wear my team's jersey in a road stadium I do in fact expect a bit of heckling. In fact, good natured heckling is solid entertainment. However, there is ZERO justification for me to be assaulted unless of course I'm provoking it in some way. I'm sorry, but wearing the jersey is NOT provocation for assault. What amazes me is how many Eagles fans are PROUD of this behavior. This is nothing more than hooliganism. It has no place in the game. The fact that the Eagles organization seems to have little intention of controlling this or preventing it, especially in the wake of the NBA melee is shocking to me. The Eagles appear to be welcoming a personal injury lawsuit with open arms.I went to the Giants-Redskins game a year ago at FedEx Field wearing my G-Men threads. I sat in on a tailgate party hosted by Skins fans. I pretty much traded barbs with the rival fans the entire time but it was all in good fun. Both sides recognized that it was merely entertainment. Sure there were a few knuckleheads who came along and seemed to want to make it personal but by and large everyone was having a good time. I realize every Eagle fan doesn't condone this behavior and there are a**holes in every Stadium but it shocks me that there appears to be a very large contingent of Eagle fans who are more than happy to perpetuate this image!

in '95 I was at a Philly/Blackhawks game in Chicago and was wearing my favorite Philly jersey.I was in the 2nd row and got heckled by a few people behind me throughout the game (I expected it), but the Blackhawks fan sitting next to me looked at me midway thru the 2nd period and told me the most profound statement I've heard at a sporting event:"You, you're fine. You know when to cheer, you know what team you're cheering for. It may not be 'my' team, but we all can't like the same team. BUT the real enemy is those corporate f****rs who sit in the row in front of us that come in during the middle of the 2nd period, in the middle of the action, that don't know when to cheer or who to cheer for, then leave with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd to avoid traffic. They wouldn't know a cross-check if Chelios came over the glass and did it himself. THOSE are the real enemy, we're just fans and you're cool with me in my book."All this with some corporate suit with his family walking in front of us in the middle of the action.I wish more people had that attitude.

What's really funny is that EVERY time something like this happens in Philly, all 70,000 times, someone on here always says "I have a hard time believing that the fan base in philly is any worse or any better than the typical fan base of other NFL teams"...or the usual "it's a shame the normal Philly fan gets lumped in with the odd-ball trouble-makers", etc., etc. EVERY time. All 70,000 times. Routinely, after every home game. If it happens once...it's not typical. Twice...it's a shame. Repeatedly...you've got yourself a pattern there, genius.

You guys don't know the half of it. In Philly we make a habit of quietly killing about a dozen fans of the opposing team each game and then using them for the cheesesteaks at the concession stands. Not only do we use them for the meat but we grind their bones to make the rolls. (Amaroso actually means "from the bones of the infidel dead")The cops and the judge at the Linc are in on it too. Why do you think you only hear about Eagles fans that have to go in front of the judge? Because the fans of opposing teams go in and disappear!... never to return to the outside or be heard from again... unless that is, in the form of a cheesesteak fart.

Users who are viewing this thread