What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles make deal with Gaffney (1 Viewer)

There weren't really any impact WRs out there in FA this year so I can't blame the Eagles too much for not spending a lot there this season.
Isaac Bruce, David Givens, Randle-El, Keyshawn Johnson, Ike Hilliard, Joe Jeruvicious, Brandon Lloyd, Koren Robinson, Josh Reed, Ricky Proehl, Troy Brown, Peter Warrick, Rod Gardner, Troy Brown? Not all marquee names but is there any one of those guys you wouldnt start over Todd Pinkston?Then there are a bunch of guys that they could get for nothin but i would still rather see than Jabar Gaffney:

Reche Caldwell, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, Eddie Drummond, Randy Hymes, Charles Lee, Kelly Washington.

I guess my point is if you insist on running with #3/#4 WRs every year, why not at least switch them up and try to strike some gold? It costs you little and at least there is some hope somebody will break out. Is there any realistic hope Pinkston or Mitchell (or Gaffney) are going to be top 20 receivers?
Confusing list. Rod Gardner Josh Reed, Ricky Proehl, Peter Warrick and Troy Brown are better than Antonio Bryant and Kevin Curtis?

Maybe they will go after Moulds.
They'd better not...
Why?
Because this isn't 2002. The Moulds of today is not a threat to defenses and is on the decline.
I have to disagree. He posted solid #'s when Holcomb was at QB last year. Losman isn't a quality QB. McNabb to Moulds has quite a nice ring to it. He would be without a doubt the best receiver on that team by a longshot!!
Moulds' averages for the past 3 seasons:880 yards, 11.4 yards per catch, 3.3 TDs. Those are not anywhere NEAR elite #s.

Will be 33 when the season starts and command a huge salary.

No thanks.

Reggie Brown would be the best WR on the team even if Moulds signed.
You are underestimating Moulds. He may not be elite, but looking at numbers when the OL and QB stink, is not really fair. I know you used the average of the 3 years, but if you watch the guy he still has game. For example, Moulds is a year younger than Harrison and what do you think you would say if Harrison was playing for Buffalo last year? Moulds is still a very good receiver. People incorrectly say he is slowing down, but i say no more than meshaun, Harrison, TO, etc...You would see Moulds excel in Philly and if he were signed, it would be a boost to the offense and he would be the #1 receiver.
Exactly!

Gaffney is probably the person whose production has been hurt the most by the OL/David Carr/ conservative offense situation in Houston. He is very good route runner and has above average hands, but not so much for blocking and yards after the catch. If you look at the games where Andre johnson was out this year he was very productive. As the 2nd WR option in Houston, he got very few looks. IMO, he is better WR than either Pinkston or Greg Lewis and will take over the starting job along side Reggie Brown at some point.
BINGO!!!!. We have a winner. Gaffney is a nice secondary wr and when he had looks he didn't dissapoint. He has great hands and has had a wretched QB who has ZERO skills at viewing the field in Carr. I think he will be a nice addition to the Eagles.

I like this move. Is this a great "fantasy" move, no its not. But its a very good football move.

Reggie Brown looks like he could be the real deal. He had a great 2nd half to the season and had garbage at the QB position. Pinkston like him or not is a legit deep threat. All I care to see him do is run posts and streaks. Gaff fits into this group perfectly IMO and will be a nice combo with RB.

The Eagles love to spread the ball around. They got to 4 NFC championship games (once with TO) and 3 out of those 4 seaons had much worse WRs then they have now.

If the draft a LB, OL, or DT in the first I will be a very happy Eagles fan.

I like this move. Is this a great "fantasy" move, no its not. But its a very good football move.

Reggie Brown looks like he could be the real deal. He had a great 2nd half to the season and had garbage at the QB position. Pinkston like him or not is a legit deep threat. All I care to see him do is run posts and streaks. Gaff fits into this group perfectly IMO and will be a nice combo with RB.

The Eagles love to spread the ball around. They got to 4 NFC championship games (once with TO) and 3 out of those 4 seaons had much worse WRs then they have now.

If the draft a LB, OL, or DT in the first I will be a very happy Eagles fan.
:goodposting:

Gaffney=Fla. WR=no better than average NFL WR(with very few exceptions) :X
That's a nice summary of Spurrier system WR's but he isn't there anymore. Gaffney will catch 70 + balls next year. When AJ was down and Gaff was the WR1 he would come down with 9 catches in a game. You are screwed in a Carr offense if you aren't the first or last option. Carr panics even when there is no pressure and has miserable field vision.

You are underestimating Moulds.  He may not be elite, but looking at numbers when the OL and QB stink, is not really fair.  I know you used the average of the 3 years, but if you watch the guy he still has game.  For example, Moulds is a year younger than Harrison and what do you think you would say if Harrison was playing for Buffalo last year?  Moulds is still a very good receiver.  People incorrectly say he is slowing down, but i say no more than meshaun, Harrison, TO, etc...You would see Moulds excel in Philly and if he were signed, it would be a boost to the offense and he would be the #1 receiver.
Get off the pipe, my man. Harrison>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moulds ever was. Not even the same universe. Harrison's/Owens declining numbers are still Pro Bowl level. Great WRs put up great numbers regardless of their QB (see Owens with Garcia). With all due respect he does NOT have game enough to sign to a multi year contract.
:thumbdown: You swung and missed here. I am not saying Moulds is a better receiver than Harrison, I am saying that if Harrison were in Buffalo last year and Moulds played in Indy people would say that Moulds is a real good receiver rather than he is almost done. The other part is that people are writing Moulds off as old but he is "slowing" because of how bad things were last year. Over the past two years (including the disaster in Buffalo last year) the catches are very close with a 6% yardage advantage for Harrison 174 3607 Moulds

168 3826 harrison

The TD's are a huge advantage for Harrison, but my point is that Moulds still has game and only the fact that he is up in Buffalo on a lousy team keeps people from realizing that. He would be a HUGE asset for Philly.

I would say that this jumps BWest's value. With no one to throw to, I can see lots of dump passes to that shifty little bugger....
and lj smith

:X :wall: Darnerian McCants + Jabar Gaffney all but confirms what I've been saying [unfortunately]. That the Eagles are, once again, content to go with guys like Brown, Lewis and Pinkston and don't view WR as a major position of need.
Yet Andy loves to trow the ball 50 times a game...No, it makes no sense - and I for one am getting very disgusted. :no:

You are underestimating Moulds. He may not be elite, but looking at numbers when the OL and QB stink, is not really fair. I know you used the average of the 3 years, but if you watch the guy he still has game. For example, Moulds is a year younger than Harrison and what do you think you would say if Harrison was playing for Buffalo last year? Moulds is still a very good receiver. People incorrectly say he is slowing down, but i say no more than meshaun, Harrison, TO, etc...You would see Moulds excel in Philly and if he were signed, it would be a boost to the offense and he would be the #1 receiver.
Get off the pipe, my man. Harrison>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moulds ever was. Not even the same universe. Harrison's/Owens declining numbers are still Pro Bowl level. Great WRs put up great numbers regardless of their QB (see Owens with Garcia). With all due respect he does NOT have game enough to sign to a multi year contract.
:thumbdown: You swung and missed here. I am not saying Moulds is a better receiver than Harrison, I am saying that if Harrison were in Buffalo last year and Moulds played in Indy people would say that Moulds is a real good receiver rather than he is almost done. The other part is that people are writing Moulds off as old but he is "slowing" because of how bad things were last year. Over the past two years (including the disaster in Buffalo last year) the catches are very close with a 6% yardage advantage for Harrison 174 3607 Moulds

168 3826 harrison

The TD's are a huge advantage for Harrison, but my point is that Moulds still has game and only the fact that he is up in Buffalo on a lousy team keeps people from realizing that. He would be a HUGE asset for Philly.
Sorry dude, but 10.1 ypc is NOT getting it done. Evans had a much better season last year on that same Buffalo team - nearly the same yardage on 32 fewer catches - and 3 more TDs! Let some other morons give him a multi-year deal. He would be a huge BUST for Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush would probably be the primary slot wr when we are in a 3 wr look so we have AJ and Bush on the field taking the speed guys into their responsibility. What we need is a TE to punish a defense as Johnson and Bush will need constant attention. We don't need anything special outside at WR2 if we take Bush so what the Texans really needs is a TE to work the part of the field they used Gaffney for in the past.

:X :wall: Darnerian McCants + Jabar Gaffney all but confirms what I've been saying [unfortunately]. That the Eagles are, once again, content to go with guys like Brown, Lewis and Pinkston and don't view WR as a major position of need.
Not being an Eagles fan, and not owning McNabb anymore in any leagues, I must say THANK YOU! :D But seriously, I would agree with you on that. When will Philly wake up and realize that collecting #3 or #4 WRs does NOT = strength and cause defenses to fear your so-called pass attack? Did they not learn this with Stinkston, Thrash, etc.? Sure, they were able to make it to the championship game for a few years in a row, but it wasn't on account of their "passing game," that's for sure...

Love him, or hate him, TO brought a whole new dimension to the Eagles passing attack. Defenses HAD to respect him, and it opened other things up and allowed McNabb and company to mix it up. In one year, they were able to finally get over the hurdle and get into the Super Bowl. Too bad TO was a headcase. They could have worked a lot more magic over the years.

But this goes to show that if the Eagles were SERIOUS, and went after a true #1 WR that ISN'T a headcase, they could be right back in the thick of things.

I'm convinced that with the signings that the other NFC East teams have made, Philly will be the basement dwellers this year, unless they make some drastic changes...

:yawn:

Another underwhelming signing by a team with oodles of cap room.

Rumor here in Philly is we're trying to trade for Javon, but a third round pick is holding up the deal. Apparently we don't want to give up that high a pick. :confused: :loco: God forbid we lose such a valuable pick, especially with Reid's track record in the draft. :loco:

:rant: :hot: :rant:

But I guess it doesn't matter the quality of WR's you have when your QB isn't all that good anyway.

Rumor here in Philly is we're trying to trade for Javon, but a third round pick is holding up the deal. Apparently we don't want to give up that high a pick. :confused: :loco: God forbid we lose such a valuable pick, especially with Reid's track record in the draft. :loco:

But I guess it doesn't matter the quality of WR's you have when your QB isn't all that good anyway.
:no: Utterly foolish comments.

Reid's 3rd round picks have been up and down. Moats and Westy good, McMullen and Darilek not so good. Others in the middle. But to be able to get a talent like Walker (assuming he is healthy), I think it would be a fair price.

McCants - roster filler and special teams coverage
actually, Gibbs cut McCants because he played no special teams at all.not to pile on :rolleyes: , but I hear Taylor Jacobs will be available soon

Gaffney = Muhammed circa 2004

He can play and for all those fans down on Gaffney you should jump off hte bandwagon now because the guy can play when given a chance. He put up decent WR2 numbers on a dire team. If he is the WR1 in Philly he could easily see 1,000 yards with a range of 6-12 TDs. As a WR2 in Philly he might only see 700/4, however as a WR1 he could easily put up 1,000/8.

This is a good signing football wise for Philly and for those who are looking for a great "buy low" option at WR... look Gaffney's way... seriously.

Rumor here in Philly is we're trying to trade for Javon, but a third round pick is holding up the deal. Apparently we don't want to give up that high a pick.  :confused:   :loco:   God forbid we lose such a valuable pick, especially with Reid's track record in the draft.  :loco:

:rant:   :hot:   :rant:

Good reply. Except for the sarcastic comment about McNabb, what's so foolish?

Are the Eagles really unwilling to fork over a #3 for Walker?

My God.
Why is that so hard to believe? Culpepper and Faulk were traded for 2nd rounders. Nobody would even give up a 2nd for Edge or Alexander...Draft picks are like GOLD to the NFL teams of today. They know you can get talented players for very little money (outside of the top 15 or so picks) locked up for 3-5 years.

Then there are a bunch of guys that they could get for nothin but i would still rather see than Jabar Gaffney:Reche Caldwell, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, Eddie Drummond, Randy Hymes, Charles Lee, Kelly Washington.
Bryant, sure. I'd take Gaffney over the rest of those names though.

Rumor here in Philly is we're trying to trade for Javon, but a third round pick is holding up the deal. Apparently we don't want to give up that high a pick.  :confused:   :loco:   God forbid we lose such a valuable pick, especially with Reid's track record in the draft.  :loco:

:rant:   :hot:   :rant:

Good reply. Except for the sarcastic comment about McNabb, what's so foolish?
A 3rd round pick IS a valuable pick, especially in today's NFL. Maybe Walker is worth it, maybe he isn't. Reid's track record in the draft (including undrafted free agents) is actually very good when compared to every other team. The Steelers are probably the best, and the Pats are good, but the Eagles aren't far behind at all. ALL teams have their share of busts or players just drafted too high. Imagine if the Eagles chose Chris Chambers instead of Freddie Mitchell in 2001? We wouldn't even be having this conversation.

How about McNabb in 99? Corey Simon in 2000? Derrick Burgess in the 3rd round and Correll Buckhalter in the 4th round in 2001? The 2002 draft of Lito Sheppard in the 1st, Sheldon Brown and Michael Lewis in the 2nd, Brian Westbrook in the 3rd? I loved the trade up for Jerome McDougle in 2003, and it's not their fault the dude has been perpetually hurt/shot. What about LJ Smith that year? Shawn Andrews in 2004? And don't forget about Thomas Tapeh in the 5th round that year - still may prove to be a wise choice. Last year, Mike Patterson, Reggie Brown and Ryan Moats look very very good, Todd Herremans look like a STEAL in the 4th round as does Trent Cole in the 5th.

Since the draft is now only 7 rounds, you have to take into account Undrafted Free Agents as well: Rod Hood, Artis Hicks, Quintin Mikell, Sam Rayburn, Jamaal Jackson, Greg Lewis, etc.? Even guys like Raheem Brock and Jeremy Bridges who were selected by the Eagles but released and caught on with other teams?

Compared to the rest of the league, the Eagles drafts under Reid have been very good. THAT is his track record.

They've actually made lots of effort to bring in a high quality wide receiver. They traded for the best WR in the league in TO. They've spent plenty of high draft picks on receivers including Freddie Mitchell, Brown, and Pinkston. They gave Pinkston a couple years to develope then tried Mitchell. Then they brought in TO. Even with TO already there they drafted Brown. While Mitchell and Pinkston didnt work out to their potential, it doesnt mean Brown wont. Brown has shown much more much sooner than the other projects. Maybe they just really believe he's good. Also, Gaffney is still young for a wide receiver. There's plenty more potential for him to improve. Plus all of this, they might yet go after a proven number 1 like Javon Walker, Keyshawn, Moulds, or someone else.

You cant honestly say they've neglected the position. I'm considering Brown as one of this year's top sleepers. Not because he's all they have. Because he might just be that good.
Brian Billick hasn't "neglected" the QB position in Baltimore by failing to try new things, but it's certainly fair game to question the moves that he, the supposed QB guru, has made and the talent that he's evaluated as being viable there that's failed. So it is with Reid, the supposed offensive mastermind of a pass-first offense, with WR's in Philly. I think Philly's had a great plan and great leadership over the last 7-8 years, but the one area that I always find myself questioning is WR. Even when they signed TO two years ago and finally for the first time brought a legit threat in there at WR, I questioned whether TO would be a good fit for that locker room that had so much unity in it. I just don't understand what they're trying to do at that position.

Question for Eagles fans: I've seen his name mentioned in this thread, always assuming that he'll be playing, but what's exactly the expectation as to Pinkston's role? I have him in a deep PPR league in which we start 3 WR's, so I'm weighing whether to keep him or not.

Question for Eagles fans: I've seen his name mentioned in this thread, always assuming that he'll be playing, but what's exactly the expectation as to Pinkston's role? I have him in a deep PPR league in which we start 3 WR's, so I'm weighing whether to keep him or not.
Going into training camp, the WR's look like WR1 Pinkston , WR2 Brown, WR3(slot) Gaffney and backups Billy McMullen, Greg Lewis, Carl Ford.It seems they're giving Pinkston every opportunity to keep his job as #1 (and who could blame them, I mean its not easy replacing a WR of his caliber).

Question for Eagles fans:  I've seen his name mentioned in this thread, always assuming that he'll be playing, but what's exactly the expectation as to Pinkston's role?  I have him in a deep PPR league in which we start 3 WR's, so I'm weighing whether to keep him or not.
Going into training camp, the WR's look like WR1 Pinkston , WR2 Brown, WR3(slot) Gaffney and backups Billy McMullen, Greg Lewis, Carl Ford.It seems they're giving Pinkston every opportunity to keep his job as #1 (and who could blame them, I mean its not easy replacing a WR of his caliber).
Totally disagree. Even if completely healthy, Pinkston will be #2 at BEST but I doubt that very seriously. Brown and Gaffney will be your starters unless they bring someone else in. I have a feeling Pinkston will be cut before the season starts.

Totally disagree. Even if completely healthy, Pinkston will be #2 at BEST but I doubt that very seriously. Brown and Gaffney will be your starters unless they bring someone else in. I have a feeling Pinkston will be cut before the season starts.
Just going by the Eagles posted depth chart and what I hear on WIP. Depth chart lists the starters as Pinkston/Brown. That may change, but it appears that going into mini camps & training camp, that's the order. Obviously Pinkston/Brown/Gaffney/Lewis will all get significant playing time. Maybe if Brown has a fantastic camp they'll put him ahead of Pinkston, but right now I don't see Reid putting a 2nd year WR in as the #1. And let's face it, the Eagles don't have a true #1 on the roster. They start with #2 and go down from there :wall:

Maybe if Brown has a fantastic camp they'll put him ahead of Pinkston, but right now I don't see Reid putting a 2nd year WR in as the #1.
Brown had more TDs last season than Pinkston had in 2003 and 2004 combined. Brown had more receptions last season than Pinkson ever had in any season, except for 2002. And that is with McMahon and Detmer throwing him the ball for half the year. Combine this with an achilles tear on a speed receiver, and it's not looking good for Pinkston on the roster in 2006.

Just going by the Eagles posted depth chart and what I hear on WIP.
Do yourself a favor and don't rely on either. :thumbup:
Heh, you're right there! But think about it...if Gaffney & Brown emerge as 1 & 2, who goes over the middle from the slot? Certainly not Pinkston or Lewis. McMullen's run out of chances. Word from WIP afternoon guys (Gargano & Missanelli) is that Gaffney was picked up to be the slot receiver.The Eagles run a 3-WR offense, so Pinky, Brown & Gaffney are the starters (right now) no matter how you choose to number them. Like I said before, none of them are a true #1 anyway.

Just going by the Eagles posted depth chart and what I hear on WIP. 
Do yourself a favor and don't rely on either. :thumbup:
Heh, you're right there! But think about it...if Gaffney & Brown emerge as 1 & 2, who goes over the middle from the slot? Certainly not Pinkston or Lewis. McMullen's run out of chances. Word from WIP afternoon guys (Gargano & Missanelli) is that Gaffney was picked up to be the slot receiver.The Eagles run a 3-WR offense, so Pinky, Brown & Gaffney are the starters (right now) no matter how you choose to number them. Like I said before, none of them are a true #1 anyway.
Greg Lewis would take Pinkston's role.

Maybe if Brown has a fantastic camp they'll put him ahead of Pinkston, but right now I don't see Reid putting a 2nd year WR in as the #1.
Brown had more TDs last season than Pinkston had in 2003 and 2004 combined. Brown had more receptions last season than Pinkson ever had in any season, except for 2002. And that is with McMahon and Detmer throwing him the ball for half the year. Combine this with an achilles tear on a speed receiver, and it's not looking good for Pinkston on the roster in 2006.
I hear ya. Please, oh please add a solid WR before camp opens!! Pinkston not on the '06 roster? Food for thought...CBuck is currently the 3rd down back. Chew on that for a minute :popcorn: I love Pinkston other than the fact he short arms passes over the middle and he can't get off the line through a stiff head wind.

Im not an expert on Gaffney at all because I didn't have anyone on the Texans roster so why watch them. Now saying that why do I keep hearing that the reason he put up decent number 2 numbers was because they threw so much having to play from behind. If you look at the stats the Texans are one of the bottom teams in passing attempts every year while the Eagles are one of the top 5 so I expect a much better year for Gaffney not sure about the Eagles.

Think Santonio Holmes would be a reach at #14? I don't think he necessarily would be. To be quite honest, I can't see the Eagles drafting anyone else, really. Their WR corps is reed-thin with Owens gone.

I can't see the Eagles going WR in the first. Too many other needs, particularly on the O and D line and at LB too for that matter. They already have a very good young receiver in Reggie Brown who will hopefully develop into a #1 over the next few seasons. Considering that Mcnabb has 4 or 5 more years of maximum productivity (assuming he stays in good health) I don't think we want the whole WR corps to be developing as that often takes a few years. I think this is why they went after a few vets that they ended up being too cheap to sign. Hopefull Gaffney was signed as a replacement for Pinky and Lewis at the 3 spot and the Eagles still plan to bring in another vet to at least be 1 and 1a with Reggie Brown with Gaffney playing the slot. A number of others here have disagreed, but I think Moulds would be a great fit. I also was very upset that the Eagles did not make a run at Mike Anderson. I think the Eagles are badly in need of a back who can get it done beyween the tackles. Anderson would have been nice as he blocks well and can catch too. Most of all, he was cheap which seem to be Philly's style. Anyway, I do hope they bring someone else in as CBuck needs to be gone right along with Pinky. Re signing Jon Runyan would be a good move too.

Great move by Eagles, it's shows that they realize that they are rebuilding, so why spend cap money on expensive players that will not be around when they are a contender again. :banned:

Gaffney is probably the person whose production has been hurt the most by the OL/David Carr/ conservative offense situation in Houston. He is very good route runner and has above average hands, but not so much for blocking and yards after the catch. If you look at the games where Andre johnson was out this year he was very productive. As the 2nd WR option in Houston, he got very few looks. IMO, he is better WR than either Pinkston or Greg Lewis and will take over the starting job along side Reggie Brown at some point.
I agree. Living in Texas, I've been forced to watch the Texans games and he wasn't horrible this year. He'll never be a Top 15 WR, but I like him a LOT more than Pinkston (who reminds me of Mr. Glass).I think this will be a good move, and I also think that they'll take C. Jackson or S. Holmes in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread