What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles pursuing Javon Walker (1 Viewer)

I understand this from the standpoint that the Eagles want a quality WR, which Walker is in my opinion. BUT, this doesnt make sense in that they were just burned by a similar type of WR in T.O. It seems like they would be gunshy, but perhaps not.

Considering the 9ers got a 3rd this year and a 4th next for Lloyd...I would expect Thompson to laugh at this offer.

I understand this from the standpoint that the Eagles want a quality WR, which Walker is in my opinion. BUT, this doesnt make sense in that they were just burned by a similar type of WR in T.O. It seems like they would be gunshy, but perhaps not.
I see what you're saying. Still though, a 3rd and Hollis Thomas seems a small price to pay for what Walker can give you. The Eagles have to know his contract demands and appear willing to pay it.

I see what you're saying. Still though, a 3rd and Hollis Thomas seems a small price to pay for what Walker can give you. The Eagles have to know his contract demands and appear willing to pay it.
Does seem a small price...probably smaller than Green Bay is willing to accept.The guy was a first round pick...DT may not be the biggest need...and they already have guys on the roster than seem as qualified as Thomas is to take over for Grady (Jenkins, Cole, Williams)

Considering the 9ers got a 3rd this year and a 4th next for Lloyd...I would expect Thompson to laugh at this offer.
:confused: Last I heard Lloyd didn't tear his ACL and wasn't stating he'd rather retire than play for the Niners.

:confused: Last I heard Lloyd didn't tear his ACL and wasn't stating he'd rather retire than play for the Niners.
Last I heard Lloyd never looked nearly as good as Walker, was not a first round draft pick, and has never put up a season like Walker did before the injury.I think the Packers put more than a 3rd round pick and average DT value on the guy.

Even coming off of the injury and probably being about 75% this year Walker is a better WR than Lloyd.

Javon was willing play last year for a half mil then negotiate his contract this year. Owens on the other hand was throwing a hissy-fit for having to play for ONLY $7 million a year. That's the difference.As a Packer fan, I say make the trade but by no means should it include Hollis Thomas. Isn't he like 34 or something?

Javon was willing play last year for a half mil then negotiate his contract this year. Owens on the other hand was throwing a hissy-fit for having to play for ONLY $7 million a year. That's the difference.As a Packer fan, I say make the trade but by no means should it include Hollis Thomas. Isn't he like 34 or something?
I think he will be or is 32...and nothing better than what they currently have on the roster at DT.I would not want them to just settle for a 3rd rounder just yet....

I understand this from the standpoint that the Eagles want a quality WR, which Walker is in my opinion.  BUT, this doesnt make sense in that they were just burned by a similar type of WR in T.O.  It seems like they would be gunshy, but perhaps not.
Just turned 32.Would you take Owens instead? Great, let's get it done.

I wonder if this has any bearing on how the Packers will react to the supposed trade offer:

Packers | Team wants to sign R. Pickett; but deal does not appear imminentMon, 13 Mar 2006 06:04:33 -0800PackersNews.com reports the Green Bay Packers will complete their visit with free agent DT Ryan Pickett (Rams) Monday, March 13. The Packers want to sign Pickett as a run stopper. There were no signs Sunday night, March 12, that the Packers were close to signing Pickett, though a deal could be completed before he leaves town Monday.

Would you take Owens instead? Great, let's get it done.
:thumbup: :thumbup: I'd love to see that just to see what TO does.

Does he keep his mouth shut?

Say "Brett's awesome baby!"

Say "crap, Brett's washed up!"

This would be fun. :popcorn:

Walker still has one year left on his contract. After that the Packers could tender him as a transition F.A. or even a franchise guy. If they did so their compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. Given that I don't see them settling for much less. To me this offer is substantially less. I just don't see it happening.

The funny and sad part of this is had Walker simply done his negotiating with the team quietly this is the year he would have gotten his love. Last year the Packers simply had no money and he had two years remeaining on his contract. This year they have cap room and they like to resign young up and coming stars to generous contracts under those circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering how long it would take until the "Trade T.O. for Walker" rumors would start up. Looks like they could be just around the corner...

Walker still has one year left on his contract. After that the Packers could tender him as a transition F.A. or even a franchise guy. If they did so their compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. Given that I don't see them settling for much less. To me this offer is substantially less. I just don't see it happening.

The funny and sad part of this is had Walker simply done his negotiating with the team quietly this is the year he would have gotten his love. Last year the Packers simply had no money and he had two years remeaining on his contract. This year they have cap room and they like to resign young up and comming stars to generous contracts under those circumstances.
:goodposting: You are 100% correct with all that you say here. Alas, young Javon has been 'disrespected' :rolleyes: and would rather retire than play for the Green and Gold. I say good ridance, and hope he enjoys finding a 'real' job.

I was wondering how long it would take until the "Trade T.O. for Walker" rumors would start up. Looks like they could be just around the corner...
From your lips to God's ears...

Walker still has one year left on his contract.  After that the Packers could tender him as a transition F.A. or even a franchise guy.  If they did so their compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick.  Given that I don't see them settling for much less.  To me this offer is substantially less.  I just don't see it happening.

The funny and sad part of this is had Walker simply done his negotiating with the team quietly this is the year he would have gotten his love.  Last year the Packers simply had no money and he had two years remeaining on his contract.  This year they have cap room and they like to resign young up and comming stars to generous contracts under those circumstances.
:goodposting: You are 100% correct with all that you say here. Alas, young Javon has been 'disrespected' :rolleyes: and would rather retire than play for the Green and Gold. I say good ridance, and hope he enjoys finding a 'real' job.
I like to think that cooler heads will prevail, but no question receivers who have been disrespected can do funny things. They are like psycho ex-girlfriends, very unpredictable.

packers won't be the first to blink in this game of chicken (with walker)...

it is possible he could be had, but he is obviously worth more than a third & a washed up DT... if eagles are serious, they need to pony up more...

at this point (if that is indication of what they are prepared to offer) it seems more likely that he won't play this year or will return to pack...

I'm not buying this until it has more clarity. The Eagles MAY have offered that deal but the Packers would be silly to accept. Hollis has struggled with his effectiveness the last two seasons, is getting old and has a good chance of getting released by the Birds anyway depending on how free agency and the draft progress.

Last I heard Lloyd never looked nearly as good as Walker, was not a first round draft pick, and has never put up a season like Walker did before the injury.I think the Packers put more than a 3rd round pick and average DT value on the guy.

Even coming off of the injury and probably being about 75% this year Walker is a better WR than Lloyd.
Walker has had one great season with Brett Favre throwing to him. Lloyd has had a couple below average years with Tim Rattay and Alex Smith throwing "somewhere close to" him. Given Walker's injury and his insane contract demands, Hermit is dead on that Lloyd has more trade value than Walker. Its called leverage, the Packers have very very little.

Walker has had one great season with Brett Favre throwing to him. Lloyd has had a couple below average years with Tim Rattay and Alex Smith throwing "somewhere close to" him. Given Walker's injury and his insane contract demands, Hermit is dead on that Lloyd has more trade value than Walker. Its called leverage, the Packers have very very little.
Walker has had one great season...but before that you could see how good he was. He is simply on a completely different level of talent than Lloyd is.Packers have more leverage with Walker than he does demanding a trade...and definately enough to turn down what is a laughable offer.

Having him under contract and with a right to tag him after, I'd say the Packers have all the leverage they need.Walker is a child who talks too quickly. His team mates even now are rallying around him, urging him to reconsider, giving him support. This will pass. He will get his contract renewed this year. He will put up great numbers.

When agents and hangerson down in Florida have his ear in the off season he listens to those idiots. When minicamps roll around he listens to his team mates who are all urging him to work this out.

Having him under contract and with a right to tag him after, I'd say the Packers have all the leverage they need.Walker is a child who talks too quickly. His team mates even now are rallying around him, urging him to reconsider, giving him support. This will pass. He will get his contract renewed this year. He will put up great numbers.

When agents and hangerson down in Florida have his ear in the off season he listens to those idiots. When minicamps roll around he listens to his team mates who are all urging him to work this out.
I hope so...Ive got an autographed helmet from a credit card offer the other day...as of now its value to me is nothing...lol.

That would be very interesting. Especially considering T.O.'s comments (by proxy through Irvin) about how much better the Eagles would be with Favre instead of McNabb at the helm.

That would be very interesting. Especially considering T.O.'s comments (by proxy through Irvin) about how much better the Eagles would be with Favre instead of McNabb at the helm.
Ted Thompson wants nothing to do with the TO saga. Honestly, the only teams that will entertain TO have a) dominant personalities at the HC spot...guys like Parcells and Shanahan who THINK they can control Owens, and b) are one playmaker away from SB contention in their minds.

People act like Javon Walker is the first player to come out and demand a trade. Why would Green Bay cave in to a trade request so quickly unless they can get good value out of a trade? I do not believe GB trades Walker unless they get a solid offer. They will call his offer because the chance that Walker opts to sit out the year is almost nil. Walker stays in GB unless a real offer comes across the table IMO.

Their bodies, playing style, and work effort are all simuliar. All those things worked well with TO in Philly. He was a monster on the field. TO and the Eagles had their differences off the field due to the media attention TO demanded for himself. Unloading Owens and trying to sign a simuliar player who doesnt have differences with their organization is by no means a dumb move. I believe Walker is one of the top young WRs in the league. Unless the Packers strongly feel they cant make amends, I'm sure they shot the Eagles down.

I understand this from the standpoint that the Eagles want a quality WR, which Walker is in my opinion.  BUT, this doesnt make sense in that they were just burned by a similar type of WR in T.O.  It seems like they would be gunshy, but perhaps not.
Their bodies, playing style, and work effort are all simuliar. All those things worked well with TO in Philly. He was a monster on the field. TO and the Eagles had their differences off the field due to the media attention TO demanded for himself. Unloading Owens and trying to sign a simuliar player who doesnt have differences with their organization is by no means a dumb move. I believe Walker is one of the top young WRs in the league. Unless the Packers strongly feel they cant make amends, I'm sure they shot the Eagles down.
I dont consider Walker "young".

I dont consider Walker "young".
27 isn't old for a wr. Most wr take 3 or 4 years to get comfortable and start to hit their stride. That is where Walker is right now. Before the knee injury he would have been a very hot topic this offseason but unfortunetly due to that he's dropped a little. I would say without the injury and his age he would have been projected in the top 5 due to talent and age in the NFL and in dynasty leagues.

A count a WRs prime at ages 28-32. So yes, I consider Walker still a young receiver. One of the top 3 yet to hit that age IMO.

I'm not buying this until it has more clarity. The Eagles MAY have offered that deal but the Packers would be silly to accept.
I think that more to the point is the notion that they MAY have offered this to the Eagles. In the last week we've heard some outlandish trade offers and signings that looked like they were set in stone and never came to be. Bentley was signed by the Eagles. Oh wait.....Culpepper was going to the Rams or the Raiders before this last weekend....Oh, wait.....Mike Anderson signing in Baltimore is a sure sign that Jamal is out the door.....Oh, wait.....Randel El is a Bear.....Oh, wait.....The Saints are definitely taking a QB in the draft after canning Brooks....Oh, wait.....

They have leverage against Walker, not against potential suitors.

They have leverage against Walker, not against potential suitors.
Read the rest of it...having the right to tag him next year gives them leverage...

Users who are viewing this thread