What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early DB Rankings (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Early DB rankings

Toughest set of DB rankings I've done in recent memory. I don't know whether I want to formally call it the year of the CB or preach patience on last year's disappointing safeties. I'll probably change my mind weekly until August. :(

I'd fall back on my usual tier argument, but it's all one tier of mud for me. I can even make a strong argument against anyone in the top ten right now. :shrug: glllllll peas

If we're in Dynasty and don't have any "studs", is there anyone you think we should be targeting to go after (either draft or trade) or just kind of roll with the punches and see what develops? It's a position I really want to upgrade this summer, but not sure how to go about it.

Fred Bennett #9? Can you tell me about him?
Bennett finished the season with 8 weeks of acceptable to excellent production. He's one of those sleepers revealed by season splits. Anyway Jene. Great job. No job is more thankless and difficult. Nice CB love! You're a man after my heart. I liked seeing faith in Bigby and Phillips. The Rouse/Sabby lovers aren't going to like it, but I still don't expect much from either of them and Bigby had a lot of nice moments to go with his struggles, while Phillips seems to have come into his own. Cromartie will be stupid good again.I love Bodden's situation.I thought I read something discouraging about Hope's neck. I'll look for it. Trufant... told ya so.

Seems weird to see Polamalu all the way down at #20. He's among the most talented DBs in the game. I'm pretty sure he'll be drafted/valued higher than that in my leagues. Please tell me more about why I should stay away.

Same for Ed Reed at #53, only more so. No chance he falls that far in most leagues. I understand more about him being low, but that seems too low.

Same for Ed Reed at #53, only more so. No chance he falls that far in most leagues. I understand more about him being low, but that seems too low.
Look at his production versus others, there's no reason he's a starter in any format anymore. I too would rather take a stab at an upside player on my bench than Ed Reed. He's replacement value at best now. I do agree with you though in that he will go earlier in most drafts, doesn't mean he should.

Look at his production versus others, there's no reason he's a starter in any format anymore. I too would rather take a stab at an upside player on my bench than Ed Reed. He's replacement value at best now. I do agree with you though in that he will go earlier in most drafts, doesn't mean he should.
But does anyone think that the recent downturn is an aberration? Seems to me that Reed could see an upswing back. Maybe not to the very top as he was once predicted. But top 25 maybe.

But does anyone think that the recent downturn is an aberration? Seems to me that Reed could see an upswing back. Maybe not to the very top as he was once predicted. But top 25 maybe.
What have you seen to indicate that? I see an aging safety who has clearly lost a step and refuses to accept that he's not a play making safety anymore and needs to play in position more. His tackle numbers are routinely low in large part because he's looking to make a big play instead of just a play. For a guy who's not making as many big plays as he used to he's pretty useless in IDP.

Those who've replied earlier have hit the high points. Take a look at his game log sheet over the second half of the season after Robinson went down and then look at his play while he was a nickel back -- looks eerily similar to Richard Marshall. I don't think he's got Marshall's ball skills or overall physicality, but he's in that niche of rookie corners who are active enough in run support to have consistent value even if QBs stop testing them as often.Rozelle had an interesting take on Bennett after looking at his play-by-play more closely, so buyer beware.

If we're in Dynasty and don't have any "studs", is there anyone you think we should be targeting to go after (either draft or trade) or just kind of roll with the punches and see what develops? It's a position I really want to upgrade this summer, but not sure how to go about it.
I'd try to buy any of the formerly studly safeties cheaply and take the risk-reward they bounce back -- Rhodes, Wilson, Hope, etc. I might try to get LaRon Landry cheaply. I like Ndukwe and Bennett to break out at their respective positions. Otherwise, right now, I think it's definitely a roll with punches kind of summer. There are a number of teams (ATL, DET, NO, TB, CIN, etc) with unsettled situations that could blossom in training camp.

Where would these guys rank?Hayden, Kelvin IND CB McCauley, Marcus MIN CB
Hayden was tough to keep out of the top 60 and top 30 corners, but his second half wasn't nearly as impressive as his first half and I'm not convinced he's got the run support sustainability some of his Tampa-2 colleagues do. Since the Colts don't get many passes defended, Hayden needs the 70 solos to be respectable.McCauley has nice potential, but struggled last year and is still behind Winfield and Griffin. Until he shows the nickel skills that guys like Joseph, Griffin, Marshall and Bennett have, he's stuck in the "watch me closely, but don't roster in small-medium sized leagues yet."

What have you seen to indicate that? I see an aging safety who has clearly lost a step and refuses to accept that he's not a play making safety anymore and needs to play in position more. His tackle numbers are routinely low in large part because he's looking to make a big play instead of just a play. For a guy who's not making as many big plays as he used to he's pretty useless in IDP.
He's not old. He's 29. He still has so much speed and athleticism that they had him working in the return game and he took one to the house.Agreed on playing out of position. But some of that is change in his role and scheme.The man still has talent. And he still produces big plays. 7 ints last year?

Seems weird to see Polamalu all the way down at #20. He's among the most talented DBs in the game. I'm pretty sure he'll be drafted/valued higher than that in my leagues. Please tell me more about why I should stay away.Same for Ed Reed at #53, only more so. No chance he falls that far in most leagues. I understand more about him being low, but that seems too low.
I've always thought Polamalu was overvalued for IDP purposes, but you're right that I've probably got him a little low. I'm a little leery of his recent injury history, the lack of a decent cover safety next to him, the increasing tendency toward the Cover-2 and the continued lack of opportunity the Steelers defense have allowed themselves in recent seasons.My personal bias is not to project career high big play numbers for these kinds of players, so they tend to fall a little in the rank lists.53 is actually high for me on Ed Reed; I only grudgingly left him in my top 50 last year. I do think his tackle numbers rebound fairly significantly this year. I've actually got him at 37 in my raw projections right now. But his tackle numbers are likely to rebound only into the high 40s - low 50s and he'll have to get those big play numbers again to have DB3+ value. I may push him higher, but he's the kind of guy (Peppers, Ware, etc) that I avoid in leagues unless I've got a stud lineup around him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who've replied earlier have hit the high points. Take a look at his game log sheet over the second half of the season after Robinson went down and then look at his play while he was a nickel back -- looks eerily similar to Richard Marshall. I don't think he's got Marshall's ball skills or overall physicality, but he's in that niche of rookie corners who are active enough in run support to have consistent value even if QBs stop testing them as often.Rozelle had an interesting take on Bennett after looking at his play-by-play more closely, so buyer beware.
Interesting take by Rozelle. This is what concerns me about taking DBs who have a short-term spike in tackle numbers. I'm lazy - does Houston run a cover-2? That would lend support to Fred B's ability to keep generating tackles. Otherwise, not clear why Fred B will continue the magic.

Interesting take by Rozelle. This is what concerns me about taking DBs who have a short-term spike in tackle numbers. I'm lazy - does Houston run a cover-2? That would lend support to Fred B's ability to keep generating tackles. Otherwise, not clear why Fred B will continue the magic.
IIRC Houston is not primarily cover-2. Bennett is a shaky 2008 bet. They will add a corner. Robinson will be back. Bennett could be a nickel CB by the end of the season. I dont see Bennett being a better bet than, say, Brian Kelly ...

He's not old. He's 29. He still has so much speed and athleticism that they had him working in the return game and he took one to the house.Agreed on playing out of position. But some of that is change in his role and scheme.The man still has talent. And he still produces big plays. 7 ints last year?
Wow he's been in the league for a while, I thought he was at least 30-31 which is why I wasn't too surprised when I saw that he lost a step in his game. Now I question whether he had a hidden injury or not...maybe he just wasn't playing hard because the Ravens were out of contention?7 INT's is not nearly enough to counteract his lack of tackle #'s. I'd only roster him in a league with a deep bench in which I would start him only consider starting him in games that I think he is very likely to pull down an INT.

IIRC Houston is not primarily cover-2. Bennett is a shaky 2008 bet. They will add a corner. Robinson will be back. Bennett could be a nickel CB by the end of the season. I dont see Bennett being a better bet than, say, Brian Kelly ...
Don't be so sure Dunta comes back in 08, that was a devastating injury he suffered last year. Houston will add a CB in the draft though, maybe two, and I would be very surprised if they go in another direction with their 1st round pick. Maybe OT if Chris Williams falls.

The Texans don't use as much Cover-2 as other teams. But it's not just the Cover-2 that assures good production. Plenty of corners on Tampa-2 teams aren't worthy of roster spots on IDP rosters. And there is a subset of corners (see Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield) that will do well regardless of the amount of zone coverage they play. There are plenty of one year wonders, though, as you say, especially among rookie corners. So, I'm looking for evidence of a willingness to tackle and signs of decent ball skills.

Bennett, as a nickel corner, was averaging over 2 tackles and a pass defended per game. He finished with 14 passes defended. There were concerns that Bennett wasn't as physical as someone his size should/could have been in run support -- and Rozelle's post is concerning -- but 39 tackles in 8 games is more than just the rookie corner rule to me. I'm not going to project him to 80 tackles, but a corner who can project to 70 solo and 14 PD is a top 10-20 value.

I'm not concerned about Robinson; I don't think he's due back until mid-season (that right?) and he's talented enough that Bennett shouldn't see much change in his opportunity. Should the Texans take another corner high in the draft, that'll definitely depress Bennett's long term value. For now, though, I think Bennett may be this season's Cedric Griffin -- undervalued second year player who produces very well in the boxscores.

Still, I think you guys are right. I shouldn't necessarily have Bennett so high. Looking back, I had Griffin in the high 30s last September. I'll probably move him down in the next version of these rankings -- into the teens, early twenties -- still highlighting the upside, but better reflective of what level of investment he should require.

As a Jax homer, you should really put Brian Williams in the top 30. He's going to be the starter at strong safety, especially with Sensabaugh coming off two torn labrums. They haven't announced him as the starter, but I'm confident he'll be the guy. I think he can put up better numbers than Sammy Knight did in Jax. Take Sensabaugh out of your top 60 too.

Glad to see an IDP-er who doesn't have Cromartie up there. I think he'll be getting the Deion treatment soon.

As a Jax homer, you should really put Brian Williams in the top 30. He's going to be the starter at strong safety, especially with Sensabaugh coming off two torn labrums. They haven't announced him as the starter, but I'm confident he'll be the guy. I think he can put up better numbers than Sammy Knight did in Jax. Take Sensabaugh out of your top 60 too.

Glad to see an IDP-er who doesn't have Cromartie up there. I think he'll be getting the Deion treatment soon.
Huh. Thanks. That could be interesting. I don't think top 30 is doable, but he'd be in that 40-60 range for sure. There's just something about Sammy Knight -- he's more productive than anyone else has/had been wherever he goes.

Since he was healthy at FSU I have compared Cromartie to Champ. He will be very good in run support with a full-time starting gig. Projecting corners is a fool's errand, so here's another fool's seat of the pants corner rankings:1. Winfield2. McGee3. Clements4. Bailey5. Cromartie6. Marshall7. Tillman8. Bodden9. Taylor10. TrufantSeveral others caused me rankings grief, but I think Revis has a great shot at long-term high production. Those ranking were more of an estimated 08 projection, while a longer term dynasty top ten would include Revis without question. And it just dawned on me that there's no Ronde on my list. Wow. That just feels wrong. :lmao:Extra large :lmao: for Cromartie.

Since he was healthy at FSU I have compared Cromartie to Champ. He will be very good in run support with a full-time starting gig. Projecting corners is a fool's errand, so here's another fool's seat of the pants corner rankings:

1. Winfield

2. McGee

3. Clements

4. Bailey

5. Cromartie

6. Marshall

7. Tillman

8. Bodden

9. Taylor

10. Trufant

:lmao:

Extra large :lmao: for Cromartie.
Hmmm.I didn't notice that at the end of 2007, but he did have a number of games with 5+ solos. I didn't see Cromartie reaching 65 solos this year, especially if he continues to establish some "shutdown" qualities, but I might be underrating him. I'll have to look more closely at him.

I think Fred Bennett has the potential to be a good play in’08, not sure about the long haul ... buyer beware is good advice.

As stated, Robinson suffered a serious injury, I understand he will most likely miss half of the ’08 season, if and when he comes back this year, I rather doubt he’ll be the player he was, at least for the rest of ’08. It will prolly be 2009 before he is fully recovered; I think I read somewhere there is some concern about his future … not sure how accurate that is though. Like I said, I’m not certain about that, and I definitely can’t remember where I may have seen it.

CB has to be a high priority for Houston, they may address it early; however they still need some help up front on offense (tackle) and currently are without a 2nd round pick. If they’re able to move Rosenfel for a two, they most likely will draft CB early, they may anyway.

They have been working hard to upgrade at safety also.

Since he was healthy at FSU I have compared Cromartie to Champ. He will be very good in run support with a full-time starting gig. Projecting corners is a fool's errand, so here's another fool's seat of the pants corner rankings:1. Winfield2. McGee3. Clements4. Bailey5. Cromartie6. Marshall7. Tillman8. Bodden9. Taylor10. TrufantSeveral others caused me rankings grief, but I think Revis has a great shot at long-term high production. Those ranking were more of an estimated 08 projection, while a longer term dynasty top ten would include Revis without question. And it just dawned on me that there's no Ronde on my list. Wow. That just feels wrong. :)Extra large :shrug: for Cromartie.
Marshall only 6th ?? :mellow: no way

Guys I was surprised to see low rankings on:

Oshiomogho Atogwe - he's a FS, but if CBs are ranked this high, a FS can be. He just produces.

Erik Coleman - I think he's worth a shot before the bottom guys on your list. About week 2, I think he'll be a hot pickup.

Guys I was surprised to see high rankings on:

Rodney Harrison is crazy-high. Am I missing something on him? He was unstartable last season and is another year older and removed from his days as a stud.

Bennett has been mentioned.

Cedric Griffin surprises me that high. I guess I'm just not sold on the repeatability of CBs yet.

Oshiomogho Atogwe - he's a FS, but if CBs are ranked this high, a FS can be. He just produces.

Erik Coleman - I think he's worth a shot before the bottom guys on your list. About week 2, I think he'll be a hot pickup.

Rodney Harrison is crazy-high. Am I missing something on him? He was unstartable last season and is another year older and removed from his days as a stud.

Cedric Griffin surprises me that high. I guess I'm just not sold on the repeatability of CBs yet.
:angry: looking through this list again, I'm surprised to see Griffin at 15 and Madieu Williams #36 - below guys like Leon Hall, Ndukwe, and Bigby. Is his role going to be that much different than last year? IMO there's no doubt he's a better player than Griffin.

:goodposting: looking through this list again, I'm surprised to see Griffin at 15 and Madieu Williams #36 - below guys like Leon Hall, Ndukwe, and Bigby. Is his role going to be that much different than last year? IMO there's no doubt he's a better player than Griffin.
What’s not to like about Griffin. Has nice size, (6-0 / 203), speed, excellent in run support, good open field tackler, smart, good instincts, athletic … and he plays in a cover-2 scheme. :confused: Coming out of Texas, Nawrocki compared him to Charles Tillman, in terms of talent.

:goodposting: looking through this list again, I'm surprised to see Griffin at 15 and Madieu Williams #36 - below guys like Leon Hall, Ndukwe, and Bigby. Is his role going to be that much different than last year? IMO there's no doubt he's a better player than Griffin.
What’s not to like about Griffin. Has nice size, (6-0 / 203), speed, excellent in run support, good open field tackler, smart, good instincts, athletic … and he plays in a cover-2 scheme. :confused: Coming out of Texas, Nawrocki compared him to Charles Tillman, in terms of talent.
Oh, I like Griffin, but IMO Madieu is just better.

RE: Tick's post

Yeah, at some point I suppose I should give him credit for his consistent big play value, but I have a hard time getting past the 66 solo tackle average over the past two seasons. His high rankings have been buoyed by the 5 FF in 2006 and the 8 INT last year. If he slips back to league average big play numbers, he's essentially Deon Grant v 2007. Still, I'll probably bump him higher in the next version. I had trouble slotting him this week.

The thing that bothers me about Coleman is that zone coverage was never his strong suit in New York and that's what the Falcons are likely to use this year. Coleman did get big tackle numbers in 2005 in a primarily zone scheme under Herm Edwards, though, and the Falcons could see plenty of opportunity. Could say the same about guys like Donte Whitner, though, who are better all-around players. I think a lot will have to do with how the LB battles play out there. I didn't notice that I didn't have Coleman in there, though, I'd have thought my projections would have had him in the 45-60 range. I'll have to take another look at him, too.

Harrison had 42 solos and 4 PD in the second half of 2007 and continued his solid boxscore production in the playoffs. The ILB situation is even worse than right now and, though the secondary situation isn't much better, I see plenty of opportunity for Harrison again next year. If he continues on his late 2007 pace, he's a top five player.

Griffin's already proven himself over parts of two seasons. As a starter in 2006, he was just as productive as he was last year. 24 solos in six games as a starter and 8 PD. Not quite the solo tackle pace he had last year, but still consistent with that of a 65+ solo guy. Add in the ball skills and he's a top 25 talent.

FUBAR said:
Tick said:

Posted my thoughts on Griffin above. I remain leery of the solo tackle production of safeties on teams that play a lot of zone coverage and the corners and linebackers are so good in run support that it's even harder for the safeties in Minnesota. I think there's more run support opportunity for the safeties above Williams on the list and better all-around opportunity for a few of the corners. This list is definitely a work in progress, though, and I can see myself hedging on the corners in the 15-30 range before August.

Seems weird to see Polamalu all the way down at #20. He's among the most talented DBs in the game. I'm pretty sure he'll be drafted/valued higher than that in my leagues. Please tell me more about why I should stay away.

In tackle based league's, Reed's hardly a factor, being barely rosterable.His upside is a new DEF coordnator....how his roll might change.

If you have a Reed history, back to his Rookie Incarnation, there's reason for hope. He's a free agent pick-up, draft and follow type. If you've got the roster depth, he's a free gamble.

Jene, thanks as always for the responses - the discussion in these threads is making me look more closely at players and adjust my rankings.

In tackle based league's, Reed's hardly a factor, being barely rosterable.His upside is a new DEF coordnator....how his roll might change.

If you have a Reed history, back to his Rookie Incarnation, there's reason for hope. He's a free agent pick-up, draft and follow type. If you've got the roster depth, he's a free gamble.
Rex Ryan is still the defensive coordinator in Baltimore.

Antrel Rolle at 42? Did the switch from CB to FS drop him significantly in overall value, Jean? :wolf:
I don't know what the Cardinals plan to do with him. If he plays the robber role that he often played as a slot corner last year, he's got some interesting big play value. I just don't see him being in the box in run support, which kills a lot of the value he once had as a corner and there's not going to be many leftovers behind Hayes, Dansby and Wilson in deep pursuit. I think he struggles to hit 65 solos.

In a dynasty I own:

Clements

Winfield

Knight

McGee

LaRon Landry

I can only start 2, in dynasty, who would you look to move?

In a dynasty I own:ClementsWinfieldKnightMcGeeLaRon LandryI can only start 2, in dynasty, who would you look to move?
In a league where you only start 2 DBs, are they even worth trading for? I only ask because I'm in a similar setup where most IDPs aren't even kept each year and they're almost never traded for much.

In a dynasty I own:

Clements

Winfield

Knight

McGee

LaRon Landry

I can only start 2, in dynasty, who would you look to move?
We would appreciate it if all team specific advice requests were asked in the IDP AC Forum. It helps keep the main forum topics open for news and general discussion.[i'd move Knight in a dynasty league.]

Antrel Rolle at 42? Did the switch from CB to FS drop him significantly in overall value, Jean? :)
I don't know what the Cardinals plan to do with him. If he plays the robber role that he often played as a slot corner last year, he's got some interesting big play value. I just don't see him being in the box in run support, which kills a lot of the value he once had as a corner and there's not going to be many leftovers behind Hayes, Dansby and Wilson in deep pursuit. I think he struggles to hit 65 solos.
I had read somewhere that the Cards are switching Rolle to safety. Since Wilson is at SS, I would think Rolle will be at FS. I also think this is more of an experiment for TC, and if it doesn't work, then he will move back to CB.

tex said:
Antrel Rolle at 42? Did the switch from CB to FS drop him significantly in overall value, Jean? :mellow:
I had read somewhere that the Cards are switching Rolle to safety. Since Wilson is at SS, I would think Rolle will be at FS. I also think this is more of an experiment for TC, and if it doesn't work, then he will move back to CB.
Rolle's definitely at FS. Apologies for the vagueness of my post. There's a lot of ways they could use him there, though. Rolle looked really good at times in an underneath robber role (that's not limited to the slot corner -- e.g. Bob Sanders does it frequently), but he could work as a deep rover, too. And Wilson is solid enough in coverage that the Cards could also do an interchangeable alignment. It'll probably be a mix of all of them, but each of those roles will provide different tackle opportunity. He could end up anywhere from the high 40s to the high 60s.

Is Richard Marshall the starter now or is that still in flux?
No confirmation one way or the other that I'm aware. I've yet to see a note on whether Gamble had fully regained his health by year's end and Marshall passed him on the depth chart or not.

We hear Bucs free-agent signee Eugene Wilson impressed coaches in this week’s first round of OTAs so much that he’s being considered for the starting job at left cornerback. Last year’s starter Phillip Buchanon was largely considered a favorite to keep his spot, but Wilson, who was a backup safety for the Patriots last season, is putting up a fight.
NawrockiPossible sleeper as a starting CB in the TB C2?

We hear Bucs free-agent signee Eugene Wilson impressed coaches in this week’s first round of OTAs so much that he’s being considered for the starting job at left cornerback. Last year’s starter Phillip Buchanon was largely considered a favorite to keep his spot, but Wilson, who was a backup safety for the Patriots last season, is putting up a fight.
NawrockiPossible sleeper as a starting CB in the TB C2?
Anybody have any opinion if Eugene could be a possible sleeper as TBs CB2? I don't see Phil Buchannon as a tough guy to beat out.

Users who are viewing this thread