What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Edgerrin James (1 Viewer)

Where will Edgerrin James play next year?

• Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another team

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SaosiN

Footballguy
Where is Edge gonna be next year? I don't think they want to pay him to run 13 times for 56 yards in big games..Is he gonna be a Colt next year?Keep in mind that they also have to sign Reggie Wayne, I don't know if they will sign both.

From what the front office has said here in Indy over the last two days they want to go to a power running game. Does not sound like E James to me. IMO a change will be good.

Why would Indy need a Rb they do not use them when it counts anyway might as well throw the ball 50 times Brilliant

I don't know if he will stay in Indy or not. My gut says no, but my brain says yes. All I know is that this guy is much better and important to this offence than he is ever given credit for. Indy would make a mistake by not keeping him IMO.

Teams do some funky things with caps, but it just doesn't seem likely that they will have the means to keep Wayne and James both. Tough call, but I think they keep Wayne.

Where is Edge gonna be next year? I don't think they want to pay him to run 13 times for 56 yards in big games..
If the team is upset with a 4.3yrd/carry, if I were James, I wouldn't wanna play for them. Seems like if the team was upset with his lack of yardage for the game they should blame the offensive play caller.

From what the front office has said here in Indy over the last two days they want to go to a power running game. Does not sound like E James to me. IMO a change will be good.
:confused: Edge seems pretty powerful to me. I would bet opposing defenses would concur.

I agree with jurb26 in terms of Edge being a critical component part of that offense, considering how much they've gone to a more balanced attack. I'm not convinced that you can just plug and play any decent RB back there with similar success.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is he's going to AZ. DGreen knows he needs to win asap -- they are in good shape with the cap -- they will still have the pix to draft OL.

I bumped this up to add that on PTI yesterday that a columnist from the Indianapolis star and asked him if he thought James would be back next year. He stated that in his opinion, there was an 80% chance that Edge would be playing somewhere else next year. He said that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay James a truckload of money, when you don't even make your RB your go-to guy in the biggest game of the year. He also said that good RBs can be had relatively cheaply and that locking older guys to long term contracts. He said that the Colts want to avoid a situation like the Titans, where many older players are tied into long-term big-money deals, but are underperforming, handcuffing the team's ability to rebuild.No transcript (I paraphrased all of the above) and this is just a columnist's opinion. Howver, this is definately a guy in the know with regard to the Colts, so I think he's likely on to something.

I bumped this up to add that on PTI yesterday that a columnist from the Indianapolis star and asked him if he thought James would be back next year. He stated that in his opinion, there was an 80% chance that Edge would be playing somewhere else next year. He said that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay James a truckload of money, when you don't even make your RB your go-to guy in the biggest game of the year. He also said that good RBs can be had relatively cheaply and that locking older guys to long term contracts. He said that the Colts want to avoid a situation like the Titans, where many older players are tied into long-term big-money deals, but are underperforming, handcuffing the team's ability to rebuild.

No transcript (I paraphrased all of the above) and this is just a columnist's opinion. Howver, this is definately a guy in the know with regard to the Colts, so I think he's likely on to something.
Sounds smart to me.

:confused: Edge seems pretty powerful to me. I would bet opposing defenses would concur.

I agree with jurb26 in terms of Edge being a critical component part of that offense, considering how much they've gone to a more balanced attack. I'm not convinced that you can just plug and play any decent RB back there with similar success.
Completely agree - I doubt Dominic Rhodes is the answer - there is always the draft but letting Edge go before then and hope the right guy falls - that is a dangerous strategy

He said that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay James a truckload of money, when you don't even make your RB your go-to guy in the biggest game of the year.
To me that sounds more like a local writer complaining about playcalling than someone who has any inside information on the plans of the colts.

He said that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay James a truckload of money, when you don't even make your RB your go-to guy in the biggest game of the year.
To me that sounds more like a local writer complaining about playcalling than someone who has any inside information on the plans of the colts.
What about the possibility of a Ricky trade? If the claim of a more powerful running game were correct, Ricky would fit that mold at a lower sticker price. Edge and Ricky are similar backs both proven to run 30+ times a game. Something to chew on.

Part of me really wants Edge to go to another team, just for the fact that they will finally realize how important he was to the offense.This isn't the type of offense you can just plug a guy into and expect to excel.If you thought Manning was whining during the Pitt game, wait until you have a rookie trying to pick up blitzing LBs.I hope James goes somewhere and gets the money and the respect he deserves.Manning threw him under the bus just as much as the O-Line.

Living here in Indy, my GUT tells me that if Edge is allowed to play anywhere he wants, he'll choose a florida team.Since Miami and Tampa have their backs for the future, that leaves Jacksonville. Fred T is washed up, and Greg Jones is .. well, a fullback.Edge in a Jaguar uniform would be NASTY news for Colts fans.Need to research how this works though. If the Colts have anything to say about where Edge plays, I can't imagine them allowing the Jags to get their hands on him.

Manning threw him under the bus just as much as the O-Line.
People need to get off this kick. Manning STATED THE OBVIOUS. Manning was on his ### all day.

The line allowed a league LOW 20 sacks and Pitt got to him 5 times and countless others.

Stating we had protection problems is not throwing anybody under the bus. It was obvious to anybody that saw the game, whether at the Dome, at home on TV or on the Moon. He was on his ### all day. That's PROTECTION PROBLEMS.

He is an UFA.
Franchise?
They could do that, but I think they are going to run a high risk of him holding out.He wasn't real happy about it last year.

Also, I'm not sure what type of cap implications that would have on 2006.

I wish he would have put the clause in his contract like Alexander did to prevent being named franchise player again.

People need to get off this kick. Manning STATED THE OBVIOUS. Manning was on his ### all day.

The line allowed a league LOW 20 sacks and Pitt got to him 5 times and countless others.

Stating we had protection problems is not throwing anybody under the bus. It was obvious to anybody that saw the game, whether at the Dome, at home on TV or on the Moon. He was on his ### all day. That's PROTECTION PROBLEMS.
Don't waste your breath. There are so many Manning haters on this board nothing you say will change their minds. It's a way to make up for their meaningless and pathetic lives. You know, to make them feel better about themselves.

He didn't just say, "We had some protection problems." He prefaced it with something like, "I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but, well, let's just say we had protection problems." He was basically calling people out. He could have just said that the Pitt D played a great game and got to him, or something like that. Instead he called out his own guys.

Sorry, I'm not a Manning hater.I'm actually a fan of his.I don't care what line would have been playing in that game, the end result would have been the same.When a defense doesn't have to play the run, it really isn't that hard to rush an immobile QB.Sorry if being realistic makes my life "pathetic", but that's how it is.

He could have just said that the Pitt D played a great game and got to him, or something like that. Instead he called out his own guys.
Why is that? It's the truth, and by saying we had protection problems is stating it in a nice way. He's the coach on the field, so answering a question and stating the obvious in a nice way doesn't mean throwing someone under the bus.

Sorry, I'm not a Manning hater.

I'm actually a fan of his.

I don't care what line would have been playing in that game, the end result would have been the same.

When a defense doesn't have to play the run, it really isn't that hard to rush an immobile QB.

Sorry if being realistic makes my life "pathetic", but that's how it is.
The answer to all of this, is that the Colts coaches, OL, and Manning haven't mastered how to deal with the 3-4 defense. They had trouble with Baltimore, New England, and now Pittsburgh. Yes they beat Baltimore, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

If the colts let Edge walk then they had better get someone to replace him. In the past when Edge was not playing or playing while still recovering from injury the offense has suffered. Manning's first three seasons his QB rating climbed. 71.2, 90.7, 94.7.Then when Edge went down with the injury, 84.1 and then following season 88.8.In 2003 with Edge basically back in form, 99.0 and over 100 the past two seasons.I know that QB rating is a flawed stat, but Edge has been a big part of the successs of that team. Without some respect for the run defenses will be in Manning's face more often and Manning will be throwing his O-linemen under the bus a lot more often.

Out of all of the possiblities of teams he could go to, which would be "best case scenario".JacksonvilleArizonaCarolinaOthers?Obviously everything is speculation at this point, but you never know.Carolina would be an interesting one.Edited to add: Best scenario which isn't the Colts.

Living here in Indy, my GUT tells me that if Edge is allowed to play anywhere he wants, he'll choose a florida team.

Since Miami and Tampa have their backs for the future, that leaves Jacksonville. Fred T is washed up, and Greg Jones is .. well, a fullback.

Edge in a Jaguar uniform would be NASTY news for Colts fans.

Need to research how this works though. If the Colts have anything to say about where Edge plays, I can't imagine them allowing the Jags to get their hands on him.
Edge to JAX makes sense to me. That team IMO is already the favorite to come out of the AFC South next year . . . gaining Edge would soldify this.

Edge to JAX makes sense to me. That team IMO is already the favorite to come out of the AFC South next year . . . gaining Edge would soldify this.

RANKED BY BEST FIT...

1. INDY - obvioulsy a great fit

2. JAX - great team, great fit... freddie is a cap casualty most likely.

3. ARZ - if the oline isn't better it won't matter, but could crack 1000 regardless.

4. CAR - davis is done & foster stold freddie t's nickname - fragile foster.

5. DEN - if they would consider Ricky? Wow would this be something to watch?

6. BALT - assuming JLewis isn't re-signed and ctaylor isn't the guy.

7. GB - cap room probably not, but I am sure they would love to have him.

8. SEA - if alexander bolts via FA, wouldn't this be a nice replacement?

9. MIN - childress and vikes might want to make a splash in FA?

My big gut tells me that he is a Carolina Panther next year.

Franchise?
I think that would make his salary about 9.7 mil. I don't think they'll franchise him. I have recently looked for old "Polian's Corner" with out much luck, but about mid-season he did mention how much James touched the ball and that he had a lot of miles on him. Something to that effect anyway.So as much as I would like to see him stay in Indy, and as valuable I believe he is to the Colts, I won't be surprised to see him somewhere else next year.

Franchise?
I think that would make his salary about 9.7 mil. I don't think they'll franchise him. I have recently looked for old "Polian's Corner" with out much luck, but about mid-season he did mention how much James touched the ball and that he had a lot of miles on him. Something to that effect anyway.So as much as I would like to see him stay in Indy, and as valuable I believe he is to the Colts, I won't be surprised to see him somewhere else next year.
It would be closer to 11 mill.

Sadly, Edge could have a long shot at some career records if he stays a Colt and stays healthy.I think he ends up in Carolina. Everyone will find out quickly that Edge IS one of the two or three best backs in the league. They will also find out that his achilles heal is short yardage and watch Davis collect ten or more touchdowns. :hey:

I bumped this up to add that on PTI yesterday that a columnist from the Indianapolis star and asked him if he thought James would be back next year. He stated that in his opinion, there was an 80% chance that Edge would be playing somewhere else next year. He said that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay James a truckload of money, when you don't even make your RB your go-to guy in the biggest game of the year. He also said that good RBs can be had relatively cheaply and that locking older guys to long term contracts. He said that the Colts want to avoid a situation like the Titans, where many older players are tied into long-term big-money deals, but are underperforming, handcuffing the team's ability to rebuild.

No transcript (I paraphrased all of the above) and this is just a columnist's opinion. Howver, this is definately a guy in the know with regard to the Colts, so I think he's likely on to something.
That Indy columnist was Bob Kravitz. He's not very respected here. He's the "controversial" local columnist. You can take what he says with a grain of salt. He's harder on the Pacers than he is the Colts though.

Here is my take on this situation...To keep Edge next season they either have to sign him to a long-term deal or pay him under the franchise tag which will be about $11Million.Neither will happen unless Manning restructures.Wayne will either be signed or franchised.Look for the Colts to go OL and RB with their first 2 picks. I think they get a serviceable RB in FA for less money than Edge. Maybe a Travis Henry-type.Bob Kravitz likes to stir the pot. But, the jist of it is they don't count on him in the crunch, Manning is the golden-boy and therefore, he trumps all.I am starting to look at Peyton as I do Kobe Bryant. And I don't like what I see.

Here is my take on this situation...

To keep Edge next season they either have to sign him to a long-term deal or pay him under the franchise tag which will be about $11Million.

Neither will happen unless Manning restructures.

Wayne will either be signed or franchised.

Look for the Colts to go OL and RB with their first 2 picks. I think they get a serviceable RB in FA for less money than Edge. Maybe a Travis Henry-type.

Bob Kravitz likes to stir the pot. But, the jist of it is they don't count on him in the crunch, Manning is the golden-boy and therefore, he trumps all.

I am starting to look at Peyton as I do Kobe Bryant. And I don't like what I see.
man i come to my fantasy football bb, and I still have to deal with Kobe hate? :angry: Give the MVP a little more respect

man i come to my fantasy football bb, and I still have to deal with Kobe hate? :angry: Give the MVP a little more respect
Sorry, not hate, but I think they have a huge amount of input on how to run the team.

Listening to Chris Mortenson on ESPN Radio this afternoon, he indicated that the labour agreement between the the league and union would go a long way in whether James and Wayne remain with Indy. If a new agreement is reached then any bonus can be spread over 6 or 7 years. If there is no extension then any signing bonus can only be prorated over 4 years in which case he doubts James would be retained.The holdup in the agreement is not between the union and the league but within ownership circles as some teams do not want to share more revenue with other teams.Again, this was from the radio so I do not have a link. :D

First off, I hope the Colts keep Edge.But if they don't, I'd like to see them swing a deal for Thomas Jones (see thread about TJ possibly being cut by the Bears).I think Jones could thrive in the Colts' offense (until they forget to use him in the postseason).

I think a good fit would be the Steelers. With Bettis retiring and Duce being cut, that'll free up money for him to sign with the team with a great OL. With Pittsburgh, he'll have the balance in passing and running to keep him fresh for the yearly trips to the playoffs.

I think a good fit would be the Steelers. With Bettis retiring and Duce being cut, that'll free up money for him to sign with the team with a great OL. With Pittsburgh, he'll have the balance in passing and running to keep him fresh for the yearly trips to the playoffs.
Edge on the Steelers in '06 = Possible MVP.

I just don't understand why people laugh Dominic Rhodes off as a rediculous option to the departed James (if he goes). The guy already has a 1,000 yard season under his belt in replacement of James, and he's now further along in his experience, healing, and recieving ability. Plus, I daresay that the Colts have grown as a passing team since Rhodes' run as a starter, so that opposing defenses simply cannot affort to stack the line.

I'm not saying that the Colts WONT go after a FA or draft a RB, but that they wont be able to pay for a top tier player (otherwise they'd keep James), and that they will give Rhodes a chance. And if they give him a shot to retain the spot, they wont be doing so out of ignorance or foolishness.

This isn't the type of offense you can just plug a guy into and expect to excel.
I dunno about that. Rhodes DID come in a few years ago when Edge tore his ACL and ran off a 4.7ypc and 1104yds and 9 TDs in ten starts..

Wayne will either be signed or franchised.
Signing is a possibility, but I don't see any chance of a good-but-not great #2 WR being franchised.
If Wayne doesn't constitute a great #2 WR, what does? How many #2 WRs around the league are better than Wayne?2300 yards and 17 TDs the last two years is darn impressive for a #2 WR, and better than half the #1's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread