What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eminence's Pre-Draft Dynasty Rankings. (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Hello boys and girls, I am sure you have all been waiting for my dynasty rankings. Here are my perceptions of this draft class. Fade or follow. I'm kind of drunk so there may be drastic adjustments when I get time to adjust.

1.) RB - Todd Gurley

He's the crown jewel of this draft class. There are obviously injury concerns and it's a real drag he ended up getting hurt. But if you watch his tape, you know he is legit. Anyone who drafts him is planning on giving him the lion's share of the carries right away. He's a guy you want if you're picking 1.01. Even if you end up trading him he's the biggest hyped RB since AP.

2.) WR - Kevin White

I know Amari Cooper is the guy. But Cooper feels like the safe pick. I get a huge Michael Crabtree vibe from Cooper. He's not going to bust, he's so fundamental. But if you're swinging for the fences, Kevin White is pretty much Larry Fitzgerald with more speed. He's a guy who is going to make a huge splash in this league. Awesome player.

I'm arguing to myself trading up to the 1.02 spot to nab him I guess it depends where he lands.

3.) RB - TJ Yeldon

Similar to when I rated Leveon Bell high a few years back. You can't teach size. For his size he is incredibly nimble and he will find himself on a team that will feed him the ball. I think he'll need to learn to be a little more tenacious with the ball in his hands. But I am confident he will be a bell cow. You don't need a committee with him. Safe pick.

4.) RB - Duke Johnson

He's that shifty RB in the mold of Shady McCoy or Lamar Miller. He has absolutely no fear running through the crease when it's necessary. I have questions about how he will perform in the passing game. But he has immense potential if he proves he can be a 3-down workhorse back.

5.) WR - Amari Cooper

Again, going against the grain here. I like Cooper. He's very fundamental but I don't see a BOOM player here. I don't see someone who is going to take over a ball game. I see a player who is going to go against Richard Sherman and lose. I see Michael Crabtree to be completely honest. He's probably the most NFL ready WR in the draft. But not a BOOM player.

Maybe he proves me wrong. But when I saw Watkins last year, I saw a star. When I saw Julio Jones, I saw a star. When I saw DeAndre Hopkins, I saw a star. This guy? I see a great WR2. Robert Woods esque.

6.) RB - Ameer Abdullah

Plenty of people are going to chastize me for this pick but he's one of those guys that just has "it". When it comes to playmakers I primarily look for two things.

1.) Can you break tackles?

2.) Can you make people miss?

This guy has an entire highlight reel of juking out defenders and breaking through tackles. I don't care what his 40 times says. He's going to hit the field and create chaos. I see a little bit of Darren Sproles and a little bit of Jahvid Best.

7.) RB - Melvin Gordon

People are going to disagree with me again. But with Gordon all I really see is great acceleration and great speed. He's ranked here because I think he'll get a starting gig somewhere and will see the bulk of carries. But on tape I don't really see him consistently breaking tackles, going up the gut, or making people miss.

8.) RB - David Johnson

One of the most underrated guys in this draft, in my opinion. He's got this weird Doug Martin - Matt Forte vibe going where he does everything good but nothing great. He's extremely fundamental and is definitely an improvement to many backfields in the NFL. He's not fast, he's not strong. He's just a good RB.

9.) WR - Breshard Perriman

He's somewhere between Martavis Bryant and Kelvin Benjamin. I've seen his tape and the plays he makes are similar to plays we saw Bryant and Benjamin make last year. Every team is looking for that next big RZ target and we all love guys who can score 10+ Touchdowns in a season. Huge mismatch in the RZ.

10.) WR - Devante Parker

11.) RB - Jay Ayaji

I see a lot of potential in this guy but I wish he was more North - South. If he could learn to just plow through a guy like Eddie Lacey does, he will be a machine. I haven't seen it in his college tape and I'm not expecting it in the pros. He has awesome potential though. If he lands in Dallas, he'll spring up into my Top 5. But right now, I see a big back with great moves but not enough grit.

12.) TE - Devin Funchess

He's a TE playing WR. He looks like an ogre out there and has sloppy hands when catching the ball but he's athletic enough to make LBs pay. I'm questioning bumping him up higher but his hands are quite skeptical. When the ball is in his hands he has decent enough ball skills though. Not a bad consolation prize if you lost your league Championship and are picking at 1.11.

On the fringe...

RB - Tevin Coleman

This guy is such a tease. I look at his tape and I see a little Adrian Peterson and a little Darren McFadden. I haven't seen him make enough people miss or take the ball up the gut to get those easy yards. I don't know that he can but I don't know that he can't. The last guy that ran with his type of intensity was Christian Michael.

Has great speed but I haven't seen enough out of him to bump him higher on this list. I really think he might have more upside than every back besides Yeldon and Gurley.

WR - Devin Smith

I literally see a Torrey Smith clone. Best deep threat in this draft class. I hope he ends up on the Ravens. He has this sick one-handed catch on his highlight reel where he looks like OBJ and I like that a lot. I can see him making some noise.

WR - Sammie Coates

He's a great WR prospect but I didn't see him "plucking the ball" out of the air so to speak. I don't see him going up and competing for the ball. Can he learn that? Sure. But right now I see a player who is under performing. He can easily be the best WR in this draft class besides White but that soley depends on how hard he wants to work when he gets into the NFL. He lets the ball come to him. He needs to snap and become more aggressive.

You're free to agree / disagree but this is what my draft board looks like. It's going to change drastically based on where these guys land. But right now these are the only players on my radar. I know I have a few notable guys like Green-Beckham, Parker, and Strong off my list. But I don't see "superstar" on their tape.

I've only looked at everyone's tape once. I plan on combing through all the prospects once or twice more before the draft. But these are the 14 guys who really stuck out to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't feel the same about Cooper as you, but that's fine. We all like who we like. However I just can not see how he is like Crabtree. Maybe it's a stature thing or a combine thing or heck, maybe I am forgetting how Crabtree played, but I don't remember seeing the separation ability that Cooper has in Crabtree's game. Maybe I am just remembering it wrong?

More so than the rankings, I completely disagree with your comparisons and reasoning behind the rankings

This is simply poor work.
Or he doesn't fall into group think. He explained his reasons for each whether we agree or disagree. Better than most stuff around here.
I do agree with this. I made a comment asking where DeVante Parker was, but my assumption is that he just forgot him. Admittedly it's possible that he ranks him behind his honorable mention guys as well. With rookies it's hard to really say anyone is "wrong" in their rankings. It should be subjective.

Or he doesn't fall into group think. He explained his reasons for each whether we agree or disagree. Better than most stuff around here.
I do agree with this. I made a comment asking where DeVante Parker was, but my assumption is that he just forgot him. Admittedly it's possible that he ranks him behind his honorable mention guys as well. With rookies it's hard to really say anyone is "wrong" in their rankings. It should be subjective.
He did state the following in his OP: "I know I have a few notable guys like Green-Beckham, Parker, and Strong off my list. But I don't see 'superstar' on their tape."

is that what people want, lists that are not like others and maybe inaccurate then accurate ones because they are like most? is it possible the reason most lists are a like year after year are because the majority people who know more then us posting here see the same thing?

there is more to seeing superstar talent then just watching one youtube video. i am not trying to discourage posts but i trust the years of experience of scouts with a career to lose over a guy sharing a bunch of "i thinks" from watching a youtube highlight video. plus when you leave off players many have said is a top 3 wr isnt really helpful but maybe thats just me.

this seems like this is a post which is more about the poster then a post trying to help the people reading it.

Eminence front...it's a put on, it's a put on, it's a put on

Actually, I don't think that at all. I appreciate the post but just couldn't resist the obvious opportunity to quote the Who!!!

For one, I think Yeldon is underrated. I may not put him at three, but I agree with the concept.

I like Eminences take on Yeldon and agree he's being very underrated. He does move well and has very quick feet for a bigger back.

I don't think you watched Melvin Gordon if you don't think tape showed him breaking tackles or going up the gut.

I agree on the Yeldon front too. Would love to hear your Davante Parker take cause I am not a fan of his either. I put him high out of respect because that's what the consensus is, and I think you should maybe incorporate the same approach a little bit. Using what you see and your opinions on guys is great, but at some point you have to recognize that NFL evaluators are putting guys like Parker/DGB as 1st round draft picks. There's more than 7 guys in your top12 that could possible NOT be 1st round picks in the NFL draft, so how can you justify that? Putting those guys ahead of Parker/DGB even if you don't like them doesn't make sense to me.

I agree on the Yeldon front too. Would love to hear your Davante Parker take cause I am not a fan of his either. I put him high out of respect because that's what the consensus is, and I think you should maybe incorporate the same approach a little bit. Using what you see and your opinions on guys is great, but at some point you have to recognize that NFL evaluators are putting guys like Parker/DGB as 1st round draft picks. There's more than 7 guys in your top12 that could possible NOT be 1st round picks in the NFL draft, so how can you justify that? Putting those guys ahead of Parker/DGB even if you don't like them doesn't make sense to me.
I'll definitely make some adjustments post draft. This was all done based on my eyeballs. I think it's much more likely that I'm missing something than vice versa. But I don't want to just throw names on a list because I'm supposed to have them ranked highly.

If Parker or DGB get drafted in the 1st, I'll have to do some due diligence on them and see what's truly going on. I think DGB has great potential but I couldn't help but think "James Hardy" when watching him play. I could definitely be wrong but I don't see the same finesse I did in Kelvin Benjamin this time last year.

He did state the following in his OP: "I know I have a few notable guys like Green-Beckham, Parker, and Strong off my list. But I don't see 'superstar' on their tape."
Missed that.

I'll definitely make some adjustments post draft. This was all done based on my eyeballs. I think it's much more likely that I'm missing something than vice versa. But I don't want to just throw names on a list because I'm supposed to have them ranked highly.

If Parker or DGB get drafted in the 1st, I'll have to do some due diligence on them and see what's truly going on. I think DGB has great potential but I couldn't help but think "James Hardy" when watching him play. I could definitely be wrong but I don't see the same finesse I did in Kelvin Benjamin this time last year.
12 reference to "I, I'll, I'm or My" in two thoughts when the discussion is supposed to be about players with every single sentence having one in it.

If you would actually like to talk about why you dont like Parker I am all ears though.

I went ahead and looked over Parker and Green-Beckham again. I see the allure of Parker. But Beckham doesn't do much for me. I get a small Andre Johnson vibe from watching Parker.

He doesn't seem to have a huge range of motion. He has this one decent cut he uses to make defenses miss but I don't see much besides that and his frame that is going to allow him to rack up YAC at a high level in the NFL. He does have good hops and knows how to box out a defender for the ball.

I can see him struggling to gain separation on quicker Defensive Backs. I also think a significant injury and he'd have trouble making plays. I don't think he has much athleticism to lose.

Edit:

I'd have to compare him to Perriman to see who I'd rank as my #3 WR prospect. I notice he beats a lot of double coverage and I want to see how he fares against Perriman in that respect.

Why are people questioning a list that was made while the OP was drunk? He said "I'm a little drunk". That makes the whole list irrelevant and you should already know not to question it. Lol

OK, so I figure the best time to chime in on a drunk list is when I'm.....well, drunk.

Yeldon - ahhhh, might be too early for me for a one-dimensional (aka, bad hands) back with a history of fumblitis. Personally I won't touch him before the mid 2nd of a 12 team ppr draft. He's a taller Stevan Ridley to me.

No offense but the Crabtree / Cooper correlation doesn't make any sense to me. The only similarities I see in them is height. Crabtree has never had the ability to separate from defenders as he doesn't have the speed or quickness. Cooper's explosion numbers and game tape are very good by anyone's standards plus has very big and proven hands. He's easily top 3 to me if not the #1 in dynasty PPR, assuming OAK doesn't take him and destroy any value he ever dreamed of having.

And just a hunch but, Melvin Gordon and Ajaai will rise in your rankings post NFL draft and Tevin Coleman, Abdullah and both Johnson's will drop when we see what NFL scouts, coaches and GMs think about them.

Fun list though. Always good to see another take.....

I see you have Gurley as the 1st RB taken off the board. Aren't you concerned of his injury being

a detriment enough to put him further down the mock?

I get that there is some appeal looking at something going against the grain. Reality is that its a fools errand. Some guy on the internet that calls himself "Eminence" watches a youtube highlight package of the top 20 or so prospects. He doesn't see "superstar" in DGB, Strong or Parker. The NFL will weigh in on this shortly, and likely make all three of them 1st round picks. Parker will probably go somewhere between 4th and 15th overall. DGB before 20, and Strong between 15-32. The other guys that he's putting ahead of them based on his extensive film review? Mostly late 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

Personally, I bump RBs up between 1/2 and a full round compared to the WRs. The NFL seems to devalue them to some extent. But that means that the RB needs to go late 1 or very early 2 to compete with a WR taken in the top 15.

Eminence is pumping up Yeldon here, using his high ranking of LeVeon Bell to support this idea. (Bell was the 2nd RB taken in 2013 btw, 48th overall, so ranking him over Patterson (29th), Hunter (34th) Hopkins (27th), wasn't that big of a stretch, if that is what Eminence did). I happen to be higher on Yeldon than most. But the odds are very low he goes in the top 50, and even lower that he's handed the keys to a situation like the Cowboy offense. That's pretty much the only way I'd consider him with the likes of Cooper/Parker/Gordon.

The fact is the NFL teams are getting WAY better at evaluating talent. They have infinitely more inside information and skilled resources than any or all of us do. Your best bet at beating your league mate is adapting the NFL draft to your particular scoring system, and devaluing the guys that get drafted for return abilities if your league doesn't reward that. If you truly want to make it your own, and I think we all do to some extent, rerank the guys in the tiers within the range where they were drafted. e.g. 2013 when Hopkins (27th), Patterson (29th), Hunter (34th) were all drafted very close to one another. Do your own research and figure out whom you like to succeed the most based on situation and any other factor that you may value. Rank them closely on your list, but put them in the order you like.

Think you're ranking a bunch of RB's too high, missing on DGB and Parker big time. I'm not a Strong fan either. Appreciate the effort though. I don't know how much of your FFA stuff is schtick but I think that your Shark Pool work is 100% honest, even if it's not 100% helpful. Every voice adds to the conversation.

I get that there is some appeal looking at something going against the grain. Reality is that its a fools errand. Some guy on the internet that calls himself "Eminence" watches a youtube highlight package of the top 20 or so prospects. He doesn't see "superstar" in DGB, Strong or Parker. The NFL will weigh in on this shortly, and likely make all three of them 1st round picks. Parker will probably go somewhere between 4th and 15th overall. DGB before 20, and Strong between 15-32. The other guys that he's putting ahead of them based on his extensive film review? Mostly late 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.
this. very little reasoning and just a bunch of i thinks like we should just take his word for it on top of it he willing says "he was drunk."

if you have a list this against the grain you need more reason then just "he is nimble."

not a single stat, number or reference to back up his reasoning.

4.) RB - Ameer Abdullah

Plenty of people are going to chastize me for this pick but he's one of those guys that just has "it". When it comes to playmakers I primarily look for two things.

This guy has an entire highlight reel of juking out defenders and breaking through tackles. I don't care what his 40 times says. He's going to hit the field and create chaos. I see a little bit of Darren Sproles and a little bit of Jahvid Best.

as a reader what am i supposed to gain from this, this is not a thread to help readers like me.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. The whole thing is a process. I honestly am a few months behind where I was last year. Normally I'll do three sets of dynasty rankings. Pre-Combine, Post-Combine, Post-Draft. I'll link my rankings from last year:

Pre-Combine

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=703873&hl

Post-Combine

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/705088-my-dynasty-rookie-rankings-post-combine/

Post-Draft

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/707409-2014-rookie-rankings/

As you can see, the rankings became progressively more accurate as we got closer to the season.

this. very little reasoning and just a bunch of i thinks like we should just take his word for it on top of it he willing says "he was drunk."

if you have a list this against the grain you need more reason then just "he is nimble."

4.) RB - Ameer Abdullah

as a reader what am i supposed to gain from this, this is not a thread to help readers like me.
I think you're overthinking it. The prerequisite to stats is talent. If a guy is talented but misused in College, he's going to have crappy stats. I'm more impressed by a guy like Abdullah turning nothing into something than I am watching Gordon run through gaping holes and turning the corner to pad his YPC.Generally the only stat I take into consideration are TD numbers for WR. For instance both Benjamin and Hopkins scored 18+ Touchdowns. That doesn't just happen by accident, imo.

I think you also have to consider that there will be busts. Every year there are a few 1 - 3rd Round guys that are busts and a few late round guys who shine. If you only consider the early round guys, your lists will never be 100% accurate.

It takes balls to say this 1st Round guy will bust but it does happen. To not go out on a limb at any point and follow groupthink will only serve to hurt you longterm, imo.

David Johnson @ #8 s a joke
What don't you like about him? I see a prototypical workhorse runner who sheds arm tackles, is a threat in the passing game, and has a great juke move. Falls forward for extra yardage.

He's a definite upgrade to what a few teams have going on at RB.

4.) RB - Ameer Abdullah

I think you're overthinking it. The prerequisite to stats is talent. If a guy is talented but misused in College, he's going to have crappy stats. I'm more impressed by a guy like Abdullah turning nothing into something than I am watching Gordon run through gaping holes and turning the corner to pad his YPC.Generally the only stat I take into consideration are TD numbers for WR. For instance both Benjamin and Hopkins scored 18+ Touchdowns. That doesn't just happen by accident, imo.
I think you are over thinking it a bit some times when a player is so good they make it look so easy like they are just running through a gaping hole and turning the corner.

To your TD for WR comment, Braylon Edwards I promise that happened by accident?

Why are people questioning a list that was made while the OP was drunk? He said "I'm a little drunk". That makes the whole list irrelevant and you should already know not to question it. Lol
Knowing the op's posting...it wouldnt have mattered if he was sober.

Note to self: Only start threads that are helpful to readers like VarsityBlues123.

ETA: For those of you harshly criticizing Eminence's rankings, please attach a link to your list. I'd hate to think you're sitting in the peanut gallery without having put forth your own efforts. TIA.
Please do not think then.

I think this is a great thread.

I don't get the notion of why so many people crucify a guy when his "picks" aren't the consensus of what they have seen 99% of the time from every where else.

Go back and look at all these "experts" over the years. They routinely miss all over the place.

Lists like this, I find, are GREAT because they challenge me, as the reader, to get out of the rut of "YEah yeah yeah...Gurley, Cooper, Gordon, White...blah blah blah" and to actually consider another perspective on other players.

These are his post draft rankings from 2014:

1.) Brandin Cooks - WR - Saints

2.) Sammy Watkins - WR - Bills

3.) Mike Evans - WR - Buccaneers

4.) Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Panthers

5.) Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals

6) Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans

7.) Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

8.) Davante Adams - WR - Packers

9.) Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

10.) Andre Williams - RB - Giants

If you were to rank that 2014 class using what I suggest upthread in post #30, this is what you would have gotten instead:

Tier 1:

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Mike Evans

3. Eric Ebron

4. Odell Beckham

Tier 2:

5. Brandin Cooks

6. Bishop Sankey

7. Kelvin Benjamin

8. Jeremy Hill

9. Carlos Hyde

Tier 3:

10. ASJ

11. Marqise Lee

12. Jordan Matthews

13. Tre Mason

14. Davante Adams

15. Cody Latimer

16. Jarvis Landry

17. Allen Robinson

18. Jace Amaro

19. Jerick McKinnon

20. Terrance West

Insert Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr according to your scoring.

What is important to note here is that you personalize this to your own preferences and scoring system WITHIN each tier. No matter what you do, you are going to have some misses. Using a system like this gives you your best bet in preventing egregious mistakes. You don't end up taking Andre Williams over Odell Beckham under any circumstances. If you don't like Parker/DGB/Strong, that's fine. Drop them to the bottom of that tier.

Again, I get the appeal of looking at something going against the grain. If it makes you think, great. It should also make you think when a multi-billion dollar industry that spends tens of millions of dollars annually to evaluate players, takes one player ahead of another. Make no mistake, the NFL is getting better at this process. There will always be misses, but betting against them in a big way will always be a fools errand.

These are his post draft rankings from 2014:

1.) Brandin Cooks - WR - Saints

2.) Sammy Watkins - WR - Bills

3.) Mike Evans - WR - Buccaneers

4.) Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Panthers

5.) Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals

6) Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans

7.) Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

8.) Davante Adams - WR - Packers

9.) Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

10.) Andre Williams - RB - Giants

If you were to rank that 2014 class using what I suggest upthread in post #30, this is what you would have gotten instead:

Tier 1:

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Mike Evans

3. Eric Ebron

4. Odell Beckham

Tier 2:

5. Brandin Cooks

6. Bishop Sankey

7. Kelvin Benjamin

8. Jeremy Hill

9. Carlos Hyde

Tier 3:

10. ASJ

11. Marqise Lee

12. Jordan Matthews

13. Tre Mason

14. Davante Adams

15. Cody Latimer

16. Jarvis Landry

17. Allen Robinson

18. Jace Amaro

19. Jerick McKinnon

20. Terrance West

Insert Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr according to your scoring.

What is important to note here is that you personalize this to your own preferences and scoring system WITHIN each tier. No matter what you do, you are going to have some misses. Using a system like this gives you your best bet in preventing egregious mistakes. You don't end up taking Andre Williams over Odell Beckham under any circumstances. If you don't like Parker/DGB/Strong, that's fine. Drop them to the bottom of that tier.

Again, I get the appeal of looking at something going against the grain. If it makes you think, great. It should also make you think when a multi-billion dollar industry that spends tens of millions of dollars annually to evaluate players, takes one player ahead of another. Make no mistake, the NFL is getting better at this process. There will always be misses, but betting against them in a big way will always be a fools errand.
To be fair, those were redraft rankings. I wasn't going to put Beckham on my list of Top 10 prospects to produce that year when he was nursing an injury.My post combine rankings which was more indicative of longterm success had Beckham at 6th overall. It also had Seastrunk at #4, so there's that.

1.) Sammy Watkins (WR)

2.) Jeremy Hill (RB)

3.) Mike Evans (WR)

4.) Lache Seastrunk (RB)

5.) Tre Mason (RB)

6.) Odell Beckham Jr. (WR)

7.) Andre Williams (RB)

8.) Kelvin Benjamin (WR)

9.) Bishop Sankey (RB)

10.) Marqise Lee (WR)

Ka'deem Carey (RB)

De'Anthony Thomas (WR / RB)

Davante Adams (WR)

Jarvis Landry (WR)

On the fringe...

I do agree with what you're saying overall and I have no doubts my observations will change once I see who is drafted and when. I do this for fun, not trying to tout my scouting prowess in any way. Nothing feels better than picking a late round guy who actually ends up being a decent talent.

It's not like I had Beckham as my #6 prospect post-combine saw him get drafted in the 1st Round and then dropped him out of my Top 10. :P

Why do some feel the need to try and show up one mans opinion? I appreciate that you just don't regurgitate the so called experts information.

I guess my problem with your write-up is the lack of meaningful football insight to back up your rankings. I'll just use your writeup on Gurley as an example.

1.) RB - Todd Gurley

He's the crown jewel of this draft class.
ok.

There are obviously injury concerns and it's a real drag he ended up getting hurt.
Yes, everyone knows about the injury concerns.

But if you watch his tape, you know he is legit.
Links? Legit in what facet of the game, exactly? How does he compare to others? "Watch his tape he's legit bro" does not seem insightful to me.

Anyone who drafts him is planning on giving him the lion's share of the carries right away.
Really? Why? What's your reasoning here? You don't think teams might try to ease him back in after the injury? Seems like one of those 'buzzphrases', "oh dude he's going to get the lions share of carries!"

He's a guy you want if you're picking 1.01.
What?

Even if you end up trading him he's the biggest hyped RB since AP.
He is?

I guess I just don't think there's much actual insight in your write-up, but I appreciate the time you put in and I know you actually apply effort to doing it, so there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread